• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, the decision to reveal Joker at The Game Awards was Nintendo's call. I remember Sakurai mentioning that he had to get the reveal ready on relatively short notice (I think he only had a month to get it ready).

It was a great reveal. One of the best trailers Smash has ever done.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Announcing a DLC character 5 months ahead of time was painful

Hopefully they never do this again
You're dead on. They announced Joker way way too early.

That game awards reveal was probably the first time I hyped over an announcement in years, but the incredibly long wait for a SINGLE DLC character and the total lack of information between announcement and release has deflated the entire thing.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, the Joker announcement was fine. It's not their fault this fanbase is seriously impatient.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It was obviously shocking to see Joker revealed for Smash, but the trailer itself was anticlimactic to me. I can't get excited over a cartoon and months of radio silence. Newcomers shouldn't be revealed until a gameplay trailer is ready.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It was obviously shocking to see Joker revealed for Smash, but the trailer itself was anticlimactic to me. I can't get excited over a cartoon and months of radio silence. Newcomers shouldn't be revealed until a gameplay trailer is ready.
I can't see anything like that happening again for the rest of the fighter pass.

Joker was a special case because they wanted people buying the pass right as the game came out.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
We're 10 months away until the last characters supposed released date. Unless they release more than 1 at the same time. The wait should only be 2-3 months per character.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
By 2020 huh? With the drip feed of information, they could have fooled me...

It's why most people think in the Smash direct that reveals Joker they will announce the next fighter (Edderick, Scorpion?). If we don't get a trailer for the 2nd fighter then that's when we should start worrying. E3 is almost here and I don't expect 3 fighters to be announced then.

Mar 9, 2018
Standard special: Girder - Lay down a girder. Temporarily adds to the stage. If laid down in the air the girder will fall to the ground and can be used for attacks.
Side Special: Hammer Mini Mario: a dual Hammer Mario is sent out. Charge it for more distance.
Up Special: Spring - launch up on a DK spring that falls below. Can be picked up by opponents
Down Special: Chorus - pushes players and items away with no damage, charge pushes them farther. Can be used to absorb or reflect projectiles, though the latter is difficult. No damage.
Final Smash: Jump Up Superstar - the band appears and sings a short chorus while players caught in the attack are shuffled around the busy streets and crowd of New Donk taking damage. Her last note can send them pushed hard off stage.
Standard moves are jabs, music notes, call backs to DK items.

This is how I see her. Medium speed, but light. She's a setup character who can use the mini Marios and girders to control space.
For me, the thing about that moveset and a lot of Pauline suggestions is that it feels tethered too much to DK Arcade. And although Pauline originated from that, I think her Odyssey portrayal is an important evolution of that very minor role, very stereotypical sexist role, and I'm not really sure it is a good thing to regress Pauline by tying her back to the original role from DK Arcade. I think being the original damsel in distress is a big part of her character, but only in the sense that she left that behind. She evolved. She's a mayor. She's a singer. She's a real character now.

In Mario Odyssey, they even give Pauline "emotional" (for a Mario game) dialogue about leaving that all behind.

Compared to DK Sr, I feel that her role in DK Arcade is too anemic, too "regressive" given where her character is now to make it any big part of her moveset. I think using the purse and stuff would be fine for normal attacks though. At least those are hers. But girders and springs aren't hers and crosses that threshold of "too much" in terms of being "too much" DK Arcade. I think DK Arcade should be a light touch on her moveset. Pauline has evolved and her moveset should anchor on that evolution. I do like the FS idea for that reason.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the thing about that moveset and a lot of Pauline suggestions is that it feels tethered too much to DK Arcade. And although Pauline originated from that, I think her Odyssey portrayal is an important evolution of that very minor role, very stereotypical sexist role, and I'm not really sure it is a good thing to regress Pauline by tying her back to the original role from DK Arcade. I think being the original damsel in distress is a big part of her character, but only in the sense that she left that behind. She evolved. She's a mayor. She's a singer. She's a real character now.

In Mario Odyssey, they even give Pauline "emotional" (for a Mario game) dialogue about leaving that all behind.

Compared to DK Sr, I feel that her role in DK Arcade is too anemic, too "regressive" given where her character is now to make it any big part of her moveset. I think using the purse and stuff would be fine for normal attacks though. At least those are hers. But girders and springs aren't hers and crosses that threshold of "too much" in terms of being "too much" DK Arcade. I think DK Arcade should be a light touch on her moveset. Pauline has evolved and her moveset should anchor on that evolution. I do like the FS idea for that reason.
What if all of her moves bring out a cappy possesed thing. Like her upspecial can be
1200px-SMO_Shot_-_Tropical_Jungle_Lizard.png

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
If they take 5 months to reveal each fighter like they did with Joker it will take another 20 months for the others to release. So sometime in 2021/2022 is when all the DLC would be released. Nintendo plans on releasing all fighters by February 2020.
We have no clue as to the status of the development of the different characters. For all we know Joker could be done or mostly done enough that they've already moved on to work on the next characters. There's no reason to think they'll overshoot February 2020 outside of general impatience for the next character.

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
"Mewtwo came out at the end of April too! What makes this any different?"

The core difference between the wait for Mewtwo VS the wait for Joker is just... it was Mewtwo, everyone knew what to expect from him. Joker is entirely new.

Right off the bat they were upfront in Mewtwo being super early in development. Joker's dev time has been largely a mystery so we had no idea how far in development he was at the time of his reveal. You'd think we'd have gotten maybe a bit more information by now but Atlus is seemingly forcing Nintendo to play it close to the vest so its frustrating.

Also keep in mind, we got Mewtwo's reveal trailer at the beginning of the month even though he came out at the end of it. We're now halfway through April and still no sign of Joker OR the 3.0 update.

Joker constantly feels just out of reach, that's why everyone is losing their mind over this

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think people are being impatience here if people are going to complains about that. At least the game is right in your hand and you could just play game and not think about Joker.

Edited: Also Joker trailer at VGA was meant to convince people to buy Fighter Pass and it kinda works for some fans. I don't need any character to convince me to buy Fighter Pass because I'm going to buy all of them regardless of choices.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

The core difference between the wait for Mewtwo VS the wait for Joker is just... it was Mewtwo, everyone knew what to expect from him. Joker is entirely new.

Right off the bat they were upfront in Mewtwo being super early in development. Joker's dev time has been largely a mystery so we had no idea how far in development he was at the time of his reveal. You'd think we'd have gotten maybe a bit more information by now but Atlus is seemingly forcing Nintendo to play it close to the vest so its frustrating.

Also keep in mind, we got Mewtwo's reveal trailer at the beginning of the month even though he came out at the end of it. We're now halfway through April and still no sign of Joker OR the 3.0 update.

Joker constantly feels just out of reach, that's why everyone is losing their mind over this
I mean we knew before the game awards that dlc just started recently before it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't their an interview where Sakurai straight up said they'd barley started working on Joker when the trailer hit?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It was a great reveal. One of the best trailers Smash has ever done.

It was great and I got hyped and I don't even play persona. People on ERA always have unrealistic expectations and blame Sakurai when it wasn't his decision. Also anyone that forgot about the wait for Mewtwo wasn't paying attention or didn't care about him coming as DLC. As a Mewtwo main I couldn't contain myself and the wait was agonizing. Relax y'all, joker is coming.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
given that Joker was announced right before the game launched, it should've been a given that we'd be waiting a while

I'd be pretty miffed if they'd been putting significant work into paid DLC before the game went gold

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I thought the reveal frame for Joker was fine. He was announced before the game was even released, it gives you something to look forward to. It's obvious that the first DLC fighter (and this isn't even considering that Piranha Plant also came in between...) was going to take longer. From here on out they'll be 2-3 months apart.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Piranha Plant was obviously released to make the wait for Joker more bearable, but it seems everyone has already forgot about it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Revealing Joker early was a smart move. They needed to set up expectations about what kind of characters to expect in the pass, because buying something and not knowing what you're getting is not good business. Yeah, the wait is a bit excruciating, but you're not going to get people to set their expectations if the only DLC you know is "Piranha Plant". Now that Joker is on his way, and presumably Erdrick, we know they're not just going for any random shmucks in the gutter. Characters are most likely going to be heavy hitters, or characters that are emblematic of Nintendo's partnerships.

It was an unfortunate compromise, but a necessary one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
By 2020 huh? With the drip feed of information, they could have fooled me...
Going by the datamining, they started work on "Brave" alongside Joker not long after the game came out. I'd imagine that they're working on other characters concurrently with Joker & "Brave" to get them all out before the end of February 2020.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
How would you guys feel if we didn't get a mini Smash Direct or anything, Joker and 3.0 are announced for a date and dropped, then it's radio silence until E3 where they do a double reveal of characters 2 and 3, with 2 shadow dropping and 3 dated for September?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
How would you guys feel if we didn't get a mini Smash Direct or anything, Joker and 3.0 are announced for a date and dropped, then it's radio silence until E3 where they do a double reveal of characters 2 and 3, with 2 shadow dropping and 3 dated for September?
i don't think radio silence would matter that much when there's only a month and change between when Joker will probably release and e3

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How far along do we think the characters are at this point?

Joker has to be done. They're just waiting for the inevitable release.

"Brave" has to be far along at this point. Maybe not "ready" for release just yet, but pretty far along.

They've probably already done some work on Character 3.

They've probably just begun work on Character 4.

Character 5 is probably just "this is who the character is" at this point. Maybe Sakurai already has their moveset in mind.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Revealing Joker early was a smart move. They needed to set up expectations about what kind of characters to expect in the pass, because buying something and not knowing what you're getting is not good business. Yeah, the wait is a bit excruciating, but you're not going to get people to set their expectations if the only DLC you know is "Piranha Plant". Now that Joker is on his way, and presumably Erdrick, we know they're not just going for any random shmucks in the gutter. Characters are most likely going to be heavy hitters, or characters that are emblematic of Nintendo's partnerships.

It was an unfortunate compromise, but a necessary one.
Erdrick is a heavy hitter? No one even knows who that is...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see that, with how nintendo likes to market stuff one thing at a time.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
How far along do we think the characters are at this point?

Joker has to be done. They're just waiting for the inevitable release.

"Brave" has to be far along at this point. Maybe not "ready" for release just yet, but pretty far along.

They've probably already done some work on Character 3.

They've probably just begun work on Character 4.

Character 5 is probably just "this is who the character is" at this point. Maybe Sakurai already has their moveset in mind.
That seems about right. Maybe Character 3 is a little further along, but not quiiiite as far as Brave. I think Character 5 probably has model work in progress if nothing else.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop acting like Dragon Quest is some obscure property?

Yes it's no where near as popular in the west but chances are if you have any sort of familiarity with JRPG's you've probably at least heard of it.

Some people probably won't recognize the name but I imagine the art and series name will ring some bells.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Erdrick (if he really is who "Brave" is referring to) is a heavy hitter in Japan & would raise awareness for Dragon Quest in the West (just in time for DQ11S's launch). Dragon Quest is a major franchise when it comes to RPGs & is basically the grandfather for the entire genre.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yes it's no where near as popular in the west but chances are if you have any sort of familiarity with JRPG's you've probably at least heard of it.

Some people probably won't recognize the name but I imagine the art and series name will ring some bells.

I can't believe they put Goku in Smash and gave him a sword, lol.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

I'm talking about the character, not the property. I mean, hell, my most wanted character at this point is Alena, who I'd guess is more popular than Erdrick since she's consistently represented in DQ games.

You can throw in some obscure FF character like Cecil and it wouldn't have been the same as adding Cloud. Not even close.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the character, not the property. I mean, hell, my most wanted character at this point is Alena, who I'd guess is more popular than Erdrick since she's consistently represented in DQ games.

You can throw in some obscure FF character like Cecil and it wouldn't have been the same as adding Cloud. Not even close.
Pretty sure erdrick isn't comparable to cecil.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Cecil isn't obscure, though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I get why they revealed Joker so early but it's still been an excruciating wait. I wish they at least showed us gameplay in February or something.

Erdrick is the most popular Dragon Quest protagonist, though.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I get why they revealed Joker so early but it's still been an excruciating wait. I wish they at least showed us gameplay in February or something.

Erdrick is the most popular Dragon Quest protagonist, though.
Is he really more popular than Alena or Terry? I was under the impression that these two were easily the most popular characters in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.