• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would Dixie Kong make in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Yes, as Unique Newcomer

Votes: 145 18.3%
  • Yes, as Echo Fighter

Votes: 457 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Are Etika's Reactions genuine?
I've see just a few that were posted on Gaf before and all looked fake.

Honest question. I know there are you tubers that legit fake this stuff for views, but maybe some of you guys know more about him since he seems to be a part of the Smash Competitive scene.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
2Yni481.jpg
I think character unique moveset interactions would actually be really cool though. They explored it a bit in Brawl with icysaur taking more damage from fire moves for instance.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we're getting another Square character there's a lot of viable options.

I mean, any other FF character -- popular choices would be any of the big main characters like Terra or Lightning or maybe a popular supporting character like Kain from FFIV (which was both on SNES and also gave us they very iconic "Dragoon" design).

You also have Crono of course. And potentially Erdrick from Dragon Quest. Both are Toriyama designs, getting dangerously close to actually giving people Goku, which could lead to some fun on that merit alone. But both characters absolutely would belong in Smash.

You also have Sora who is mega-popular and from one of Square's biggest modern franchises. Of course we have no idea what the deal would have to be with Disney, which could be a barrier.

We also have to consider Lara Croft, who is maybe the absolute most iconic video game character left that is not in the game. That said, she is from a western developer so maybe that would turn Sakurai off.

And finally, of course, there's Geno, who would basically only get in due to the group in the smash community that has long since wanted him. But it's possible.

All things considered, those are probably the most likely Square choices... of course, that's quite a bit. They all could/arguably should be in Smash. But to pick one is going to be interesting, and tough.

I bet it happens as DLC.
Well about Sora and the rights from Disney

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honest question. I know there are you tubers that legit fake this stuff for views, but maybe some of you guys know more about him since he seems to be a part of the Smash Competitive scene.

If that guy is legit he needs to seek professional help before his heart actually explodes.

Also stop breaking things.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People always say "it's not popular outside Japan". Yet DQIX sold 1M outside Japan and... all franchises with playable characters in Smash are japanese and the devs are japanese.

Anyway, you say stuff like this to almost every japanese character.
No I haven't, I was just playing around with the master chief stuff. I haven't ever played dq, but even I know the toriyama look and slime.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

This post shocked me so much that I broke my coffee table.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Considering some people here try to bury any discussion about more "niche" picks from Nintendo or Namco/SE (niche like Dragon Quest, lol) with "literally who?" comments, but then suggest stuff that is barely known in Japan, I think my post is fine.
Counterpoint. DQ is niche everywhere other then America.

Halo and Master Chief win this battle. Take that!

I'm just messing with you.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I would love Sora in Smash but I feel like his character won't be complete if Sakurai couldn't get Donald and Goofy to come in with Sora's final smash.

DessieDoo

Jan 17, 2018
What ever happened to Rabbid anyway? Used to be a popular pick for likely.

But as far as fun, dream picks go: Jade from Beyond Good and Evil? Would love that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love Sora in Smash but I feel like his character won't be complete if Sakurai couldn't get Donald and Goofy to come in with Sora's final smash.

Same. Sora is a Disney character to me more than a Square character, but maybe that's because I only like the first game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately believe Sakurai wants Smash to be a celebration of Japanese gaming. He wants to help Japan I think he said. Sora is a celebration of Japan, but then there's Geno he likes from Square.

The only western character I truly believe he would try to get is Banjo and Kazooie due to the huge outpour for them and he's known this for over a decade.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately believe Sakurai wants Smash to be a celebration of Japanese gaming. He wants to help Japan I think he said. Sora is a celebration of Japan, but then there's Geno he likes from Square.

The only western character I truly believe he would try to get is Banjo and Kazooie due to the huge outpour for them and he's known this for over a decade.

I dunno. Even with Little Mac being created in Japan, it's not really a big deal over there. Little Mac was put into the game to appeal to Western Audiences. Just like Ridley. I think Sakurai is trying to be fair to worldwide audiences in Smash.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it occurred to me the other day nobody has ever mentioned codename steam ever again lmao

anyway, advance wars representation plz

I have =[

Codename STEAM would be amazing for Smash. There's a lot of unique stuff in the games and it didn't deserve to bomb since it was actually pretty good. Anyone who doesn't at least try it for the like, $2 you can find it at now is doing themselves a disservice.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Even with Little Mac being created in Japan, it's not really a big deal over there. Little Mac was put into the game to appeal to Western Audiences. Just like Ridley. I think Sakurai is trying to be fair to worldwide audiences in Smash.
I mean like overall these are characters made in Japan. I know some Nintendo characters have a bigger appeal to the western audience, but in terms of Japanese made characters it's like 95%? Japanese

And Sakurai has shown this Smash is getting the fan favorites so far including western demanded characters like Ridley, as you've said. But Banjo and Kazooie is pure western and not made by Nintendo.

DessieDoo

Jan 17, 2018
I hated Witcher 3. Bad controlls killed my interest early. Also being given way too much freedom way too soon. Always paralyzes me

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He said he wants to help japanese gaming, Punch Out is still japanese gaming. It literally was created by Genyo Takeda, one of the most respected Nintendo devs. I don't think it's comparable to "being fair". Sure, he goes for more worldwide known characters, but it's still a fact that all characters are from jp franchises/publishers.

Dragon Quest is to western games as One Piece is to western manga/anime.

And both are a crime.
Modern FF and Naruto being more popular than these is kind of a disgrace lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question. Has Sakurai ever stated that he chose not to include a character because they aren't popular or well-known in Japan? I believe he's said that in the other direction.

Obviously when 99% of the cast are Japanese designs and the remainder are still from franchises that have their origins in Japan then the focus on Japanese gaming doesn't really need to be stated, but I'm just wondering if he's ever explicitly stated that.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

Uh, K.Rool is not a Japanese character. And we got Shovel Knight.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix Wright should be in Smash Bros as an assist trophy where he would do his classic Objection

On another subject:

Dragon Quest; what if we didn't get DQ1 or 3 protagonist. Instead of that we could got one of most popular Dragon Quest Protagonist, like DQ8?

Status
Not open for further replies.