• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be a bunch of people that buy Joker and have no idea that this is a thing.

Unless he comes with some big disclaimer that's like "These are all airsoft guns!"
I actually am not sure if they'll include Joker's gun in Smash or not. It does look like a real gun and could pass for one. While Bayonetta's guns are not like something you see normally, they do look somewhat realistic, and I'm surprised they were let in Smash.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the "No realistic firearms" thing kind of hurts Doomguys chances a bit. I'm in the minority that believes that if a Bethesda character gets in, it'll be Dragonborn
It's also weird to me what they consider a "realistic firearm" and what they don't.

Snake's Grenade Launcher and Rocket Launcher are technically realistic firearms, and they're in. I feel like the fact that he just straight up doesn't have guns is a moveset choice at that point (and it sort of was back in Brawl), because it seems like splitting hairs to allow Bayonetta's guns, Rocket Launchers, Grenade Launchers, hand grenades, C4, etc.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just edit Joker's gun 4kids style
latest

PROBLEM SOLVED
Next we can approach a potential lack of lyrical P5 tracks by creating a unique new Persona 5 rap for mymusic

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's also weird to me what they consider a "realistic firearm" and what they don't.

Snake's Grenade Launcher and Rocket Launcher are technically realistic firearms, and they're in. I feel like the fact that he just straight up doesn't have guns is a moveset choice at that point (and it sort of was back in Brawl), because it seems like splitting hairs to allow Bayonetta's guns, Rocket Launchers, Grenade Launchers, hand grenades, C4, etc.

They aren't going to include weapons civilians could actually use. Good luck getting a ten year old to get his hands on a rocket launcher.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I want Dante but I really don't want Reuben Langdon.
If Dante gets in Smash now, he'd probably still be voiced by Reuben Langdon. If Capcom's gonna kick Reuben to the curb (which I'm not sure about since Itsuno & Reuben are buddy-buddy, plus the mo-cap studio that Reuben co-owns is popular with the likes of Capcom & Sony), their first opportunity to do so would be to recast Ken for Street Fighter VI (whenever that happens). Either way, Smash Ultimate is stuck with Reuben thanks to Ken being in the base roster unless NoA wants to re-record his lines (which, while I'd be down for it, would require Capcom USA's approval).

My first suggestion would be to get Matthew Mercer to do both Dante & Ken, but he's already Fei Long in the case of the latter. Maybe they could get Yuri Lowenthal as Ken (SF is unionized, so they'd have more options beyond Mercer & Lowenthal, but it'd become an issue for Smash).

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Persona will get vocal tracks in Smash but they'll all be performed by Hatsune Miku

she's part of the Persona universe so it's fine

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
They aren't going to include weapons civilians could actually use. Good luck getting a ten year old to get his hands on a rocket launcher.

What he said, the distinction seems to be "Nothing an ordinary person could get"

Of course they COULD just give Doomguy his iconic melee attacks, but it just doesn't seem right without the ol' shotgun. BFG might be an option though

I think somebody like say Heavy Weapons Guy (Despite being a never-ever) might have a little more wiggle-room in this department since he is a very cartoony character and his signature weapon is one no ordinary person could get their hands on

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Off topic but I'm REALLY surprised we haven't gotten extra costumes/skins for some characters, whether it be paid or free. I'd personally like to see within reason

Mega Man - Proto Man, Bass
Link - Zora Armor, Magic Armor, OoT, Twilight Princess
Donkey Kong - Punch Out Wii
Young Link - Razor Sword/Gilded Sword + Mirror Shield
Ganondorf - Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors
Snake - Big Boss
Luigi - Mr. L
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Yoshi - Boshi
Cloud - KH Cloud
Zelda - Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors, BOTW

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they couldn't even get any official artwork for Cloud's spirits

any additional Cloud Content is definitely too much to hope for

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The irony is if the SMRPG cast was owned by Nintendo they would still be collecting dust.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The irony is if the SMRPG cast was owned by Nintendo they would still be collecting dust.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't get why Geno fans keep saying "ugh, why doesn't Square-Enix just sell him to Nintendo if they're not going to be using him!", when in reality it's not like Nintendo would ever do anything with him either outside of maybe super small cameos. Such are the ways of being a Nintendo owned character not actually created by them...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, pretty much. I don't get why Geno fans keep saying "ugh, why doesn't Square-Enix just sell him to Nintendo if they're not going to be using him!", when in reality it's not like Nintendo would ever do anything with him either outside of maybe super small cameos. Such are the ways of being a Nintendo owned character not actually created by them...

I mean just look what it took to get K. Rool back.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if we are going to see similar situation for Lana or another HW character like 10 years later since Toei probably co-owned the right

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the people that made SMRPG still make games for Nintendo I don't think it's farfetched to think they'd have reused characters if they could.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I meant for Smash Bros.
Ah. Well, I don't see any complications rising. Koei Tecmo isn't Square Enix. If Sakurai asked for a character to use, particularly a character that both KT and Nintendo had some level of co-ownership over, they wouldn't be against it. They certainly did nothing to block Yuri appearing as an AT with Fatal Frame visual/sound effects.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we are going to see similar situation for Lana or another HW character like 10 years later since Toei probably co-owned the right
I meant for Smash Bros.

Hyrule Warriors didn't even get anything in Ultimate, lmao

Like the only reason Geno even made some kind of appearance in Smash 4 and Ultimate is because of the cult following he's had. I don't think Lana or the other HW originals have that going for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors didn't even get anything in Ultimate, lmao

Like the only reason Geno even made some kind of appearance in Smash 4 and Ultimate is because of the cult following he's had. I don't think Lana or the other HW warriors have that going for them.

Yup, I wasn't surprised that we didn't see any Hyrule Warrior contents in Smash Bros but I'm speaking as what if the group who like to back Lana has been growing over the time in 10-15 years where Lana support would become much similar to Geno support.

I have seen some requests from few fans here for Lana but outside of ERA, not much. I'm really curious to see if the fanbase would multiple over the time or not. I think Zelda fans are more focused on one-time characters from mainline games.

Ah. Well, I don't see any complications rising. Koei Tecmo isn't Square Enix. If Sakurai asked for a character to use, particularly a character that both KT and Nintendo had some level of co-ownership over, they wouldn't be against it. They certainly did nothing to block Yuri appearing as an AT with Fatal Frame visual/sound effects.

Oh yeah. Yuri being AT is a thing in Smash Bros. She just feel like a Nintendo character to me for some reason unfortunately.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So what I'm hearing is people want Wart as a Zelda rep.

Crazy, I played Link's Awakening for the first time a couple years back and somehow completely missed the fact that Wart was in it.

I can imagine all the "But Lana is a super awesome character from a classic game that totally deserves to be in over (insert Main protagonist from current big game/franchise here)!" fueled by a comment by Sakurai saying he was thinking of putting someone from Hyrule Warriors as a possible character.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the people that made SMRPG still make games for Nintendo I don't think it's farfetched to think they'd have reused characters if they could.

Nah, at some point, Nintendo seems to have put some kind of brand guidelines that heavily limited the use of Mario characters created by people outside of their core teams. Just look at Paper Mario - for a while Paper Mario characters were even being added to games like 64 DS (Goomboss) and Mario Party (Star Spirits), but nowadays they aren't even used by Paper Mario itself.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I mean hey, there was that one interview with a producer at Alphadream who was talking about Geno and Mallow.
"I was wondering if that might be some way to approach using Geno and Mallow in a future game, so that we'd still be able to look for fun new ideas like Mr. Ohtani was talking about. We wouldn't get bogged down, but we could still provide a view of these characters for fans who really want to see one."

If anyone was going to use them it'd definitely be them (for obvious reasons that I probably don't need to explain).

Nintendo literally doesn't allow RPG original characters anymore.
I mean, we just got two remakes chock-full of original characters, and the latter of them even introduced new characters in the added sub-mode.

So this isn't really true at all.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
We have Mario Rabbids spirits and Tokyo Mirage spirits, so it's not like third party games starring Nintendo characters couldn't have gotten, at least, a spirit or two

I guess the difference there is that Nintendo published Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Mario + Rabbids (in Japan for the latter). Hyrule Warriors meanwhile, was only published by Nintendo in the west, whereas Koei Tecmo had the honor in Japan. Same thing with Fire Emblem Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.