• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Thought about this, with the Nintendo quarter report and all the update for the software, now Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the best selling Super Smash Bros. game.
It's surely not a surprise, as a lot of games on Switch have archived new record for the series, but is still interesting to see the thrend of this series, as every game released so far have sold more than the previus one. That's not something you see every day, expecially for a 20 years old series.

Numbers for context:
Ultimate = 15.71 million
Smash 4 = 14.91 million
Brawl = 13.27 million
Melee = 7.41 million
Smash 64 = 5.55 million

EIO_ao-WwAUnH-9.jpg

I predicted 25 million units lifetime for this game back in July 2018, so far this prediction is looking good.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It hasn't even been a year yet, that's nuts. Switch is beasting right now. Feels like we get news on 'x' new installment in 'x' Nintendo franchise breaking series sales milestones every other day aha, and the party ain't even over yet with the holidays coming up. Grats to everyone involved in making this dope game.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's crazy how Smash has only grown with each entry.

Well deserved though. Ultimate is one of the best games this generation.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Smash 4's numbers would be worse if you counted the 3DS and Wii U games separately.

The hybrid idea was the best one Nintendo ever had.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
It's very interesting looking at its sales in the last quarter—by which I mean how they compare to the sales of Breath of the Wild in the same quarter.

It's outselling BOTW on a quarter-to-quarter basis, but the margin by which it did so in Q2 is actually very narrow.

I wonder which of the two will be leggier in fiscal Q3. I would assume Smash, but you never know.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
LTD will probably be almost double Brawl's figures.

Absolutely earned. Sakurai and his team went full beast mode on this game and I hope Nintendo is paying them handsomely.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It hasn't even been a year yet, that's nuts. Switch is beasting right now. Feels like we get news on 'x' new installment in 'x' Nintendo franchise breaking series sales milestones every other day aha, and the party ain't even over yet with the holidays coming up. Grats to everyone involved in making this dope game.

Super Mario Party is coming up on that milestone as well. Luigi's Mansion 3 will probably be there or pretty close by the end of the holidays. Fire Emblem is getting there as well. Absolutely crazy all around.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best Smash and best fighting game ever made. Smash well deserves the recognition it gets, and is one of the most unique games out there.

Thank you Sakurai!

Also, I had no idea Smash 4 sales were that high, or even higher than Brawl. I imagine it's the 3DS version selling well over the Wii U version?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Are there other series with 5 entries in a row that sold more than the previous ones? Nothing comes to mind off the top of my head.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anything in the industry generates as much hype as Smash. Those reveal trailers are events unto themselves.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best Smash and best fighting game ever made. Smash well deserves the recognition it gets, and is one of the most unique games out there.

Thank you Sakurai!

Also, I had no idea Smash 4 sales were that high, or even higher than Brawl. I imagine it's the 3DS version selling well over the Wii U version?

Smash 3DS sold 9 million, Smash Wii U sold 5 million.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
In a weird way, it is the best in the series for me, but I also feel like it is the one in the series that messed up the least. No tripping, plenty of things to customize, and a character selection that just includes everyone that was in it before. Anyway, it deserves to be the top selling.

I find myself just putting on the Music Player and shuffling through the soundtrack.

Can't wait for Terry!

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
deserved considering its easily the best game in the series
amazing results for a year

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved, amazing game.

The only thing that's bad about it it's the online, the rest is 10/10.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
After reading this, the thought occurred to me that Nintendo's supply situation is 100x better than it was last gen and I'm so thankful for that. Outside the system itself, I really haven't had trouble buying a single physical copy of any Nintendo game yet.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Deserved, amazing game.

Actually, it's...
  • Terrible netcode
  • Bad matchmaking options
  • Lack of gender & ethnic diversity in the roster
  • Meh single-player options
Other than those four things & a couple of QoL issues (Ex: the Stage Hazard Toggle should be like Omega & BF variants), this game is fantastic.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Actually, it's...
  • Terrible netcode
  • Bad matchmaking options
  • Lack of gender & ethnic diversity in the roster
  • Meh single-player options
Other than those three things & a couple of QoL issues (Ex: the Stage Hazard Toggle should be like Omega & BF variants), this game is fantastic.

The Single Player content is way better than Smash 4, so I'm not sure I agree with that one. World Of Light, Spirit Battles, and unique Classic runs give you a lot to do. I mean, I guess if you don't like them, you don't like them, but they're better than basically every other single player options in the rest of the Smash series, except maybe Brawl?

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Expected and wholly deserved, Ultimate really is the Ultimate Smash Game, dare i say the Best fighting Game ever made!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The Single Player content is way better than Smash 4, so I'm not sure I agree with that one. World Of Light, Spirit Battles, and unique Classic runs give you a lot to do. I mean, I guess if you don't like them, you don't like them, but they're better than basically every other single player options in the rest of the Smash series, except maybe Brawl?
It's better than Wii U/3DS, but it's still behind Melee & Brawl. Fortunately, the game is great in spite of all its flaws.

Expected and wholly deserved, Ultimate really is the Ultimate Smash Game, dare i say the Best fighting Game ever made!
Let's not go that far.

OP
OP
Ryng™

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Ehhh, Melee's single player really isn't anything that notable.

No it isn't, but is still well above Ultimate single player in my opinion. Ultimate was really a disappoint for this, World of Light was really bad.

But it's ok what matter is the multiplayer and that's really amazing, just nerf and buff a bit some characters and you have the perfect competitive game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
When I first played SSBU I was honestly slightly worried I was disappointed, and thought maybe 4 was better.

But now I think Ultimate is the clear winner.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
That's nuts, but not surprising. Glad to see it do well. I enjoy Smash even though I don't normally play fighting games.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think it's pretty crazy that it's the #2 selling Switch game in less than half the time any of the other big Nintendo games on their list have been out.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

The online is a huge problem but there are other things, mostly from the perspective of competitive play. Buffering is so trash. 2 Framing is still a shitty mechanic. Not being able to run through shielding opponents sucks. Training mode is still very limited lacking fairly standard features like replay playback so we have to buy hardware to practice against anything resembling a person.

Also the single player is very lacking imo.