• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Unlocking is garbage, setting up tourneys will be fun :/

Enjoying the game otherwise. Bowser feels beastly.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Guys have a question about characters unlock, do certain fighters require certain tasks or everyone will be unlocked eventually if I keep playing even if I'm a noob?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Yeah, this online is seeming like a downgrade so far. Of any possible rule set, FFA no items omega stage is the worst, and that's like 3 out of 4 I matchmaker into. If we're gonna FFA at least make it interesting with items.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
1 hour impressions: single player modes stink. Online seems better than WiiU in that its payable half the time. Facial animations are fun. Unlock method is annoying. Amiibo still pointless. 8/10

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a bunch, I somehow missed the part about playing classic mode, appreciate it.
You dont have to be I did it like 3 times and I havent stopped getting unlocks doing 1v1s and then resetting the game

It's because there's a minimum walking distance/jump requirement. Classic mode isn't necessary at all. Just run around on a map for awhile and if no character unlocks show up with doing the home button exit game exploit, just run around again.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Man. You really got to use spirits seriously lol.

An Olimar fight was kicking my butt cause he had an Ace spirit and I only had advance.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's because there's a minimum walking distance/jump requirement. Classic mode isn't necessary at all. Just run around on a map for awhile and if no character unlocks show up with doing the home button exit game exploit, just run around again.
Yeah but you earn some shit in classic and boost those stats at the same time instead of mindlessly running and pressing buttons

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but you earn some shit in classic and boost those stats at the same time instead of mindlessly running and pressing buttons

Right, but I'm just saying if you're focus solely on getting the characters fast, you don't have to do classic mode at all. Obviously there's more fun ways to do it. :p

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so my cousin found the proper way of doing the reset scheme. Pretty much play Vs CPU 1 stock till you get a new challenger. Beat them. When it says "______ joins the battle" reset your game on that screen! When you do any 1 stock fight a new foe will pop up again. Rinse repeat. Easy money.

I keep losing the challenge battles though. I'm so bad.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
So is there just no attempt at latency mitigation? They just went with input lag? Nintendo still doesn't know how to do netcode for smash over 3 generations?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I'm determined to stick with it and actually learn this game this time around. For a newbie, who's a good choice out of the starting roster? I've also unlocked Zelda and Ness. I'm assuming Mario, but wanted to check.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
this is my roster brfore heading off to bed:

DtzKfUJVsAEhLIS.jpg

all unlocked via Spirit mode execpt for Ness; once I back out os story mode it gave me a "A new challenger approaches"

Spirit mode is fucking AMAZING!!!!

Edit just unlocked Zeldo! LOL went to check my progress and back out and another :Challenger" went down

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Man, starring at the full roster in-game is such a beautiful sight. Pictures of the complete CSS never gave off the same feeling of being overwhelmed with choices that I feel when actually selecting from the menu myself. I think i'm done for my first day of playing the game, with 12+ hours down already.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll.

I can not get the reset method to work. What the heck am I doing wrong? I did the 10 min battle, now I reset the game by closing and relaunching. It won't give me a new challenger after my first battle. It keeps taking the whole 10 mins.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad I discovered Stick Sensitivity in the other settings for controls. I really felt just off with being able to control my jumps after coming off so many hours of Smash 4, but high seems to have fixed that.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
fucking logged into story and back out and netted Pit and Inkling!!! lost to fucking Bowzer thanks to that fucking witch koopa bagged me and took me to the shadoow realm....

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I posted this in this thread earlier this afternoon:

All the character unlock methods, including the "10 minute timer" and "reset" tricks, are wrong. Wrong info is still being copied into community google docs and wikis. Character unlocks are based on TOTAL PLAYER INPUTS (button presses):

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

"Unlocks are not on a timer and that timer is not reset by rebooting the game.

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can "bank" multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row."

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll.

I can not get the reset method to work. What the heck am I doing wrong? I did the 10 min battle, now I reset the game by closing and relaunching. It won't give me a new challenger after my first battle. It keeps taking the whole 10 mins.

There's a minimum walking distance/jumping distance you have to do. Jump around in a match for awhile.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Man this better not be representative of the long term matchmaking rule sets or I'm going back to smash 4.i really really hate it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few matches over WiFi and was very impressed by performance. Lots of 4p with very minor lag or jitter, almost unnoticeable really.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll.

Im telling yall go do classic mode once or twice and save all that little man work

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I posted this in this thread earlier this afternoon:

All the character unlock methods, including the "10 minute timer" and "reset" tricks, are wrong. Wrong info is still being copied into community google docs and wikis. Character unlocks are based on TOTAL PLAYER INPUTS (button presses):

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

"Unlocks are not on a timer and that timer is not reset by rebooting the game.

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can "bank" multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row."

That explains why I unlocked like 3 or 4 dudes in the span of less than 10 matches lol. Still pretty bad at the game so I'm really just smashing those buttons like hell.

Anyway, definitely grabbing another Pro controller after work on my way home. I live with my brother currently, and he seemed to enjoy Smash Wii U, so maybe I can get him to play Ultimate with me every now and then. Don't want to make him use the joy-cons though - I hate them for action games, doubt he'd love them either.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so my cousin found the proper way of doing the reset scheme. Pretty much play Vs CPU 1 stock till you get a new challenger. Beat them. When it says "______ joins the battle" reset your game on that screen! When you do any 1 stock fight a new foe will pop up again. Rinse repeat. Easy money.
This works. Just home button and close app, get back into fight and repeat

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys a question over a problem I've had in Smash Bros since Melee, is it supposed to be difficult to face the right direction?

I feel that whenever I want to quickly switch the way I am facing I end up running fast in that direction.

E.g. If I am facing right and a Pokeball appears just behind my back, when I try to face that way to grab it I usually then end up running way past the pokeball and usually in to somebody else (or some hazard).

Any tips?

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple online quick matches that include team battle and free for all, and I'm impressed. There is a little bit input delay in some of my runs, but overall online experience is way better compare to smash Wii U, that one would lag per second while ultimate is smoother and becomes more enjoyable because of that.

Oct 28, 2017
Guys a question over a problem I've had in Smash Bros since Melee, is it supposed to be difficult to face the right direction?

I feel that whenever I want to quickly switch the way I am facing I end up running fast in that direction.

E.g. If I am facing right and a Pokeball appears just behind my back, when I try to face that way to grab it I usually then end up running way past the pokeball and usually in to somebody else (or some hazard).

Any tips?
I also have this problem and came here to ask about it. :x

CookieMonster

Oct 30, 2017
The gamecube controller lag is terrible. I fought Zelda and it registered my inputs 1-2 seconds later. Needs to be fixed asap.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
For people that put a shipping order in with Best Buy, the coin has to be picked up in a BB store? It's actually not shipped with the game?

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to change the main menu theme like you could for Brawl? I got lost in My Music for 20 minutes, and I'm too scared to go back.

Oct 28, 2017
How is the game for someone who kind of enjoy fighting games? I've never given Smash a proper go, but the single-player offering and amount of content really makes me want to buy the game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this online is seeming like a downgrade so far. Of any possible rule set, FFA no items omega stage is the worst, and that's like 3 out of 4 I matchmaker into. If we're gonna FFA at least make it interesting with items.

The fact that I can't specifically queue (only "prefer") 1v1 stock fights like in the last one really took the winds out of my excitement for online.

Status
Not open for further replies.