• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've found a minor bug regarding the Brawl Yoshi's Island stage and its music. I'm spoilering my findings so as to not take up much real estate.

I've noticed on several occasions when playing this stage, the music is set to Obstacle Course, but it skips a few seconds into the song when the match loads, and once it completes a loop, the music stops until the season changes the version of the track playing. This happens whether or not it starts with the Summer version of the track or the Winter version, but it doesn't happen every time the track plays.

After a dozen or so trials, I think I've figured out what might be going on here. I have have three tracks set to play on this stage via My Music. Obstacle Course and the 3DS/Wii U version of the Yoshi's Island theme are both set to max, while the Brawl version of that theme is set a little lower than those two. In the times I've played the stage, it has randomly selected both Obstacle Course and the Brawl Yoshi theme. Not once, however, has it ever picked the Smash 4 version of the Yoshi, at least not without me choosing that specific track on the stage select screen.

I think what's happening is that it's trying to load the Smash 4 Yoshi theme after randomly picking it, but some error occurs and it instead defaults to the Obstacle Course theme. That's probably what's causing this music hiccup.

A few notes for those who are interested in trying to replicate this or have noticed something similar:

• These are the only three tracks I have set to this stage, and I have not set them to any other stage.
  • I have not messed with the My Music settings in relation to this bug.
  • I have only substantially tested this in six-player Smash matches. It probably happens with any amount of players, but I haven't looked too closely.
I have also found a GameFAQs user asking about this bug, albeit with no replies.

Oct 27, 2017
At the opponent but I also glance at the area around my character. So a bit of both. Think of it like a 2D Zelda game, where you are fighting one enemy. You don't (or rather shouldn't) strictly look at Link, you look at the enemy and what they're doing as well as the space around Link to make sure you stay out of range of the enemy's attacks.

Young Link players, mostly patience but you should 1) Optimize your punish game so when you do get in, it matters. He also has very slow attacks up close so use that to your advantage once you find your way in 2) Be aware of what attacks of yours clashes with the boomerang 3) Be able to catch bombs and use it against him (learn z-dropping, moving around with an item and tossing it with c-stick to say, run back but throw item forward, re-catching items mid-air while doing aerials, etc)

Thanks for the tips! I always want to swap out for a character with a reflector when I face young link, but unfortunately that's no longer possible in ultimate. I gotta learn the matchup!

does anyone know what the battery icon is that randomly appears on the results screen when the characters clap their hands? it looks like a battery, and in it there is a grey outline of a person.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clawed my way up from irrelevant to Elite Smash with Mario

2 things:

-GSP is a good system because it forces both players to play better because there's something on the line (unlike in Smash 4). This is why a certain idiot constantly whines about quickplay, because they were never good because Smash 4 coddled them.

-If you want to get at least decent at the game, use Mario. He'll keep you honest, since the only way to win a match is to outplay your opponent (typically through reads)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've found a minor bug regarding the Brawl Yoshi's Island stage and its music. I'm spoilering my findings so as to not take up much real estate.

I've noticed on several occasions when playing this stage, the music is set to Obstacle Course, but it skips a few seconds into the song when the match loads, and once it completes a loop, the music stops until the season changes the version of the track playing. This happens whether or not it starts with the Summer version of the track or the Winter version, but it doesn't happen every time the track plays.

After a dozen or so trials, I think I've figured out what might be going on here. I have have three tracks set to play on this stage via My Music. Obstacle Course and the 3DS/Wii U version of the Yoshi's Island theme are both set to max, while the Brawl version of that theme is set a little lower than those two. In the times I've played the stage, it has randomly selected both Obstacle Course and the Brawl Yoshi theme. Not once, however, has it ever picked the Smash 4 version of the Yoshi, at least not without me choosing that specific track on the stage select screen.

I think what's happening is that it's trying to load the Smash 4 Yoshi theme after randomly picking it, but some error occurs and it instead defaults to the Obstacle Course theme. That's probably what's causing this music hiccup.

A few notes for those who are interested in trying to replicate this or have noticed something similar:

• These are the only three tracks I have set to this stage, and I have not set them to any other stage.
  • I have not messed with the My Music settings in relation to this bug.
  • I have only substantially tested this in six-player Smash matches. It probably happens with any amount of players, but I haven't looked too closely.
I have also found a GameFAQs user asking about this bug, albeit with no replies.
Interesting, there were people here that noticed this happening too, but had trouble recreating it consistently.
I might try it out later in 2-4 player matches with retweaked music rankings.

I wonder if similar things might happen on other stages that have the music change with the stage, like Dream Land GB and Paper Mario. Might be specific enough to YI, though, since it seems to only affect one song.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a list online of where you can acquire all the spirits in the spirit list? I'm at 1264/1302 right now and thought I'd try to complete it since I'm so close.

I couldn't find a list per se of what you're asking for, but what I did was look up which I was missing, then searched for that spirit alone. That helped me re-aquire the two I needed for summons (Freezie and another I've forgotten) that came from Adventure Mode. The rest I grinded Spirit Board and purchases.

Fighters were a big pain. Classic Mode gets you the free ones I'm sure you know, but you have to buy the alternate fighters.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has decent pics of some of the ones used for Spirit fights

Wait, where are the Mii faces in the screenshots in that Twitter thread from? I know some were shown with custom faces in the Direct, but in game I thought all the Spirit battles that use those Mii Fighter outfits just use the default Mii Fighter faces?

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find a list per se of what you're asking for, but what I did was look up which I was missing, then searched for that spirit alone. That helped me re-aquire the two I needed for summons (Freezie and another I've forgotten) that came from Adventure Mode. The rest I grinded Spirit Board and purchases.

Fighters were a big pain. Classic Mode gets you the free ones I'm sure you know, but you have to buy the alternate fighters.

Yeah, I have a list of the names, numbers, and types of the spirits I'm missing. 26 are fighter types, 4 are primaries, and 6 are supports. I've no how to find where to acquire them. I found one of them after completing a challenge, so I'm wondering how many more are hidden behind challenge panels.

Where do you buy the alternate fighters? The spirit point shops haven't shown me anything new in days, so I'm assuming you mean the vault shop that you spend gold in. How often does it refresh its selection?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of country and haven't played online in a while. I just went online for the first time in a few weeks, and my GSP has gone up from like 1.3-1.4m to 2.3-2.5m after the influx of newcomers! That is quite some inflation

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
Has there been any mentions of any updates ? Not being able to group up with a buddy to play online seems ridiculous to me. Yes I know about Arena but that's still hit or miss if you manage to get on the same team.

ALSO , why the hell is there no ranked game mode? Online gaming for the switch so far feels so bad to me coming from Xbox live.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I was messing with the item stance glitch, the one where if certain characters who got changed up idle animations will revert to their old ones, with Wolf

I compared it with his stiff Brawl one to see if it was just the old animation overlaid on the new body but now I really think at some point in development, they intended to have him use this stance and this is a left over of that. It's much nicer to look at and they even added new details. his mouth opens wider and his ears will actually waggle a bit. The ear waggle is something he doesn't have in his new idles and it's something he didn't do in Brawl's idle.

Wolf is the only one who has their crouch revert, though I don't think that's saying much. Most characters didn't really get new crouches, I think.

Wolf is also the only one who actually does his entire idle animation. Other character's I've tried just stick with the standard idle, like Mario just raises his hands up & down like he does but never does any of his proper idles. Even ones that also revert to an older stance don't do an actual idle animation (ie: Mewtwo just stands at the ready as normal). So that's weird.

Richter & Dark Samus don't revert to Simon & Samus' idles, incidentally.

Also, unrelated to the idle changes for how many games has the game added a faint black smoke effect to you when you fall after a double jump

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Where is my high level competitive match up where Wolf abuses Diddy's banana peels and Snake's grenades to lower the hurt box while standing still and crouching

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the zero stream behind the scenes I love it

zero always tells stories about how awkward people at tournaments are and now I know

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Just beaten WoL and it's last fight at hard now
Only as Kirby for all other fight and bosses except the last fight because reason and not because it was hard

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'm on team Salem. I always like a good heel, and he seems like a generally cool guy outside of those statements about Melee. His streams with Mew2King are fun.

Community is super underrating his potential too.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I have a list of the names, numbers, and types of the spirits I'm missing. 26 are fighter types, 4 are primaries, and 6 are supports. I've no how to find where to acquire them. I found one of them after completing a challenge, so I'm wondering how many more are hidden behind challenge panels.

Where do you buy the alternate fighters? The spirit point shops haven't shown me anything new in days, so I'm assuming you mean the vault shop that you spend gold in. How often does it refresh its selection?

You can check for the ones you're missing here to see if one of them is in there. I needed Mew which was stressful (put it on easy and use Celebi and Dedede).

I bought the alternate fighters as I was doing Classic Mode: buy one, do Classic for another, come back to vault shop to hopefully find another. I bought 500 and 1000 coin ones just to clear out the board to maybe have a higher chance? Seemed to work out for me. I'm not sure if it's time-based or activity-based though. I wouldn't buy any of the main fighters if you plan on beating all of Classic because you can save the coins for the alts.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
You can check for the ones you're missing here to see if one of them is in there. I needed Mew which was stressful (put it on easy and use Celebi and Dedede).

I bought the alternate fighters as I was doing Classic Mode: buy one, do Classic for another, come back to vault shop to hopefully find another. I bought 500 and 1000 coin ones just to clear out the board to maybe have a higher chance? Seemed to work out for me. I'm not sure if it's time-based or activity-based though. I wouldn't buy any of the main fighters if you plan on beating all of Classic because you can save the coins for the alts.

Thanks a lot for that. That'll fill out most or all that I'm missing.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching ESAM's top 10 characters vid ( https://youtu.be/iMq7vqzuKAY ) and I did not realize that one of the big reasons Olimar is considered good now is because the properties on his air attacks changed. The Pikmin used to count as items, which was super super punishable? Crazy.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In expeditions is it more important to pick high level spirits, or spirits with the advantage arrows? Would a level 25 with an advantage find more rewards than a level 99 without an advantage?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
In expeditions is it more important to pick high level spirits, or spirits with the advantage arrows? Would a level 25 with an advantage find more rewards than a level 99 without an advantage?
I think generally a high leveled spirit without advantage will earn more in that scenario.
Ideally you're sending high leveled spirits with advantage.

I don't think any research has been done to determine what the exact formulas, though.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ganondorf actually feels...good in this game. I thought I would never utter those words, but I just had a blast fighting with him in quick play. He seems more than viable.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think generally a high leveled spirit without advantage will earn more in that scenario.
Ideally you're sending high leveled spirits with advantage.

I don't think any research has been done to determine what the exact formulas, though.
Yeah, I use 99 with advantage most of the time. Sometimes all of them are tired though, which made me wonder what the determining factor was. Rewards aren't consistent enough to really tell the difference though, so it ultimately probably doesn't matter that much!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Can anyone link me to a YouTube video for dummies explaining what GSP is and how it works? I don't think I'll ever understand it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
chrom is still super fast and super strong and has a big sword. that will take him places... BUT as players get better that shitty recovery is going to get exploited.

then again you could say the same about captain falcon in melee and that hasn't stopped people from performing extremely well with him. chrom has some really great tools. I was surprised still to see lucina in esam's top 10 over chrom. i'm not convinced that she's better than chrom yet.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone link me to a YouTube video for dummies explaining what GSP is and how it works? I don't think I'll ever understand it.
All it is, is how many people you are (theoretically) better than.

if I have a score of 1.5 million GSP with Luigi, that means I am better than 1, 499,999 people with Luigi.

I have no idea what determines any of this and I don't think anyone does. But that's the general gist.

If I had to guess, win/loss ratio and placement in a match affect things but hell if I know if there are other factors in play. Like does free for all matter at all? Time? Stock? Does playing with items affect things more? Less?? Who knows!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.