• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still bummed Mario doesn't have any Cap moves. Maybe Odyssey came too late in development for them to make it anything more than a taunt.

That FLUDD has so overstayed its welcome though, lol. Shoulda been replaced by a Luma Spin or something.

Disagree, I like that his moveset has a lot of references to a bunch of different Mario games. We already have Galaxy representation through Rosalina too.

But yeah more Cappy stuff would have been nice. But I guess it also makes sense you wouldn't want to make Mario too complicated.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My early unlocks ended up being Ness, Zelda, Bowser, Marth, Pit, Inkling. When Ness showed up first, I assumed it was a shout-out to N64, but then remembered, like, Luigi was the first unlock.

Played a few rounds of Yoshi first to start feeling out the changes. Some of his hitboxes seems a little smaller now, you can't just short-hop nairs all over the place like you could in the WiiU game. His eggs are a little wonky to control, maybe it is just a Switch Pro Controller thing. I also find myself over over-jumping constantly, like Yoshi weighs less or springs upward quicker or something. It is still infinitely enjoyable getting those fair spikes with his nose, though.

I kept trying to do some of Ness' cheap double fair strings and kept missing, lol. The old combos are hard to shake!

Kinda liking how Donkey Kong plays in this one. Played a teensy bit of him in WiiU but enjoyed the couple of games I played with him.

Inkling doesn't do much for me at all, which sucks, since I love Splatoon. There might be a bit of a skill floor to playing this character well, with the ink-charging mechanic. Will probably play some more of her later.

(The Samus CPU is incredibly, incredibly campy and I hate her.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God damn it. I beat classic with Samus to get Dark Samus to get Cloud and the game gave me Inkling instead. Then I beat it with K. Rool to get Simon and it gave me Ice Climbers instead.

This game does not want me to unlock the characters I actually want to goddamn play as.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the game might have pity gave me pichu. He wiped the floor with me in the challenger battle but seems to be on the roster.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Bro whats the fastest way to unlock everyone? Apparently it was do like 10ish min of game time, unlock, reboot the game, do 1 stock match and repeat from reboot the game but I'm not getting that first challenger

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad we have that Challenger's Door, I'm getting destroyed by some of the newcomers

ara

Oct 26, 2017
How's the game with joy-cons, or even just a single joy-con? Wondering if I should grab another Pro controller after work just for Smash.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
God damn it. I beat classic with Samus to get Dark Samus to get Cloud and the game gave me Inkling instead. Then I beat it with K. Rool to get Simon and it gave me Ice Climbers instead.

This game does not want me to unlock the characters I actually want to goddamn play as.
You have to beat Classic twice with Samus to get Dark Samus, since the first time through with her always gives you Inkling. I got caught in that and just got Dark Samus a few minutes ago.

There's a couple more characters that have multiple characters that they unlock via Classic.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
If I buy this game in Europe with my American switch/Nintendo account, can I then use the dlc with the game? Will I just have to switch my account country?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
How's the game with joy-cons, or even just a single joy-con? Wondering if I should grab another Pro controller after work just for Smash.
It definitely takes some adjustment. I would recommend turning the stick sensitivity to "High". For me it was having real trouble picking up my dash inputs.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Can someone point me to a link or video of how to unlock characters fast? I'm sure its already been talked about but the videos I've seen I followed and no challenger approaches or whatever. I haven't played much of anything so far.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I get that some people are nostalgic about unlocking characters, but the whole process kinda sucks ass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You have to beat Classic twice with Samus to get Dark Samus, since the first time through with her always gives you Inkling. I got caught in that and just got Dark Samus a few minutes ago.

There's a couple more characters that have multiple characters that they unlock via Classic.

Yeah, I beat it with her twice and got Wii Fit Trainer the second time. It's really starting to piss me off.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone point me to a link or video of how to unlock characters fast? I'm sure its already been talked about but the videos I've seen I followed and no challenger approaches or whatever. I haven't played much of anything so far.

What I'm doing:

1. Did Classic Mode once, got a character unlock.
2. After the character unlock, change language in the game options.
3. Do a one stock Smash with a character other than the one I used last and jump off.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.

Been working every time.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that the euphoria's starting to wear off... I think it should be obvious why Joker had to be the Atlus pick

q9spGnr.png

The level of hype and excitement he generated should speak for itself. Even non-fans were dazzled by the trailer

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would like unlocking characters more but it's a bit annoying. Would be cool if they let you pick any 10 to start with then unlock the rest or something.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any reason to do Spirits Mode on hard? Or should I stop kinda struggling and lower the difficulty?

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Played an hour or so with Yoshi online. Not sure how I feel about this iteration of Yoshi, but liking the game changes overall. It still feels too hard to maintain a ground game or secure kills with Yoshi. He got a few buffs but some random nerfs on hitboxes of core moves and his grab feels awful.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Are there seriously hardly anybody doing 1v1s in Quick Play? I don't have any interest in playing laggy FFAs and picked 1v1s in Preferred Rules but keep getting FFAs.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocking characters is punishingly difficult. It takes forever to get them to appear using the vs methods described on past pages. Then when you do get them they get really tough the more you unlock and it just gets frustratingly difficult. On top of that if you lose then you might not get that character again the next time challenger appears even further making the whole thing messy.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
The limitations for online play is really unfortunate. You can't play with a friend who isn't local against others? On WiiU you could at least play against CPUs!

And this unlock system is so aggravating.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if you can play against CPU online with a friend but I don't think it's possible. Really unfortunate.

eltercero

Feb 3, 2018
Madrid
Sorry if this has been already answered. In VS. mode, is there a way to make a character selection permanent? I have to pick my character/color every time a new fight start (even without choosing stage, since I use the random stage option) and it's kind of annoying.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
It seems pretty fast to unlock characters just by playing online and cycling to 1 stock suicide CPU matches every now and then. I've played an hour of online and unlocked 7 or 8 people already. Definitely faster than one character every 10mins. Didn't need to reset the system or change language or anything; just played multiple matches in a row till no more new challengers popped up.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be staring out of the window all day long waiting for UPS tomorrow. Haven't been this excited for a game in years.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play through classic mode three times then do 1v1 unlock restart and do another 1v1. Keep re doing the last part

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Played World of Light for about 2 1/2 hours on easy. So far there's only been two battles to give me much issue. The first was the Rayman spirit one until I started to kill the assist trophy first and found a nice strat with Kirby in Stamina battles. The second was the constant fire breathing Charizard fight. The character with the best range attack I had was Fox so this fight would have sucked more if I didn't get lucky and got the stage to kill him on my second attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.