• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is it just me, or does it feel like the only reason we got a Detective Pikachu spirit is because of The Pokémon Company wanting to promote the upcoming movie (especially considering the lack of any other spin-off tracks/spirits/stages/etc. for Pokémon)?
Probably

It's too bad we didn't get a few Pokken spirits.

Shadow Mewtwo and Pikachu Libre's fighter spirit would have been nice Pokken additions

A couple Pokken music rips would have been cool too.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Meanwhile, over here in objectively wrong opinions land, I'm a little bummed out about Wolf. I loved him in Brawl/PM but something about him in Ultimate just isn't clicking.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
My issues with Wolf have nothing to do with his moveset and everything to do with little cosmetic stuff that bothers me

- His down taunt's voice line is silly
- I miss when he kicked for his side taunt instead of doing a generic gesture a bunch of characters do
- He needs a unique victory song
- Getting rid of his cross armed laugh victory animation for a dead silent generic flex was bad
- His victory animation voice lines are strangely low volume
- His forward smash has a weird animation that is out of tone with his other moves. It's the only non-special he has where he doesn't use his claws or feet, the forward palm thing is odd. Seems like it would have been easy to have it be the same move, but he just stabs with his claws
- His shoulder spike is ridiculous and impractical and looks bulky on his body
- His second alt should be his default (the red SF Zero color)
- His blue alt should be colored more like Brawl's colors (purple gloves, for example)
- His fur on his "dark" alt should change like in Brawl
- His Fox specific lines are not in sound test
- He doesn't have a reflector on his body and just pulls it out of nowhere. Either should have added it on his body, or have him pull it from inside his jacket
- His crouch animation was janky in Brawl, but they should have based his new one off of it, instead of making a Fox crouch knock off, and let him crawl like it seems was intended in Brawl based on his crouch animation
- He feels less "feral" than in Brawl, and I think it's his bland idle animation and stance.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's so hard trying to get to Elite Smash with Little Mac. I've got over 3mil a few times but I can tell when I'm playing people just below Elite Smash cause they all play the same. They all spam projectiles and aerials everywhere.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's so hard trying to get to Elite Smash with Little Mac. I've got over 3mil a few times but I can tell when I'm playing people just below Elite Smash cause they all play the same. They all spam projectiles and aerials everywhere.
Mac is like the most difficult character in the game to get into Elite with.

He's a low tier character with a very exploitable weakness that's bad on the #1 most used stage (Battlefield) with some cripplingly awful matchups against some characters.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
Any tips on dealing with dodge-roll spammers? I end up getting punished for pressing buttons in the opposite direction the opponent is facing.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
So regarding GSP: once i reach elite smash with one character will it be unlocked for all characters or only for that one specific character?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
My little brother asked me why they didn't have trophies any more and I said cause they wanted to spend the development time/resources on getting the millions of characters and stages in I guess which is 'more important' and he said why didn't they just put the ones in from the other games at least?

I didn't have a reply lol, they probably should have. The work is mostly already done, even if they had to cut the cool 'text info' bits on them so they didn't have to translate it all (which would be a shame, just better than nothing at all IMO). Would give us something else fun to collect, probably the only part of Ultimate that feels missing.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
So regarding GSP: once i reach elite smash with one character will it be unlocked for all characters or only for that one specific character?
It unlocks per character.

The higher your GSP is with one character is though, it will be higher for everyone else. So once you unlock it for one, it happens much faster with everyone else.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
My little brother asked me why they didn't have trophies any more and I said cause they wanted to spend the development time/resources on getting the millions of characters and stages in I guess which is 'more important' and he said why didn't they just put the ones in from the other games at least?

I didn't have a reply lol, they probably should have. The work is mostly already done, even if they had to cut the cool 'text info' bits on them so they didn't have to translate it all (which would be a shame, just better than nothing at all IMO). Would give us something else fun to collect, probably the only part of Ultimate that feels missing.
Someone a long time ago on either Era or Reddit mentioned that the new rendering engine may have made it very challenging to rip trophy models.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Generally speaking they don't seem to want to repeat trophies. I think even some of the similar trophies between games still use different poses/models and text. So I don't think they were ever going to just bring over all the trophies. And presumably they didn't just want the game to feel like Smash Wii U DX so I'm guessing they'd probably want its own set of trophies for that reason too. Especially for the game where they touched up the graphics and such on like...everything that returned.

And beyond that, the game doesn't even have a homerun contest, probably the simplest of the secondary modes. I do not think development time was so free to devote to bringing back Wii U's trophies much less on the miscellaneous stuff that's require (trophy viewer, a mini game for trophies, the posing mode and whatever other junk)

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
has anyone else had the misfortune of playing Smash with separated Joy-Cons

I hung out with a friend last night but didn't bring my controllers, expecting him to provide them (he's a local That Guy), but he doesn't have a Pro Controller and his GCN adapter was elsewhere, so we played through Smashdown using split Joy-Cons (sans shell)

I am amazed how horrible it was for an official first-party standard. Virtually unplayable for both of us, holy hell. every third input or so just completely dropped

I expect this to be fixed at some point soonish. No way Sakurai isn't aware

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
In that case, HW content likely requires Koei Tecmo's approval. Pokkén content shouldn't have any issues with getting content in Smash since it's Bamco & TPCi.
Depending on the composers and teams involved it's probably just enough it might be obnoxious they don't bother. Or TPC(i) continuies to be weird about spinoffs, even the ones where all the stars should align for it (Pokken is one of their tournament babies so its a spin off that they always want to keep going).

Frankly we're lucky we had the Detective Pikachu spirit, honestly.

I hung out with a friend last night but didn't bring my controllers, expecting him to provide them (he's a local That Guy), but he doesn't have a Pro Controller and his GCN adapter was elsewhere, so we played through Smashdown using split Joy-Cons (sans shell)

I am amazed how horrible it was for an official first-party standard. Virtually unplayable for both of us, holy hell. every third input or so just completely dropped

I don't think it will be fixed, though. They could have done it during development, for example, where they already had to go through every song for bringing it forward. It's probably super low priority, especially since it affects so few song relative to the rest of the sound track, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have to renegotiate them for some inane reason.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Yup, it wasn't fun.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Finally went into Elite Smash with Bowser. I just love him. He is amazing when having Rage. I could turn around so many matches, where i fucked up. Best was a 2 Stock disadvantage, because of unfortunate SDs and i still won (and was so relieved, that i forget to save the replay). Overall i love how fast matches can run in Ultimate, if you do everything right. An Isabelle dragged me off-stage at low percent, while she was at zero, and in return i killed her at 40% with a clean Forward Smash.
Next up are Zelda and Samus.

I also would love to play with Kirby ... But he just sucks. His combo game really good worse in Ultimate, he has no range and it is suprisingly hard to seal the deal with him. You are always stocked wondering, how to approach your opponents.
Bowser Jr. for example is a hard matchup, since he has so many disjointed attacks and can move around quickly.
Inhale is such a bad move on top. Eating particels takes too long to be useful, reflecting them takes too long (and the star has no range and moves slow), as a command grab it doesn't do enough damage and you can lose a copy ability randomly after each hit.
Stone and Hammer Flip are also useless. Both are too high commitment and risky moves for a light character. You almost never use them, because of that and they also have no range. The same goes for Final Cutter.
I have no idea, what your game plan is with Kirby ... I didn't play all characters yet, but he is probably the worst fighter in the game so far for me.

Please explain to me, what you see in Kirby.

You have to always respect Ganondorf, no matter who is playing him. Especially new or novice player will act weird (sincr they don't know, what they are doing yet), which may suprise you and you don't want to be suprised by Ganondorf (he makes the worst parties).

Kirby's been my number one main going allll the way back, even through the dark Melee days. He's still my top right now through sheer familiarity. if you want a character where you know what to do, or at least what to try, in any given situation, it's Kirby.

And he has good options. Side Smash comes out quickly and has decent range and kill power. Other smashes are also fast and useful. Dash attack has good range and is kind of disruptive. Hammer is useful for keeping people at a distance (although I grant I'm bad at this. I feel like with every character there's one special move that I simply forget about and with Kirby it's Hammer). Neutral B can help edgeguard and depending on the matchup you can ape some useful moves. Stone is good if you know what to do with it and don't fall into obvious traps and also makes people less likely to try to juggle you. Final Cutter is a good disruptor if you just want to upset somebody.

Edit: Kirby's other thing is that he's better in free-for-all. Some are better suited 1v1, some are better for FFA and Kirby is one of those. In my experiments it was interesting which ones prospered in which mode, like Duck Hunt and Pac-Man being great for me 1v1 and falling apart in a crowd.

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Idk if opinions have chanegd since I last posted, but ya'll insisting that Ridley is bad are trippin. I'm fairly consistently seeing good tourney showings by Ridley players. Just came across a video of Trela's Ridley in a finals match (didnt finish the set yet to see who won though)

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Amazon canceled my controller adapter order that's been chillin' for 30+ days. It had always said "to deliver by Jan 25"

Nice

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
A tier list based on tournament placements over the first month

3PJIVUN.png

The main issue with this type of list is that never played characters like Doc, Lucario, Mii Gunner, etc end up at the very bottom even if they might not necessarily be there in power.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue with this type of list is that never played characters like Doc, Lucario, Mii Gunner, etc end up at the very bottom even if they might not necessarily be there in power.
Yeah, I can't see Mewtwo seriously belonging in anything close to the bottom a real list. Same with Toon Link.

Also lol at the difference between Marth and Lucina.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how I get a shovel knight spirit? I see it's needed to summon a legendary but I don't know that I've ever seen one.

Also I have 100% completion in WoL but am missing the remove all obstacles in the light realm challenge. Any guesses as to what I might be missing?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to the end of WoL (was playing in hard mode) and...

when I finally got to the end (did not know there were mutiple endings I did all the fights and the last one was right on the middle path against what I guess is Lucas' mom so I just took the middle road) and as soon as it loaded and Master hand was there I just started laughing and saying wow everyone is here! I have to wonder is the Melee glitch that made Master hand playable had anything to do with having him show up in the end. Such a fun set of bosses.

Also does anyone remember any talk when the data mine happened of people saying the end of the game hinted at DLC characters? I avoided that stuff but I could have sworn I saw that but saw nothing like it in the end.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what move is going to come after this Ganondorf side B. COULD IT BE A DOWN TILT???

Currently trying to win a single online quickplay match with every character. Yeah I think I'll save Mii Brawler for last.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Smash training mode was similar to traditional fighting games.

I'm trying to practice dealing with Mario's dash attack (which is safe on block) where he then goes into his three hit neutral A. I tested throw and jab with Palutena during the match and neither are fast enough out of shield to punish Mario's dash attack. I'm thinking about using hop nair but since training mode doesn't let you record and replay I can't test it...

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a Piranha Plant download code now, but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to redeem it.

Do I redeem it now and then Piranha Plant just automatically downloads on release?

Or do I wait until release and redeem it then? Just don't want to miss out on anything.
A tier list based on tournament placements over the first month

3PJIVUN.png

I understand this is early and flawed based on its metrics but I will be very surprised if Pikachu ends up that low lol

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with any tips on how to generally avoid or deal with Bayonetta's links and air juggles. Half of this was basically getting combo'd to the point I was hesitant to even go in the air.

She's different to the likes of Falcon and Wario but even then I don't have as much trouble dealing with them as I do her (Barring if I accidentally SD or something like that) or other generally aggressive characters (Sonic being the current exception).

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list yet of what each challenge pannel unlocks? Want to spend my hammers wisely.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Piranha Plant will be silent or will it make the silly BWOOP EHH moaning sounds that they make in some Mario games?
Maybe for one of its ko sound bytes, but I could see it staying silent otherwise. e: Beyond the sound effects we know about, of course

Every time I try to think of sounds Piranha Plants make I keep thinking about Petey

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Maybe for one of its ko sound bytes, but I could see it staying silent otherwise. e: Beyond the sound effects we know about, of course

Every time I try to think of sounds Piranha Plants make I keep thinking about Petey
Petey's sound are basically just lower pitched generic Piranha Plant sounds

In the NSMB games, Piranha Plants have a really satisfying CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH sound when they bite that I hope is implemented.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Petey's sound are basically just lower pitched generic Piranha Plant sounds

In the NSMB games, Piranha Plants have a really satisfying CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH sound when they bite that I hope is implemented.

Doesn't seem like they're using this, instead opting for their own, new crunch sound effects

missed opportunity

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I'm 99.67% done with WoL after beating the true ending. That's like 1 or 2 battles missing for that Lucina challenge. Anybody got a clue where those could be? I've searched everywhere

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99.67% done with WoL after beating the true ending. That's like 1 or 2 battles missing for that Lucina challenge. Anybody got a clue where those could be? I've searched everywhere
did you get the other 2 endings

if not, it's those

if you did, check the temple of light subarea "but it's starred" check it anyway

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
if you did, check the temple of light subarea "but it's starred" check it anyway
I get why the star works the way it does with the Temple of Light, but man they really need to fix that. Almost every person in the first OT who asked for help in finding their last few spaces in WoL was missing something there.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I get why the star works the way it does with the Temple of Light, but man they really need to fix that. Almost every person in the first OT who asked for help in finding their last few spaces in WoL was missing something there.
It doesn't help that
the only mimic in the game is there and a lot of people may not have bothered to check the chest.

It's super cool, but I could see it causing issues.