• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate |OT| Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny

Oct 27, 2017
My attitude has been pretty passive about it compared to the last ones too, but I also know for a fact that when I sit down and actually play it, it's going to consume me. Just been avoiding any non-Direct info about it and patiently waiting for tonight.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. It's been like that with pretty much every Nintendo game for the past several years with me.

May 31, 2018
So this is unlocking in an hour and 15 minutes in the UK, right?

Right?

We're getting fucked over with The Game Awards timing (albeit less so than others), the least we can have now is getting to laugh at Americans having to play the game after The Game Awards instead of before.

Oct 25, 2017
FYI the character unlock method that has been consistently spread around and was leaked weeks ago isn't actually true. Even though it has now been repeated in the "unlock guides" of many big websites (hmmm...).

Unlocks are not on a timer and that timer is not reset by rebooting the game.

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can “bank” multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row. Less easy to understand how the supposedly professional websites got it so wrong. IGN's Smash Wiki Editor Brendan spent hours and hours testing, and re-testing character unlocks:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate
this is some how both less weird and more weird than just a timer, but does explain some things we saw in pre-release

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know how Palutena plays? She is a soft spot favorite for me in spite of her low tier rating. I usually like quick, agile characters, but that insane reach plus hitting like a motherfucking truck is really appealing.

Oct 25, 2017
These unlock methods are so convoluted and time consuming. What possessed Sakurai to make 90% of the roster unavailable when you boot up the game?
I think there's something to be said about the thrill of unlocking new stuff in a video game. It gives you a purpose to try every character instead of just sticking to one main --in theory, at least.

Tournament organisers are gonna hate this though lol

May 31, 2018
These unlock methods are so convoluted and time consuming. What possessed Sakurai to make 90% of the roster unavailable when you boot up the game?
Because he thinks having only the original 8 and then unlocking characters from their was a cool way to do things.

I agree tbh, even though I can see how it might be annoying for tourney people (though I'm still not sure why they can't just use cloud saves).

Oct 28, 2017
FYI the character unlock method that has been consistently spread around and was leaked weeks ago isn't actually true. Even though it has now been repeated in the "unlock guides" of many big websites (hmmm...).

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can “bank” multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row. Less easy to understand how the supposedly professional websites got it so wrong. IGN's Smash Wiki Editor Brendan spent hours and hours testing, and re-testing character unlocks:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate
Wow, that's a weirdly interesting mechanic, 7 minutes and I'll test it myself, thanks!

Oct 25, 2017

Sakurai, you crafty bastard

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there’s a much faster way to unlock characters in smash bros. What you do is change the game language and that resets the unlock timer. So do a quick smash fight and jump off and die on purpose. Then you get a challenger screen and u win the fight and unlock the character. Then change language and do it all over again. Saves hours.