• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
All Star Mode is actually alright in this game, although I wish it wasn't endless and you could actually beat it.

The order is like in Smsah 3DS, where you fight in chronological order. Echoes are where they should be (Dark Samus isn't fought with the 80s characters). I haven't gotten to the 2000s, yet, so I don't know if Miis are included.

Any tips on these challenges?
Against 4 Level 9 CPUs, KO 3 with a meteor smash within 3 mins
As Robin KO a Level 9 CPU with Flurry Attack (I assume this is jab?) within 3 mins
I thought this was a jab, but I killed a level 9 last night with a jab and it didn't unlock?

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Been making my way through World of Light, but having a ton of trouble with Pauline, Dr Wily, and the fight against multiple Wii Fit Trainers. Using Marth with a maxed out Sigma/Metal Gear Ray/Boss spirits depending on the enemy weakness. Got almost all of the left side of the map done. Any advice?

For Wily, use a Spirit that has the Metal Killer ability. It makes that fight way easier.

For Pauline, use a Spirit that equips you with the Staff. Then use shooting weapon boosting Spirits and you'll be able to take Peach out in a few shots way across the screen.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was a jab, but I killed a level 9 last night with a jab and it didn't unlock?

Buh. Maybe you didn't do it within 3 minutes or some such?
Anyway, those 2 and the Adventure mode final boss without KO are the only three items left I need for a full completion of Spirits, Music and Mii gear out of Challenges. So I'm already feeling decently accomplished haha.

Also I'd be lying if I didn't consider breaking the Robin challenge, because I can't play Robin at all, let alone beat a Lvl 9 CPU with them.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
All Star Mode is actually alright in this game, although I wish it wasn't endless and you could actually beat it.

The order is like in Smsah 3DS, where you fight in chronological order. Echoes are where they should be (Dark Samus isn't fought with the 80s characters). I haven't gotten to the 2000s, yet, so I don't know if Miis are included.

You probably used fire-based jab. You must use wind-based jab.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You probably used fire-based jab. You must use wind-based jab.

Robin has different jab types?!

Breaking that one with a hammer then, fuck that noise. I can't play Robin for shit.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK so I must have gotten something wrong, because that meteor smash challenge was NOT the one I was looking for.
Which challenge rewards the Sandbag spirit?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
OK so I must have gotten something wrong, because that meteor smash challenge was NOT the one I was looking for.
Which challenge rewards the Sandbag spirit?
"Donkey Kong - Against four Lv.9 CPUs, KO three opponents with a meteor smash. This must be done within three minutes, with no spirits, and without handicaps - Sandbag Spirit "

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else using non-standard control schemes? I'm trying to move on from the GC controller to the Pro controller. Right now my changes are:

R - Jump
Up - Jump turned off
B - Jump
X - Grab
Y - Special
A - Attack

Very tricky to get used to since I've been pressing Up to Jump for decades, it just doesn't feel as good to do on the Pro controller.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess you get 7 Hammers?

I'll probably use two on the 100-some and 200-some Quick Match Challenges. None of the other online ones seem too grimdy.

The last five maybe for those weird CPU 9 Challenges.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For challenges can you just set the launch ratio to high? I haven't started intentionally goin for them yet but I will probably try this first haha

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For challenges can you just set the launch ratio to high? I haven't started intentionally goin for them yet but I will probably try this first haha
Yeah the only things they outright say is no Spirits or Handicap.

Like I assume for the high damage one you can decrease launch rate. Honestly you might even be able to do it in Special Smash with Metal on.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree Mario could serve to be changed a lot. Especially those voice clips ugh.

Samus too, though I admit she does feel a ton better in Ultimate. Midair charging makes a big differencd

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I missed Luigi in Adventure Mode

I think the only fighter I'm still missing there now is Bayonetta? I believe I just managed to clear out the first two boards

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Samus is the only one of the original twelve I feel needs a more aggressive overhaul, at least on the level of Link got in Ultimate. She's never really felt like Samus should.

The others?

Mario really should be the everyman.
Donkey Kong--I rather like him as the close range bruiser, even if he's not terribly true to source.
Yoshi's whatever.
Kirby is plenty accurate.
Fox, Captain Falcon, and Jigglypuff are more defined by their Smash incarnations than their sources, really.
Pikachu is about as good as any other Pokemon in this department.
Luigi's done a lot in these past games to differentiate himself to the point that he really feels like Luigi.
Ness is just about as accurate as Lucas is, so no complaints there really.

With Link getting a makeover in Ultimate I think it's really just Samus that stands out.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they should give Samus something from her most recent outing, the first one people liked in a while

make her down-B a counter

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Jokes aside her melee counter animation from Samus Returns would be a perfect Up-Smash.

kalOPII.jpg

Just too bad her look wasn't updated to the Samus Returns suit.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Honestly now that we have a game with Samus using melee attacks, she's more accurate than ever![/s]

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Turn Samus into a hyper complicated character who uses a monado arts style wheel to change her beam from power to wave, ice, plasma, dark and light thus altering the properties of all her cannon related moves.
And if you manage to run uninterrupted across half of Palutena's temple you erupt into a speedboost and sprint out of the blast zone

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish Mario would be changed. He no longer works as a basic, easy-to-learn character ever since they gave him fludd, and even cape to some degree.

He could have hat throw as a side special that works as a boomerang. And bring back tornado, maybe based on Galaxy, as a down special. I think that would both modernize him and make him into a simpler character.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not familiar with Yoshi or Lucas but outside of that where's the lie?

I feel like Lucas is in a permanent state of being overlooked in all smash games, kid still hits hard, I've noticed PK Freeze is now deadly at higher percents (edgeguarding with it specifically)

First time I busted out Palutena online against Xtortion after having last played her on Smash 4 days earlier also against X, I was like "holy shit, where did this speed come from?!", better range on her smashes (F smash seems more likely to actually hit instead of just push backwards), sped up tilts and aerials.
Consolidating the reflector and counter together to then open up another projectile option while auto reticle is faster? she could be the goddess with the goods.

Before launch I considered K.Rool being like a less dramatic drop off version of Smash 4's Little Mac, indeed it seems more casual folk still treat Super Armor moves with a "whadda hell?! this needs a NERF".
Remember when Aether spamming Ike was a thing at Brawl's launch?

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I dunno, I feel like Samus is a pretty good representation. The only thing I'd change is the appearance of her charge beam.

- Neutral B: Charge Beam [check]
- Forward B: Missiles and Super Missiles [check]
- Down B: Morph Ball Bomb [check]
- Up B: Screw Attack [check]
- Grab: Grapple Beam [check]

I don't see how they could change her much, unless they focused on her A attacks. But even them, as far as physical attacks go, Samus is kinda of a blank slate.

Edit: there is one thing I feel is not much accurate about Samus: her final smash.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time I busted out Palutena online against Xtortion after having last played her on Smash 4 days earlier also against X, I was like "holy shit, where did this speed come from?!", better range on her smashes (F smash seems more likely to actually hit instead of just push backwards), sped up tilts and aerials.
Consolidating the reflector and counter together to then open up another projectile option while auto reticle is faster? she could be the goddess with the goods.
Yeah she's super good dude. Legit the only reason I'm not using her is I think her animations are too wimpy. I like the oomph

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any good guides to watch/read for players interested in getting into more competitive play? I usually main as Link, Simon, Ice Climbers, and K. Rool.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn listening to vex/zero talk about yoshi i'm getting mad

if the most horseshit character in ultimate is top tier... smh

he should have been cut three games ago

Status
Not open for further replies.