• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would Dixie Kong make in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Yes, as Unique Newcomer

Votes: 145 18.3%
  • Yes, as Echo Fighter

Votes: 457 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue with a Medusa Echo is that she'd arguably have to be balanced against the rest of the roster instead of just Palutena like the other Echoes.

That's why I said "half" clone. Ideally, she'd be like Dr. Mario, Falco or Wolf in that she would share some traits with Palutena, but would be mostly a new character.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Jigglypuff referred to as female in Smash?

Or was that just the anime? It's been a while since I've see the show to be honest.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Rosalina
  • Jigglypuff
  • Lucina
  • Palutena
  • Samus and Zero Suit Samus
  • Zelda and Sheik
Other female fighters
  • Pichu
  • Pikachu/Pikachu Libre
  • Wendy
  • Pokemon Trainer (Leaf and Ivysaur)
  • Inkling
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Miis
  • Ice Climber Nana
That's not even counting the fact that many fighters do not have a gender.
Thanks for saving me the time. Plus well probably have Isabel as well. It's really sad to see when someone is misrepresenting an issue just to push their agenda.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be more than just literally diddy with a ponytail.

This is what people (such as yours truly) took umbrage with.

Dixie is literally just Diddy in drag. Give her a new Up-B and some visual flair and you're golden.

People act as if she's some completely unique character from Diddy. I've played the DKC games. She's Diddy but hovers. She effectively replaced his role in DKC 3. Their moveset is otherwise identical.

Give her a new Up-B, change the peanuts to gum, different taunts, maybe make her grab with her hair, change her victory animations to feature her guitar. Perfectly represented.

I'm not saying Sakurai can't make Dixie as echo fighter work. I am saying "do we really want to agree with a poster who said she is Diddy in drag with a new Up-B"?

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Representation in games is important and deserves to be talked about. Siete isn't derailing the thread by bringing up these complaints.

I'm happy with the roster. I'll be happier if Geno's in, but I'm happy now. Meanwhile they aren't okay with it and want to express the problem of characters like Dixie, Isabelle and Elma getting snubbed for nostalgia picks like K.Rool (who for the record was my other most wanted character).

Nothing's stopping anybody from discussing Geno/Skull Kid/Isaac, it's just that some folks here are tired of that being the only discussion and dominating the thread.
There's a difference between discussing female representation (which is perfectly okay) and attacking other users that want Isaac/Geno/etc. in.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think so. In terms of making a good game, every single character can be made interesting as a fighter so having one female unique newcomer wouldn't be a mechanic thing that will make the gameplay better.

I think it's fair to want either, especially since the situation is too nuanced to make the unique female newcomer a 100%, no brainer option. Not that I wouldn't want the latter to happen at all, considering I want Dixie, Mythra and Elma (not some of the others you mentioned though, like Primarina. Hard pass.)

Skull Kid in exchange for only one female newcomer is absolutely in no way a fair exchange.

It's not an exchange, this isn't a hostage situation and it's not straightforward. Arguments can be made for both sides.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Or was that just the anime? It's been a while since I've see the show to be honest.

I dunno if Jigglypuff has been specifically gendered in Smash but they've always been female coded.

That's why I said "half" clone. Ideally, she'd be like Dr. Mario, Falco or Wolf in that she would share some traits with Palutena, but would be mostly a new character.

I dunno if Sakurai's doing semi-clones like Wolf and Lucas for this game, which is a shame.

Thanks for saving me the time. Plus well probably have Isabel as well. It's really sad to see when someone is misrepresenting an issue just to push their agenda.

A lot of those characters are either gender picks or avatars, though.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Let's just cancel Skull Kid and replace with Urbosa.
latest

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

The only pokemon in smash with a confirmed gender is Pikachu, who was male in Brawl/4 and now has a gender option in Ultimate.

People just refer to puff as she because it's a feminine looking pokemon and it wears hats associated with girls in pokemon.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say they're doing that at all. There's still far more characters that are exclusively male. Nintendo has plenty of great female characters (or characters whose gender is selectable) that can still be included, so they should add more to help even things out. I don't think that's wrong or "pushing an agenda". Like, what agenda? The agenda to play as characters that match your own gender, or characters that you're attached to? Wow.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say they're doing that at all. There's still far more characters that are exclusively male. Nintendo has plenty of great female characters (or characters whose gender is selectable) that can still be included, so they should add more to help even things out. I don't think that's wrong or "pushing an agenda". Like, what agenda? The agenda to play as characters that match your own gender, or characters that you're attached to? Wow.
It's more an issue of there not being a ton of main female characters left, which goes on the industry more than sakurai.

DessieDoo

Jan 17, 2018
Me: "Birdo would make a great echo!"

Y'all: "Outrageous! Her mouth is too weird and she'd have a different up B! Too much work."

Also Y'all: "Dixie would be a perfect echo. Sure, she has no tail and uses her hair and has a different up-B, but that's no biggie."

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This discussions that has been going on all day is a little ridiculous.

Every single character can have a unique moveset, and in a perfect world they would. But we all know echo fighters are a compromise that allows us to get a character playable at the cost of their own unique moves. And that's still pretty cool.

While every character CAN be unique, not every character can be an echo. Only specific characters can line up move-wise to the original character. Dixie is one of those that would pretty much work. Yeah she could be unique, but she can also very easily be a slightly modified Diddy echo, just like Chrom is a slightly modified Roy echo. This makes it incredibly likely for her to get in the game versus incredibly unlikely. Characters like Isaac and Geno and Skull Kid would never be able to work as echo fighters of any playable character currently in the game. Therefore if any of them would get in they absolutely would need to be unique. Dixie isn't "competing" against those kinds of picks. She's competing against picks like Impa and Medusa who could also work as echoes.

And regarding the whole female fighter debate, that is also ridiculous to continue to bring up. Most fighting games, and video games in general, have a female character problem. We all know why. And as a massive crossover of various video game franchises, obviously Smash is going to by nature have that same issue. But despite that, there are actually quite a lot of female characters on the roster (both wholly female and characters that offer both male and female versions). Sakurai has done a pretty good job about inclusion in this regard.

I don't think a character being female alone should be what increases their chances to get into the game or not. Dixie should get a spot, but that doesn't mean characters like Isaac shouldn't. Etc.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Isn't Zelda literally the only one preventing Ganon from taking over Hyrule again in BotW by keeping him at bay for 100 years. She's not really a damsel in distress, more someone waiting for back up to hurry up.

She's literally a woman awaiting for a man to save her. The fact that she's also holding back Ganon doesn't change that fact; you can be a damsel in distress while not being completely useless. And that's from an in-game point of view; mechanically she's even more of a straightforward damsel.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The only pokemon in smash with a confirmed gender is Pikachu, who was male in Brawl/4 and now has a gender option in Ultimate.

People just refer to puff as she because it's a feminine looking pokemon and it wears hats associated with girls in pokemon.
I thought I had read it off in trophy description regarding Jigglypuff as "She".

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
From Monday for one week this thread will be a Style Boutique/Savvy rep discussion only zone

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
sure but you said it has less female fighters than every other major fighting game and that's just not true

it's looking good for isabelle and dixie. chun li deserves to be in there. hopefully toon zelda/toon sheik happens one day.

and twintelle is totally gonna be dlc!!!

It's gonna be Spring Man or nothing and you know it lol

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
sure but you said it has less female fighters than every other major fighting game and that's just not true

it's looking good for isabelle and dixie. chun li deserves to be in there. hopefully toon zelda/toon sheik happens one day.

and twintelle is totally gonna be dlc!!!
I think Springman will be DLC with a Ribbon Girl Echo/Skin

I'd prefer Helix to any ARMS character though.

Status
Not open for further replies.