• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are some of your best online stories so far? One of my favorite moments is when I managed to bring a match to sudden death which I won in the last few seconds of a match by landing a really clutch spike with Shulk's down air (which is not particularly easy to do as far as spikes go)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are some of your best online stories so far? One of my favorite moments is when I managed to bring a match to sudden death which I won in the last few seconds of a match by landing a really clutch spike with Shulk's down air (which is not particularly easy to do as far as spikes go)
I spent a match with another Isabelle just playing around fishing off the side of the stage. Didn't catch anything though so I've had better fishing trips

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what's the main difference between Daisy and Peach? Been using Daisy for a few matches but haven't picked up Peach in Ultimate.

Although Peach and Daisy are functionally the same (yes, I mean the same), the main difference is that Daisy has a more lively personality and has some different animations + flower effects for attacks.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This situation actually reveals how much the translators seem to lack knowledge about the game during development. I remember talking about how in the E3 Direct's original Japanese track/text, the original script actually just said that they had different "character setting", which could reference just characterization, rather than different mechanics, but the official translation outright claimed they had gameplay differences. I thought they might have translated like that due to inside information, but it doesn't seem to be the case by now.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
This situation actually reveals how much the translators seem to lack knowledge about the game during development. I remember talking about how in the E3 Direct's original Japanese track/text, the original script actually just said that they had different "character setting", which could reference just characterization, rather than different mechanics, but the official translation outright claimed they had gameplay differences. I thought they might have translated like that due to inside information, but it doesn't seem to be the case by now.
They all have at least one thing which differs from their prime character, so they aren't strictly wrong.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
QUESTION for those who have done 8-player Smash on Switch:

Does the system count paired JoyCons (i.e. using the Dog Ears controller) as 2 separate connections? Trying to set-up 8-player, using 2 Pro Controllers, 2 sets of JoyCons, and 4 GCN controllers with official adapter. First I ran into an issue where slot 1 didn't work on the adapter - but it seems a hard reset has fixed that. But now it tells me "too many controllers connected" before we get 8 people going. The ONLY thing I can think of is that each JoyCon set is "2" and thus hitting the limit... somehow?

Any thoughts? Having people over in about an hour.

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played the Switch much on my TV, but is it normal for Smash (or other Switch games) to look washed out on a 4K TV? The game looks so much better in handheld mode.

Anyways, the game is great. I haven't played it since gamecube and 64. Has to be the best fighting game out there in my opinion. Easy to pick up and play but yet challenging to be efficient. The cast of characters from different franchises adds so much to the game. Also, how is Tifa not in this game?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QUESTION for those who have done 8-player Smash on Switch:

Does the system count paired JoyCons (i.e. using the Dog Ears controller) as 2 separate connections? Trying to set-up 8-player, using 2 Pro Controllers, 2 sets of JoyCons, and 4 GCN controllers with official adapter. First I ran into an issue where slot 1 didn't work on the adapter - but it seems a hard reset has fixed that. But now it tells me "too many controllers connected" before we get 8 people going. The ONLY thing I can think of is that each JoyCon set is "2" and thus hitting the limit... somehow?

Any thoughts? Having people over in about an hour.
Yes, each individual joycon is a controller that counts up to the Switch's max of 8 possible wireless controllers. No idea why you would have issues with that particular set up though

Kenagain

Oct 27, 2017
So am I the only one the is really enjoying the adventure mode? I feel like all of the reviews bombed that mode specifically, but to me it's just a beefier and more exciting version of event matches from melee

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They all have at least one thing which differs from their prime character, so they aren't strictly wrong.
different idles do shift the hurtboxes, I suppose. Like simon has an idle that puts him just a little taller than richter for a few frames. & Daisy's final smash has the different artworks. That's something?

I'm glad Richter & Daisy are in but it's a shame they didn't get something more distinct. A little flourish. I liked the idea that Daisy's daisy effets would shift the hitboxes closer or further on some of the moves, but it seems to just be a vsiual difference. Smash wiki keeps claiming that Richter's Holy Water lacks a flame type hitbox but it still causes fire effects on the opponent and makes hotheads grow so...

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, each individual joycon is a controller that counts up to the Switch's max of 8 possible wireless controllers. No idea why you would have issues with that particular set up though

Yeah... that was my thought. It'd make sense that there can only be four paired JoyCons in WIRELESS - but as it currently is, I have six wireless conecttions (4 "controllers") and then four wired connections.

Surely this isn't unique, but it's clearly an issue. Hmm. Appreciate the quick reply.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played the Switch much on my TV, but is it normal for Smash (or other Switch games) to look washed out on a 4K TV? The game looks so much better in handheld mode.

Anyways, the game is great. I haven't played it since gamecube and 64. Has to be the best fighting game out there in my opinion. Easy to pick up and play but yet challenging to be efficient. The cast of characters from different franchises adds so much to the game. Also, how is Tifa not in this game?
I only play docked. Check your system's color options in the settings. Toggle the color range options.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know how its called the song from WoL's Temple of light? T

I know I've heard it before, but can't remember where.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Smash wiki keeps claiming that Richter's Holy Water lacks a flame type hitbox but it still causes fire effects on the opponent and makes hotheads grow so...
I think that's just a matter of hotheads growing from more stuff than they used to. It doesn't melt frozen opponents like flame hitboxes do (which I just verified myself, so I'm at least confident enough to say that), so that's technically a gameplay difference even though it kinda isn't really.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's just a matter of hotheads growing from more stuff than they used to. It doesn't melt frozen opponents like flame hitboxes do (which I just verified myself, so I'm at least confident enough to say that), so that's technically a gameplay difference even though it kinda isn't really.
oh interesting
It will almost never come up and is probably a glitch but...it's something. Take that penny to the bank and deposit it

I bet it's probably a glitch when they were applying the changed effects, I could see it getting changed eventually

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So am I the only one the is really enjoying the adventure mode? I feel like all of the reviews bombed that mode specifically, but to me it's just a beefier and more exciting version of event matches from melee

Nah. People generally love it.

I do think some reviewers burnt out trying to go through it all at once for reviews

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of echo differences that were probably a glitch to begin with it seems Dark Pit no longer has that weird, otherwise unstated slight changes to his flurry jab and forward tilt knockback.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. People generally love it.

I do think some reviewers burnt out trying to go through it all at once for reviews
I was honestly surprised how much I enjoyed it, I thought it'd get pretty tedious but...i dunno! I guess the world map and its interactions really did a lot to keep it interesting. Every sub area in particular was just a treat to go through. Presentation can go a long way, I guess!

I will say that had I decided this would be my main method of unlocking characters (I ran through classic, myself) and/or was trying to rush through it I'd probably hate it though. They, uh, really make you wait for characters all the way to the end.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pauline's Spirit is absolute cancer. Like the fuck am I supposed to do when she's not only constantly running away but these two other assholes keep chasing me, picking up stopwatches and just generally being massive asshats.

The stupid ass stage doesn't help either.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Pauline's Spirit is absolute cancer. Like the fuck am I supposed to do when she's not only constantly running away but these two other assholes keep chasing me, picking up stopwatches and just generally being massive asshats.

getting the stop watch first is your best bet, or having the AI fuck up and kill themself (this is how I won it)

I've had friends who did it with a launch star, though.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
They have different taunts. Their gloves look a bit different
Although Peach and Daisy are functionally the same (yes, I mean the same), the main difference is that Daisy has a more lively personality and has some different animations + flower effects for attacks.
She is like a little tiny bit shorter, like Lucina to Marth.

Apparently every other difference was just natural variance in hitboxes & placebo

Thanks! I'll definitely be sticking to Daisy then.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

I forget who mentioned it, but someone here suggested using a Staff-equipping Spirit and that did the trick for me. Just climb up your starting position, carefully take two shots, and she should go down.

With the tougher Spirits, I've generally found items are a great help.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good breakdown anywhere of differences between echo fighters and their counterparts?

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom

You got any spirits that gives you a staff equip? Peach doesn't move at all unless you get close so snipe her from a distance 3 or more times.
Edit: Beaten.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about WoL - I want to just get to the end at this point but I know I'm about half way...

I'm in the Dark Realm and got inside the Mysterious Dimension and this just feels endless. I already have all the characters unlocked so I don't want to waste time with them but just want to advance to the end. Where do I need to go to face Dharkon? I can't find ANY guides or videos online that talk about beating the game quickly - they are almost all 100% guides or overviews on how to get good spirits or unlock characters.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Just use Staff Equipment Spirit and snipe Peach with it. It only take three hits to knock her out. (Just make sure you could hit her and stay far away from her as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.