• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That picture also seems to betray what appears to be Joker's idle stance:

Joker_In-Game_Model.png

Unless it's some weird mid-frame animation.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I don't entirely buy this one at all (just from the content alone) because I think 3.0 will have a bit more to it than that: Mii Costume Wave 1 (pretty likely), an online sharing function for Mii Fighters and Custom Stages (fairly possible; it was in Smash 4) and Smash World integration (has to happen at some point).

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I always find the meta game of fakes interesting. You have to think there's people making these wanting to go full believability by making very conservative leaks or some where they throw in a wild swerve that sounds crazy but juuuuust believable enough that it's consistant with past announcements and reveals. And then there's some people who just don't try whatsoever. They're so boring.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't entirely buy this one at all (just from the content alone) because I think 3.0 will have a bit more to it than that: Mii Costume Wave 1 (pretty likely), an online sharing function for Mii Fighters and Custom Stages (fairly possible; it was in Smash 4) and Smash World integration (has to happen at some point).
Oh my God, I completely forgot about Smash World.

What the fuck happened to that? Splatoon's mobile stuff came out super fast.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
curious that this felt the need to specify the launch in Japan

would imply the release isn't simultaneous if it's real, which would be... a departure

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
That "leaked" screen looks pretty awful -- like, it doesn't even remotely resemble Smash Bros.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The pose feels like it's trying to evoke the victory screen of Persona 5:

persona5-3.jpg

It's not a straight rip but for whatever reason they decided he would be posed like this. I doubt there would be a reason to have this specific pose in-game (maybe as a victory screen).

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Duel Smash sounds stupid enough for this to be real. I get people were missing the For Glory set up but that doesn't mean that we just want FD stages at least have BF for fucks sake.

Actually if we can switch characters again then maybe it won't be so bad still though it would be Nintendo to think people finding For Glory to be superior to the current Quickplay/Elite Smash set up to just bring it back and not even attempt to update it

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That "leaked" screen looks pretty awful -- like, it doesn't even remotely resemble Smash Bros.
yeah, I have no idea what's going on there

I assume it's supposed to be on the new stage, so I guess that red line is the ground and the rest of the details are background? then there's Joker in kind of an awkward pose facing the camera, and there's no other fighters on screen

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely curious as to why some people prefer FD over BF
No one who actually plays competitive Smash thinks FD is the best stage. Hell not even Battlefield is that good of a stage especially in Ultimate. Comp players prefer Pokemon Stadium 2 and Smashville and in some regions have rulesets that have Final Destination as a counterpick meaning that Final Destination fails so badly at being a neutral stage that some are willing to put it under stages that are too disruptive and polarizing to be considered neutral.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So, when Home-Run Contest is added, do you think it and Mob Smash will be merged into a Stadium sub-menu (possibly joined by a few other modes in the future, like Boss Battles) or would it just take up a separate slot on the Games & More menu?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Joker's stage be (P5 spoilers) set in a location that's ostensibly a massive spoiler to the game? Has any Smash game ever spoiled the final boss of a game like that?

I don't buy it.
To be fair unless you already played the game you wouldn't really understand the context of the Holy Grail. With that said it would be weird for them to go with Mementos and not just use the actual Mementos. It's weird they're using a fairly late game area for the stage when they've never really done that before. Hell we don't even have a Bowser's Castle stage closest we've got otherwise is Rainbow Road

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
To be fair unless you already played the game you wouldn't really understand the context of the Holy Grail. With that said it would be weird for them to go with Mementos and not just use the actual Mementos. It's weird they're using a fairly late game area for the stage when they've never really done that before. Hell we don't even have a Bowser's Castle stage closest we've got otherwise is Rainbow Road

They used Wily Castle for Mega Man.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, when Home-Run Contest is added, do you think it and Mob Smash will be merged into a Stadium sub-menu (possibly joined by a few other modes in the future, like Boss Battles) or would it just take up a separate slot on the Games & More menu?
I think it depends on how many more modes they decide to add throughout the rest of the DLC cycle; if it's just Home-Run Contest, they could slot it into the Play row like they did with Stage Builder on the Edit row, but if they add more modes under Games and More (likely, imo), I think they'd condense some under a sub-menu

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to over analyse that image, this was something I noticed from a quick glance

z5DhxZ1.jpg

• The Joker render is pretty much 1:1 identical to the size of the Best Buy leak (took it from this pic)
  • The bottom of the screenshot seems to cut into the render (bottom circle)
  • You can see some white from a bad cut out job (top circle). Someone with access to proper marketing materials would have a PNG to use.
  • And in general around that area it just looks like the hair is more faded out rather than neatly cut out (hence the bottom of the screenshot leaking in)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
A fun comparison with the other 3rd party characters:
  • Snake - Shadow Moses Island = the entire game of MGS1 takes place there, so it's hard to call it a late game area. Ray and the Gekkos could be spoilers for 4 though
  • Sonic - Green Hill Zone/Windy Hill Zone = the first stages of their respective games
  • Mega Man - Wily's Castle = it's always the last part of any game it's in, but the series is old enough to avoid spoiler talk
  • Pac-Man - Pac Maze/Pac-Land = lol
  • Ryu - Suzaku Castle = not a late game area
  • Cloud - Midgar = not a later game area
  • Bayonetta - Umbra Clocktower = 1st setpiece in the game
  • Simon/Richter - Dracula's Castle = the throne room is the final level of Castlevania, but it references all of the earlier bosses and the game is old enough to by immune to spoilers

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't feel this is all that comparable. Porky having a spider mech has been his thing since Earthbound, even if this is the Mother 3 variant. The Smash stage as it's described though gives away one of the biggest twists about Persona 5.

Porky being the main villain of Mother 3 is a huge spoiler. You don't learn this until the last chapter. This applies to the New Pork City stage as well.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel this is all that comparable. Porky having a spider mech has been his thing since Earthbound, even if this is the Mother 3 variant. The Smash stage as it's described though gives away one of the biggest twists about Persona 5.

The stage is a giveaway too. New Pork is the final area of Mother 3 and Brawl released the year after Mother 3 did.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Porky being in Mother 3 is a spoiler in itself, and New Pork City is a late-game area.

You asked if Smash has ever featured a super spoiler-filled area or a end-game boss, and they have done exactly that.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The wording of that japanese text (what isn't really blurry) makes me doubt it's real. I can't find a single other hit in google showing Smash Bros' cast described as "ビデオゲームのすばらしいアイコン" for example. It's usually just "ゲーム", "Video Game" isn't widely used in Japan even if it's not exactly wrong. Also, although using "icon" for iconic characters isn't unknown in Japan, it's not nearly as common as in the West. Most hits for "すばらしいアイコン" are just for good pc/mobile icons (as in symbols/images for programs, not iconic characters and such).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Porky being the main villain of Mother 3 is a huge spoiler. You don't learn this until the last chapter. This applies to the New Pork City stage as well.
Fair enough. That being said, given Mementos is a multi-layered world it seems antithetical to go "hey let's go with the area that has the big twist attached to it" considering Atlus are noted spoilerphobes.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to over analyse that image, this was something I noticed from a quick glance

z5DhxZ1.jpg

• The Joker render is pretty much 1:1 identical to the size of the Best Buy leak (took it from this pic)
  • The bottom of the screenshot seems to cut into the render (bottom circle)
  • You can see some white from a bad cut out job (top circle). Someone with access to proper marketing materials would have a PNG to use.
  • And in general around that area it just looks like the hair is more faded out rather than neatly cut out (hence the bottom of the screenshot leaking in)
The bad cut out job and same size image is a good catch. Definitely leaning me towards fake.

Also the fact that the image composition just doesn't make much sense. And is blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.