• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what that person is getting at. The background image is looped.

Maybe they changed the image, sure, but why? They removed details such as clouds, waterfalls, whatever, for the final version? It's easier to assume that the person who made the leak did not know what the full image looked like.
the image it's being compared to is not static

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There basically two points against the changes in the background being different
  1. The official version of the empty battlefield apparently was animated, pair that with blurriness and you can explain the discrepancies
  2. They couldve changed it

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Can't wait to see Grinch Mii Fighters.
XQCuo5X.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would actually be more newcomers than Smash 4's base roster.... which means this is either BS or Sakurai was trolling with the warnings about not many new characters.

Not necessarily. Smash For had 15 non-Echo new characters and 21 with DLC. Ultimate would only have 10, 16 with Echoes.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, good point... even when considering only the launch roster, the larger amount of echoes in Ultimate means that Smash 4 had a significantly higher number of unique newcomers.
The Smash 4 newcomers also had alot of new mechanics and custom moves to also develop. Honestly getting 10 suddenly doesn't seem that outlandish with what they did with 4's cast

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, good point... even when considering only the launch roster, the larger amount of echoes in Ultimate means that Smash 4 had a significantly higher number of unique newcomers.

Brawl also had 18 unique newcomers with no straight up clones, just semis like Lucas, Wolf and Toon Link.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The Smash 4 newcomers also had alot of new mechanics and custom moves to also develop. Honestly getting 10 suddenly doesn't seem that outlandish with what they did with 4's cast
Smash 4 also had much larger development burdens in other areas... like the requirement to make 2 versions and the huge amount of new stages. Not to mention that it was the first HD Smash game, meaning a much larger amount of time was presumably consumed by creating high quality assets that can now be reused in Ultimate.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean using that logic, it's still more popular than Metroid.

I still think it's a shame that Takamaru isn't properly playable, but I suppose Mii Swordfighter DID steal a lot of his stuff. Since he's a human anyway, long as he can be a costume I guess it's fine....

At which I guess I'll point at Sourcegaming's early data, where Custom Robo seemed to be four times as big as Takamaru. (0.5% versus 2.3%)

I used to think Takamaru was really popular in Japan, but I've seen very little evidence of that. If anything, he seems to be much more popular here. At any rate, I end up feeling like it's silly to compare which Famicom rep that no one but nerds remember is more deserving on popular grounds, because them being in at all is in defiance of decisions based on the grounds of popularity.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As an amiibo collector, I'm going to be so happy if this leak is real :]

My wallet won't be, but we have a strained relationship

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God even if this all turns out to be fake this is the most fun I've had in these threads since August.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
At which I guess I'll point at Sourcegaming's early data, where Custom Robo seemed to be four times as big as Takamaru. (0.5% versus 2.3%)

I used to think Takamaru was really popular in Japan, but I've seen very little evidence of that. If anything, he seems to be much more popular here. At any rate, I end up feeling like it's silly to compare which Famicom rep that no one but nerds remember is more deserving on popular grounds, because them being in at all is in defiance of decisions based on the grounds of popularity.
And in fairness, according to another leak that corroborates THE BIG ONE, Custom Robo was GOING to have a rep this time around... :P

You're probably right. It just comes down to who Sakurai thought would be more interesting. I really hope Mach Fighter is cool (and a sorely needed female character), then, because I think a fully realized Takamaru would be amazing, even if some of his stuff like ninja stars were taken by Swordfighter.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't want people to blame Sakurai when the final reveals don't live up to the lofty expectations of a fake leak. Ultimate is super impressive as-is, and everyone is losing sight of that.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
doubly sorry, Heath but

also nobody cares about Incineroar I'm so sorry to be the one to tell you this

Don't get me wrong. I would chose Grinch Leak roster over Kencineroar leak in heartbeat in term of roster choices but there is something that I just can't believe in the leak. But it's just nuts how people would be so aggressive toward to people who doesn't believe in the leaks which made me feel somewhat wary about people in this community. Also I'm more concerned that people would be really upset and angry if the leak ended up being fake.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I would chose Grinch Leak roster over Kencineroar leak in heartbeat in term of roster choices but there is something that I just can't believe in the leak. But it's just nuts how people would be so aggressive toward to people who doesn't believe in the leaks which made me feel somewhat wary about people in this community. Also I'm more concerned that people would be really upset and angry if the leak ended up being fake.
The problem is that most of the ones saying that it's fake don't really have anything other than "blurry picture" and "wishlist roster" so it's just intuition vs intuition and y'know if people have a hard time swallowing that then that's fine.

It's the insiders that are trying to claim it's fake but won't give us any reason why that might be and to only take their word for it. Of course people won't react that kindly and it comes off more as attention grabbing or ass covering in case it is real then it does trying to put out the fire and get people back on the ground.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Okay, regarding the "It's not a static image" argument: Yes, it is actually.

(2:34:38 in case the timestamp doesn't work)

The screen transitions to Smash Ultimate and shows the empty mural background for a split second before it fills in with all the characters. None of the visible background elements move afterward, and there's no reason for the non-visible background elements to be moving because they're non-visible. Just because it's on a screen doesn't mean it's moving or that it's an ingame render. It's still just the artwork but on an LED screen.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't want people to blame Sakurai when the final reveals don't live up to the lofty expectations of a fake leak. Ultimate is super impressive as-is, and everyone is losing sight of that.
it is certainly too late

the man got death threats for making waluigi an assist

if incineroar is in the reveal will get more down votes than federation force

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

The leak is way more to my tastes than the rest of the additions would be, so the disconnect does have me a little wary. Not to mention that it's a lot of additions when we were already being primed to keep our expectation low. If it turns out to be fake I'll be a little disappointed, but I won't be too surprised, and I was already a little disappointed anyway.

That said, I also can't think of a good reason why it isn't real. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been postulated that even the disconnect with the informations leakers have may be due to incomplete information?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The leak is way more to my tastes than the rest of the additions would be, so the disconnect does have me a little wary. Not to mention that it's a lot of additions when we were already being primed to keep our expectation low. If it turns out to be fake I'll be a little disappointed, but I won't be too surprised, and I was already a little disappointed anyway.

That said, I also can't think of a good reason why it isn't real. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been postulated that even the disconnect with the informations leakers have may be due to incomplete information?
All we have is them potentially having good faith that Incineroar is in the game but nothing else beyond that from what we can see. Nothing that disproves it directly but calls it into question

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*shrug*

Smash Ultimate is already shaping up to be amazing. If this leak turns out to be the case then it just gets upgraded into literal dream game.

And besides, the only thing disproving the leak is a bunch of insiders who won't actually say anything.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
*shrug*

Smash Ultimate is already shaping up to be amazing. If this leak turns out to be the case then it just gets upgraded into literal dream game.

And besides, the only thing disproving the leak is a bunch of insiders who won't actually say anything.
Or even claims it directly proves it to be fake but rather contradicts it and calls it into question which can also apply to their source. So it's really their source against this leak

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm already satisfied, the newcomers so far have pretty much filled the biggest glaring gaps in the roster.

Whether we get an extra special bonus on top of that like this leak won't affect my overall enjoyment.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The burden is always on the leak to prove itself real. Or, at least, convince people that it is.

It's doing a pretty good job thus far.

The insiders (and ftr I want to stress that I believe them all to be credible and well researched and probably just nice and handsome blokes) all potentially have info that could end this right now, and they're not saying anything.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The burden is always on the leak to prove itself real. Or, at least, convince people that it is.
Same to the insiders that claim it's fake.

We have no reason to give them the time of day especially after all the other stuff they've gotten wrong especially in regards to Nintendo if they aren't going to give us the necessary proof for it. It's also worth noting none of them claim the leak is totally fake but that it's more likely to be based on their info.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Honestly the only way I'd be disappointed is if the Kencinieroar leak turns out to be real. If this big leak REALLY is fake, fine, I'm not upset. Just. Please not Kencineroar. At least let it be Incineroar and Shadow. Or some other character and Ken. The two of them together is just SUCH a boring note to end on. Like. I'd get over it since it's an amazing roster already but. Geez.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's doing a pretty good job thus far.

The insiders (and ftr I want to stress that I believe them all to be credible and well researched and probably just nice and handsome blokes) all potentially have info that could end this right now, and they're not saying anything.
They're not going to say anything if it means getting a source in trouble or violating an NDA. They know that the truth would come out eventually, so there's no pressure to disprove it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to say anything if it means getting a source in trouble or violating an NDA. They know that the truth would come out eventually, so there's no pressure to disprove it.

Which is fair, but if they're going to come in and outright say it's fake it'd be nice if they backed it up. At least by saying "I've directly seen evidence that proves X character is/is not in the game."

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I'm starting to feel like the big name "leakers" were fed some false info along with real info by Nintendo acting through their "sources" so as to protect the identity of the rest of the roster. Give away a couple of early reveals, so that the Banjos and Genos can remain secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.