• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would Dixie Kong make in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Yes, as Unique Newcomer

Votes: 145 18.3%
  • Yes, as Echo Fighter

Votes: 457 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
dqtcg_slime_groupg1fuh.png

slimesemyi75.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you could do Slime with transformations maybe with the other Slime members. It's kind of tricky for sure.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So going over what Imran (who is apparently credible?) and Vergeben have said we can expect:

- Incineroar
- Isabelle
- Ken

All of these are from Vergeben

While Imran implied that we'll see more Namco and Square characters,

- Heihachi with Jin/Kazuya Echo
- Square character, maybe Zack Fair as an Echo of Cloud?

And then there's the possibility of Skull Kid, as well as characters like Elma, Dixie, and Bandanna Dee.
So maybe

Incineroar
Skullkid
Elma
Heihachi

Isabelle
Shadow
Zack
Ken

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question. Has Sakurai ever stated that he chose not to include a character because they aren't popular or well-known in Japan? I believe he's said that in the other direction.

Obviously when 99% of the cast are Japanese designs and the remainder are still from franchises that have their origins in Japan then the focus on Japanese gaming doesn't really need to be stated, but I'm just wondering if he's ever explicitly stated that.

Whenever he says something like this he's talking about some Japanese character which never came overseas, so naturally he wouldn't have any chance to talk about the reverse cause examples of the reverse barely exist. How many Nintendo games never released in Japan but did in other territories, if any?

Phizax

Jul 11, 2018
United States
So going over what Imran (who is apparently credible?) and Vergeben have said we can expect:

- Incineroar
- Isabelle
- Ken

And then there's the possibility of Skull Kid, as well as characters like Elma, Dixie, and Bandanna Dee.
There are a number of FF characters that could be a Cloud echo, I suppose. Zack could work.
Can you imagine a universe where Sephiroth and Shadow are both in Smash as Echo Fighters?
I think the world might implode from all of that edge.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever he says something like this he's talking about some Japanese character which never came overseas, so naturally he wouldn't have any chance to talk about the reverse cause examples of the reverse barely exist. How many Nintendo games never released in Japan but did in other territories, if any?
Startropics!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Star Tropics.

Mike Jones for Smash!

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

*Sakurai voice* "For those that have played Final Fantasy VII, you'll know that perhaps Cloud himself is the real Echo Fighter here..."

oh no i can see it happening

(It'll be Geno or DQ.)

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a number of FF characters that could be a Cloud echo, I suppose. Zack could work.
Can you imagine a universe where Sephiroth and Shadow are both in Smash as Echo Fighters?
I think the world might implode from all of that edge.
I keep seeing people suggest Sephiroth as an echo, but I don't think that would work well at all. Just the difference in the types of swords they use would immediately make it weird. But also Sephiroth has different moves.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Combat!
Kid Icarus: Of Myth and Monsters!
Tinstar, I think!

Probably other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head!

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Incineroar
- Isabelle
- Ken

Zack wouldn't count, if he was counting echoes in his count it would have been 3,2,1,1 not 2,2,1,1

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Sakurai voice* "For those that have played Final Fantasy VII, you'll know that perhaps Cloud himself is the real Echo Fighter here..."

(It'll be Geno or DQ.)

Zack does all of Cloud's moves in Crisis Core doesn't he?

Zack wouldn't count, if he was counting echoes in his count it would have been 3,2,1,1 not 2,2,1,1

Oh yeah that's a good point. Maybe Heihachi will still get an Echo, but not Square?

In that case I'll revise my list to:

- Incineroar
- Heihachi
- Geno/Erdrick/Sora
- Elma/Skull Kid/Bandanna Dee/Isaac/
- Isabelle (E)
- Ken (E)
- Shadow (E)
- Jin (E)

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people talking Echoes when Imran made it clear that he doesn't consider them new characters by saying there are only 2 Konami reps?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Even if we dont get master chief for some silly reason, we could get Doom Guy as DLC.

Highly influential, classic character, worldwide icon (not that sure about japan though) and as of now he finally has history with Nintendo.
I feel like he is the only character from a western fps that has a chance higher than 1%.
Doom Guy/Slayer is 100% worthy of being in Smash.
He's become a big request recently, so hopefully he gets in as DLC.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

(It'll be Geno or DQ.)
If Square wasn't so weird I'd say we could get both Zack and Geno... but with them being who they are I'd say we'd be lucky to get one, and if Sakurai is going to go through the trouble he might as well go for Geno.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying he isn't making his game to appeal only to Japanese audiences, even if he is using Japanese created IP (and Western created characters for Japanese created IP like Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, and Dark Samus).

Although the inclusion of the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy does make me think we will see a Western Created IP playable in Smash one day.

There's plenty of options. GTA, Minecraft, COD, The Sims, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Crash, Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Mortal Kombat, Rayman, Spyro, Doom.

Maybe not that many options after all when you start looking at characters.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Guy/Slayer is 100% worthy of being in Smash.
He's become a big request recently, so hopefully he gets in as DLC.

Doomguy would have no problem fighting characters like Bowser and Bayonetta, but the guys a big softie when it comes to bunnys and cute things (like the collectible dolls in doom2016)
His role in the story (if there is one) could be pretty funny

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Imran could come here. Quote someone who is talking about Master Chief with a "Hmmm"

And we'll spend multiple pages talking about it and some of use even taking it as Comfirmation that he's in.

And would've probably done it on purpose because he knows how crazy the Smash fanbase is lol

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it took ten years for Balloon Kid to come out in Japan and when it finally did it was only released through the Nintendo Power service

that's enough to classify it as a western exclusive in my eyes

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
it took ten years for Balloon Kid to come out in Japan and when it finally did it was only released through the Nintendo Power service

But they did reskin it as Hello Kitty Balloon World for Famicom, didn't they?

Hello Kitty for Smash!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks so much that Sakurai likes Geno and Geno has a big push for him. I'd rather have so many other Square characters over Geno, but I know in my heart if Sakurai can only get one more Square rep, then he's going for Geno.

Sora has the second biggest push, but I still see Sakurai picking Geno over Sora.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy would have no problem fighting characters like Bowser and Bayonetta, but the guys a big softie when it comes to bunnys and cute things (like the collectible dolls in doom2016)
His role in the story (if there is one) could be pretty funny
Let's not forget that one of his big motivators was the death of his pet rabbit.
Imagine a victory screen with him just sitting down and petting rabbits, or a CG trailer/cutscene of him trying to pet Pikachu because he thinks he's a rabbit.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

At least Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters was eventually released on the 3DS VC in Japan. (It just took about 20 years, lol.)

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't say he was doing that. I'm saying that the idea of a third party character completely alienating to Japan seems unlikely. He detailed before how third party picks for him are pretty strict, need to have history (and a Nintendo appearance) and he won't add anyone -- this + the current roster I think it's kinda telling about how bigger the chances always are for the big 6 japanese console companies.

No, that's not quite what he said. Let's actually get a direct quote here. Source, translation.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
While it's true that we've added characters from other companies, it's not going to be anyone and everyone. Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously).

Smash is a game that's made from everyone's effort. Both companies have to want the character to join the battle. I need them to let me take charge of the character. In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.

The character must carry game history with them. Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

It's pretty flexible, really. Except for anyone who expects Goku. That's not happening.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, since Doomguy is descended from Commander Keen and Commander Keen is the grandson of B.J. Blazcowitz (Keen's actually named after him), would that make Doomguy the first Jewish Smash Bros character if he happened?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks so much that Sakurai likes Geno and Geno has a big push for him. I'd rather have so many other Square characters over Geno, but I know in my heart if Sakurai can only get one more Square rep, then he's going for Geno.

Sora has the second biggest push, but I still see Sakurai picking Geno over Sora.

Now I see why you were so negative with Super Mario RPG and Geno because you really want Sora getting in. I honestly think Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts have better shot at getting in Smash Bros before Geno tho.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Sora actually has a legit change and wasn't immediately snubbed then there's no way Sakurai would go for Geno over Sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.