• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
chrom is still super fast and super strong and has a big sword. that will take him places... BUT as players get better that shitty recovery is going to get exploited.

then again you could say the same about captain falcon in melee and that hasn't stopped people from performing extremely well with him. chrom has some really great tools. I was surprised still to see lucina in esam's top 10 over chrom. i'm not convinced that she's better than chrom yet.
she's still marth-lite and that's better than chrome could ever hope to be

chrome is essentially little mac with a sword and (arguably) an even worse recovery - one that doesn't even have i-frames like lucina or the horizontal capability of mac's.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Spirit Board has surprisingly been the mode that has gotten the most attention for me. There's always something to do and characters to try out.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After hearing so much bad stuff about the online, I had been kind of avoiding playing it. But I played about an hour and it was better than expected. Really really really dependent on the other player's connections, but at least the fix to the preferred matchmaking seems to have made a difference. Got all 1v1s, no FFAs or anything. Eventually found a solid Mewtwo player and sparred for 5 or 6 games. The Mewtwo/Yoshi matchup is really good for offstage shenanigans.

Was kind of surprised it starts you around 1.8 million GSP. Figured it would start you at 1 or unranked or something.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
*wins several matches in a row*
Game: Meh, I guess.... *+100 GSP*
*loses match*
Game: OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD *-1,000,000 GSP, disconnected*

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I finally spent a good amount of time online today but focused on Arenas . I think this will be my preferred method of play since everyone seems a lot more into just having fun. I was seriously addicted for hours and couldn't put the controller down as if the game just came out. Really good connections, really great Team play, good players, considerate players. It was the best online experience I've ever had in any Smash bros online setting. Today completely changed my mind about the games online in general.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is there some kind of bug with My Music and online arenas?

Every time I've played them it's just been 1 song over and over again. I played 4 matches on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and it was the Yoshi's Island (Brawl) song every single time. On Pokemon Stadium 2, it was Pokemon Main Theme (Brawl) for 3 matches.

Even if it goes by the defaults for the stage, that doesn't seem right.
I complained about this earlier in the thread. It's really dumb and I have no idea why it's like that. Only way to avoid it (seemingly) is to play with random stage selection.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im the only one that when playing the Paper Mario stage, when it changes from the land part to the pirate ship part, and the (i suppose) main music from that stage sounds, the only thing that can hear is the intro of the tiny toons when the warner bros logo fades away?

Starts in 1:08

Every time I hear that sound I start mumbling, we're tiny, we're looney... lol

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I play with a character I haven't played with much and it's gsp is only around 1 million why does it match me with 2.5+ million gsp players and not around 1 million gsp players like my character

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. SO many menus and options. Playing through WoL first, the characters I unlock in battles can't be used here? It's only giving me Mario, Kirby and Villager to choose from, but if I choose a smash battle I have about a dozen fighters unlocked. Makes no sense to me. Also the Spirit board, what's the point of that? I fought some spirits and unlocked them from the spinning wheel shooter, but can't seem to use them in battles? I have to be missing something.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. SO many menus and options. Playing through WoL first, the characters I unlock in battles can't be used here? It's only giving me Mario, Kirby and Villager to choose from, but if I choose a smash battle I have about a dozen fighters unlocked. Makes no sense to me. Also the Spirit board, what's the point of that? I fought some spirits and unlocked them from the spinning wheel shooter, but can't seem to use them in battles? I have to be missing something.
World of light is it's own thing as a big campaign, characters you unlock there will be unlocked for everything else but not vice versa. The spirit board is an additional way to fight the sprit battles, some of which can also be fought in World of Light. You should be able to equip the spirits you collect there before going into a spirit battle, if you optimize your loadout by pressing y on the spirit equip screen you should see them cycle through eventually. Just keep playing, there's a lot to Ultimate and frankly the best way to learn is by simply playing and learning as you go

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Characters unlocked in WoL can be used elsewhere, but not vice versa. Spirits unlocked on the spirit board can be used in the WoL.

Btw, if this is your first Smash, I'd strongly recommend classic mode first (Games & More -> Classic Mode), as it is much more basic than WoL.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Characters unlocked in WoL can be used elsewhere, but not vice versa. Spirits unlocked on the spirit board can be used in the WoL.

Btw, if this is your first Smash, I'd strongly recommend classic mode first (Games & More -> Classic Mode), as it is much more basic than WoL.

Thanks, I'll try that, Not my first Smash Bros, but first in a long time, so I'm not sure of all the intricacies, like how the hell do you warp back to a landing when knocked off the board, I just sink down and end in defeat.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll try that, Not my first Smash Bros, but first in a long time, so I'm not sure of all the intricacies, like how the hell do you warp back to a landing when knocked off the board, I just sink down and end in defeat.

Almost every character has a recovery move on up special (up + b), and every character also has at least one midair jump. Characters like Pit and Kirby are very easy to play as they can jump/fly multiple times and both have good recovery moves too :)

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
1464691221590.jpg

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've hit a ceiling at the moment and I'm having a hard time trying to break through, and that's defense and movement. I panic and dodge roll a lot, and this is something I noticed when I don't play my more keep away characters. It's just bad habits and I have no idea how to practice this and get better at shielding. It's really discouraging and I have no clue what to do. Having troubles with what to do in terms of getting back to the ground as well.

All the characters I play are in varying points of 2 mil on GSP, but I feel like this is what is keeping be from breaking through. :s Any tips ?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So there is this Fighter in WoL that I don't know how to get to. It's in the Zelda Map to the right in the forest. It's next to a chest but I have no clue how to get there.

Can anybody help?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Go into one of the open chests.

I had to look it up too. I don't know how they expect you to know this.
There is a hint owl that outlines it, I believe, but it's vague and still not very intuitive. I still had to look it up because I had already looped around the forest several times.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Something I'm really enjoying about spirits is how obscure they got with them. Like, I just unlocked a character from a Japanese-only Creatures, Inc. puzzle game for GBA called "Nonono Puzzle Chalien." I looked up some gameplay and it actually looks very cool, like something that would make a fun simple mobile game today - I never would have known about it without spirits. I can't even find much or any English-language discussion about it - this Wiki page seems to be one of the only sources of information on the game, along with this blog post from 2005. It's apparently a spin-off of a game called Chee-Chai Alien for Gameboy Color, which had a DSiware followup that actually did come out outside of Japan, called Spin Six.

Anyway, here's the trailer for Nonono Puzzle Chalien, it's fucking crazy.

I'm looking forward to investigating more of these deep cuts as I make my way through the Spirit Board.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I feel like I've hit a ceiling at the moment and I'm having a hard time trying to break through, and that's defense and movement. I panic and dodge roll a lot, and this is something I noticed when I don't play my more keep away characters. It's just bad habits and I have no idea how to practice this and get better at shielding. It's really discouraging and I have no clue what to do. Having troubles with what to do in terms of getting back to the ground as well.

All the characters I play are in varying points of 2 mil on GSP, but I feel like this is what is keeping be from breaking through. :s Any tips ?
I'd try to think of it as adding a new move to your reptrior instead of removing old habits. Go into matches planning to have nearly every attack be a true out-of-shield option after blocking an attack. Outright spam it until the opponent proves that they're going to consistently grab you until you stop.

You'll naturally stop panic rolling after you prove to yourself how good it is to block instead.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Salem makes Top 8 most likely gonna face Zero, MKLeo is in a Top 8 qualifier and then final Top 8 winner spot will go to either Dabuz or MVD. That winners side top 8 is looking to be stacked.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Dabuz in his youtube olimar guide talked about over the stage up-b nair being a good recovery option, and he used a ton against MVD. It is surprising how hard that is to punish.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd try to think of it as adding a new move to your reptrior instead of removing old habits. Go into matches planning to have nearly every attack be a true out-of-shield option after blocking an attack. Outright spam it until the opponent proves that they're going to consistently grab you until you stop.

You'll naturally stop panic rolling after you prove to yourself how good it is to block instead.

I just feel like I let my shield go too early and I end up getting hit still or they just grab immediately after their attack is blocked. I've kinda been forcing myself to just shield. I guess I'm having trouble with the application of when to do either, and it's screwing with my reaction times.:s

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There is a hint owl that outlines it, I believe, but it's vague and still not very intuitive. I still had to look it up because I had already looped around the forest several times.
Once I found the hint Owl that told me it seemed obvious, but that was probably only because I had spent about 25 minutes running all over trying to figure out how to get into that spot and had the forest area memorized.

Status
Not open for further replies.