• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be excited for this, but I really suck at fighting games and I probably won't buy this. I was really sad when majority of the direct is for smash.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get over how much better this looks than Smash 4.

How did they do it?

Looks phenomenal.

ss_6.jpg

I CAN'T.

some of it does, but I cant agree with using Fox as an example of that. The biggest difference for fox is how less saturated the colour is and they gave him a duckface

also:
someone help DK. DK needs help

The lower colour saturation is really evident here
and im not sure whats going on with pikachus armpits in the new one D:

Last edited:

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring multiple modposts not to discuss the port/sequel status of Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
They have tweaks but nothing new. No new moves, no updated characters like making Ganondorf, a long stay of the series, no longer a Captain Falcon clone. In fact I'm seeing things a bit of a step backwards with the new Final Smash changes.
There are core mechanic changes, characters do have new moves, characters are updated, and Ganon has three new smash attacks at least. Your entire paragraph is false.

Anyone that thinks the game is a port is being willfully ignorant. Full stop.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? Waluigi would've made a great echo for Peach. Sport moves with the smash, can reuse Peach's old Toad hostage, Waluigi absolutely loves to butt check people.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Theres a image of Mario hagin on a ledge with Luigi near over him and Mario is seeing him with a mad expression on his face. That kinda details make this game amazing.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring multiple modposts not to discuss the port/sequel status of Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
There are core mechanic changes, characters do have new moves, characters are updated, and Ganon has three new smash attacks at least. Your entire paragraph is false.

Are these things being showed off in other videos? I'm just going by the E3 Direct. No where did I see showcasing of new moves other than the Final Smash changes. And the mechanic changes are nice, but I'm not seeing as drastic of changes as Melee -> Brawl or Brawl -> 4. Just tweaks like making dodging weaker.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting, but I really really disliked 3rd party characters. I think that Snake (argh) and Cloud (-_-) are so irrelevant in Smash.

Well, it is just a game. I play mostly with Ness, Villager and Bowser anyway.

Now, let me see the modes! Can I dream with individual Break the Targets again? (The answer is no)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Have we seen it? Pit's FS seems primed to be applied to Pittoo as well.

That's a good point, although they could also leave Dark Pit's intact for variety. But yeah, they could also make it the same as Pit's new one, which would mean all echo fighters keep all of the original's moves including Final Smashes.

Incidentally, have we seen Daisy's Final Smash? Or Peach's? I wonder if they changed Peach's considering the emphasis on quick ones that don't disrupt the flow of the match, and assuming they keep it, I'm wondering how much they'll change it for Daisy. Maybe it'll generate edible daisies? :D

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing Smash games since the N64 days. Back when GameCube was released (my favourite Nintendo system) I played Melee for hundreds of hours. The only one I have not played extensively is the handheld version for 3DS.

I say this for, whatever this game was going to be, I was already determined to enjoy it, and I certainly plan to do so, when December comes. However, I must align with the people who see this release more as a definitive version of what the Smash series has been to this day, than the next next big step for the saga. Is that a problem? That would depend on what you expected, in the first place. The quality and depth of content is undeniable, but it's not hard to imagine, after BOTW or Odyssey, a group of fans who imagined a certain revolution for Smash, within the limits of genre and series.

This feels much more continuist than I expected, but I'm equally satisfied with what they've chosen to do.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now, let me see the modes! Can I dream with individual Break the Targets again? (The answer is no)

As awesome as it would be to have a return of both individual Break the Targets and Board the Platforms (alas that one never gets mourned nearly as much), with a roster of around 70 characters at the very least, I sincerely doubt that it will happen.
Making individual courses of those for each character simply is a massive amount of workload that could probably be spent better otherwise.

That said, it IS Smash Ultimate, and they seem to be doing what's basically have all of the previous Smash games united in this and then some, so... maybe.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017

When I read his post I just thought if Luke Skywalker's line: "wow, everything you just said is wrong."

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really do believe that the combination of everyone returning (even Pichu), Echo Fighters, and Sakurai's comments about how many newcomers to expect probably threw a huge monkey wrench into most prediction lists.

I'm now expecting the newcomer list to be something along the lines of:

Inkling
Ridley
Dixie
Chorus Kids/Marshal/Play-Yan
Ashley
Simon Belmont
Third Party Character #2 (I want to say Travis Touchdown but I don't want to hope for a broken heart)

Along with the following as Echo Fighters:

Daisy
Isabelle
Dark Samus
Shadow
Funky Kong

I don't think Jeanne will make it as an Echo Fighter. Bayonetta is already such a handful to balance/change that I don't think they'd bother - plus, in the E3 demo build, Bayonetta still has the Jeanne color palette, unlike Samus who got her Dark Suit palette removed. Given the environment of the game, Elma just does not seem likely to me anymore. I'm convinced that Rex and Spring Man will end up as DLC, with the latter getting a Ribbon Girl echo fighter for good measure.

So what has become of Rage?

We don't know yet. Given the playing environment, it's impossible to reliably test it.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Biggest hype for me is seeing the glorious return of OoT Ganondorf.
No more crappy TP design, we get the legit thing, accompanied with the best Ganon as final smash.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watching the fake ass reactions on YouTube legit triggers me, people going crazy about Ridley's reveal yet don't even know his name prior to him being shown...

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Are these things being showed off in other videos? I'm just going by the E3 Direct. No where did I see showcasing of new moves other than the Final Smash changes. And the mechanic changes are nice, but I'm not seeing as drastic of changes as Melee -> Brawl or Brawl -> 4. Just tweaks like making dodging weaker.

In the direct they showed Ganon using his sword. All his Smash attacks use his sword now. Zelda's phantom now has different attacks based on how you charge it, including an ability to set him as a trap and move independently from him. There's a lot that wasn't shown completely in the Direct.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watching the fake ass reactions on YouTube legit triggers me, people going crazy about Ridley's reveal yet don't even know his name prior to him being shown...

Then don't watch them?

You guys are getting me excited for Dark Samus lol

I wouldn't even care if she was a clone

I'm more hoping for Hilda as clone myself, but Dark Samus would also be rad. Though I hope they call her Metroid Prime instead cause it's a much cooler name tbh.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't know if this has been pointed out yet but it seems that in place of the Dojo and Pic of the Day, this time we have *drumroll please*... the Super Smash Blog.

I6ATwfT.png

It got an update today. Not sure how involved it'll be, but it seems like we'll still get some daily highlights.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/index.html

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the "don't expect many newcomers" was completely outside my expectations since I was expecting something like Smash 4.

My guess for how this shakes out is something like...

Inklings
Ridley
Simon Belmont
Third Party #2 (Minecraft? lol)
Gen 7 Pokemon
Ballot Pick (K. Rool or something)
New Nintendo IP? (Rhythm Heaven, ARMS)
Retro Pick (probably Excitebike)

Then another 2 to 4 or so echo characters.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
With the ability to turn off stage hazards being a thing, what stages do you guys see being tourney legal? Wily Castle, Magicant, and Frigate Orpheon come to mind for me.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Are these things being showed off in other videos? I'm just going by the E3 Direct. No where did I see showcasing of new moves other than the Final Smash changes.
Many of these were shown in the direct. Ganon using his sword, Link having remote bombs, directional air dodging are all shown in the direct.

And the mechanic changes are nice, but I'm not seeing as drastic of changes as Melee -> Brawl or Brawl -> 4. Just tweaks like making dodging weaker.
What's the measurement being used here? What "drastic" mechanic change was there from Brawl to Smash 4? The removal of tripping? Also, the dodging changes are huge. I don't know how seriously you play the game, but just a couple of changes to dodging will make a very large difference to how the game is played.

Haganeren

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring multiple modposts warning not to discuss the port/sequel status of the game
In the direct they showed Ganon using his sword. All his Smash attacks use his sword now. Zelda's phantom now has different attacks based on how you charge it, including an ability to set him as a trap and move independently from him. There's a lot that wasn't shown completely in the Direct.

Doesn't change much, MElee => Brawl the whole system was just completely different, same with BRawl => 4... And let's not get started with 64 => Melee of course.

I mean, a "super Smash 4" was basically what i wanted so it's cool as far as i'm concerned but let's not kid ourself

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
So I don't know if this has been pointed out yet but it seems that in place of the Dojo and Pic of the Day, this time we have *drumroll please*... the Super Smash Blog.

I6ATwfT.png

It got an update today. Not sure how involved it'll be, but it seems like we'll still get some daily highlights.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/index.html

Yeah, looks like it'll be a looooong wait until anything not already well known (64 days even, if they go character a day - and that's not including the possibility of no weekend update like Pic of the Day.)

I wonder when the item and stage page will be available. Honestly doesn't seem like there's much reason why they're unavailable now but it's still a small part of the hype cycle I guess.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any big changes for characters? Wonder what pro players are saying.
Zelda, Pikachu and Samus are notably buffed. Sheik is mostly unchanged (except for a better BAir). Snake is still really good.
VoiD claims Fox is nerfed or at least not very good anymore. Bayo is nerfed but still really damn good.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Zelda, Pikachu and Samus are notably buffed. Sheik is mostly unchanged (except for a better BAir). Snake is still really good.
VoiD claims Fox is nerfed or at least not very good anymore. Bayo is nerfed but still really damn good.
A lot of what you're saying seems to line up with Hungrybox's assessment. He mentioned the buffs, how Bayo is nerfed (but still good), Sheik is the same, Snake is good, Fox nerfed. He mentioned that Ness was good but I'm not sure how true that is though.

Textured Monk

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, but I really really disliked 3rd party characters. I think that Snake (argh) and Cloud (-_-) are so irrelevant in Smash.

Cloud kinda makes sense as a FF rep, but someone who actually appeared on a Nintendo console would make more sense. A Cecil alt costume or something would be cool, but I doubt we'll even get that much.

Hyped for updated Ganondorf. Wonder if they'll take any inspiration from Hyrule Warriors?

Also sign me up for more Xenoblade folks. I'd main the hell out of Dunban whether he's new or an alt, but a XB2 rep is more likely I guess. Rex or (late game Xeno2 spoiler)
Malos
would be the easiest matches for Shulk.

When folks are talking about echoes, is that just in reference to an alt costume being another character or a full clone?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder when the item and stage page will be available. Honestly doesn't seem like there's much reason why they're unavailable now but it's still a small part of the hype cycle I guess.

I imagine it's more that the roster of stages and items is going to be gargantuan.
Assuming that all stages come back, and that potentially all items - including pokeballs and ATs - are back as well, that's a LOT of images, descriptions and videos to put up. Thousands. I'm not even kidding.

I think their main priority was getting the character page up first, and they'll be starting to update those other two pages soon.

Bayo is nerfed but still really damn good.

According to some of the people there, Sakurai shook his head in disbelief when MkLeo did the ladder combos with Bayo. Might get changed.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
When I read his post I just thought if Luke Skywalker's line: "wow, everything you just said is wrong."
lol

Yup, has been confirmed by the Invitational players.
You can see it yourself during that as well. Frigate Orpheon didn't flip, Saffron City had no Pokemon come out of the door, etc.

Nairo and TKbreezy confirmed it.

Which is why I'm so excited at the idea of a legal Magicant.

This is incredible news. I'm so hyped.

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it's more that the roster of stages and items is going to be gargantuan.
Assuming that all stages come back, and that potentially all items - including pokeballs and ATs - are back as well, that's a LOT of images, descriptions and videos to put up. Thousands. I'm not even kidding.

I think their main priority was getting the character page up first, and they'll be starting to update those other two pages soon.

According to some of the people there, Sakurai shook his head in disbelief when MkLeo did the ladder combos with Bayo. Might get changed.

Leo might have pushed the inevitable Bayo nerf forward by a significant amount.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change much, MElee => Brawl the whole system was just completely different, same with BRawl => 4... And let's not get started with 64 => Melee of course.

I mean, a "super Smash 4" was basically what i wanted so it's cool as far as i'm concerned but let's not kid ourself

Why would anyone want a major overhaul at this point? Smash 4 was pretty good. I don't want everyone's moves changing. I could hope for maybe differentiating the echo fighters more but that's asking for a lot at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.