• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E6AyJsh.gif

scRggY2.gif

i don't know
He is right. It may not be slower, but it looks slower. Ultimate has better animations, effects and the kill cam. All of it make the impact look stronger in Ultimate.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
If all you do is jump around and spam NAir/FAir, I'm not giving you a rematch
If all you do is run to a corner and spam projectiles, I'm not giving you a rematch
If all you do is run to a corner so you can wait for me to approach then try to throw me off the ledge and gimp me, I'm not giving you a rematch
If you have bullshit rules like 2 stocks/3 minutes a.k.a try and take a stock and then run the entire match, I'm not giving you a rematch

I find I'm giving out very few rematches

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You know what's particularly cruel

Having your alt color be lost when you get into a match, and then being matched against someone playing your character with the alt you wanted...

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I came across someone using a gimmick setup for online I didn't even realise.
It was 2 stock, 2 minutes I think, but all I was noting was "boy this Zero Suit Samus sure is playing passively, spamming them paralysers and running to edges, making getting my fat penguin in a pain in the ass"
Then the countdown popped up and I finally tweaked, OH, Coward, gotcha.

And then they got outpaced in sudden death by Dedede, felt good.

Who the fuck picks 1v1 one stock in quick play
gimmick setup
A man who lives on the edge!

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
The online multiplayer in this game really brings out the salt in me. I either get rolled by super-good players or deal with some douchebag edge-throwing or just spamming projectiles all game. Naturally, these are also the kind of people who don't rematch.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm so close to elite Smash with Little Mac. I'm just under 3 mil.

Little Mac must not be popular cause I've noticed a lot of people have no clue how to fight him. They don't know he can reverse his neutral B and they don't know you can't shield KO punch. It's crazy.

This is with a left joycon that is now consistently drifting. If I didn't have tap jump on or if that wasn't an option, I wouldn't be able to play this game at all right now

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Yoshi... why can he still not eat items and stuff? He's the eating guy. Eating is what he does.

Mar 9, 2018
Hey, just a heads up, but muscular Pachinko men destroy obese pre-rendered crocodiles from 1999.

Goodbye Elite Smash. Goodbye shiny buttons and dramatic character select screen lighting.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading Wolf's entry on the Wiki and noticed

This isn't true, is it? I thought he had his 64 3D/Zero voice actor?

Although reading more into it, it seems Jay Ward actually voiced Wolf in Starlink. Huh...
If that's true, then the VA director really must've made sure that he would sound completely different.
Wish the director had told Yuri Lowenthal to do the same...

Oct 27, 2017
You are talking about Shamrock I believe. The insane Ness and Lucas player. Haven't seen him in ages. I don't think he came over. Karsticles isn't here either but I did add him to my Switch friends list. But because I don't frequent Neogaf I haven't talked to him. If he is there I will go see him.

As for Jimbei avatar that was me. I'm still playing semi competitively but except for one person I haven't played anyone here yet. By the time I found the discord it seemed to have dried up.

I'm happy to play anyone here as often as I can. I'm mostly a 1vs1 player but I enjoy Free4Alls as well.

5936-4189-3002

Yes, Shamrock that was it! Yeah for sure I'd be down to play anytime as well.

Tonight I got up to 2,900,000 with Ridley and went all the way back down to around 2,600,000 due to a few bad matches. it may be the salt but I swear the buttons I was pressing were not registering. I'll try and get back to it tonight.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I finally realized GSP doesn't lower (and rise?) for players at the results screen when someone disconnected at some point throughout Quickplay battle.
Does that mean it doesn't lower for the disconnected either?

I just fought some Luigi player who was kicking my and every one else's ass for the most part, but I was having fun trying not to suck with Ken (unsuccesfully!) in the meantime. Player had a 100k GSP higher than the rest of us too. But as someone got a lucky shot in and the Luigi ended up third place, not even a second passed and they were disconnected mid-game (8 second lag, then game moves as normal). I guess they turned the system off.

Even if it doesn't keep their GSP from lowering, it sure keeps ours from rising. Total dick move

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
What on earth is the elite smash minimum for Richter?, i'm over 3 million and still nothing.

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to do a little research & find out what the highest selling games series are, then see if they're represented in Smash or not.

Now obviously a series being large doesn't mean it'll get in Smash (Bayonetta & Persona aren't close to being on this list). But a good amount of the series on this list are represented, so it could make the leftovers more likely for future Smash appearances. Just some fun food for thought.

Here's the top 20. I excluded sub-series (Super Mario & Mario Kart), Racing Games (Need for Speed & Gran Turismo) & series that didn't originate as games (Star Wars, Tom Clancy, FIFA, Madden, etc...)

https://imgur.com/a/AqouupP

So, 9/20 series are in Smash with 4 extras not really fitting into Smash.

GTA, COD, Sims & Battlefield wouldn't really fit into Smash Bros for a variety reason; though I could see stages based on the Sims & Call of Duty (particularly Zombies Mode) working.

So that leaves us with Minecraft, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Halo, Tomb Raider & Crash.

Minecraft & Dragon Quest are already heavily rumored to be in Smash. On top of that, they just make sense. Minecraft is one of the biggest games of all time & it's still massively popular to this day across the globe. However, I could see Minecraft simply getting a stage instead of a playable character. Minecraft Steve would be a tricky character to fit into Smash; it's definitely possible, but Sakurai may go the easy route instead.

Dragon Quest is notoriously huge in Japan, with comparisons being made that it's their version of Star Wars. The series isn't too popular in the West, but Smash is a Japanese made game & Nintendo/the Smash devs would probably want a Dragon Quest character in the game.

I don't think an Assassin's Creed character or Lara Croft are particularly likely. Neither series has a particularly strong history with Nintendo nor is there much fan demand for them. While those series are both great, they didn't really do anything to revolutionize any genres or gaming as a whole (like Street Fighter or Metal Gear for example). However, Lara Croft & the white hooded Assassins are super recognizable & I'd think they'd both fit in well.

Halo is iffy. On one hand, it's an Xbox exclusive series that's never had a game on Nintendo (though it has content on the Nintendo versions of Minecraft). On top of that, it's not popular in Japan at all. But Microsoft & Nintendo have recently been fairly close with each other.

Halo is an important series in the history of gaming as it helped to popularize shooters & online gaming with the masses. I also think Master Chief is the most iconic game character not in Smash yet. There's also a rising amount of support for the character lately, which could help his chances. I don't think he'll be in Ultimate, but I could see it happening eventually as the next big Snake/Cloud Tier "Whoah, *HE'S* in!?" character.

Crash Bandicoot & a Resident Evil Character are the most likely on this list besides a Dragon Quest Rep IMO.

Crash is a classic gaming icon. Crash would complete the 90s mascot trio, as well as being another "PlayStation" character for the mini PS All-Stars roster growing inside of Smash. The original Crash trilogy was surprisingly popular for a Western made series too, which would give him some cred with the Japanese devs. He's also had an incredibly successful revival recently. The Switch version in particular has been doing really good; Activision & Nintendo haven't revealed any numbers yet, but I imagine Crash is one of the best selling multi-plat games for the Switch. I imagine Activision has a lot of plans for Crash in the future & that they'll all be coming to Nintendo platforms.

I don't know why exactly, but after Joker's reveal I got the strange feeling that we'll be seeing a Resident Evil character in Smash. Resident Evil has had a long history with Nintendo, with several prominent games starting off as exclusives. The series is also the biggest Japanese franchise not in Smash. Smash doesn't have a horror character in it yet either, with the addition of the Fatal Frame assist trophy it's clear that Sakurai isn't completely hiding the genre from Smash Bros.

I think Leon Kennedy would be the character they'd choose to represent Resident Evil. Resident Evil 4 is the most popular game in the series, as well as starting off as a GameCube exclusive. Leon could also be used to advertise the Resident Evil 2 remake which I could see coming to Switch. I also think that Sakurai would lean towards Leon since Jill & Chris have previously been in fighting games; thus Leon would be a clean palette for Sakurai to interpret how a RE character would work in a fighter.

Super long post, but I thought it was interesting to think about. Smash is a game about gaming's all-stars so it'd make sense that some of these series will eventually join the fray.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a fucking tournament that has Saffron City legal. I repeat there's a tourney that has Saffron City legal.
LMFAOOO

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken's like right under this. If I got rid of GTA/COD/Sims/BF, the next four would've been Tekken, Elder Scrolls, Pac-Man & Street Fighter.

Latter two are obviously in & I think Tekken/Elder Scrolls could happen too.
Ah, I had assumed you used the Wikipedia sales list, which puts Tekken above Crash Bandicoot.

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I definitely think Tekken has a good chance. It'd be sort of messed up if Namco continues to only get one rep, despite developing this game & Smash 4 lol

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
m2k says zero might not go to genesis because he's being offered big money to stream kingdom hearts 3 the same weekend

lmao

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
m2k says zero might not go to genesis because he's being offered big money to stream kingdom hearts 3 the same weekend

lmao

He should probably just stream KH III. He's not likely to win anyway. Not this soon at least. Go for the $

Does anyone have a link to

Probably hazard less then, yeah? Idk what hazard less saffron looks like

Looks exactly the same as regular Saffron City except no Pokemon coming out

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

lmao
That's actually the right thing to do. That's actually more of a reason I won't be watching much of it then the fact that the Super bowl is that Sunday also.
Actually has Zero played the previous KH games to know what's going on.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I finished WoL with like 99.67% and I sure as hell won't check everything for that last 1 or 2 spirits ffs. Isn't tehre a way to let the game tell you where it is?
It appears to be based on W/L-ratio rather than GSP. I had 3 million GSP with Little Mac but no elite in sight. Think you gotta win more games
Welp, thanks for the tip I guess haha.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
As a smash noobie who hates fighting games for being difficult/hard to properly input moves, is Smash easier to play?

As in, is it more pick up and play but hard to master?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
As a smash noobie who hates fighting games for being difficult/hard to properly input moves, is Smash easier to play?

Every character in the game uses the same basic controls, there aren't really "traditional" fighting game inputs* so the game is really easy to pick up and play.

* Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter have fighting game inputs

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah definitely. Smash can be played as a party game even. You don't need to worry about combos or anything, and even though all characters are unique, they can all be played pretty much the same way on a basic level.

George

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I made it to Elite/VIP with every character.
2019011313310936izk2r.jpg
My base GSP was high enough that it usually only took going 2-0 with a character to make it. I did that for 28 characters. The two characters I had the hardest time with were Bayonetta with 69 games total and Diddy Kong with 31. It took me quite a bit to figure out how to actually beat people with them, although Diddy Kong in hindsight seems kind of bad. I'm still not really sure how Bayonetta is supposed to effectively get kills. There are a few characters right on the cusp of being knocked out, so I'll probably have to go back and win games every so often as more people work their way up the ladder. Lowest GSP as of the time of this post is 3,087,182 shared by Dark Samus, Yoshi, Olimar, and Cloud. Quite a few of my other characters have the same GSP, but it probably becomes more fine tuned with more games played.

All in all, it was a fun little project. Now to figure out who I actually want to play in this game.