• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
These unlock methods are so convoluted and time consuming. What possessed Sakurai to make 90% of the roster unavailable when you boot up the game?
I think there's something to be said about the thrill of unlocking new stuff in a video game. It gives you a purpose to try every character instead of just sticking to one main --in theory, at least.

Tournament organisers are gonna hate this though lol

Plum

May 31, 2018
These unlock methods are so convoluted and time consuming. What possessed Sakurai to make 90% of the roster unavailable when you boot up the game?

Because he thinks having only the original 8 and then unlocking characters from their was a cool way to do things.

I agree tbh, even though I can see how it might be annoying for tourney people (though I'm still not sure why they can't just use cloud saves).

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be about to pick it up right now if I didn't order from Amazon, atleast I complained to their support and they gave me a $20 voucher.

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
FYI the character unlock method that has been consistently spread around and was leaked weeks ago isn't actually true. Even though it has now been repeated in the "unlock guides" of many big websites (hmmm...).

Unlocks are not on a timer and that timer is not reset by rebooting the game.

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can "bank" multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row. Less easy to understand how the supposedly professional websites got it so wrong. IGN's Smash Wiki Editor Brendan spent hours and hours testing, and re-testing character unlocks:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

Wow, that's a weirdly interesting mechanic, 7 minutes and I'll test it myself, thanks!

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
FYI the character unlock method that has been consistently spread around and was leaked weeks ago isn't actually true. Even though it has now been repeated in the "unlock guides" of many big websites (hmmm...).

Unlocks are not on a timer and that timer is not reset by rebooting the game.

Unlocks are based off of total player inputs and button presses. So if you play a furious, button-mashing 2-minute match you'll get a Challenger Approaching, but if you play a lot more passively and press way fewer buttons, it may take 10 minutes or more.

The big pre-release confusion seems to be that you can "bank" multiple character unlocks if you meet the button-presses requirements, but their appearance is on a cool down - the game spaces them out and doesn't give them to you back-to-back. So if you performed enough inputs to unlock 3+ characters you'd then unlock them in 10-minute increments, and this is the cooldown that CAN be skipped and reset by rebooting the console. But rebooting WILL NOT unlock a character if you didn't have enough logged player inputs already.

Easy enough to understand how a few pirates more casually playing misunderstood what was happening when they reset their console and got a new character several times in a row. Less easy to understand how the supposedly professional websites got it so wrong. IGN's Smash Wiki Editor Brendan spent hours and hours testing, and re-testing character unlocks:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-sma...Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

Sakurai, you crafty bastard

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm just going to go through classic mode with all of the characters. I figure that should cover everything eventually.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Gah I forgot how infuriatingly cheaty the ai can be in this game.

I'm not exactly good but it's just annoying. Playing against the challenger approaches is like playing against a fucking flowchart.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
my switch pro controller finally came in. This thing feels fucking amazing. definitely going to try and get used to it rather than go with gamecube controller at this point

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered the 8bitDBros GC Bluetooth adapter, hopefully it will be good enough for my amateur ass until the wires adapters become available.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hey there's a much faster way to unlock characters in smash bros. What you do is change the game language and that resets the unlock timer. So do a quick smash fight and jump off and die on purpose. Then you get a challenger screen and u win the fight and unlock the character. Then change language and do it all over again. Saves hours.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Anyone knows when I can play the digital version? It just turned 00:00 here in Sweden but still say unavailable

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Chrom seems broken to me, dear lord I hate sword fighters. Melee marth is only exception, maybe also smash 4 and brawl marth. But Chrom seems absurd

So.... how is it? For a Melee stan, mainly.
you won't see anything like this

but the game looks fun, very neutral heavy

Last edited:

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Anyone else in Australia? Travelling down under atm but I bought the game on the English eshop and anxiously waiting for it to pop

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: how does the save data interact with multiple profiles? Do all of the profiles share the same save slot like in Smash Wii U or are they seperate now?

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: how does the save data interact with multiple profiles? Do all of the profiles share the same save slot like in Smash Wii U or are they seperate now?

Yah, I'm also wondering about this. Kinda pissed me off how it was done on Wii U, and there's a lot more to unlock this time.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
honestly wish they had like a full roster unlock for a dollar or something to make it easier on TOs but I bet that would get so much bad publicity lol

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there's a much faster way to unlock characters in smash bros. What you do is change the game language and that resets the unlock timer. So do a quick smash fight and jump off and die on purpose. Then you get a challenger screen and u win the fight and unlock the character. Then change language and do it all over again. Saves hours.

I'm confused. Does the IGN article about it being based on the amount of inputs contradict this?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that I keep pestering you. But what do you mean by defaults being liked because of no setup needed?
This is not a setting like "no items". It's per player name. You need to put yours up in settings if you want to use anything but defaults, either step by step or with a transfer device if there are any (Brawl had Wii Remotes for sure), which takes time for physical tourneys - but used to be done on request. There tend to be few advantages of particular control settings as well, aside from #1: personal preferences and #2: glitches involving hacky implementation of right stick as attack shortcut in past titles which are rarer and rarer.

Again, I suggest you to visit ssbwiki.com unless it's down. They have pretty thorough explanations of loads of stuff, from base mechanics to technique jargon - though Ultimate stuff is obviously in progress.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Glad you can still unlock characters through Classic mode. It's great for those of us who like to play solo. Though I understand the frustration for those who want to play with all the fighters right away.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Does the IGN article about it being based on the amount of inputs contradict this?

So it's kind of hard to explain but it is based on number of inputs, however there is a 10 minute timer coded in the game that prevents you unlocking them faster than every 10 mins. However it will still keep track of your inputs for future unlocks.

The language switch bypasses the 10min timer block.

Status
Not open for further replies.