• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So I have four fighters left going into the final area of WoL, and I'm wondering if I passed up anyone or if all four are coming up?
Dark Samus, Roy, Palutena and Bayonetta

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had too much time to play but I gotta figure out a control scheme for the Pro controller. For whatever reason the A and B feels off. I'm guessing it translated from the game cube controller with A being the main button. Maybe I'm used to kinda thinking "heavy" attacks for the top button so hitting B feels a little weird. I probably just gotta play more to get used to it.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
- Fix the typo on "Bein' Friend" so that it's properly named "Bein' Friends"

For reference, I believe said typo was present on the original MOTHER OST, so I imagine they're paying homage to that. I agree it should be updated, though.

- Fix the Smash 64 and Brawl Trophy Gallery songs missing as selections for main menu music, despite both being in Sound Test

It seems like many of the past Smash themes simply exist for the sake of Sound Test.

Is the Smash 64 menu theme not available? I haven't beaten WoL yet.

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
Can anyone explain me why explosive items such as the smart bomb and that flaming X bomb thing do not damage the user anymore? What is this? It feels like any strategy on how to use them is completely gone. Was the same way in SSB4?

Also why is Pikachu's thunder not stopped by ceilings and upper platforms?

I haven't had too much time to play but I gotta figure out a control scheme for the Pro controller. For whatever reason the A and B feels off. I'm guessing it translated from the game cube controller with A being the main button. Maybe I'm used to kinda thinking "heavy" attacks for the top button so hitting B feels a little weird. I probably just gotta play more to get used to it.
I'm using A for jump, B for attack and Y for special. Not optimal, but at least I can jump using the corner of the thumb like with the gamecube controller.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Greninja's Classic has you fighting against Pokemon Types...like Bowser and Chaizard for Fire, the Pikas and ZSS for Electric, and then...Ivysaur on his own. Wonder if they'll add Pirahna Plant to that.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That's a shame; I was hoping to use that one.

Maybe that and the Brawl Trophy Gallery went against Sakurai's philosophy of adhering to exciting music? I know I never used the latter in 4.
The coin launcher from Brawl is a menu song choice, and it's not exactly a rousing fight song

Greninja's Classic has you fighting against Pokemon Types...like Bowser and Chaizard for Fire, the Pikas and ZSS for Electric, and then...Ivysaur on his own. Wonder if they'll add Pirahna Plant to that.
I think they should have used Daisy.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone explain me why explosive items such as the smart bomb and that flaming X bomb thing do not damage the user anymore? What is this? It feels like any strategy on how to use them is completely gone. Was the same way in SSB4?

The X bomb didn't hurt you in Smash 4, but the smart bomb did, and I'm pretty sure it still does in Ultimate?

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

I'm using A for jump, B for attack and Y for special. Not optimal, but at least I can jump using the corner of the thumb like with the gamecube controller.
That's kinda where I was thinking of going. Seems more of the traditional action game controls.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The fact Daisy isn't used and Ivysaur is akwardly on his own definitely makes me think they already planned to patch Plant in there.
I'm not sure if they'll patch in DLC fighters into base game content. Showing people characters they have to pay for instead of being able to be unlocked would be weird.

Unless PP would only show up if you actually owned it. That's how Classic handled DLC fighters in Smash 3DS.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I just hope DLC characters actually get Classic routes. Seems like an easy thing to do, but it's a crapshoot to guess this stuff lately.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.ninte...ndex.html?from_game=1&na_lang=en-US&country=U

1001_news.jpg

There's an influx of characters with glasses and sunglasses on the Spirit Board! Defeat them to earn extra gold!

Legend-class spirits James McCloud and Jeff, and Ace-class spirits Brittany and Brewster will each appear for a fixed time.

Don't miss these spectacular spirits!

James McCloud is a pretty easy fight for a Legend Class (it's just a 1v1 on Venom with a level 9 Fox) so it would be good for getting the "Beat a Legend" challenge

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
You can do that? Sorry for the possible dumb question. This is my first time playing a Smash game. I'm still learning the controls and how to fight

Create a username in settings, which allows for remapping of buttons for that user. When selecting a character, you can click player one or whatever and choose that username to have the button layout for whatever controller you use. It also puts your username over your characters during gameplay, which helps to keep an eye on yourself when things get crazy.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyonke knows why it's the case, but one thing I've been sad about, the real lack of FF spirits/music. Like I'm noticing a TON of MGS, Castlevania, SF themed ones, all being from things not from Nintendo games of course and there was even a
Castlevania/SF/MH themed levels within adventure mode and it would been SO cool to have an FF style area here somewhere..
FF feels so lacking in comparison, which is a real shame, it's an iconic franchise that's been missed here. I'm not sure if it's SE to blame (Most likely I guess?) or Nintendo didn't want it at all (Unlikely).

Makes me worry for potential Sora DLC if they can't even allow things from their fully owned franchise, which is baffling, not even FF summon spirits it seems, which are already in the FF7 stage anyway would have made sense.

I have to say as well, this more than any other SSB (At least from Brawl to now), this feels more like a homage and celebration of gaming more than anything else, so it feels really special.
There's no question it was SE that didn't want to play ball here. When Sakurai said "everyone is here nearly didn't happen", you can bet your ass it was SE that were the culprits. FF7 is one of my fave ever games, and I'm grateful and amazed Cloud even got in at all (even in the previous game), but my god, it's so disappointing as a fan to see how shafted Cloud and FF7 were here when you look at how much Konami and Capcom threw stuff in.

As for Sora, Disney owns all the rights to the original Kingdom Hearts characters, so that's another company altogether Nintendo would have to deal with. Plus Nomura is pretty protective of him anyway, even tho it would be up to Disney, so I think that makes it even less likely. Heck, the Sora DLC didn't even return in the updated port of World of Final Fantasy Maxima, so if SE can't even bring him back for a minor battle appearance there, what hope does he have of being a full character in SSB?

Not to be a downer about it, but I would say don't get your hopes up too high on this one. And if it does miraculously happen, then it will be a huge shocker, all the sweeter, and you'll know Nintendo is dishing out unreal bribes lol.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so tired of Lifelight. Sakurai, I know you're proud of your main themes, but you gotta get a couple more melodies.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright! Done with grinding out SP for all of the spirit summons. Now all that's left is the evolved ones, which I'm not in a hurry, and clearing the challenge pages (for some of which I'm also not in a hurry lol), and I'm done with the single player content.

The fact Daisy isn't used and Ivysaur is akwardly on his own definitely makes me think they already planned to patch Plant in there.

Something that also supports this is the fact that there is no Piranha Plant spirit. There's only Petey Piranha, who evolves out of a Nipper Plant of all things.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud's series symbol being "FF" is the most Square-Enix thing ever. Everyone else gets nice, elegant things evoking their games... and Cloud gets

FF
rather than
SE pls.

It's nice that Konami and Capcom were willing to embrace Smash. Seeing all the spirits and music from their series is so great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud's series symbol being "FF" is the most Square-Enix thing ever. Everyone else gets nice, elegant things evoking their games... and Cloud gets

FF

SE pls.

It's nice that Konami and Capcom were willing to embrace Smash. Seeing all the spirits and music from their series is so great.

I mean, the FF icon would make sense...if there were characters from more than one FF game in Smash.

All things being said, though, the icon should probably either be Meteor or (if they still want it to generally represent FF overall) a Crystal.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really really don't care about balance patches until the online is fixed. Hopefully Sakurai sees the criticism about it

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the FF icon would make sense...if there were characters from more than one FF game in Smash.

All things being said, though, the icon should probably either be Meteor or (if they still want it to generally represent FF overall) a Crystal.
Yeah I edited that in, but it's baffling. They have the perfect symbol right there and still opt for the sterile "FF".

It feels kinda representative of Final Fantasy's appearance in Smash, actually... sterile.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
I've not really played Smash before. I like the look of this one (mainly due to the variety in the roster) but I'm not really sure whether I'd get enough enjoyment out of the game given that I don't really play online. Is that where the 'real' game is?

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone has the same problem as me?

When I play against a good player, I play really really good. However, when I play against a bad/not-so-good player, it's like my brain goes to "dumb" mode and I perform really bad, to the point that I lose the match -_-.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I edited that in, but it's baffling. They have the perfect symbol right there and still opt for the sterile "FF".

It feels kinda representative of Final Fantasy's appearance in Smash, actually... sterile.

It's especially weird in that Cloud's entire presence in World of Light is so sudden and random. He's just...guarding the Master Sword. I haven't encountered a spirit using him as a base for a while, even when there are piles of JRPG and action game spirits who could ABSOLUTELY use him as their base form.

Meanwhile, nearly every single female JRPG character in the entire game seems to be represented by Lucina. Someone at Bandai Namco has a fetish.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've not really played Smash before. I like the look of this one (mainly due to the variety in the roster) but I'm not really sure whether I'd get enough enjoyment out of the game given that I don't really play online. Is that where the 'real' game is?

I mean, when all is said and done, it's a fighting game. Do you like fighting games? If so, then you'll like this for certain - it is the base for the game after all.
However, this game also has a huge amount of meaty content, with a variety of modes, collectibles and challenges/achievements, so there's plenty of single player stuff you can do.

It's especially weird in that Cloud's entire presence in World of Light is so sudden and random. He's just...guarding the Master Sword. I haven't encountered a spirit using him as a base for a while, even when there are piles of JRPG and action game spirits who could ABSOLUTELY use him as their base form.

Meanwhile, nearly every single female JRPG character in the entire game seems to be represented by Lucina. Someone at Bandai Namco has a fetish.

I think you can count the spirit fights that use Cloud on one hand, lol.
Bloody Square.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to spending a decent amount of time with King K Rool yesterday, I have a new favorite

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Except for the Galeem version <3

I don't see myself tiring of that anytime soon.

I love the menu theme and the multi man melee version.

But the fact that nearly every single original song in the game is an arrangement of Lifelight is just really starting to grate on me. I can hear it in my fucking sleep. This must be how other people felt about the Brawl theme.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
You can do that? Sorry for the possible dumb question. This is my first time playing a Smash game. I'm still learning the controls and how to fight
Go to Options (side menu, ZR or Z button) -> Controls -> Enter a name -> Select the name -> Select your controller type -> Other Settings -> Stick Jump off

Then select your name when you play by clicking on Player 1 during character select and changing to your name.

Status
Not open for further replies.