• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why the Orbital Gate Assault stage is missing? It was one of the best stages from Smash 4. It would look so good in Ultimate

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why the Orbital Gate Assault stage is missing? It was one of the best stages from Smash 4. It would look so good in Ultimate
It was one of the more complex Smash 4 stages, so the current assumption is it would take too much time relative to other stages they could work on and bring back.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think OGA was dropped necessarily because the stage was a lot of work load. No doubt it may have played a part in it, but I think it has more to do with stage morph. Similar to Pokefloats, Jungle Hijinx and the vertical scrollers, I think it would've been exceptionally difficult to translate those stages into that function.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think OGA was dropped necessarily because the stage was a lot of work load. No doubt it may have played a part in it, but I think it has more to do with stage morph. Similar to Pokefloats, Jungle Hijinx and the vertical scrollers, I think it would've been exceptionally difficult to translate those stages into that function.
Stage Morph likely wouldn't have been an issue for most of those. There's never a point where the stage can't just stop in place, like what happens with standard traveling stages, horizontal side scrollers and Rainbow Cruise.

The same also applies to Pokefloats, Icicle Mountain and Jungle Climb. There's always platforms on screen they can freeze on.

Jungle Hijinx I've come around on over the months, though. The background aspect probably interacts weirdly with stage morph. At best, assuming no weirdness in testing, it'd probably be pretty jarring if it suddenly jerked you to the foreground.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Stage Morph likely wouldn't have been an issue for most of those. There's never a point where the stage can't just stop in place, like what happens with standard traveling stages, horizontal side scrollers and Rainbow Cruise.
I don't think it's that there's mechanically an issue with them, but rather that there's a technical limitation in all of OGA's geometry and lighting. It might've been too much to put into memory alongside another stage (though I do think there's a brief moment in the explosions in OGA where there aren't any actual platforms onscreen it's probably a non-issue).

Though I also doubt the same is true for Infinite Glacier and Rumble Falls, and Pokefloats is pretty basic all around.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Incidentally Stage Morph transitions in increments of 30 seconds starting at 1:00. So where does that happen on OGA?
1:00 - You are safely on the arwings, kind of tilted but that doesn't matter for a perfect freeze. There's objects going on in the background, but the
1:30 - you are on the missile ramming to the left. You're still 5 seconds away from being blasted into the air
2:00 - Safely back on the Great Fox
2:30 - Should be on the missile surrounded by arwings
3:00 - Back to roughly where you are at 1:00.
3:30 - You're actually a second from blowing up, but plenty of time to freeze the stage in preparation
4:00 - Great Fox, repeat

I don't think it's that there's mechanically an issue with them, but rather that there's a technical limitation in all of OGA's geometry and lighting. It might've been too much to put into memory alongside another stage (though I do think there's a brief moment in the explosions in OGA where there aren't any actual platforms onscreen it's probably a non-issue).
That said, a memory issue is possible but without knowing how it's put together it's hard to say if it's something that would cause memory issues relative to any other stage. Definite possiblity, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever won a Sudden Death and I actively resent anyone who doesn't play with the full timer.

Anywho, I pulled off a 12 win streak tonight, was pretty great. My Lucas was on fire but I feel like I only play him since I've been doing it since launch. He's a little too technical whereas I think I'm more suited to rushdown characters like Inkling.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Incidentally Stage Morph transitions in increments of 30 seconds starting at 1:00. So where does that happen on OGA?
1:00 - You are safely on the arwings, kind of tilted but that doesn't matter for a perfect freeze. There's objects going on in the background, but the
1:30 - you are on the missile ramming to the left. You're still 5 seconds away from being blasted into the air
2:00 - Safely back on the Great Fox
2:30 - Should be on the missile surrounded by arwings
3:00 - Back to roughly where you are at 1:00.
3:30 - You're actually a second from blowing up, but plenty of time to freeze the stage in preparation
4:00 - Great Fox, repeat

That said, a memory issue is possible but without knowing how it's put together it's hard to say if it's something that would cause memory issues relative to any other stage. Definite possiblity, though.
You're forgetting the random setting, which is legitimately random. It can happen from a second into the match onward.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting the random setting, which is legitimately random. It can happen from a second into the match onward.
Wow really? I figured it just picked the interval at random from one of the set ones. Man that's living dangerous on some stage combos

Well, I still don't think it's that big an issue. There's 2 instances in the stage where you're free falling and they could just tweak the timer so it never hits a time where it'd overlap. It's literally like 2 seconds total in the stage where there's not one another platform immediately there. Or tweak the stage itself (that is, at a base level, even without stage morph) so that the arwings are immediately on screen before the missile blows up. They tweak these stages a little bit anyway when bringing them forward (geometry, stage hazards, sometimes the actual objects) so I don't think this would be as much of an issue as the memory aspect you brought up earlier would be.

Possibly, anyway. There's a lot about how the stage & stage morph works that I'm not privvy too, clearly. Maybe it was all these factors and it's much more difficult to work around.

Actually while I'm here when I was testing earlier I was surprised the stage morph accounted for being every separated on big stages that transition to small stages.
Ah, pro tip: don't stage morph palutena's temple into battlefield unless you like dying.

Mar 9, 2018
Made by MII! I tried some other characters...but it didn't turn out so well.

DzwL07uU8AACnBN.jpg

DzwL07SUYAA5uIy.jpg

DzwMnv-V4AE8yAK.jpg

DzwL07mVYAAbO4H.jpg

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
This is Nintendo's new mo of marketing, isn't it. "There's gonna be stuff in Yoshi's Crafted World when it launches, so stay tuned!". "Two more modes coming to Tetris 99 this May, keep hunting!". "Switch will have a game announced on E3, so take notice!".

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The Direct was unclear ("Before the end of April") but I guess that Tweet confirms an April release date specifically.

Now the question is: do they go for April 1st (for the cheesy joke) or for April 9th (the first day in Persona 5)?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Well, Piranha Plant was scheduled for a February release, and released a few days before Feb 1st, and then went on sale Feb 1st, so I imagine Joker will be a bit earlier in April, rather than later. They probably leave some breathing room for delays, so they shoot for the end of the month as a maximum date, but they plan on earlier in the month as the real release date.

I'm expecting a direct to happen right before he releases, as well. Like, the day of, and he releases later that night, like how Ryu/Lucas/Roy and Cloud were released.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Direct was unclear ("Before the end of April") but I guess that Tweet confirms an April release date specifically.

Now the question is: do they go for April 1st (for the cheesy joke) or for April 9th (the first day in Persona 5)?

Right now I'm expecting toward the end of April (maybe even the last day in April). But maybe that's just me.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Right now I'm expecting toward the end of April (maybe even the last day in April). But maybe that's just me.
I'm expecting him to release in the first-half of April for sure. In my mind, I think they'll want to space him out a little bit more from the second character, who I think will drop at E3.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely expecting "Brave" to drop around E3. With Character 3 announced at E3. Character 4 will be announced in another Smash Direct in the fall. And Character 5 at the Game Awards 2019.

(These are my predictions right now that will probably be totally wrong, lol.)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
This is Nintendo's new mo of marketing, isn't it. "There's gonna be stuff in Yoshi's Crafted World when it launches, so stay tuned!". "Two more modes coming to Tetris 99 this May, keep hunting!". "Switch will have a game announced on E3, so take notice!".
I suppose with Nintendo's policy of "announce stuff only when it's ready to show (outside of odd circumstances)" they can really only give vague hints that, yes, content is coming in the future.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoy taking pics in this game

edit: i hate cloud lol

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to set X as a dedicated short hop?
Unfortunately no. They added the ability to short hop by press both jump buttons at the same time which is a weird half step. I don't know why they don't have a button dedicated for each at this point. You can set your left trigger to jump and press that plus X or Y to make it easier.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to improve on spiking with Lucas but I can't seem to get the timing down pat, and I frequently screw up Short Hop PK Fire.

I've come to the shameful realization that I legit have no idea how to fight against Ganondorf, Snake or Zelda.

Ganondorf is just too fast for me. I try to hit him after his attacks but by the time I reach him he's blocking or winding up something else.

Every Snake I've fought just bounces around spamming grenades and mines, and once I'm off-screen it's the homing missile until I'm dead.

Zelda's kind of the same situation. Just B-Moves thrown out and I don't know what to do.

Unfortunately no. They added the ability to short hop by press both jump buttons at the same time which is a weird half step. I don't know why they don't have a button dedicated for each at this point. You can set your left trigger to jump and press that plus X or Y to make it easier.

Hopefully that gets patched in.

Last edited:

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Ike is just not fun to fight as Kirby. It feels ridiculous that I have to be hugging the guy to do anything but he can swing for miles, while also knocking me around from a distance and killing me at low % due to how light I am. Not complaining that he's broken or saying there's anything inherently wrong, just that that match up feels real bad for the Kirby player, hot damn.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Ike is just not fun to fight as Kirby. It feels ridiculous that I have to be hugging the guy to do anything but he can swing for miles, while also knocking me around from a distance and killing me at low % due to how light I am. Not complaining that he's broken or saying there's anything inherently wrong, just that that match up feels real bad for the Kirby player, hot damn.

Ike, Ganon, and Bowser are huge offenders when it comes to characters that can literally just stand there tilt for the win. It's not just Kirby that struggles with spacing issues, I think Ike can kill most characters in 3 or 4 hits total. Meanwhile he can take deathblows upwards past 140% and still not die. Those 3 and fire emblem characters besides Corrin are... >_>

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ike, Ganon, and Bowser are huge offenders when it comes to characters that can literally just stand there tilt for the win. It's not just Kirby that struggles with spacing issues, I think Ike can kill most characters in 3 or 4 hits total. Meanwhile he can take deathblows upwards past 140% and still not die. Those 3 and fire emblem characters besides Corrin are... >_>
I'm still trying to get the hang of Ike.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ike players astound me. Whenever I pick him up it's a neverending butt fumble disaster but you see a good Ike player and it's this graceful dance of precision accurate attacks.
Ike players are like kickers on a football team, they're a strange breed......& it has me curious about their thought process.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, when the Starforce title theme started playing in the fight against EXE, the feels hit me like a ton of bricks.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
New interview out

Being translated, now

Marx was originally a scary boss, but Sakurai had them change him to be more bizarre, rather than scary.

Also, in case this was bothering anyone, Kirby isn't included in the first half of WoL, due to surviving, but by the mid-game, it's assumed he was scanned at some point, so he gets used in fights after that.

That's probably why super easy fights like Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo are actually way later in the game than their difficulty makes it seem like they should be.

So there's actually a lore reason why there are fights against Kirby in WoL.

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus, when the Starforce title theme started playing in the fight against EXE, the feels hit me like a ton of bricks.
Man, as much as I was looking forward to the EXE spirit battle, it didn't make much sense at all. Plus, it would have helped if they had any EXE music at all considering there are 2 battles for it from the series.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder what spirits they wanted to do, but they couldn't find art of them

At worst, they could have just ripped the sprite, if it was a sprite based character, so I think it was probably third party, or obscure characters from 3D games that might not have had good art to work with. The DS seems like it'd be particularly difficult to make a spirit, if no art exists and the game was 3D.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm gonna try to help with these:
Ganondorf is just too fast for me. I try to hit him after his attacks but by the time I reach him he's blocking or winding up something else.
Ganondorf is one of the slowest characters in the game in terms of like everything, so no idea why you're thinking he's "fast". Regardless, have him approach you since you're the one with the superior neutral tools, then punish his approach options with your superior mobility and frame data. He should be dead whenever he gets knocked off-stage, too.
Every Snake I've fought just bounces around spamming grenades and mines, and once I'm off-screen it's the homing missile until I'm dead.
You play Lucas, so then just absorb his grenade explosions and heal like 20%. Snake is essentially forced to fight without one of his primary neutral tools against Ness, Lucas, and especially Mr. Game & Watch because of that. If he's ever off-stage, chase him with b-airs (if he's low) or PK Thunder/PK Freeze.
Zelda's kind of the same situation. Just B-Moves thrown out and I don't know what to do.
You can absorb Din's Fire and also reflect her down-B with your f-smash. You can snipe her with PK Fire before her down-B finishes charging, too. Nayru's Love is punishable on block if you read when she's going to throw one out. Your normals and general frame data are vastly superior to hers so you should win in most close-quarter situations.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna try to help with these:

Ganondorf is one of the slowest characters in the game in terms of like everything, so no idea why you're thinking he's "fast". Regardless, have him approach you since you're the one with the superior neutral tools, then punish his approach options with your superior mobility and frame data. He should be dead whenever he gets knocked off-stage, too.

You play Lucas, so then just absorb his grenade explosions and heal like 20%. Snake is essentially forced to fight without one of his primary neutral tools against Ness, Lucas, and especially Mr. Game & Watch because of that. If he's ever off-stage, chase him with b-airs (if he's low) or PK Thunder/PK Freeze.

You can absorb Din's Fire and also reflect her down-B with your f-smash. You can snipe her with PK Fire before her down-B finishes charging, too. Nayru's Love is punishable on block if you read when she's going to throw one out. Your normals and general frame data are vastly superior to hers so you should win in most close-quarter situations.

Wait, Lucas can absorb the grenades? He can't absorb Corrin and Ice Climber's magical water but he can absorb grenades?!

Ha.

Anywho, thanks a lot for writing this. I'll try and apply it the next time I take these characters on.

Regarding Ganondorf, it just feels like whenever I fight him he's perfectly timed his moves so that no matter what I get hit. It might just be my general incompetence but I can never block or dodge roll his Smash attacks in time.