• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His true form in OoT is Ganon the beast, which is the reincarnation of demise. Ganondorf is the form to take control of hyrule.

Your wrong. Demise's hatred pushes characters to evil, Some times its Ganondorf, some time Vati, some times its others. Ganondorf is a character born into the worlds lore that has his own motivations for his own people that are corrupted by Demise's hatred and latter becomes a pig monster or sometimes and older man that regrets the cycle he finds himself trapped in.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Guarantees they aren't character 5 for sure at least, but probably not even the next pass either.
If they decided the characters all at once, yeah. If it's handled like Smash Wii U/3DS going forward, they could have a chance later down the road.

I'm not talking about average smash fans. I'm not sure how did you get the notion that I'm talking about average Smash fans? If I'm talking about average smash fans, then I would talk about Bandana Dee, Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong, obscure picks that Smash or/and Nintendo fans really wanted to see. I have a feeling that you are trying to throw "your average smash fans" to just dismiss my points about Sakurai wants to focus on more collaboration and new franchises inclusion; and how they dropped Nintendo All Stars from the title.

Smash being the promotional vehicle and Sakurai might want to surprise the fans with favorite are the reasons why I haven't counted out Nintendo franchises YET and I'm open to it as well. There is a reason why few people strongly believe that it's going to be majority of third parties because of Sakurai's comments and President's comment as well.

TFcrey6.png

Basically it seems that it's a smart move to attracts fans by including their favorite franchises' characters in Smash Bros. So both sides would get exposed to new stuffs. Nintendo fans would learn more stuffs about third parties' franchises. And third parties fans probably pick up Smash Bros to play as their favorite character(s) against friends or so. Essentially they would get introduces to those Nintendo characters and third parties but is it completely guarantee that they would pick up the games. Nope but that's a risk they chose to endure. Also if people are going to pay for online services then they would get exposure to Nintendo Online System (NES and SNES).

That's why I think it's pretty smart move for them to making their goal to have Ultimate Crossover for Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Smash Bros Special. So it's essentially a special game to have a lot of crossover from many different franchises through collaborations. We will know for sure what would happens with second fighter pass eventually. People are getting their excitements from seeing who would be next characters getting in Smash Bros.

The truth is guest characters are more appealing to casual fans so that's why many fighting games are starting to have those guest characters from another universes or so. But you are right about the points of DLC is promotions both way or so. However at same time Sakurai said that it's a risky business so I presume with his statement that they also expect to make profits as well. They probably want to make profits, not just from characters but from the games they potentially sell to new fans.
But at the same time, while guest characters do boost DLC sales, I'm not sure if they widespread increase game sales (something that I couldn't find much hard evidence for when looking at other fighting games).

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
But at the same time, while guest characters do boost DLC sales, I'm not sure if they widespread increase game sales (something that I couldn't find much hard evidence for when looking at other fighting games).

There is a good example. Once Bayonetta got confirmed for Smash Bros, people were trying to check out the game and it was completely sold out due to low shipping. Also it increase the demands for Bayonetta 2 so they had to reprint more games to satisfying those demands. Meanwhile, the demands has been around and caused all used games values soars since I recalled that Bayonetta 2 was priced at 75-90 dollars during those shortage and high demands.

I know it's just a small sample but I have seen plenty of people buying the games or trying the games when the characters got confirmed, like Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Banjo Kazooie, Dragon Quest, etc. We already discussed about that before and I don't think we need to go through those arguments again. I still don't understand why you still deny it when we could see some impacts on social media, reddit, discords etc where they said they were interested in the franchises because of smash bros so where should we starts with?

If it happens in small scope then it's more likely to happens in bigger scope. That's why Smash Bros is an excellent marketing tool and that's why companies wanted their characters in Smash Bros because it heighten their branding awareness easily.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There is a good example. Once Bayonetta got confirmed for Smash Bros, people were trying to check out the game and it was completely sold out due to low shipping. Also it increase the demands for Bayonetta 2 so they had to reprint more games to satisfying those demands. Meanwhile, the demands has been around and caused all used games values soars since I recalled that Bayonetta 2 was priced at 75-90 dollars during those shortage and high demands.

I know it's just a small sample but I have seen plenty of people buying the games or trying the games when the characters got confirmed, like Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Banjo Kazooie, Dragon Quest, etc. We already discussed about that before and I don't think we need to go through those arguments again. I still don't understand why you still deny it when we could see some impacts on social media, reddit, discords etc where they said they were interested in the franchises because of smash bros so where should we starts with?

If it happens in small scope then it's more likely to happens in bigger scope. That's why Smash Bros is an excellent marketing tool and that's why companies wanted their characters in Smash Bros because it heighten their branding awareness easily.
Let me clarify, I meant sales of Smash.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify, I meant sales of Smash.

Alright, then.

They chose to continue their development as planned so it's taletelling that they are satisfied with the sales. It's more likely to believe that sales are doing pretty well for both aspects, Game sale and DLC sales.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate are still selling very well, and many games wishes that they have those strong legs like Smash Bros did. And I honestly think DLC supports should be factor as one of few reasons why the game is still selling currently.

As you see with Joker coming out during those week.

[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) – 11.080 / 3.029.577 <80-100%> (-2%) (Joker's week)
[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 12,266 (3,266,380) (recent week)

They managed to sell about 235k copies between the date of Joker's release and now so it's not that great evidence but it's a good tool to take a look at that and thinking, "maybe DLC actually help the sales-wise."

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Alright, then.

They chose to continue their development as planned so it's taletelling that they are satisfied with the sales. It's more likely to believe that sales are doing pretty well for both aspects, Game sale and DLC sales.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate are still selling very well, and many games wishes that they have those strong legs like Smash Bros did. And I honestly think DLC supports should be factor as one of few reasons why the game is still selling currently.

As you see with Joker coming out during those week.

[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) – 11.080 / 3.029.577 <80-100%> (-2%) (Joker's week)
[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 12,266 (3,266,380) (recent week)

They managed to sell about 235k copies between the date of Joker's release and now so it's not that great evidence but it's a good tool to take a look at that and thinking, "maybe DLC actually help the sales-wise."
But as you said, it's not exactly rock-solid evidence. DLC support in general does keep sales up as the game is still alive in a way, but we don't know if the inclusion of certain characters help spur sales. For example, Street Fighter V has had solid legs despite its rocky start in part thanks to its long-term support, but we don't know if certain characters help with that. Same with Tekken 7, though it had a better launch. Hell, Tekken 7 might be a better example since it actually has out-there guest characters like Negan & Noctis.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
But as you said, it's not exactly rock-solid evidence. DLC support in general does keep sales up as the game is still alive in a way, but we don't know if the inclusion of certain characters help spur sales. For example, Street Fighter V has had solid legs despite its rocky start in part thanks to its long-term support, but we don't know if certain characters help with that. Same with Tekken 7, though it had a better launch. Hell, Tekken 7 might be a better example since it actually has out-there guest characters like Negan & Noctis.

If guest characters doesn't help the games sales then why bother to pay so much for licenses to put characters they don't owned in the game since their fanbases would buy the season passes regardless. I think it's just crazy to argues that DLC doesn't help the games to sell.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If guest characters doesn't help the games sales then why bother to pay so much for licenses to put characters they don't owned in the game since their fanbases would buy the season passes regardless. I think it's just crazy to argues that DLC doesn't help the games to sell.
As I said, it helps sell DLC, that we can agree on. Sakurai mentioned how it's harder to sell DLC the farther the game goes on in its life. Stuff like guest characters helps retain interest with the existing audience. What we're discussing is if they help sales for the game itself on a wide scale, which we don't have much evidence of.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said, it helps sell DLC, that we can agree on. Sakurai mentioned how it's harder to sell DLC the farther the game goes on in its life. Stuff like guest characters helps retain interest with the existing audience. What we're discussing is if they help sales for the game itself on a wide scale, which we don't have much evidence of.
yup, and I think a boot load of people would buy tracer if they wenrt that route.