• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
So are we not going to get a music track this morning then? I take it back, Simon was a mistake. What is the point of this Smash hype cycle if I don't get my scheduled dose of Wednesday morning musical Ecstasy?

Wonder if they'll be another newcomer other then simon

An Echo character seems like a surefire bet. Shadow hype!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know who else had their own game

Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland_Coverart.png

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Isn't Alucard the most popular Castlevania character? I guess that with Simon Belmont being playable it's a matter of legacy and being the original protagonist unlike Cloud who is the most popular FF character.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Alucard the most popular Castlevania character? I guess that with Simon Belmont being playable it's a matter of legacy and being the original protagonist unlike Cloud who is the most popular FF character.
Symphony of the Night is the most popular Castlevania, but the Nintendo fans that tend to comprise Smash's audience are more familia with Simon.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Somehow have never seen this quote from Sakurai:
If you pull up a list of game designers born in 1970, there's quite a few big names: Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta),Fumito Ueda (ICO), Yoko Taro (NieR series), Jin Fujisawa and Yosuke Saito (Dragon Quest X), Chiyomaru Shikura (Steins;Gate), and the late Kenji Eno (D and others). Internationally, you have John Carmack, the father of FPS's, as well. As a generation, a lot of us were directly impacted by the dawn of the PC and the home gaming console. For me personally, it was the year 1986, when games like The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania were released, and I experienced physically interactive games. They had a big impact on me.

Never knew Sakurai specifically mentioned he loved Castlevania. Makes me more excited to see what he does with Simon!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldnt be mad at Joker because he has really cool music and could have a fantastic stage.

Also I like persona.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
With Ryu having true versions of every move, Cloud having limit, and Bayonetta being... Bayonetta, I kinda feel weird for not being able to come up with a gimmick that makes Simon overpowered. He's gonna be as honest a character as we haven't had in a while.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow have never seen this quote from Sakurai:

Never knew Sakurai specifically mentioned he loved Castlevania. Makes me more excited to see what he does with Simon!
He always talks about his third party picks being related to the japanese game classics and developers that he wants to represent because of their japanese gaming history, basically all of them are from the classic big devs there (NIntendo, Sega, SE, Bamco, Konami, Capcom). He seems to care a lot about it.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 2 had a couple of comic relief NPCs in the same vein. Please try not to campaign based on 'purity'.

Can't say I recall anything on the level of Persona 3, 4, or 5. Though even so, that's at the very least counterbalanced in 2 by not only having a positive portrayal of a queer character in Jun, but even allowing Tatsuya to confess his love for him! As small as it seems, that's a HELL of a lot better treatment for its queer characters than any modern Persona game has had.

So, uh, I'm just going to keep supporting characters who don't come from games where the queer character NPCs sexually harass minors, and where you only have het romance options available to you. Bye!

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I recall anything on the level of Persona 3, 4, or 5. Though even so, that's at the very least counterbalanced in 2 by not only having a positive portrayal of a queer character in Jun, but even allowing Tatsuya to confess his love for him! As small as it seems, that's a HELL of a lot better treatment for its queer characters than any modern Persona game has had.

So, uh, I'm just going to keep supporting characters who don't come from games where the queer character NPCs sexually harass minors, and where you only have het romance options available to you. Bye!
Can I add that the same producer behind these games is literally making that awful new Catherine

It's not even comparable to what other Atlus directors did previously.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem like this big leak is breaking out as much as I would have thought. The hardcore are all over it, of course, but a lot of people still seem in the dark.

So Sakurai should hopefully get some good reactions.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I cant recall anything as bad as P5/P4 on P3. Was there something as egregious? Or is it just the lack of representation?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like this big leak is breaking out as much as I would have thought. The hardcore are all over it, of course, but a lot of people still seem in the dark.

So Sakurai should hopefully get some good reactions.
I mean, it broke out nearly at midnight in the East Coast. I'd look at what the Japanese internet is doing.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Symphony of the Night is the most popular Castlevania, but the Nintendo fans that tend to comprise Smash's audience are more familia with Simon.

It's also why Megaman is playable and not Zero.

Which is why to this day Cloud remains as the odd exception.

It's also why in the hypothetical case there of a Tales of rep it would be Lloyd Irving instead of Yuri Lowell and the Atlus rep wouldn't necessarily be Joker.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why to this day Cloud remains as the odd exception.
Cloud's popularity is big enough over other FF characters to be more popular even with Nintendo fans (which is not the case of MM/Zero or Simon/Alucard)

or

SE is just lame and didn't want him using an old character (apparently Nomura wanted him to use a new character, so probably Noctis or Lightning... maybe Cloud was the oldest they could get)

Come on Toon Linkle and Young Linkle
Damn, you can't even make jokes hinting at the character before the direct this time!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There's a pretty transphobic scene on the beach involving Junpei.
I honestly didnt even notice it when I played it, but jeez... that is pretty terrible.
Persona handling LGBT issues so terribly will always be one of my biggest dissapointments with the series. Maybe now that the main team is going away to work on studio zero things will change.

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
People comparing Joker to Cloud are off-base. Joker is a Noctis or a Lightning - the hyper-marketed new darling that we can't tell if they will have a legacy as a gaming icon.

Jack Frost has a cult following that is way more organic than the astroturfing Joker gets.

Message me in 10 years and see if you still give a fuck about Joker.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didnt even notice it when I played it, but jeez... that is pretty terrible.
Persona handling LGBT issues so terribly will always be one of my biggest dissapointments with the series. Maybe now that the main team is going away to work on studio zero things will change.

I can only hope that they make a legitimate effort to improve in that area, too. It's pretty damn awful.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People comparing Joker to Cloud are off-base. Joker is a Noctis or a Lightning - the hyper-marketed new darling that we can't tell if they will have a legacy as a gaming icon.

Jack Frost has a cult following that is way more organic than the astroturfing Joker gets.

Message me in 10 years and see if you still give a fuck about Joker.

People still give a fuck about Yu Narukami. And P4 came out 10 years ago.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
He never had a chance and I'm not sure why people convinced themselves he ever did. Though I'm fully expecting to people to start up the K Rool craziness again next time there's a direct.
I just made the post cause the pic itself is funny as fuck lol. I don't even remember where I got it from. I have no care if Rool gets in or not

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
there is a guy in sourfegaming that said he would make two-three more leaks with Lloyd so I figure that its' probably him with those fake email leak.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've said for months that I thought of five characters we would see in this game.

A new DK character.
A new Xeno character.
A new Pokémon.
A new Third Party.
A new WTF character.

This leaked character fills out one of those slots. I don't doubt we will see a new DK character.

(I am only doubting a Xeno character. Maybe I should say Xeno or Warioware character to give Ashley her possible due.)

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, can someone who's read the leak thread do me a favor and reply to this post, and tell me if the leaked new character is a cool, exciting pick (like Mega Man), or a WTF, this is stupid pick (like the Wii Fit Trainer). Because if it's the former, I want to wait until the Direct and be surprised. But if it's the latter, I want to spoil myself so I can spend the next 8 hours coping with it.

This is, of course, a 100% objective determination. Lol.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
So, can someone who's read the leak thread do me a favor and reply to this post, and tell me if the leaked new character is a cool, exciting pick (like Mega Man), or a WTF, this is stupid pick (like the Wii Fit Trainer). Because if it's the former, I want to wait until the Direct and be surprised. But if it's the latter, I want to spoil myself so I can spend the next 8 hours coping with it.

This is, of course, a 100% objective determination. Lol.
I don't understand. Both Mega Man and WFT are exciting picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.