• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People thought the character makeup of Melee was going to be a lot different than it turned out to be. Lists were a lot more "A bunch of characters from games that are already in Super Smash Bros" than "A bunch of series that haven't been in yet" and they basically all included everyone's villains. It was just taken for granted that Ganondorf, Ridley , K. Rool, and Dedede would be in. That's the entire reason Ridley and K. Rool have both been so deeply ingrained in every single Smash roster conversation since then.
I mean ridley especially who was fighting samus in the e3 intro, and he was even a cameo in 64. It seemed like a given.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
People thought the character makeup of Melee was going to be a lot different than it turned out to be. Lists were a lot more "A bunch of characters from games that are already in Super Smash Bros" than "A bunch of series that haven't been in yet" and they basically all included everyone's villains. It was just taken for granted that Ganondorf, Ridley , K. Rool, and Dedede would be in. That's the entire reason Ridley and K. Rool have both been so deeply ingrained in every single Smash roster conversation since then.

Interesting, because I do remember some people are expecting Ganondorf, Samurai Goroh Ridley, Wolf and Mewtwo as the secret characters because they were shown in the trailer. So I can see the connection with King K Rool and Dedede.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So anyone know why cloud's sword has that weird dark geen smear effect? Is that from ff7? They tend to match the colour of the blade or at least the character using them a lot better (i.e. white/blue or gold) but cloud's stands out to me.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Ridley, much of the characters we talk about are more Brawl-era requests rather than Melee-era requests. I'm mostly basing this on that "if there were a Smash 2" poll, but like the biggest missing pieces from it are popular 3rd party characters from the 90s like Geno, Banjo, and Crash.

For instance, I don't think the hype trains for K. Rool and Dixie really started until Diddy got in Brawl.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
So, how about the Canada thing?

I'm not even sure if it was discussed in this thread but it's plausible that it could be for the viewing party for certain event or something else but no one really knows. They said that they can't say anything until tomorrow, I think.

Some fans believe that it's a viewing party for some kind of announcements that could happens on Thursday so people are eager to see if it's Smash-related or not.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, because I do remember some people are expecting Ganondorf, Samurai Goroh Ridley, Wolf and Mewtwo were secret characters because they were shown in the trailer. So I can see the connection with King K Rool and Dedede.
The only new series character I really remember people talking about getting into Melee was Pit, strangely enough.

Mind, I was 12 at the time. I won't claim my memory is perfect. But I had just gotten the internet at the end of 2000 and I was devouring it at the time. Especially Melee boards.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
The only new series character I really remember people talking about getting into Melee was Pit, strangely enough.

Haha! Kid Icarus always have been popular in certain Nintendo fanbase and they kept asking for new game for long time so I'm glad they finally added Pit to Smash Bros and eventually lead us to a brand new game.

I think Sakurai added Pit to Brawl because he was popular requests in the West, right?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Haha! Kid Icarus always have been popular in certain Nintendo fanbase and they kept asking for new game for long time so I'm glad they finally added Pit to Smash Bros and eventually lead us to a brand new game.

I think Sakurai added Pit to Brawl because he was popular requests in the West, right?

Yes he did

I was well aware that Pit was a popular character in both America and Japan. I tried as best I could to design this version of him in a way that reflected current tastes, so I'm happy to see him so well received.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So 5 melee clones equals a new comers

Wolf was 75 percent a newcomer

Echoes are half the work of a melee clones

So we have 4.7 new comers adding in echoes we have

5.1 newcomers I what we actually have

Mathmatically

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would you feel if they brought back the exact ways you unlocked characters in the past games into this game? This would be an option. For example in Brawl one of the ways to unlock Sonic was playing 300 matches I believe. Just kind of a cool touch I would think if they did that for most of the characters.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to hear more of that Mega Man X track they teased. And I want to know if we have more music from the MM spin-off games.

(It just sucks that all MM music is attached to just that Wily Castle stage, lol.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I just looked into the Canada thing (didn't really pay attention to it when it got brought up yesterday) so that's interesting. At least we'll know pretty soon if it actually turns out to be anything.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Anti-Rool sentiment was prevalent for three smash hype cycles, you don't see it now because actually seeing him in action has enlightened the non believers.
He's pretty lame even now imo, but that's fine. I don't hate him and it's certainly good for his fans that he's now in. But it ain't even just a Rool thing, a LOT of Smash characters I have little care for (neutral or apathetic towards). Sometimes it remains like that (like I'm probably never going to care much about Daisy or Zelda, but I've developed a liking for Marth, ZSS, and Corrin over time).

I think it's cool if people want to voice their dislike or hate or apathy for a character as long as it's done in an appropriate way. But it's also video games. They're not serious enough to be getting as worked up about them as humans do imo.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Alright look I was wrong last week, the week before, the week before that one, the week before the week before the week before that one and the week before that

but

this time?

Punch out

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
More Mega Man X music please
Storm Eagle and Sigma Stage 1 from MMX1
Someone else can post I'm at work

As far as the music for today, I vote Metroid or Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.