• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Not counting Piranha Plant.

I think one of the DLC characters is so going to be Available...today! March direct with Joker maybe (probably not)

(They did that 2 twice last time with Roy/Ryu/Lucas and Cloud).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Not counting Piranha Plant.

I think one of the DLC characters is so going to be Available...today! March direct with Joker maybe (probably not)

(They did that 2 twice last time with Roy/Ryu/Lucas and Cloud).
I think it'll be the fourth character. Revealed and released in November alongside the reveal for the final character.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is "Jack" the one that's on the nose? I feel like there'd be a lot more speculation if we didn't know who it was already, but I guess the only other character I can think of is Raiden...
Nah, Brave. It's a direct English translation of Yuusha, which is just how the character is actually referred to as in Japanese. If you want to hide the tracks of your character, that is a pretty weak name to use. Jack, conversely, is a lot more obscure, the most obvious connection in hindsight is Jack Frost - but even then you can make a whole lot of guesses as to which Atlus character that would be (a bunch of people figured they'd go for SMTV's protagonist over Persona 5).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree with this in a world where the Cars films and The Good Dinosaur exist.
Those movies are just awful in general. Merida is the single worst part of Brave and the whole movie hinges on her being an unrelentingly selfish, thoughtless brat that only apologizes at the last possible moment the plot will allow, and then she faces no punishment for her callous, utter stupidity. She should have been grounded for a goddamn decade.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Nah, Brave. It's a direct English translation of Yuusha, which is just how the character is actually referred to as in Japanese. If you want to hide the tracks of your character, that is a pretty weak name to use. Jack, conversely, is a lot more obscure, the most obvious connection in hindsight is Jack Frost - but even then you can make a whole lot of guesses as to which Atlus character that would be (a bunch of people figured they'd go for SMTV's protagonist over Persona 5).
Hmmm. Idk if I agree with it being on the nose. "Yuusha" is a really common word in Japanese, and also translates to "hero," though that's not as literal. "Brave" is also a direct translation of "bureibu," another word used often enough in games. I think it feels a lot more on the nose because of how likely of a contender DQ is for DLC, personally.

In fact, thinking of translations in the other direction (English to Japanese) yields wayyy more results than it ever should haha they really like the concept of being brave in Japan, I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Joker and Erdrick are both released at the same time, during E3. The E3 direct shows a prerendered trailer mixed with gameplay, like Simon and Richter's were. Starts with just Joker, but Erdrick appears half way through and challenges him to a fight. They both are available at the end of the direct.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I think Joker and Erdrick are both released at the same time, during E3. The E3 direct shows a prerendered trailer mixed with gameplay, like Simon and Richter's were. Starts with just Joker, but Erdrick appears half way through and challenges him to a fight. They both are available at the end of the direct.
I don't think they'll release any of the packs at the same time. I think we'll get a Joker gameplay trailer during the inevitable March Nintendo Direct (to line up with the P5R announcement in March), with a release date in the next month. I think they could show a teaser for Erdrick in the March Direct, but I could also see them revealing and releasing them at E3 (alongside a teaser for Pack 3, because they'll probably want to show a character more geared towards American audiences at E3).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt they'd have revealed Joker in December if they planned on releasing him six months later.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Joker release in April tbh. Willing to bet on it.
I agree. I am 100% certain that they'll show gameplay in the March Nintendo Direct, and then release him in April.

They have 6 characters to release this year. Some of them will have to be close to each other release wise.
Technically, the Fighters Pass content is supposed to be released by February 2020. I think one of the characters will release in early 2020.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nah. Joker is gonna be shown at the Persona event.
I don't think so. They'll probably mention Smash during the Persona event in March, but it won't be where they will premiere his gameplay trailer (showing a new Smash character trailer during a Japan-Only TV broadcast would be a new one). The Persona 5 Switch port will probably be revealed during that event though.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joker release in April tbh. Willing to bet on it.
I agree with this. I don't know why, but I've thought the first character would be April ever since the pre-release direct. Just kind of makes sense in terms of how many characters there are to release and when they said they would be released by.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. They'll probably mention Smash during the Persona event in March, but it won't be where they will premiere his gameplay trailer (showing a new Smash character trailer during a Japan-Only TV broadcast would be a new one). The Persona 5 Switch port will probably be revealed during that event though.

Did The Game Awards stream in Japan? Did it have a (relatively) large audience?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
This seems kinda dumb to me.

If they wanted to hide the identities of characters from data-miners, wouldn't they just call them "Fighter Pack Character #1" or something else that's 100% vague?

Yeah, seriously. Does anyone have a logical answer for this? lol

Every time I environs a SEGA All-Stars fighting game, I imagine him being a mech character using a redesigned cyclone with arms. His ultimate would have the cyclone transforming into an airplane. I feel like having him be another physical character who punches and kicks would be a bit boring.

Don't even get me started on a SEGA Smash clone. I've wanted one for so long now.

A Tails like you described could totally work in a SEGA fighter, but in Smash it would probably be a non-starter since SA2/SA2B are almost 20 years old (wow) at this point and Tails being permanently affixed to a mech would confuse a ton of people who never played those games (although SA2B is supposedly the all-time best-selling third-party game on GameCube so there are also a lot of people who would get the reference). A quick Final Smash with the mech stomping around would make sense and fit the magnitude of most other Final Smashes.

Thinking realistically though, the best candidate for Tails' FS is probably the classic Tornado biplane. He could zoom around the screen colliding into other fighters much like Sonic's Super Sonic FS. I'd be all for that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yes, the Game Awards did stream on Japanese sites like NicoNico. My main point is that the Persona event is a TV Broadcast. Everyone involved would want as many people to watch a Smash gameplay trailer live, and showing his trailer on Japanese TV would not accomplish that.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if it did but everyone was so convinced Smash wouldn't show up at a non-Nintendo curated event so we're pretty much over the point where we need a Nintendo event to see a Smash character, let alone one that has already been revealed. The character's existence is known, that's the most important part. All Nintendo needs to do is post a gameplay montage and release date on Twitter and people will get to it (Bayonetta and Corrin release dates were basically dropped on Twitter).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
All Nintendo needs to do is post a gameplay montage and release date on Twitter and people will get to it (Bayonetta and Corrin release dates were basically dropped on Twitter).
A gameplay trailer is still a big deal (definitely bigger than a release date), even if the character's identity was already know. They will air the Joker gameplay trailer in a place where international audiences can watch it live, I am 100% certain of that. I don't even know why I have to argue this lol.

Was Mewtwo's gameplay trailer shown after an episode of the Pokémon anime and just tweeted out for international audiences? No, of course not.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A gameplay trailer is still a big deal (definitely bigger than a release date), even if the character's identity was already know. They will air the Joker gameplay trailer in a place where international audiences can watch it live, I am 100% certain of that. I don't even know why I have to argue this lol

(Shulk's trailer from Smash 4 says "hi.")

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A gameplay trailer is still a big deal (definitely bigger than a release date), even if the character's identity was already know. They will air the Joker gameplay trailer in a place where international audiences can watch it live, I am 100% certain of that. I don't even know why I have to argue this lol.

Was Mewtwo's gameplay trailer shown after an episode of the Pokémon anime and just tweeted out for international audiences? No, of course not.
Which episode of the Pokémon anime was followed by a multitude of Pokémon announcements? The Persona event is literally there to announce several projects. Having Joker's game play reveal there works just fine.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Given Nintendo's recent pattern for announcements, I'm expecting Joker's gameplay trailer and release date to just drop randomly on Twitter./s

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Which episode of the Pokémon anime was followed by a multitude of Pokémon announcements? The Persona event is literally there to announce several projects. Having Joker's game play reveal there works just fine.
Pokémon has a weekly Sunday live-action show that occasionly has new reveals. Revealing Joker's gameplay during that Persona event would be the same as revealing Mewtwo's gameplay during that show.

There, is that better?

This isn't even something worth arguing about. We both agree that Joker will be revealed in March, so who cares where it ends up happening even though you're still wrong about the venue.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I smell an avatar bet a-brewin'...

tumblr_m77rrg6hg51qh3v8zo2_r1_500.gif

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, seriously. Does anyone have a logical answer for this? lol
Likely a logistics thing with coding. Having a completely ambiguous name like that would not only be harder to keep track of, slowing down the process significantly, but it could also add to the likelihood of making a mistake (as would the unnecessary length of the term).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon has a weekly Sunday live-action show that occasionly has new reveals. Revealing Joker's gameplay during that Persona event would be the same as revealing Mewtwo's gameplay during that show.

There, is that better?

This isn't even something worth arguing about. We both agree that Joker will be revealed in March, so who cares where it ends up happening even though you're still wrong about the venue.
It's pretty reductive to boil that entire event down to "it's just a weekly Sunday show" given that the even itself was announced months in advance after the teaser of an announcement. It's a lot bigger than you're giving credit for.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's pretty reductive to boil that entire event down to "it's just a weekly Sunday show" given that the even itself was announced months in advance after the teaser of an announcement. It's a lot bigger than you're giving credit for.
Yeah, it will be a big event for Persona. They will probably mention Joker in Smash during the event, and they might even replay the gameplay trailer if the Direct it will be shown in airs first, but the trailer won't premiere there. How about we turn this into an avatar bet if you want to keep this going.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it will be a big event for Persona. They will probably mention Joker in Smash during the event, and they might even show the gameplay trailer if the Direct it will be shown airs first, but the trailer won't premiere there. How about we turn this into an avatar bet if you want to keep this going.
Well hey, Smash is a big thing for Persona, so there you go. Nothing stopping them from debuting game play footage and for that to go online immediately afterward, especially when Sakurai commented that he wasn't sure how the information rollout would be handled (or whether characters would get trailers).

As for betting, I don't do avatar bets. I generally bet more substantive stuff (like drawn art or some such).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nothing stopping them from debuting game play footage and for that to go online immediately afterward, especially when Sakurai commented that he wasn't sure how the information rollout would be handled (or whether characters would get trailers).
Eh, i'm not really thinking about Sakurai's perspective when talking about the reveal schedule. It benefits Nintendo the most to show the gameplay trailer during a livestream easily accessible for everyone on the internet. I don't really have any interest in discussing this further though (since this is going to keep going in circles).

As for betting, I don't do avatar bets. I generally bet more substantive stuff (like drawn art or some such).
If I knew how to draw well I would take you up on a bet, but i'll back off on this one.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair's fair. Frankly I'm not ruling out Nintendo revealing the game play themselves. I just feel the information rollout might not follow the same pattern we're used to.

Food for thought while we're on the topic of Directs, depending on when the next one is held, it does raise the question of whether a March Direct is even a guarantee. If you look at past Direct schedules, barring Nintendo's E3 Directs, we only get two "general" Directs per year nowadays. Last year we only had a March and September Direct, though January did have a "Mini" Direct. In 2017 there was also only two general Directs (plus the Switch live presentation and E3). There's still a bunch of game specific Directs obviously, but I reckon Smash will get itself an E3 mini Direct the same way it got back in 2015.

I wouldn't be shocked if 2019 similarly also only has two general Directs throughout the year, plus E3, so unless we get another Direct Mini this month, I'm expecting March to not have a General Switch Direct - but I would assume it's going to have to be a big Direct soon because their 2019 schedule so far looks really empty and only Yoshi has a date. Based on what people have been saying, they have a big year ahead, so there's most likely going to be a Direct soon.

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So as much as I want to see Dixie as a DLC character I'm pretty past the point of expecting her at all in Ultimate, I think she will sadly have to wait until the next title.

But I do want to bring this up--after all of the discussion by people that she is just an "obvious" Diddy Kong echo... in her Spirit Battle she's not represented by Diddy Kong, she's an Isabelle alongside a Diddy Kong. So there.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'll release any of the packs at the same time. I think we'll get a Joker gameplay trailer during the inevitable March Nintendo Direct (to line up with the P5R announcement in March), with a release date in the next month. I think they could show a teaser for Erdrick in the March Direct, but I could also see them revealing and releasing them at E3 (alongside a teaser for Pack 3, because they'll probably want to show a character more geared towards American audiences at E3).
I dunno, characters seem to take a while to make. Joker wasn't even playable as of a few weeks ago. We got 3 characters released at the same time at E3 2015, I could see it happen again this year.
I really doubt they'd have revealed Joker in December if they planned on releasing him six months later.
They did the same for Mewtwo in Smash 4. Reveal in November 2014, release in April 2015.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So as much as I want to see Dixie as a DLC character I'm pretty past the point of expecting her at all in Ultimate, I think she will sadly have to wait until the next title.

But I do want to bring this up--after all of the discussion by people that she is just an "obvious" Diddy Kong echo... in her Spirit Battle she's not represented by Diddy Kong, she's an Isabelle alongside a Diddy Kong. So there.

It makes perfect sense. Much like how Isabelle is a semi-clone of Villager, Dixie should be a semi-clone of Diddy.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dixie would be fine as a Lucas-level clone. Hair grab, hair recovery, a few other moves but most of it can still be cloned from Diddy.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
For what it's worth, (correct me if it's a mistranslation) Joker can introduce himself like a Jack Frost in Persona Q2 :P
I'm not familiar with the Persona games, but you're right from what I can tell from a quick search. Joker uses Jack's style of speech if you choose the option.

You've uncovered the perfect link!

Status
Not open for further replies.