• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've decided to make this roster of characters from existing franchises that I perceive to be significant enough to be added (aside from the bottom 2 rows, I'll get to that tho). I know there's a lot of 'em, and I'm fairly certain only a handful of them even have a remote chance of being added. But these are the characters that would be on my shortlist if I was in charge of the roster picks.
Empty_Roster.png

The rows sort as follows:
Unique characters with high priority
Semi-clones with high priority
Echoes with high priority
Uniques with low priority
Echoes with low priority

And the bottom 2 are basically just a wishlist of series/characters I'd like see to get represented (Napoleon is a stand-in for Hanafuda/Rainman).

First of all: I think that Dr. Mario should be its own series at this point, which is why I would prioritize the Viruses as a character so their only representation isn't a Mario variation, and also why Dr. Luigi is on the list as Echo.
Metal Sonic would be interchangable with Shadow - it's an either or. Toad would have a Captain Toad alt, Galacta Knight a Morpho Knight alt. Jody Summers I picked over Black Shadow or Blood Falcon because I think she's cool and we need more female representation - and before you go yelling at me: She is a police officer so martial arts shouldn't be foreign to her! Ana I picked because I wanted each Mother game to have a character representing it, and I took her over Ninten because I believe that Ninten is too similar to Ness visually (they are like... identical aside from the colour of their shoes lol), and Ana could be a fairly easy clone of Lucas because she heavily uses PSI - just give her a pan instead of the stick and remove the tether grab and you're good to go. Deoxys and Snivy are there are stand-ins for Gen 3 and Gen 5 Pokemon - I like the thought of each Gen having one character each.
I picked Elma over Rex/Pyra/whatever because female AND PoC representation. Also I believe the producers said they were wanting to continue Elma's adventures, so there's a good chance she'll be a recurring character in the X sub-series. And finally, WHY DOES KIRBY HAVE SO MANY GOOD CHARACTERS AHH.

The rest should be fairly straight forward.
inb4 people yelling at me for not being as much into Paper Mario to put it onto the high priority list.
Infantry would be amazing!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Infantry would be amazing!

I originally would've supported a CO from the Advance Wars part of the franchise, but during the speculation threads, someone (I think it was BGBW) brought up that having an Infantry unit, maybe utilizing various vehicles from the series in its moveset, would be a lot more representative of the entire franchise than a CO from one specific game doing generic combat moves - Sami inheriting Snake's moveset was a fairly popular suggestion back then, as well (and truth be told, I was supportive of it because I liked playing Snake in Brawl and wanted to see that unique moveset preserved).

Since then I'm fully on the Infantry train, myself, and think it'd be a much more interesting addition than Yuan Delta, Andy or whomever else.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Just beated 9.9 Classic Mode with Snake and 1 countine ticket
I NEVER got close to it in the Wii U Smash

It was never planed to be Snake, were just trying to get his Challenge of clearing 5.0 without countine
Does that mean I have to get over 5.0 or start at 5.0?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just beated 9.9 Classic Mode with Snake and 1 countine ticket
I NEVER got close to it in the Wii U Smash

It was never planed to be Snake, were just trying to get his Challenge of clearing 5.0 without countine
Does that mean I have to get over 5.0 or start at 5.0?

You have to finish at 5.0 or higher without using a continue. You can start lower.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good to know

So LOL that I would get 9.9 with Snake and not with a heavy fighter like King Dedede
First time I beat "Hard mode" by accident

Since Classic modes are so vastly different from character to character, some runs are a LOT easier than others.
I found Captain Falcon to be surprisingly easy, while for instance Dr. Mario is ridiculously hard.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Clouds limit break takes a lot longer to charge up then Samus energy ball but it's attacks seem equal to or weaker than Samus energy ball

Is this correct? If it is that doesn't seem right
The moves are totally different. Cloud gets a massively improved recovery, as well as buffed attributes. Also limit charges passively, which is a huge upside.

But more importantly, not every move is balanced against every other move. Every character has moves that are inherently better than other characters moves, because balance is on a by character basis, not a by move basis.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I can't even comprehend how the developing process must have been like to ensure that the game stays balanced. Like, how do you exactly approach this step by step? Do you have test fights with every single character against each fighter and tweak then some elements via trial and error until it fits? Must be some Sakurai genius at work.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know where to get the Hakkun Spirit?
latest

I'm only missing one Spirit (besides getting Dracula and Marx again, but I'm working on them), and it's one that needs to be summoned with Hakkun, but I haven't been able to find a duplicate Hakkun yet (I don't want to get rid of the only copy I have of any Spirit, even though I know it's easy to get them back). I can't remember where I got Hakkun before. Anyone know if it might be in World of Light, and if so where? And if not, does it appear in any shop or on the Spirit Board?
Still need Hakkun's Spirit, anyone know where I should be looking for it?

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I seriously can not understand him saying Smash doesn't do anything with these characters. The sheer detail in animations and environments should show how much care they put into respecting all the characters and their history.

I agree that Spirits should have some kind of description though.

I'm not blaming him for hating the game as I imagine it'd be like trying to get me to review the latest Madden but his entire rant at the end there just seems like him whining about Smash being more popular then the games he likes.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
It will show up on spirit board and will almost certainly show back up within a few cycles after you've spent it since the game has bias towards spirits you dont have in stock.
I know, but like I said I don't want to get rid of the first copy I obtained. I guess I'm just weirdly sentimental about certain stuff in games like that and since Spirits can be ordered by the date you obtained them, I don't want to get rid of the first copy of any Spirit I obtained. =P So basically I just have to hope it appears on the Spirit Board? It doesn't appear in any of the shops or in World of Light?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but like I said I don't want to get rid of the first copy I obtained. I guess I'm just weirdly sentimental about certain stuff in games like that and since Spirits can be ordered by the date you obtained them, I don't want to get rid of the first copy of any Spirit I obtained. =P So basically I just have to hope it appears on the Spirit Board? It doesn't appear in any of the shops or in World of Light?
I don't think it can show up in the wol shops, it should appear in the normal shop, but those are also slightly biased to ones you dont have so it will take a while
It might be somewhere in world of light but i have no idea where

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Chrom would be exactly my type of character, but I'm turned off of maining him because of the bandwagon. Does this happen to anyone else lol?

MisterDodo

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I feel like Chrom would be exactly my type of character, but I'm turned off of maining him because of the bandwagon. Does this happen to anyone else lol?
That's the case for me and any sword character. They're so nice to play, but with so many people playing them, it ends up looking uninspired. By this point, I just play whoever I want regardless of current bandwagons. As long as they're fun, I don't mind.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm missing two spirits (not counting the Pokémon let's go ones) from my spirit collection.

Just to be clear, I'm trying to have one copy of every spirit, my collection page is at 1300/1302, while the number showing on my spirit board is 1298. So I'm missing two from somewhere. I assume they're two that went somewhere when I used the autofill option for cores for summoning, when I suppose I should have been more careful.

But I honestly can't find out which two they could be. I've checked:
-I have a copy of all the summonable spirits (plus all spirits used to summon)
-As far as I can tell from lists on Google, I have a copy of each of the WOL shop spirits that are for sale (been checking anyway...). Plus have a 100% wol save.
-After using 40 of each board shuffle type they've not shown up on the spirit board.
-I think I have every evolving spirit before before and after evolution.
-Nothing has shown up in the shops either.
-I've got one of each of the spirit rewards from the challenge boards.

I suppose I could go through all of them alphabetically to try and work out who is missing, but that's... Tedious to say the least.

Anyone think of any other places I might have missed checking?

(I hope they're not something like wol exclusive spirits )

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm missing two spirits (not counting the Pokémon let's go ones) from my spirit collection.

Just to be clear, I'm trying to have one copy of every spirit, my collection page is at 1300/1302, while the number showing on my spirit board is 1298. So I'm missing two from somewhere. I assume they're two that went somewhere when I used the autofill option for cores for summoning, when I suppose I should have been more careful.

But I honestly can't find out which two they could be. I've checked:
-I have a copy of all the summonable spirits (plus all spirits used to summon)
-As far as I can tell from lists on Google, I have a copy of each of the WOL shop spirits that are for sale (been checking anyway...). Plus have a 100% wol save.
-After using 40 of each board shuffle type they've not shown up on the spirit board.
-I think I have every evolving spirit before before and after evolution.
-Nothing has shown up in the shops either.
-I've got one of each of the spirit rewards from the challenge boards.

I suppose I could go through all of them alphabetically to try and work out who is missing, but that's... Tedious to say the least.

Anyone think of any other places I might have missed checking?

(I hope they're not something like wol exclusive spirits )
Are you 100% sure you have Marx (on his ball) and Dracula (human)

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
220 Hours logged in so far. Not just me though, my 3 and 6 year old often play when I'm not there but gadzooks I'm hooked!

Ridley boy... I often catch myself thinking, "wow I'm really playing as Ridley aren't I?" Couple that with those early weekend mornings where the wife and both kids are sleeping which leaves me with a perfect connection and no distractions and holy smokes I am in heaven!

I love how quick people are to dismiss certain characters. Think Chrom before release when everyone saw his recovery lol. Chrom is a beast and I kind of like it that he's over used. I enjoy that people sleep on Ridley because man I am figuring that mutha'flether out! Down Air and Up B recovery, moves that many write off as useless lol. Come play me and watch how I do it in my neighborhood!

When I'm recovering high I will Up B and aim it forward down. Holding up afterwards will cause Ridley to latch on to the edge. If someone tries to contest it they better watch out, that outer space drop kick is a doozy! Do the same move aiming away from the stage but right at the ledge and you can catch people with the same spike but it's even more unexpected! Ridley's feet pass the ledge before he grabs on so it is an awesome spike! Just takes practice.

Down Air man! Make a full jump off the edge and Down air an opponent's low recovery, before Ridley suicides use his last 2 jumps straight up plus Up B and you are back with all the benefits of that move and no landing lag!

Stages like Pokemon Stadium 1/2 and both animal crossing stages have a really high floor for the blast zone. In that case use at least 2 dull jumps before you down air off the side to catch someone, then 1 more jump plus up B to recover. The higher Ridley is the easier it is to use that move off stage and still make it back comfortably.

All 3 of my big boys can pick characters and carry them off the edge! I am loving this game! The balance really is something amazing as well! Such a huge step up from previous games!

Can I get a woah bundy?!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still need Hakkun's Spirit, anyone know where I should be looking for it?

That's exactly why MondoMega and I made this list of every avenue that isn't the board:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wz6caFQU6-kxvlfob_EAdpjKWHo/edit#gid=84155629

Hakkun is a regular board spirit. Once you use it up, the likelihood of it appearing on the board again is heavily increased, as the board will prioritize spawning ones you do not own at the moment.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
After many days of testing, I've finally determined my personal character power rankings. Top 8 are who I'm going to main going forward.

1: Kirby
2: King Dedede
3: Bowser
4: Link (new main!)
5: Pac-Man
6: Duck Hunt (new main!)
7: Inkling (new main!)
8: Ike

9: Incineroar
10: Marth
11: Yoshi
12: Palutena
13: Pokemon Trainer
14: Ryu
15: Ganondorf
16: Jigglypuff
17: Rosalina
18: Mr. Game and Watch
19: Mewtwo
20: Daisy
21: Donkey Kong
22: Dark Samus
23: Lucina
24: Chrom
25: Shulk
26: Lucas
27: Cloud
28: Richter
29: Mii Brawler
30: Wolf
31: Peach
32: Sonic
33: Captain Falcon
34: Bayonetta
35: Mii Swordfighter
36: Falco
37: Ridley
38: Simon
39: Snake
40: Dr. Mario
41: Fox
42: Wario
43: Ken
44: Roy
45: Greninja
46: Olimar
47: Mii Gunner
48: Robin
49: Wii Fit Trainer
50: Dark Pit
51: Lucario
52: Pichu
53: Toon Link
54: ROB
55: Sheik
56: Isabelle
57: Bowser Jr.
58: Zero Suit Samus
59: Pikachu
60: Corrin
61: Little Mac
62: Mega Man
63: Diddy Kong
64: Zelda
65: Ice Climbres
66: Villager
67: Luigi
68: King K. Rool
69: Mario
70: Ness
71: Young Link
72: Pit
73: Samus
74: Meta Knight

Though hard viability for not making an ass of myself versus real people is probably at Pokemon Trainer.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it can show up in the wol shops, it should appear in the normal shop, but those are also slightly biased to ones you dont have so it will take a while
It might be somewhere in world of light but i have no idea where
That's exactly why MondoMega and I made this list of every avenue that isn't the board:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wz6caFQU6-kxvlfob_EAdpjKWHo/edit#gid=84155629

Hakkun is a regular board spirit. Once you use it up, the likelihood of it appearing on the board again is heavily increased, as the board will prioritize spawning ones you do not own at the moment.
Thank you! So I guess I'm just gonna have to wait until it shows up if I don't want to get rid of my original copy first... ._. lol

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I hate fighting Ganondorf. There's, like, zero skill involved; people are as subtle as sledgehammers when they play as him.
Bad Ganons are so easy to punish. He can barely jump over Wolf's lasers, so I just spam them and jump around a lot since they never seem to know how to approach without relying on down or side special (which are both stopped by Wolf's lasers)

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
220 Hours logged in so far. Not just me though, my 3 and 6 year old often play when I'm not there but gadzooks I'm hooked!

Ridley boy... I often catch myself thinking, "wow I'm really playing as Ridley aren't I?" Couple that with those early weekend mornings where the wife and both kids are sleeping which leaves me with a perfect connection and no distractions and holy smokes I am in heaven!

I love how quick people are to dismiss certain characters. Think Chrom before release when everyone saw his recovery lol. Chrom is a beast and I kind of like it that he's over used. I enjoy that people sleep on Ridley because man I am figuring that mutha'flether out! Down Air and Up B recovery, moves that many write off as useless lol. Come play me and watch how I do it in my neighborhood!

When I'm recovering high I will Up B and aim it forward down. Holding up afterwards will cause Ridley to latch on to the edge. If someone tries to contest it they better watch out, that outer space drop kick is a doozy! Do the same move aiming away from the stage but right at the ledge and you can catch people with the same spike but it's even more unexpected! Ridley's feet pass the ledge before he grabs on so it is an awesome spike! Just takes practice.

Down Air man! Make a full jump off the edge and Down air an opponent's low recovery, before Ridley suicides use his last 2 jumps straight up plus Up B and you are back with all the benefits of that move and no landing lag!

Stages like Pokemon Stadium 1/2 and both animal crossing stages have a really high floor for the blast zone. In that case use at least 2 dull jumps before you down air off the side to catch someone, then 1 more jump plus up B to recover. The higher Ridley is the easier it is to use that move off stage and still make it back comfortably.

All 3 of my big boys can pick characters and carry them off the edge! I am loving this game! The balance really is something amazing as well! Such a huge step up from previous games!

Can I get a woah bundy?!

woah bundy

thank you for the Ridley advice I am still figuring a lot of his stuff out

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Era please help me.
I am really frustrated by Cloud's cross slash.

so I have a good friend who only plays Cloud, and 80% of the time he just use cross slash (he is a really good FTG player so he is really good at spacing and observing player movement/frames)

I think Cloud is very very good character because all his attack moves are with little endlag, covers a lot of range, and very powerful disjoint attacks, not to mention limit.
upAir, dash attack, Bair are all fast and powerful, down Air can out perform a lot of character's upAir.
his Sword beam is very fast for a projectile and can spam really fast. his upAir even have hit box during landing so harder to punish
his grab is also very fast
Air dodge, if anything, help his recovery despite limit nerf.

but Cross Slash
this move is really weird, it covers a lot of vertical and horizontal range, guaranteed 20~24% damage, initial frame is very fast with pratically no endlag.
can be cancel during second slash
if the first slash didn't land, there is little punished to be expected and can instant initial second cross slash/ grab/ jab unless you use another 1 frame move to counter

I usually play Link, Ness
the following options I tried:

Shield: obvious solution but the shield deplete very fast if Cloud keep spamming, and can be grabbed if Cloud choose to only land first 2 slashes.
Drop Shield Jab: hard to land because of cross slash range
Drop Shield Grab: worst option
Out of Shield jump: Cloud can jump and throw another cross slash
Out of Shield nair: hard to land because of cross slash range
Out of Shield Fair/Nair: hard to land if Cloud doesn't jump and the range inbetween
Out of Shield upB: in this scenario Link's upB is very dangerous due to the range of cross slash, Ness is... umm no use
Roll to Cloud: only to be landed with another turn around cross slash
Roll to back: proabably a safer option untill at the edge of the stage
Spot dodge: only to be landed with another cross slash
Out of Shield Jump Air dodge: only to be landed with another turn around cross slash
Parry: by parring the last hit of the Cross Slash may have a small adventage but the range is too far, and even pro players don't successfully parry this move all the time

I can't think of any other better options
I can only win his Cloud by..... playing Cloud or Lucina/Chrom... :p

my GSP is only 2.8m ~ 3m, and he is in Elite Smash already

I rarely see pro Smash players spam this move so there must be something I don't understand.
I really want to learn the effective solution to this move.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Battle arena is the only way I can play with a friend, right? Is there anyway to make this mode less cumbersome? It's usually just me and my friend and having to exit out of the arena (especially when there's no one else there) to switch characters is super annoying and cumbersome compared to the Wii U version.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I hate fighting Ganondorf. There's, like, zero skill involved; people are as subtle as sledgehammers when they play as him.
Ganondorf and K. Rool are definitely the easy mode characters in this game. They're not the best but they have a bunch of bullshit that gives them easy kills. Ganondorf kills insanely early on Smash attacks. I can't think of anyone who kills so early

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Shield: obvious solution but the shield deplete very fast if Cloud keep spamming, and can be grabbed if Cloud choose to only land first 2 slashes.
Shield then nair or whatever your character's fastest OOS option is. He can't just partially Cross Slash then grab you guaranteed.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally went into Elite Smash with Bowser. I just love him. He is amazing when having Rage. I could turn around so many matches, where i fucked up. Best was a 2 Stock disadvantage, because of unfortunate SDs and i still won (and was so relieved, that i forget to save the replay). Overall i love how fast matches can run in Ultimate, if you do everything right. An Isabelle dragged me off-stage at low percent, while she was at zero, and in return i killed her at 40% with a clean Forward Smash.
Next up are Zelda and Samus.

I also would love to play with Kirby ... But he just sucks. His combo game really good worse in Ultimate, he has no range and it is suprisingly hard to seal the deal with him. You are always stocked wondering, how to approach your opponents.
Bowser Jr. for example is a hard matchup, since he has so many disjointed attacks and can move around quickly.
Inhale is such a bad move on top. Eating particels takes too long to be useful, reflecting them takes too long (and the star has no range and moves slow), as a command grab it doesn't do enough damage and you can lose a copy ability randomly after each hit.
Stone and Hammer Flip are also useless. Both are too high commitment and risky moves for a light character. You almost never use them, because of that and they also have no range. The same goes for Final Cutter.
I have no idea, what your game plan is with Kirby ... I didn't play all characters yet, but he is probably the worst fighter in the game so far for me.
After many days of testing, I've finally determined my personal character power rankings. Top 8 are who I'm going to main going forward.

1: Kirby

Though hard viability for not making an ass of myself versus real people is probably at Pokemon Trainer.
Please explain to me, what you see in Kirby.

You have to always respect Ganondorf, no matter who is playing him. Especially new or novice player will act weird (sincr they don't know, what they are doing yet), which may suprise you and you don't want to be suprised by Ganondorf (he makes the worst parties).

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
yes but the Nair range is not enough to punish Cloud

Obviously depends on the distance, but if he's going for a grab, it's reactable and he'll obviously be up close. If he's max distance, then just jump away or roll away. If he's close up, then use your fastest move OOS. Parrying is also the best option if he's up close and is pretty easy to time.

It feels like you're looking for one solution to shut down Cross Slash. You should be reacting based on his spacing and if he goes for a mixup (say, he reads the roll and grabs you after), remember it and change up your defensive actions accordingly. You're probably just being too predictable, it's not like he can cover every single defensive option you do all at once. The mixups that Cloud get from Cross Slash are also pretty much all "fake". You're respecting it too much. Press more buttons, jump air dodge away, etc.

Last edited:

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Battle arena is the only way I can play with a friend, right? Is there anyway to make this mode less cumbersome? It's usually just me and my friend and having to exit out of the arena (especially when there's no one else there) to switch characters is super annoying and cumbersome compared to the Wii U version.
You can switch character with panel lower right side of the screen.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Obviously depends on the distance, but if he's going for a grab, it's reactable and he'll obviously be up close. If he's max distance, then just jump away or roll away. If he's close up, then use your fastest move OOS. Parrying is also the best option if he's up close and is pretty easy to time.

It feels like you're looking for one solution to shut down Cross Slash. You should be reacting based on his spacing and if he goes for a mixup (say, he reads the roll and grabs you after), remember it and change up your defensive actions accordingly. You're probably just being too predictable, it's not like he can cover every single defensive option you do all at once. The mixups that Cloud get from Cross Slash are also pretty much all "fake". You're respecting it too much. Press more buttons, jump air dodge away, etc.

thanks, I'll try harder next time if my playstyle start become predictable, sometimes I just can't tell if I am or not,
especially when I thought I mix things up a lot already,
you are right maybe I am still predictable

my friend is really good at spacing, always land the longest reach for cross slash, so it is really frustrating.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over how good Ultimate's soundtrack is. The last few weeks I've been discovering the joys of Castlevania's songs; it makes me wish there were more stages and characters from that series. Same for Megaman... and even Sonic, too.

Smush is a game that's literally too good.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is it just me, or does it feel like the only reason we got a Detective Pikachu spirit is because of The Pokémon Company wanting to promote the upcoming movie (especially considering the lack of any other spin-off tracks/spirits/stages/etc. for Pokémon)?