• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate |OT| Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny

May 28, 2018
Waa able to obtain a copy of Smash one day early because I talked nicely to the clerk at our local and she was happy to make an exception for me.
Played for 3 hours and the game is just amazing. So many situations making me smile plus! I feel like I can spend days in the OST section.
Cannot to continue tonight but I'm looking forward for my next session!

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the load time improvements alone are godly. That + the preset game mode selection is just perfect.

This is the sort of game you wish you could make as you’re hitting a deadline. “Oh, if only we had another six months.” Well, yeah, they got that + like two years. It’s amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
My copy arrived today, that was a nice surprise to come back to from work. Had a whirl with my Little brother and holy hell is the movement so fluid and snappy, it also didn't take long for me to unlock Peach and Young Link. Also playing in the Great Bay makes me badly want a Majora's Mask in HD, it looks so good.

However I do have a few criticism,

-I hate the menu music, sorry folks but I don't like the song, and wish that I could swap it out but there doesn't seem to be an option,
-Navigating the stage select screen is a nightmare as you have to find them by images and for some daft reason you can't group them together by game series, which would have made a lot of sense.
-The selection of new stages is a pitiful 4 as it padded out with old stages with the remaining new stages being relegated as paid DLC,
-Young Link is good an all but his reach is so short and I miss Twilight Princess Link, who was my main.
-As I don't plan to pay for on-line, I won't be able to clear the on-line check board. :(

Oct 28, 2017
So I was just watching Zero's stream...why is the camera so fucked up on Onett?

It seems normal on every other stage, but on Onett, instead of just zooming in or out, it "tilts" when players get near the edges in a really weird way. Totally ruins playing on the stage.

Has anyone else noticed this?

You're being a little bit extra right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, watching Zero's stream. He starts an ironman (win a match with each character in a row online, random order), loses on his second match when randomizer gives him Robin, a character he's totally unfamiliar with, and matches him against Nakat's inkling. He actually pulled off a pretty good match regardless, had a hype comeback going on for a bit on his last stock

Oct 27, 2017

Some things look better on Switch, as the picture of the video shows, other things look better on Wii U, like Donkey's fur for example.
DK's fur is basically the only example that I'd fully agree looks better on Wii U
There's also Fox and the Castle Siege map, which are debatable
Everything else looks better on Switch (ranging from a little to a whole hell of a lot better looking) as far as I can tell

I wonder if online won't be as hammered as it has been in the past since it's no longer free.

EDIT: Watching the graphics comparison between Wii U and Switch, I'm ready for a new Pikmin. That was probably one of the least impressive upgrades but it got me hyped for Pikmin 4 anyways.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just pre-ordered digital version through best buy. I honestly am not too excited for this compared to Brawl and Wii U. But at the same time I am idk. Doesn't even feel like a Smash game is even coming out tomorrow

Oct 25, 2017
DK's fur is basically the only example that I'd fully agree looks better on Wii U
There's also Fox and the Castle Siege map, which are debatable
Everything else looks better on Switch (ranging from a little to a whole hell of a lot better looking) as far as I can tell
I'm surprised how many of the character models are new when they easily could have gotten away with just using the Wii U assets, I didn't notice Fox until that video but he's clearly a bit more detailed in areas, most obvious with his ears.

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of a dumb question, but here I go.

I managed to grab an early copy and it's now in my hands. I live in LatAm. Chances of getting banned by going online because Nintendo hates people who get early copies?

Oct 28, 2017
FYI the character unlock method that has been consistently spread around and was leaked weeks ago isn't actually true. Even though it has now been repeated in the "unlock guides" of many big websites (hmmm...).

Unlocks are not on a timer and that timer is not reset by rebooting the game.

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can “bank” multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row. Less easy to understand how the supposedly professional websites got it so wrong. IGN's Smash Wiki Editor Brendan spent hours and hours testing, and re-testing character unlocks:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

Oct 25, 2017
Just pre-ordered digital version through best buy. I honestly am not too excited for this compared to Brawl and Wii U. But at the same time I am idk. Doesn't even feel like a Smash game is even coming out tomorrow
My attitude has been pretty passive about it compared to the last ones too, but I also know for a fact that when I sit down and actually play it, it's going to consume me. Just been avoiding any non-Direct info about it and patiently waiting for tonight.