• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Sakurai's priorities still seem to be the same regarding care and detail towards certain franchises. I can't really understand why up to this point Diddy retains his Brawl model and doesn't have his new jet and backpack from DKCR and DKCTF, and it was pretty embarrasing to see Sakurai trying to make us believe that Fox has been fully revamped into his Zero design when he still has his Brawl model too (just with a new jacket).

On the other hand, Ike now has two designs to choose between and Marth has been dubbed into new languages. Classic Sakurai. At least this time he showed some love to Ganondorf, I guess?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When folks are talking about echoes, is that just in reference to an alt costume being another character or a full clone?

It's a full clone, not an alt.
But those are the proper full on clones that share most if not all animations and specials, and have nothing to differentiate them from the original, except for tweaks to stats or a slight change in mechanics (such as Lucina not having the tipper).

Currently the Echoes we know are Lucina, Dark Pit and Daisy, though we have no further information on how much of a difference the latter will have compared to Peach.

Leo might have pushed the inevitable Bayo nerf forward by a significant amount.

Good, haha. Maybe that's exactly what Leo wanted.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
According to some of the people there, Sakurai shook his head in disbelief when MkLeo did the ladder combos with Bayo. Might get changed.

Several top players pointed out that the ladder only worked because Green Greens had a low ceiling and Ridley was too big. By design, big characters are easy to combo. When Leo went up against ZeRo's Mario he would visibly fall out of the ladder in some awkward angles on multiple occasions, so to some extent it's already been altered from the way it was in Smash 4. It's been mentioned that she might not look much different but playing her you can definitely tell she's been nerfed.

That said, this is Sakurai - who had the Meta Knight ladder patched out after he saw it done by Abadango in a tournament... even though players eventually found another ladder with him.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
81px-Sonic_SSBU.png
99px-Snake_SSBU.png
96px-Mega_Man_SSBU.png
100px-Pac-Man_SSBU.png
90px-Ryu_SSBU.png
94px-Cloud_SSBU.png
100px-Bayonetta_SSBU.png

It's still insane to me that all of these characters are together in the same game.

Smash Bros. is incredible.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand necessarily what's wrong with ladder combos. Anything that takes the time to kill down is good in my book, because I felt the side blast zones were far too extreme in Smash 4.

It looks like especially with Green Greens we might have lower ceilings and smaller blast zones on some maps which is what I like about melee.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With every character having their own theme for the little trailers, will we finally get the unique victory jingles that have been floating around since Brawl's development?
Would be awesome.

81px-Sonic_SSBU.png
99px-Snake_SSBU.png
96px-Mega_Man_SSBU.png
100px-Pac-Man_SSBU.png
90px-Ryu_SSBU.png
94px-Cloud_SSBU.png
100px-Bayonetta_SSBU.png

It's still insane to me that all of these characters are together in the same game.

Smash Bros. is incredible.

Bomberman is in it too! Just... not playable. :[
But Simon might be, which is pretty amazing as well.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Why do people still expect Ashley? She's just a Wario Ware character, Sakurai doesn't seem to want to make any of them playable and she was an Assist trophy last game.

Most likely characters are probably recent A-listers like Captain Toad, Dixie (TF), and K. Rool due to popularity, besides the obvious new Pokemon rep.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest hype for me is seeing the glorious return of OoT Ganondorf.
No more crappy TP design, we get the legit thing, accompanied with the best Ganon as final smash.

That was definitely a surprise after BoTW went with a TP-like quadrupedal boar again - even with the OoT look, I thought they'd have kept it.

The new Ganon looks great, especially after the not-exactly-impressive appearance he made in the Wii U game.

latest

Those teeth...

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
I am looking forward to being able to enjoy Magicant for sure
Magicant is definitely the stage I'm most looking forward to playing with this option. Such a great stage that was set back by the hazard (Wily's Castle had a similar problem). But now with this option, Magicant very likely will become my favorite stage.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Magicant is definitely the stage I'm most looking forward to playing with this option. Such a great stage that was set back by the hazard (Wily's Castle had a similar problem). But now with this option, Magicant very likely will become my favorite stage.
Totally agree, that Magicant hazard was bonkers. That dude could beat some ass.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When there's over 66 characters in and Sakurai tells everyone "Don't ask for too many newcomers" And people are still like "Here are the 20 new characters I expect, why haven't they been announced yet"

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know, stage hazard toggle is nice but I'm assuming that you can't pick and choose what you want to remove. Removing Flying Men means also removing Brick Road, the Mobile Sprout and the Sky Runner which are some of the best parts of the stage. It's a shame but at least it'll still look and sound gorgeous.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping we get stages like Yoshi's Story and Dreamland 64 back. Having as many of the competitive stages as possible ALONGSIDE the battlefield and FD variants of stages is going to make this a lot more fun to play since there'll be more variety when I'm playing with friends/online. Ranked online being FD only was a huge disappointment to me.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know, stage hazard toggle is nice but I'm assuming that you can't pick and choose what you want to remove. Removing Flying Men means also removing Brick Road, the Mobile Sprout and the Sky Runner which are some of the best parts of the stage. It's a shame but at least it'll still look and sound gorgeous.
This is definitely true, it's very likely they'd remove all of that as well which would be a bummer. With that said, I guess that might explain why there's four different versions of all of these stages lol.

I'm really hoping we get stages like Yoshi's Story and Dreamland 64 back. Having as many of the competitive stages as possible ALONGSIDE the battlefield and FD variants of stages is going to make this a lot more fun to play since there'll be more variety when I'm playing with friends/online. Ranked online being FD only was a huge disappointment to me.
Dreamland and Yoshi's Story I believe are back.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
When there's over 66 characters in and Sakurai tells everyone "Don't ask for too many newcomers" And people are still like "Here are the 20 new characters I expect, why haven't they been announced yet"

It's a new game, people expect more than just 2 new characters.

If we get less than 10 it'll be disappointing, and that's not counting echoes like Daisy.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I admire Sakurai's dedication to not doing any Kirby stages from new games.

Just when you think he will be pushed to include something from a new game, he makes the next Smash a return of everything with a likely low number of original stages.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
A lot of people seem to be convinced there are still some unannounced characters. I'm not convinced, personally. 65 is an enormous roster and Sakurai did mention that there would be fewer newcomers. Ridley being the final Smash character announced would be somewhat poetic, considering how long people have been clamouring for it. I'd love for there to be more new additions but I'm satisfied if there aren't any.

Game looks great. I'm so curious about how many stages it will have by the end.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people seem to be convinced there are still some unannounced characters. I'm not convinced, personally. 65 is an enormous roster and Sakurai did mention that there would be fewer newcomers. Ridley being the final Smash character announced would be somewhat poetic, considering how long people have been clamouring for it. I'd love for there to be more new additions but I'm satisfied if there aren't any.

The only reason I think there may be more is because launch is so far away and they haven't revealed Shadow yet.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
We'll get My Stages one day... but I'm pretty okay with waiting if this is what we get

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Why do people still expect Ashley? She's just a Wario Ware character, Sakurai doesn't seem to want to make any of them playable and she was an Assist trophy last game.

Most likely characters are probably recent A-listers like Captain Toad, Dixie (TF), and K. Rool due to popularity, besides the obvious new Pokemon rep.

Ashley is popular which is why she got in as an assist in the first place. She was also not yet seen back as an assist unlike some others. With a potential unique moveset she could be on a short list.

He's always said don't expect a lot, we never know what that means.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I feel like we're in for quite a few Echo Fighters and maybe 2-3 newcomers. They wouldn't "rebrand" clones for nothing.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Ashley is popular which is why she got in as an assist in the first place. She was also not yet seen back as an assist unlike some others. With a potential unique moveset she could be on a short list.

He's always said don't expect a lot, we never know what that means.
Yeah it could be for the entire duration of the game or just the initial release. This game is coming out pretty early in the Switches life.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking the only reason Sakurai didn't say that all stages were returning is because Miiverse is still an uncertainty. Source Gaming counted 75 stages in all the material released so far, which is about 80% of all Smash stages.

This game is going to be a dream come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.