• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Not sure anyone encountered this late last night, but after barely seeing any in around 400 online matches so far, I encountered not 1, not 2, but 3 different Ike's. All spamming NAir all over the place.
Isn't that funny?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
The new bane of my existence is a DeDeDe player online who spams Gordos. It's so goddamn obnoxious.

Lots of spammers online, unfortunately.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, Gordo is probably the most punishable projectile. Used well they'll decimate you, but spammers should be easy to get around.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, in terms of the Smash community needing to ban assholes, StaticManny needs to be thrown out as soon as possible.

Context: During Smash Conference, Mew2King expressed on that he felt that StaticManny's screams which were loud, obnoxious, and sole directed at him to distract him, cost him his game 5. In response, StaticManny's retweeted a friend's tweet laughing at him and saying with pride that they made people cry with how loud he got and Mew2King should be grateful that they weren't loud enough to do that.

Nah, fuck that shit. Assholes have no business being in this setting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/adirxx/some_context_to_the_whole_m2k_cheering_thing/

I don't know man it doesn't seem as bad as it's made it out to be.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OKoTWwY.png

Super Mario World's Pumpkin Plant should totally be an alt for Piranha Plant. Add it to the costume DLC!

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide anywhere that has a lot of technical information like what happens when Incinaroar counters something, what pac-mans items do, peachs different turnips etc.?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Apparently some of my friends were much, much louder at heckling in other sets and made someone cry, as evidenced by this tweet by one of them.

So funny to me how m2k complained about a very tame cfl crowd when not even 24hrs earlier we had someone in pools legitimately cry cause of how loud we got. Trust when I say m2k did not get 1/10 of what we normally dish out noise wise.

I'm honestly not sure how to approach this with them when I go to the weekly tomorrow, if I should at all. I already made my grievances known in the Twitter thread but it may fall on deaf ears. We have lots of good people in CFL, and a lot of hype to go along with it, but sometimes some of these guys just take things too far. I've learned to roll with it during my time here but not everyone can be accustomed to being treated like that, and these guys should recognize that.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Jigglypuff vs Incineroar is a fascinating contest of
- character who can die fast due to lightness in the face of overwhelming power
- character who can die fast due to poor recovery in the face of overwhelming aerial mobility

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently some of my friends were much, much louder at heckling in other sets and made someone cry, as evidenced by this tweet by one of them.

So funny to me how m2k complained about a very tame cfl crowd when not even 24hrs earlier we had someone in pools legitimately cry cause of how loud we got. Trust when I say m2k did not get 1/10 of what we normally dish out noise wise.

I'm honestly not sure how to approach this with them when I go to the weekly tomorrow, if I should at all. I already made my grievances known in the Twitter thread but it may fall on deaf ears. We have lots of good people in CFL, and a lot of hype to go along with it, but sometimes some of these guys just take things too far. I've learned to roll with it during my time here but not everyone can be accustomed to being treated like that, and these guys should recognize that.

Like what were they yelling to make that person cry. Was it just because they were loud and rooting for there boy or were they saying shit to the person to make them cry?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Like what were they yelling to make that person cry. Was it just because they were loud and rooting for there boy or were they saying shit to the person to make them cry?
I don't really know since I didn't go, but they can get really intense sometimes. Even during weeklies we sometimes get noise complaints when the businesses next door are closed. I feel bad for our TO who has to constantly tell everyone to quiet down. She's the greatest.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
So, at long last I completed every character's Classic Mode, which means I can now say officially: I am completely, utterly incapable of beating Master Hand and Crazy Hand at 9.0+ intensity without dying. I didn't manage it a single time.

Am I missing something obvious to make the fight easier? Is it just really hard? Do I just suck?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I finally had another item match turn up online, I got an AT of Goroh at the start, he damn near took two stocks alone.
I got beetle'd at 40%
A superstar spawned on my head and a togepi granted me a perfectly timed grounding for a front smash kill.

Items are DUMB in this one

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know since I didn't go, but they can get really intense sometimes. Even during weeklies we sometimes get noise complaints when the businesses next door are closed. I feel bad for our TO who has to constantly tell everyone to quiet down. She's the greatest.
Honestly if it's just them being loud then I really really can't fault them for the guy cry to be honest. If they was like actually heckling him then maybe but if they was just getting loud every time there guys did something then I have no problems with that.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Honestly if it's just them being loud then I really really can't fault them for the guy cry to be honest. If they was like actually heckling him then maybe but if they was just getting loud every time there guys did something then I have no problems with that.
The thing is, not everyone is the same. Honestly, if I didn't already build a tolerance to this sort of thing it would probably affect me, too.

Cheering and whatnot is already supposed to be regulated in tournaments; it's part of the actual ruleset. As far as enforcement goes, though, I'm not really sure if that is being done at all.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, not everyone is the same. Honestly, if I didn't already build a tolerance to this sort of thing it would probably affect me, too.

Cheering and whatnot is already supposed to be regulated in tournaments; it's part of the actual ruleset. As far as enforcement goes, though, I'm not really sure if that is being done at all.
I'm just gonna say I feel differently then you on the subject and move on cause this argument will most likely skew to your side and not mines and it's not worth it here honestly.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to go against a palutena with a Simon? I feel like there's nothing I can do

And why does palutena get a reflect and a counter in 1 ability? Seems OP, why isn't fox's reflect also a counter for example?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Guess this list of non returning content I saw was completely wrong then.
Here's the full list of cut songs, not counting smash original songs like some of the subspace themes.

Remixes:
  1. Ground Theme Ver 2. This is the Brawl-exclusive reggae SMB Ground Theme remix.
  2. Jungle Level. no not that one. Not that one. No the other--yeah that's the one. This was cut in Ultimate.
  3. Smash 4's Wild Pokemon Battle (Diamond/Pearl). THey brought the Brawl one back.
  4. Brawl's Famicom Medley. Smash 4 introduced/replaced it with a new Famicom Medley by the same name, but they're different medeys.
  5. Bravo Man Retro Medley
  6. Youkai Douchuki Retro Medley
Rips:
  1. Barrel Blast's DK Jungle Level 1
  2. The original Molgera from Wind Waker
  3. The original Great Sea from Wind Waker
  4. The original Midna's Lament from Twilight Princess
  5. The original Parasite Queen from Metroid Prime
  6. The original Forest/Nature Area from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
  7. Air Ride's Checker Knights
  8. Ai No Uta
  9. Ai No Uta (French)
  10. Tane No Uta
  11. The original Theme of Solid Snake from MGS2
  12. The Dark Pit (chapter, flying section) theme from Uprising, which was Smash Run exclusive
  13. The original Wrath of the Reset Bomb from Uprising, also a Smash Run exclusive
  14. The original Wii Sports Opening Theme
  15. Right There, Ride On from Sonic Rush.

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure anyone encountered this late last night, but after barely seeing any in around 400 online matches so far, I encountered not 1, not 2, but 3 different Ike's. All spamming NAir all over the place.
Isn't that funny?

Well not only did an Ike win a big tournament, Zer0 just put out his tutorial on Ike that boiled down to the power of Nair. As an Ike main I didn't even realize how good it was (was winning a lot thanks to Ftilt and side B against spammers).

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried to play online with my cousin, but we can't seem to connect to / find each other's arenas. Does anyone know what the problem might be? This is super frustrating.

Edit: I'll add that we tried searching for the arena ID code but that didn't work either.

Has anyone had this issue?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Here's the full list of cut songs, not counting smash original songs like some of the subspace themes.

Remixes:
  1. Ground Theme Ver 2. This is the Brawl-exclusive reggae SMB Ground Theme remix.
  2. Jungle Level. no not that one. Not that one. No the other--yeah that's the one. This was cut in Ultimate.
  3. Smash 4's Wild Pokemon Battle (Diamond/Pearl). THey brought the Brawl one back.
  4. Brawl's Famicom Medley. Smash 4 introduced/replaced it with a new Famicom Medley by the same name, but they're different medeys.
Rips:
  8. Ai No Uta
  9. Ai No Uta (French)
  10. Tane No Uta
  12. The Dark Pit (chapter, flying section) theme from Uprising, which was Smash Run exclusive
  13. The original Wrath of the Reset Bomb from Uprising, also a Smash Run exclusive
A moment of silence for our fallen comrades

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to go against a palutena with a Simon? I feel like there's nothing I can do

And why does palutena get a reflect and a counter in 1 ability? Seems OP, why isn't fox's reflect also a counter for example?
Well it's only one or the other, not both and has pretty substantial endlag both on hit and miss, so there are ways you could take advantage of that, for example if on flat ground she reflects Simon's ax then she would vulnerable to an sweetspotted forward or down smash afterward. For comparison Fox's shine starts up on frame 3 and FAF of 37 frames, while Palutena's reflect starts on frame 7 and she can't act again until frame 71. No doubt it's very good, but it's fairly slow for a counter and doesn't have as intense knockback/damage scaling as many other counters.

In general when fighting Palutena as Simon I find focusing on f tilt and aerials to be a reliable way of out-spacing her while using projectiles a little bit less than usual. That being said I think it's a relatively unfavorable matchup for Simon that will always be a bit of an uphill battle, her tools are just really well suited for fighting the Belmonts

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Unlocking Calling to the Night is driving me insane, especially the Horde Battle.

Just so I'm clear, you have to start on 5.0 at the beginning, right?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's only one or the other, not both and has pretty substantial endlag both on hit and miss, so there are ways you could take advantage of that, for example if on flat ground she reflects Simon's ax then she would vulnerable to an sweetspotted forward or down smash afterward. For comparison Fox's shine starts up on frame 3 and FAF of 37 frames, while Palutena's reflect starts on frame 7 and she can't act again until frame 71. No doubt it's very good, but it's fairly slow for a counter and doesn't have as intense knockback/damage scaling as many other counters.

In general when fighting Palutena as Simon I find focusing on f tilt and aerials to be a reliable way of out-spacing her while using projectiles a little bit less than usual. That being said I think it's a relatively unfavorable matchup for Simon that will always be a bit of an uphill battle, her tools are just really well suited for fighting the Belmonts
What's a good char to use against her then?

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Wanting to get better at Smash, but some game (for beginners) are still hard to me.

- When are enemies vulnerable to follow-ups? Do they have invincibility frames just as they get knocked down or..? Sometimes I can dash into them and lift them off the ground or.. pass right through them.

- How do I short hop without relying on the A + X gimmick? Seems like I can't do it consistently (Fox/Falco). Also, any tips on how to forward and back nairs?

- tilt attacks out of a dash without going into dash attacks?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Remixes:
Rips:
  8. Ai No Uta
  9. Ai No Uta (French)
  10. Tane No Uta
I mean honestly, the only tracks i'll miss are Checker Knights, Right There Ride On, and... yeah, that's it. Though, besides legal issues with Ai No Uta and Right There Ride On (and Dark Pit and Wrath of the Reset Bomb being made around Smash Run) I can't see why they couldn't of brought back those other tracks.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I mean honestly, the only tracks i'll miss are Checker Knights, Right There Ride On, and... yeah, that's it. Though, besides legal issues with Ai No Uta and Right There Ride On (and Dark Pit and Wrath of the Reset Bomb being made around Smash Run) I can't see why they couldn't of brought back those other tracks.
I can see passing on Forest/Nature Area. GBA sound font is...okay. But it's in that weird spot between "good chiptune" and "modern soundfonts".
Konami might have been weird about the Solid Snake theme, maybe Checker Knights did have something with its rights specifically. And the remixes might have their own thing of company A wanting/not wanting something or some other rights stuff.

The dropped Zelda rips, Wii Sports theme, and PQ are just...like if they had removed every rip that has a remix, I'd get it. But they didn't. They removed some and kept others(Delfino Plaza comes to mind). & if my theories on the file order is right there's even cases where they removed it, then added the rip back.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Your list is missing the various tunes of the Kirby Retro Medley, which were Smash Run songs on the 3DS, and the NES SMB3 overworld theme, which is strangely missing as a choice, despite the other Mario Maker songs being available (and it being an option on the Wii U)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Your list is missing the various tunes of the Kirby Retro Medley, which were Smash Run songs on the 3DS, and the NES SMB3 overworld theme, which is strangely missing as a choice, despite the other Mario Maker songs being available (and it being an option on the Wii U)
I don't count the Kirby songs since they're still in the game and used for their "medley", just not individually selectable in My Music or the Sound Test
f14a_kby_gb_greengreens_scenelink.lopus <- This is the thing that links the pieces together

f14_kby_gb_greengreens.lopus
f15_kby_gb_castlelololo.lopus
f16_kby_gb_floatislands.lopus
f17_kby_gb_bubblyclouds.lopus
f18_kby_gb_mtdedede.lopus

Then the individual sections.

if the Kirby Retro Medley (f42_kby_gb_medley.lopus) comes up on Dream Land GB, it uses the scenelink instead of just continuing the song like it would on other stages.

Meanwhile the songs I listed are completely removed from the game. They do not exist.

That said...I had no idea the SMB3 theme did play on Mario Maker solo.
"a66a_smb3_chijyou_smmlink.lopus"
This is the song in the files that it uses for the ground theme. I presume it, like all the other smmlinks, are the full song it just swaps into for the duration. But the 66a always stood out to me because there's no 66. I just assumed it was a weird quirk when they inserted the song. If anyone happens to have the filenames for every DLC song that'd be useful. I had trouble finding a full listing for that so things like this would slip by.

SO I guess in this case it's a weird scenario of the song technically being removed (a66) but...not since a66a is the same exact song, just called on for the medley instead of being selectable solo.

Also oh my god I pulled out the Wii U version for this. My poor Wii U's fan is so loud finding things in Smash Wii U's menu was an ordeal. Why is My Music in the options

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Man I've got an issue with inputs. I've noticed since the game has been out that I constantly input wrong to the right. I feel like the slightest input to the right will turn my character around like B-Reversing or Forward-Airing when I intended to Back Air.

I can't believe how well I've been doing despite this but it is super annoying. I swear I input a quick tap of the stick to dash and my character just steadily walks.

I've always felt like my inputs weren't always being properly read ever since Brawl and into 3DS/Wii U but this is something different all together.

This is just me right and my Gamecube controller? I do have a bunch more that I more or less retired but I will pull them out and see if I get the same results.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Some people online have some wacky music picks on stages

Like why would anyone put the Airship theme on Peach's Castle 64??? It's not even a default for that stage, they had to actually move the bar up themselves...

I wish it would always just use my music settings, no reason the song needs to be something based on your opponent or you. In Smash 4 it was client side and I never had to listen to people's bizarre maxed out 25mBGs or whatever.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Some people online have some wacky music picks on stages

Like why would anyone put the Airship theme on Peach's Castle 64??? It's not even a default for that stage, they had to actually move the bar up themselves...

I wish it would always just use my music settings, no reason the song needs to be something based on your opponent or you. In Smash 4 it was client side and I never had to listen to people's bizarre maxed out 25mBGs or whatever.
Open air, air ships are often connected to castles when they show up (SMB3, for example, you have to go thte castle to then reach the airship), as a castle its one of the few things that brings you lose to a fortress stage. I put a few of those songs up a little on my Peach's Castle.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Peach's Castle 64 is for SMB Overworld (64) and Mario 64 rips ONLY

Edit: what inspired my post was watching Zero play and NSMBU's Overworld came up on Peach's Castle 64. What? Why?? Who does that??

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
As long as I like the track it's going up in every stage it's in.

Sometimes I turn some off if they don't match or I really dislike them (like fuck Hyrule Field seriously) but when it comes to tracks I really like they go up no matter what. I'll gladly put newer Mario tracks to the NES stage and vice versa for example.

And sometimes I'll have some on a very low percentile just so it has a chance to play now and then.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
someone made a tier list based on a bunch of top players' tier lists:

uyzsjy7.jpg

Looks good to me but I bet after yesterday Ike will rise even higher

and after Leffen blew those games Charizard might straight up not be used by pokemon trainer players. ivy and squirtle kinda get the job done just fine.

also waiting for someone to bust out those ice climbers desync combos/chaingrabs in tournament. they're gonna be high tier.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
While playing online and messing around with item animations, it turns out Dark Samus has a unique and specific animation for when she's holding a bludgeon weapon like a beam sword and uses a missile. The weapon floats around her like Mewtwo. This is the only instance where she's shown causing a weapon to float, and only for sword animation items, throwing items do not do this, she just holds them when using missiles.

She also has a unique firing animation for shooting weapons while walking. They ensured that she never has a situation where she ever lands to walk, she's always floating when moving

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Man I've got an issue with inputs. I've noticed since the game has been out that I constantly input wrong to the right. I feel like the slightest input to the right will turn my character around like B-Reversing or Forward-Airing when I intended to Back Air.

I can't believe how well I've been doing despite this but it is super annoying. I swear I input a quick tap of the stick to dash and my character just steadily walks.

I've always felt like my inputs weren't always being properly read ever since Brawl and into 3DS/Wii U but this is something different all together.

This is just me right and my Gamecube controller? I do have a bunch more that I more or less retired but I will pull them out and see if I get the same results.
Me and my friends have the exact same problems. Before december when playing Smash 4 we never had problems (same controllers, Wii U Pro) but ultimate is messing with us.

Oct 25, 2017
someone made a tier list based on a bunch of top players' tier lists:

uyzsjy7.jpg

Looks good to me but I bet after yesterday Ike will rise even higher

and after Leffen blew those games Charizard might straight up not be used by pokemon trainer players. ivy and squirtle kinda get the job done just fine.

also waiting for someone to bust out those ice climbers desync combos/chaingrabs in tournament. they're gonna be high tier.

Weird decision for splitting Pokemon trainer (the value is being able to swap as needed), but the list is pretty good. Ness and ROB are probably higher than their scores there let on.

There seems to be a Japanese vs. Western split decision on Pac-man, so expect him to settle at least higher than low-low. Also on Toon Link being better than the other two Links? Interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
My tier list is Game and Watch as S+ and everybody except the Fire Emblem characters are A. And the Fire Emblem characters are F. Because they're boring.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Wanting to get better at Smash, but some game (for beginners) are still hard to me.

- When are enemies vulnerable to follow-ups? Do they have invincibility frames just as they get knocked down or..? Sometimes I can dash into them and lift them off the ground or.. pass right through them.

- How do I short hop without relying on the A + X gimmick? Seems like I can't do it consistently (Fox/Falco). Also, any tips on how to forward and back nairs?

- tilt attacks out of a dash without going into dash attacks?
-Anytime your opponent isn't flashing white they are vulnerable to attack. If they miss a tech then they are completely vulnerable for a bit before that can input any action to get up.
-Just practice. It's a 3-frame window to release the jump button upon tapping it. Try Training mode and set speed to 1/2 or 2/3 to try it out, then practice it at regular speed.
-Tilt stick. Instead of using the C-stick/right stick for smash attacks, use it for tilts. Don't forget to either set your control stick to neutral or to hold up or down in order to do a tilt from a run.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Peach's Castle 64 is for SMB Overworld (64) and Mario 64 rips ONLY

Edit: what inspired my post was watching Zero play and NSMBU's Overworld came up on Peach's Castle 64. What? Why?? Who does that??

GROSS

almost as bad as the awful awful people who let fountain of dreams play on dreamland 64

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I just beat classic mode with everyone, and before it told me that I got the milestone, the game gave me a message at the final results screen but I pressed A too fast and didn't get to read it. Does anyone know what it says?