• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Can you change the main menu music like in previous games? I can't seem to find a way to do it

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I like how Dark Samus' classic mode references incidents where certain memebers of the cast have been corrupted/possessed in their home series (Zelda, Ken, etc.)

Because you know. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This being my very first Smash game the default controls settings with the jump buttons as the top two are messing with my head big time and I'm flailing around like an idiot.

Also, I thought Amiibos unlocked the character. Is that not the case?

Finally, did the day one patch kill the quick unlock method?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just did Pikachu's classic mode and it's time to go to bed. I liked how the match against the two pichus referenced Plusle and Minun, though the Poke Floats music during Mewtwo's fight made me sad. The new credits game is pretty fun though I wonder if will still be fun the next 79 times

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
This is not what I expected at all. So many negative changes.

1. Running into fighters, can't run past to do a back smash
2. Character select comes after stage select
3. Can't change menu music... and intro music is a huge step down
4. Characters look like clay... is this Clayfighter? Colors seem off too, Pikachu is so light. I actually think Smash 4 looks better.
5. Rolling gets slow so fast... it feels so bad to me
6. This is more debatable, but Link is straight up awful now. And from what I can tell his voice sfx don't have any round robin, so it's the same "Yaa" for every forward smash.
7. Do I feel offline lag on the GameCube controller? Is this a game thing or Switch thing?

I do really appreciate all the work put into the game by Mr. Sakurai and the team, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it so far. I'm sure I'll get used to most of it. The classic mode is a huge win for me.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wait...does the game seriously not have surround sound? I'm only getting stereo. There's nothing in the options that I can see.

And yeah, I have it set correctly in the Switch settings (and verified with the sound test there).
Does the game now play in surround? I have set my Switch to 5.1 and Octopath, for example, still plays back in stereo.

Brichfield

Oct 25, 2017
So, the fast unlock method of resetting the game after an unlock does not seem to be working? A lot of folks are saying that method isn't working for them.

If so, that really, really sucks.

It's working just fine for me, but what can sometimes happen is you get "off the track" of the typical play match, sd, right new challenger. When that happens you need to play a new vs. Match with as many controllers as you have and mash buttons.

That'll make a new challenger pop up, then you can get back to resetting the game and doing quick matches to unlock characters quick.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to squeeze in about 10 2-stock matches against 3 CPUs before work and I'm definitely enjoying the hell out of it. Never played that much Smash so I'm sticking with Link for now, he seems simple enough. I'll probably move on to Little Mac when I get him, he was always fun in the Wii U Smash.

I think I actually like the fact that you have to unlock characters. Gives me something to look forward to.

Still bummed the board game mode isn't in, but at least Smashdown (or w/e it was called where already-used characters are locked) seems cool.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
This is not what I expected at all. So many negative changes.

1. Running into fighters, can't run past to do a back smash
2. Character select comes after stage select
3. Can't change menu music... and intro music is a huge step down
4. Characters look like clay... is this Clayfighter? Colors seem off too, Pikachu is so light. I actually think Smash 4 looks better.
5. Rolling gets slow so fast... it feels so bad to me
6. This is more debatable, but Link is straight up awful now. And from what I can tell his voice sfx don't have any round robin, so it's the same "Yaa" for every forward smash.
7. Do I feel offline lag on the GameCube controller? Is this a game thing or Switch thing?

I do really appreciate all the work put into the game by Mr. Sakurai and the team, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it so far. I'm sure I'll get used to most of it. The classic mode is a huge win for me.
Roll spamming was a prominent problem in Smash 4 and why Little Mac was "broken" to a lot of people at release. You're gonna have to be agressive or avoid damage another way.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
My friend is asking how to re-challenge a new character? It won't let him and none of the methods to get a challenger approaching work.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fast unlock doesn't seem to be working for me. SAD.

Trying to have a meetup for the game tomorrow. Ugh...

Oh, it needs to be with a 2nd player, got it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm finding that the biggest adjustment I have to make from Smash 4 is how high damage of a game this is. I'm so used to 85-100% being a general kill range, yet pretty much all of my matches are ending with KO percentages around 180% or so. Knockback being generally higher's throwing me off a bit, too.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
I'm trying to do the reset method but it seems to still take ten minutes for a characters to pop up. Am I doing this wrong or did I understand wrong?

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Roll spamming was a prominent problem in Smash 4 and why Little Mac was "broken" to a lot of people at release. You're gonna have to be agressive or avoid damage another way.
I understand that, but it feels so wrong when I'm just rolling by myself and it is off on the second roll. A lot of these things are just habit breaking and gamefeel, but I'm legit frustrated with not passing through characters.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DpRmK0iVAAEZeNn.jpg

this game is so good brehs

Danimaniac

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I wonder if the 1.1 patch or whatever it was changed the unlock reset trick.

Not working for me. Gonna keep trying and see if something changes.

Still having a blast though. :)

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
I haven't played since brawl, and I'm so bad. Does anyone know if there's a site that can help me learn basic techniques and maybe more advanced techniques for certain characters? I know the game just came out, but maybe even if there's one for 4 that will probably updated for ultimate, that would be really helpful to bookmark.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best mode for getting a feel for the controls? This is the first Smash Bros. I've played since the first one, and I'm completely lost.

Also, you have to unlock the fighters? Does anyone know if this is grind-y? I hope not!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
How do you know who is a Magician support?

I have Charlotte from Castlevania who I would've thought was a Magician but I'm at a part where it asks for a Magician and no one I have works.

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked up the game from Best Buy and spent the first 25 minutes listening to songs in the music mode. The depth of content in this game is incredible.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
So, the fast unlock method of resetting the game after an unlock does not seem to be working? A lot of folks are saying that method isn't working for them.

If so, that really, really sucks.
Yeah not doing it for me, hope we get the definitive trick, its such a draaag
It stopped working for me for a bit, then I played a ten minute match and now it's back to working?
It's working just fine for me, but what can sometimes happen is you get "off the track" of the typical play match, sd, right new challenger. When that happens you need to play a new vs. Match with as many controllers as you have and mash buttons.

That'll make a new challenger pop up, then you can get back to resetting the game and doing quick matches to unlock characters quick.
I'm trying to do the reset method but it seems to still take ten minutes for a characters to pop up. Am I doing this wrong or did I understand wrong?
Damn. I wonder if the 1.1 patch or whatever it was changed the unlock reset trick.

Not working for me. Gonna keep trying and see if something changes.

Still having a blast though. :)
It's nothing to do with getting off track. It still works in the new patch.
There's a minimum jump/walking distance. Run around as like Fox for a few minutes then you should be good.

MoonGirard

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Has anyone made the Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series Atlus connection joke yet?

Brichfield

Oct 25, 2017
Ok here are the steps for the unlock trick:

First of all it has nothing to do with 10 minutes but rather how many button inputs are pressed in a match. That's why connecting more controllers and mashing inputs for a match will get you a character.

So do this:

1. Connect as many controllers as you can and button mash on them for a regular 2:30 timed match.
2. Character should show up at the end.
3. Unlock character
4. Quickly close out of game on switch menu after unlock screen
5. Repeat with 1 stock matches where you sd, new characters will pop up each match.
6. Make sure you reset the game after each match.

If at any point characters stop popping up, go back to step 1 and start again from the beginning.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best mode for getting a feel for the controls? This is the first Smash Bros. I've played since the first one, and I'm completely lost.

Also, you have to unlock the fighters? Does anyone know if this is grind-y? I hope not!

Pick a character, check the help and/or tips menus for them (moves etc.) then a bit of training then regular smash against easy CPU(s), I suppose. That's what I did this morning. Seemed to work. I played a bit of 4 but I'm rusty as fuck, so I'm right there with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.