• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate |OT| Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there’s a much faster way to unlock characters in smash bros. What you do is change the game language and that resets the unlock timer. So do a quick smash fight and jump off and die on purpose. Then you get a challenger screen and u win the fight and unlock the character. Then change language and do it all over again. Saves hours.
I'm confused. Does the IGN article about it being based on the amount of inputs contradict this?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that I keep pestering you. But what do you mean by defaults being liked because of no setup needed?
This is not a setting like "no items". It's per player name. You need to put yours up in settings if you want to use anything but defaults, either step by step or with a transfer device if there are any (Brawl had Wii Remotes for sure), which takes time for physical tourneys - but used to be done on request. There tend to be few advantages of particular control settings as well, aside from #1: personal preferences and #2: glitches involving hacky implementation of right stick as attack shortcut in past titles which are rarer and rarer.

Again, I suggest you to visit ssbwiki.com unless it's down. They have pretty thorough explanations of loads of stuff, from base mechanics to technique jargon - though Ultimate stuff is obviously in progress.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Does the IGN article about it being based on the amount of inputs contradict this?
So it's kind of hard to explain but it is based on number of inputs, however there is a 10 minute timer coded in the game that prevents you unlocking them faster than every 10 mins. However it will still keep track of your inputs for future unlocks.

The language switch bypasses the 10min timer block.

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a setting like "no items". It's per player name. You need to put yours up in settings if you want to use anything but defaults, either step by step or with a transfer device if there are any (Brawl had Wii Remotes for sure), which takes time for physical tourneys - but used to be done on request. There tend to be few advantages of particular control settings as well, aside from #1: personal preferences and #2: glitches involving hacky implementation of right stick as attack shortcut in past titles which are rarer and rarer.

Again, I suggest you to visit ssbwiki.com unless it's down. They have pretty thorough explanations of loads of stuff, from base mechanics to technique jargon - though Ultimate stuff is obviously in progress.
So if I'm understanding this, in competitive smash, they keep things as default (control wise) for a leveled playing field now? Or do they actually allow button configurations in a tournament level? And I've been reading some stuff there, it's really cool, thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
OK there is no way the smash 4 ai cheated this much in the unlock fights Holy shit.
From what I've seen the high level AI actually does way less "cheating", that is input reading, than Smash 4 AI it's just significantly more advanced and will actually go for some crazy kills, off stage plays, and recoveries, such as Snake using his C4 to help recover, whereas Smash 4 high level AI relied super heavily on perfect shields that a normal human would never have had time to react to.

Oct 25, 2017
So it's kind of hard to explain but it is based on number of inputs, however there is a 10 minute timer coded in the game that prevents you unlocking them faster than every 10 mins. However it will still keep track of your inputs for future unlocks.

The language switch bypasses the 10min timer block.
OK, so simply starting a match and instantly falling off isn't going to work because of too few inputs?

Sounds like it's easiest just to play normally and change the language every couple matches to avoid any cooldown?

Oct 25, 2017
honestly wish they had like a full roster unlock for a dollar or something to make it easier on TOs but I bet that would get so much bad publicity lol
there really should be an option to hold a button when entering a (nonWoL/Classic) mode to unlock every character for that play session. Wouldn't mess up the unlock progression for those who like it while also allowing for quick set-ups for parties and Tournaments.