• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the Spirit battle for Dragonite has heavy winds, so I wonder if it would've incorporated those into its Poké Ball summon

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
the Spirit battle for Dragonite has heavy winds, so I wonder if it would've incorporated those into its Poké Ball summon
I've actually wondered why Volcanion isn't a Pokeball Pokemon that causes the steam effect

Or why Gengar doesn't pop up and cover the screen in the poison gas effect from World of Light

They should use those effects outside of spirit battles

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually wondered why Volcanion isn't a Pokeball Pokemon that causes the steam effect

Or why Gengar doesn't pop up and cover the screen in the poison gas effect from World of Light

They should use those effects outside of spirit battles
Or just add it to Skull Kid's roulette of awful effects

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Update details: Added support for the upcoming Daisy, Young LInk & Ken amiibo figures

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised they weren't already supported? Smash 4 shipped with all the base game roster available, you could even force the game to trigger them through hacking.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not fair.

Why is Ness so much stronger than Lucas? Mother 3 is a way better game than Earthbound.

Every couple of weeks I keep coming back to Lucas but man, Ness is busted.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for a Samus Player? In particular I'm having trouble knowing when to Z-Air the grappling beam and what to do with bombs, other then throwing them out as edgeguarding pokes.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
As a thought experiment, when you guys picture the roster lined up together, does your mind include the Koopalings and Alph?

I actually do consider them their own characters when thinking of the roster in my head in a Subspace sort of imagined cutscene.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
As a thought experiment, when you guys picture the roster lined up together, does your mind include the Koopalings and Alph?

I actually do consider them their own characters when thinking of the roster in my head in a Subspace sort of imagined cutscene.
even as someone who wants justice for alph: not really no

Which is funny, I guess, considering the koopalings got a cg section of Bowser Jr's trailer

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Hey look, I'm directly mentioned in a Kotaku article! :>

https://kotaku.com/not-everyone-loved-the-smash-balls-in-nintendos-latest-1833723971

Kotaku said:
Hundreds of PAX East attendees crowded around a small stage in the expo hall last Saturday afternoon to see if Seth, one of the top-ranked Smashplayers in Chicago, could keep his team alive in Nintendo's North America Open against his opponent Poltergust. As both players deployed deadly items and Final Smash attacks, the hall blew up with shock and cheers until Poltergust eventually edged Seth out.

Also mentioned indirectly in this blurb lol:

Kotaku said:
At one point during the finals, John Numbers, a 2015 Nintendo World Champion playing for Northeast as Wii Fit Trainer, managed to blast his opponent off stage, even though his Final Smash had been launched in the opposite direction. That's because there's a small range from which the attack can hit from behind, which Numbers was able to deploy to corner his opponent. The crowd exploded when they saw Numbers' gambit was successful. His victory in that moment was both exciting to watch and, also, felt earned.

"his opponent" = me

I actually knew that humongous attack was coming, but I thought I would grab the ledge in time before it came out. I was off by only a couple of frames, though.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong if I want the Belmont Bros to get some buffs? Just something that makes them able to survive when knocked off stage.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Melee's victory poses, this time. For some reason, the melee crew in particular feels like they had way more animation redos for their poses than the smash 64 originals. More flourishes to almost every animation, if not just straight up having new ones.
Zelda in particular is probably the biggest winner in the game, her poses from Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 to Ultimate are like day & night.

Surprised they didn't bring back Ganondorf's sword animation from Melee.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy with Ganondorf's design in Ultimate. I could barely bring myself to use him in Smash 4 because his model looked like garbage.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Ganondorf doesn't have an adult timeline mullet option forever ruins the choice to go back to OoT style for me.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think since Brawl, Ganondorf's hand should have showed the Triforce of Power whenever he posed with it

It looked like that was what was meant to happen, but it still hasn't (although Ganondorf only has one pose like that now).

It's bothered me for awhile.

He also should have a Melee colored alt, with a white cape, duller hair and yellow gems in his crown.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hyrule-Warriors-GANONDORF.jpg

I would love an alt costume of this version.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Melee's victory poses, this time. For some reason, the melee crew in particular feels like they had way more animation redos for their poses than the smash 64 originals. More flourishes to almost every animation, if not just straight up having new ones.
Zelda in particular is probably the biggest winner in the game, her poses from Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 to Ultimate are like day & night.

Surprised they didn't bring back Ganondorf's sword animation from Melee.

rip Peach winking

I did like how for IC's hand-clap pose in Brawl, they actually had a hand-clap sound when their hands clapped

rip Sheik's contemptuous shrug. Zelda's was also good in Melee, and Brawl's face and camera angles helped sell it a lot, but then Smash 4 just didn't do anything with it and it looked lame and dumb.

I love Dr. Mario's chin-rub animation. so much better than reusing Mario's jump

rip Marth sword twirl

kinda wish they'd use darkness effects in at least one of Ganondorf's poses, like Smash 4 (or the Triforce of Power, as ned mentioned, though that might look a little weird on top of the yellow patterns on his gloves). love the new laugh - while it'd be nice for him to do something with the sword, the Melee pose looks like he's shaking it out?

I always found it weird how Roy had the sword-sheathe sound for his Melee pose, but didn't actually sheathe his sword (which seems to be what they intended, going by Smash 4 and Ultimate). wonder what went wrong there

also can we talk about how funny-looking Bowser is in Brawl

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I miss when Ice Climbers would have a loud obnoxious "BOING BOING BOING BOING" whenever they'd jump, even in their victory pose.

They still have it in Ultimate when they jump, but it's super quiet

They also lost the subtle wind sound effect on their Melee taunt.

I was hoping Ultimate added a little heart or star that would pop out for their high five victory animation. Oh well.

It's also kind of cool how Young Link still has a clone of Link's sword in the air animation, but the different camera angle and slightly different animation make it seem more unique than it is.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So anyone want to explain how to get out of a PK fire spam once your in it? fought someone online and all he did was run and avoid me and spammed pk fire

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You have to sdi and could try buffer a jump or something combined with that
I usually sdi and air dodge which works most of the time
Just to make sure, I'm just supposed to keep moving the stick up and down? Or is there something else you do in addition to that? I tried that and it didn't help, I've never seen a pk fire spammer like this one

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble with really advanced players that have 500 - 900 hrs playtime, I can get a few wins in but not consistently

Want to see if any smash experts here know how to approach players that do this

They have ranged attacks that they do a lot so I can't approach head on so I usually jump over the ranged attack and come down on them with an air attack, but when I do this they shield my attack and grab me right when I land

So, I can't charge them head on because of ranged attacks
I can't come at them by air because they shield then grab

So what's my 3rd option?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I hadn't played in a few weeks and I got utterly destroyed as Dark Samus last night...

I guess I'm rusty. Normally I can get at least around a 50% win rate per play session, but after 4 matches I lost all of them I just played another character (2 Doc games and 1 Mewtwo) and ended up winning 3 matches in a row (I got pity matched against people with 5 digit GSPs, I guess)

Also reminder that Dark Samus is the best newcomer in Ultimate.
MindlessMajorBronco-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
ehhh considering he hooks himself up to an iv drip when he's sick maybe it's a bad mantra for how it blows over what those "problems" can be

Eh, I don't think the "problems" was health related ; since it's prettty much a reference to game development itself. If you chose to ingore the problem then the video games wouldn't lasted forever because many people wouldn't even play broken games.

PurpleNeedle

Jan 10, 2018
I'm having trouble with really advanced players that have 500 - 900 hrs playtime, I can get a few wins in but not consistently

Want to see if any smash experts here know how to approach players that do this

They have ranged attacks that they do a lot so I can't approach head on so I usually jump over the ranged attack and come down on them with an air attack, but when I do this they shield my attack and grab me right when I land

So, I can't charge them head on because of ranged attacks
I can't come at them by air because they shield then grab

So what's my 3rd option?
Yeah sdi is moving the stick very fast and often from neutral position to any direction you want to go(correct me if I am off a bit not a pro of any sort),hitting the projectiles with a hitbox but I think the option you are forgetting is not running but walking forward and shielding this way you can approach them slowly and pary/quick shield there projectiles:) and crossing up shields also helps, this does depent a bit of what character you play