• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
While playing online and messing around with item animations, it turns out Dark Samus has a unique and specific animation for when she's holding a bludgeon weapon like a beam sword and uses a missile. The weapon floats around her like Mewtwo. This is the only instance where she's shown causing a weapon to float, and only for sword animation items, throwing items do not do this, she just holds them when using missiles.

She also has a unique firing animation for shooting weapons while walking. They ensured that she never has a situation where she ever lands to walk, she's always floating when moving
they really took heart in her animations, she probably has the most impressive animation work of the echoes. And some "real" characters, for that matter.

Though, I can't say I understand why this is one of her taunts https://youtu.be/Snp8P22NzVE?t=38
just politely standing attention with her arm canon and hand politely lowered???

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Any good beginner guides out there for someone who's played Smash casually for 20 years but is actually sort of considering competing this time around? I don't really have much strategy to speak of other than throwing out hitboxes in the general direction of my opponent.

If character-specific stuff is easier to digest, I'm mostly interested in playing Inkling.

So, at long last I completed every character's Classic Mode, which means I can now say officially: I am completely, utterly incapable of beating Master Hand and Crazy Hand at 9.0+ intensity without dying. I didn't manage it a single time.

Am I missing something obvious to make the fight easier? Is it just really hard? Do I just suck?
It's pretty tough. Other than being able to recognize all of their attack patterns quickly and dodge as needed, I think the key is dizzying them in such a way that you often don't have to contend with more than one of them at a time. Like dizzy one of them, and then beat up on that one while also grazing the other one with your attacks at the same time so that by the time the first one recovers the other one is dizzied. Some characters have an easier time pulling this off than others. I just basically did this with Ike.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I would have had her make twitching motions and laugh for one taunt and maybe had some spooky tentacles grow out of her while her visor lights up, for the third taunt

I always just use the flying around taunt, I like that one.

I have to say, though, my favorite animation of her's is when you quickly turn around while running and then stop suddenly, and her body contorts and twitches and she reorients herself. It looks so smooth and unsettling.

Another favorite of mine is her victory animation that zooms into Metroid Prime's eyes

Last edited:

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm 100% sure none of you guys give a shit, but I had an experience last night while playing online that I want to share.

I was desperately and frustratingly attempting to get past a certain GSP last night, and no matter what, I kept getting close and then failing miserably.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not particularly good at the game. I just felt that needed to be said.

So, it's late, right? And I decide, "Fine... one more shot at getting over that number before bed." So I jump into a quickplay match as Link. When I finally got matched to another player, I was surprised to be poetically paired against another Link, for the first time ever, dressed as Dark Link. This couldn't be any more dramatic.

Here is the full gameplay from that poetic-ass match:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
and after Leffen blew those games Charizard might straight up not be used by pokemon trainer players. ivy and squirtle kinda get the job done just fine.
I decided to look up the games Leffen played with Charizard over the weekend. The first match I see has him fighting Wario, and he uses Flare Blitz 3 times in a row while he's at 200%. He also tried to Flare Blitz into Wario's bike while it was laying on the stage.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to not trust a word of what Leffen says about Ultimate Charizard anymore, since it's clear he has *no idea* how to use Charizard in general.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've decided to make this roster of characters from existing franchises that I perceive to be significant enough to be added (aside from the bottom 2 rows, I'll get to that tho). I know there's a lot of 'em, and I'm fairly certain only a handful of them even have a remote chance of being added. But these are the characters that would be on my shortlist if I was in charge of the roster picks.
Empty_Roster.png

The rows sort as follows:
Unique characters with high priority
Semi-clones with high priority
Echoes with high priority
Uniques with low priority
Echoes with low priority

And the bottom 2 are basically just a wishlist of series/characters I'd like see to get represented (Napoleon is a stand-in for Hanafuda/Rainman).

First of all: I think that Dr. Mario should be its own series at this point, which is why I would prioritize the Viruses as a character so their only representation isn't a Mario variation, and also why Dr. Luigi is on the list as Echo.
Metal Sonic would be interchangable with Shadow - it's an either or. Toad would have a Captain Toad alt, Galacta Knight a Morpho Knight alt. Jody Summers I picked over Black Shadow or Blood Falcon because I think she's cool and we need more female representation - and before you go yelling at me: She is a police officer so martial arts shouldn't be foreign to her! Ana I picked because I wanted each Mother game to have a character representing it, and I took her over Ninten because I believe that Ninten is too similar to Ness visually (they are like... identical aside from the colour of their shoes lol), and Ana could be a fairly easy clone of Lucas because she heavily uses PSI - just give her a pan instead of the stick and remove the tether grab and you're good to go. Deoxys and Snivy are there are stand-ins for Gen 3 and Gen 5 Pokemon - I like the thought of each Gen having one character each.
I picked Elma over Rex/Pyra/whatever because female AND PoC representation. Also I believe the producers said they were wanting to continue Elma's adventures, so there's a good chance she'll be a recurring character in the X sub-series. And finally, WHY DOES KIRBY HAVE SO MANY GOOD CHARACTERS AHH.

The rest should be fairly straight forward.
inb4 people yelling at me for not being as much into Paper Mario to put it onto the high priority list.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I've decided to make this roster of characters from existing franchises that I perceive to be significant enough to be added (aside from the bottom 2 rows, I'll get to that tho). I know there's a lot of 'em, and I'm fairly certain only a handful of them even have a remote chance of being added. But these are the characters that would be on my shortlist if I was in charge of the roster picks.
Empty_Roster.png

Echoes with low priority

And the bottom 2 are basically just a wishlist of series/characters I'd like see to get represented.

First of all: I think that Dr. Mario should be its own series at this point, which is why I would prioritize the Viruses as a character so their only representation isn't a Mario variation, and also why Dr. Luigi is on the list as Echo.
Metal Sonic would be interchangable with Shadow. Toad would have a Captain Toad alt, Galacta Knight a Morpho Knight alt. Jody Summers I picked over Black Shadow or Blood Falcon because I think she's cool and we need more female representation - and before you go yelling at me: She is a police officer so martial arts shouldn't be foreign to her! Ana I picked because I wanted each Mother game to have a character representing it, and I took her over Ninten because I believe that Ninten is too similar to Ness visually (they are like... identical aside from the colour of their shoes lol), and Ana could be a fairly easy clone of Lucas because she heavily uses PSI - just give her a pan instead of the stick and remove the tether grab and you're good to go. Deoxys and Snivy are there are stand-ins for Gen 3 and Gen 5 Pokemon - I like the thought of each Gen having one character each.
I picked Elma over Rex/Pyra/whatever because female AND PoC representation. Also I believe the producers said they were wanting to continue Elma's adventures, so there's a good chance she'll be a recurring character in the X sub-series. And finally, WHY DOES KIRBY HAVE SO MANY GOOD CHARACTERS AHH.

inb4 people yelling at me for not being as much into Paper Mario to put it onto the high priority list.
I'd love to see a lot of those characters make it in. Gimme Toad, any of those Zelda characters, Marx, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Octoling, Metal Sonic, Funky Kong, Paper Mario, Lip, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Twintelle, Bomberman or Shovel Knight, and I would be happy.

I also appreciate Snivy being there as the Gen 5 rep (even if it's just a stand-in).

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see a lot of those characters make it in. Gimme Toad, any of those Zelda characters, Marx, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Octoling, Metal Sonic, Funky Kong, Paper Mario, Lip, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Twintelle, Bomberman or Shovel Knight, and I would be happy.

I also appreciate Snivy being there as the Gen 5 rep (even if it's just a stand-in).

Snivy is my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon, lol. Smugleaf. <3
Not the case with Deoxys, but I know it's popular, and I didn't want to put Blaziken there cause there's already plenty of fire characters and Pokemon.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Empty_Roster.png

Echoes with low priority

And the bottom 2 are basically just a wishlist of series/characters I'd like see to get represented (Napoleon is a stand-in for Hanafuda/Rainman).

Metal Sonic would be interchangable with Shadow - it's an either or. Toad would have a Captain Toad alt, Galacta Knight a Morpho Knight alt. Jody Summers I picked over Black Shadow or Blood Falcon because I think she's cool and we need more female representation - and before you go yelling at me: She is a police officer so martial arts shouldn't be foreign to her! Ana I picked because I wanted each Mother game to have a character representing it, and I took her over Ninten because I believe that Ninten is too similar to Ness visually (they are like... identical aside from the colour of their shoes lol), and Ana could be a fairly easy clone of Lucas because she heavily uses PSI - just give her a pan instead of the stick and remove the tether grab and you're good to go. Deoxys and Snivy are there are stand-ins for Gen 3 and Gen 5 Pokemon - I like the thought of each Gen having one character each.

Salvager code, a list without Rex? Next!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Snivy is my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon, lol. Smugleaf. <3
Not the case with Deoxys, but I know it's popular, and I didn't want to put Blaziken there cause there's already plenty of fire characters and Pokemon.
Yeah, Snivy is my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon too! At one point it was also my favourite starter, but it was dethroned by Rowlet.

I honestly wouldn't be able to say what my favourite Gen 3 Pokemon is. I do have a soft spot for Electrike and Manectric though, because they were my first shiny.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Snivy is my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon too! At one point it was also my favourite starter, but it was dethroned by Rowlet.

I honestly wouldn't be able to say what my favourite Gen 3 Pokemon is. I do have a soft spot for Electrike and Manectric though, because they were my first shiny.

Blaziken, Rayquaza and Sharpedo are the only Gen 3 Pokemon I really like. Gen 5 also has a few others than Snivy, but Snivy seemed to be pretty popular with the internet too. Smugleaf lives on in my heart.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could go back last year and experience the hype of the Inkling teaser and Everyone is Here E3 trailer all over again.
SQUID_IS_TERROR.gif

I'm watching the former right now, and the three biggest reactions to almost every reaction video were:

1) SMAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!
2) Wait! Is that BOTW Link?!
3) THIS YEAR?!?!

All of the announcements and the release of the game itself, all in the same year with no delays at all.
It was amazing!

And now Ultimate is just about month old.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I wish I could go back last year and experience the hype of the Inkling teaser and Everyone is Here E3 trailer all over again.
SQUID_IS_TERROR.gif

I'm watching the former right now, and the three biggest reactions to almost every reaction video were:

1) SMAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!
3) THIS YEAR?!?!

All of the announcements and the release game itself, all in the same year with no delays at all.
It was amazing!

Ah, I remember all the speculation that came from trying to figure out which silhouette belonged to which character.

Man did that turn out to be pointless.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SQUID_IS_TERROR.gif

1) SMAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!
3) THIS YEAR?!?!

All of the announcements and the release game itself, all in the same year with no delays at all.
It was amazing!

Everyone Is Here was so great.
It immediately shut down any and all cut discussions, which are by far the worst aspect of Smash speculation.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Everyone Is Here was so great.
It immediately shut down any and all cut discussions, which are by far the worst aspect of Smash speculation.
I mean, it should have shut down any cut discussions.

Unfortunately the topic was still brought up a few times pre-release, and it even popped up in the first post-release OT. It's the worst part of Smash speculation by far, but some people just love talking about it for some reason.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Unfortunately the topic was still brought up a few times pre-release, and it even popped up in the first post-release OT. It's the worst part of Smash speculation by far, but some people just love talking about it for some reason.

Well. For some reason people already were talking about the sequel to Ultimate when Ultimate wasn't even out yet. And aside from dumb "ugh why is X here, they should have cut them" comments, Everyone Is Here means every character's fans could be happy, and it did snuff out cut discussions for Ultimate itself.

I also like that so many people kept believing Ultimate was going to be a port of Wii U, even though I kept saying that the way they were marketing the game absolutely did not support that.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously we had "okay but who will be cut next time" and "if characters were cut this time, who would be cut" come up so often.
Even other topics would be cut-adjacent. Characters cut before, this character shouldn't have come back anyway, the ol' "if this was the first smash game, who would be in" which is cut discussion in a more interesting hat.

But man Everyone Is Here was such a cool moment and such a good trailer. I wish they'd have made an updated version of it after the newcomers were shown and with everyone's final animations and so on.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I failed the Classic Mode Bonus Game with none other than DeDeDe. He was just too slow on the ground and the air. Once the dark hole's suction gets you and platforms start falling, it's over.
I did a particularly poor run as Olimar as well. How do people play this character? All his attacks have such short range and duration.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this was definitely answered in the original OT, but how many battles are there in WOL? I think I'm up to like 600 ish completed, just wondering how much more there is to go.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I honestly don't understand why people hate cut speculation so much. I like it because I see it as opportunities for more exciting new stuff. Like it's focusing on how little we have to pay for something new and awesome in return. I mean, we only got 6 new full fledged fighters and 3 new stages this time at the cost of everything else returning.

I guess I also don't understand why people are so incredibly attached to the old characters. I mean, Olimar is my most played character by far in both 4 and ultimate and I talk him up far more than anyone else here, but I wouldn't be crushed if I had to change mains. There's going to be a lot of really fun characters to play even after cuts. But me even mentioning the possibility of an Olimar cut in response to Alph echo speculation had such a huge backlash, from people that probably don't ever touch Olimar anyway. It's just bizarre to me how protective people are of veteran characters.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I did a particularly poor run as Olimar as well. How do people play this character? All his attacks have such short range and duration.
Smash and Air attacks have a ton of range and duration. Down tilt isn't bad either. Side b is a very good projectile, and blue pikmin grabs are very good.

I kinda want to call him the anti-Shiek, in the sense that you always feel like you're losing to Shiek until you notice the little damage done, while you always feel like you're winning against Olimar until you notice how much damage he racked up.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I decided to look up the games Leffen played with Charizard over the weekend. The first match I see has him fighting Wario, and he uses Flare Blitz 3 times in a row while he's at 200%. He also tried to Flare Blitz into Wario's bike while it was laying on the stage.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to not trust a word of what Leffen says about Ultimate Charizard anymore, since it's clear he has *no idea* how to use Charizard in general.
Watch his match against Virium. Basically the opposite of Leffen. That's someone who can barely use the other 2 Pokemon but is very good with Charizard and essentially plays him solo and he was neck and neck with Leffen their first 2 games

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Watch his match against Virium. Basically the opposite of Leffen. That's someone who can barely use the other 2 Pokemon but is very good with Charizard and essentially plays him solo and he was neck and neck with Leffen their first 2 games
I can appreciate that Leffen is amazing with Ivysaur (I've actually come around on him since I was kinda lukewarm during the first week or so) but he seriously needs to put in more work with one of the other two Pokemon available. Squirtle hardly made a difference in his games I watched, and he knew next to nothing about Charizard.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't understand why people hate cut speculation so much. I like it because I see it as opportunities for more exciting new stuff. Like it's focusing on how little we have to pay for something new and awesome in return. I mean, we only got 6 new full fledged fighters and 3 new stages this time at the cost of everything else returning.

I guess I also don't understand why people are so incredibly attached to the old characters. I mean, Olimar is my most played character by far in both 4 and ultimate and I talk him up far more than anyone else here, but I wouldn't be crushed if I had to change mains. There's going to be a lot of really fun characters to play even after cuts. But me even mentioning the possibility of an Olimar cut in response to Alph echo speculation had such a huge backlash, from people that probably don't ever touch Olimar anyway. It's just bizarre to me how protective people are of veteran characters.

The reason why people dislike cut speculation is because it is incredibly intrusive, and people always ask for characters getting cut they simply don't like. There's rarely a rational argument involving the discussion, it's usually "I hate Jigglypuff, so Jigglypuff should be cut", or what have you. It usually ends up being nothing but shitty drive-by posts or some fairly vitriolic comments deriding characters or fans of those characters. It's annoying and it contributes nothing interesting.

Cuts are a reality that we all are aware of, but when you're looking forward to the sequel of a game, knowing that content is going to be axed isn't exactly something one looks forward to.

Also, as someone who has lost his most favourite character going from Brawl into Smash 4 - Wolf - believe me, it's not easy to realize that the character you really enjoyed playing all this time is gone now. Not being able to play Wolf made Smash 4 almost completely wither away for me (it didn't help that the game was kind of forgettable itself, but eh).

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
The reason why people dislike cut speculation is because it is incredibly intrusive, and people always ask for characters getting cut they simply don't like. There's rarely a rational argument involving the discussion, it's usually "I hate Jigglypuff, so Jigglypuff should be cut", or what have you. It usually ends up being nothing but shitty drive-by posts or some fairly vitriolic comments deriding characters or fans of those characters. It's annoying and it contributes nothing interesting.

Yep. Personally I don't have a huge attachment to any particular character (I love Nintendo's series as a whole), but the discussion it leads to is boring, overdone, and is mostly people just listing characters they don't personally like. It's also really silly trying to speculate what will be relevant for the next Smash when the current one just came out. For all we know, by the time the next Smash Bros game comes out, DK as a series is dead and StarFox is huge. I don't think anybody saw Fire Emblem becoming as big as it is when Melee/Brawl was out.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Personally I don't have a huge attachment to any particular character (I love Nintendo's series as a whole), but the discussion it leads to is boring, overdone, and is mostly people just listing characters they don't personally like. It's also really silly trying to speculate what will be relevant for the next Smash when the current one just came out. For all we know, by the time the next Smash Bros game comes out, DK as a series is dead and StarFox is huge. I don't think anybody saw Fire Emblem becoming as big as it is when Melee/Brawl was out.

Quite so.
Nobody's denying Ice Climbers is a dead series, but for all we know, some time in the next few years, Nintendo suddenly releases a revival of the series and has a huge success and suddenly everyone saying the Ice Climbers should be cut cause they're no longer relevant look incredibly foolish (as an exaggerated example, of course).
And I'd even argue that characters that aren't relevant anymore in Ultimate still have enough importance to the franchise they represent that cutting them would be a disservice.

That's not even considering that each and every character has their fans and while some players surely take the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite approach of seeing characters as nothing but an amalgamation of moves and attributes that, when combined, make a fun moveset, the selling point of Smash isn't the individual movesets, but rather the actual characters.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Cuts are a reality that we all are aware of, but when you're looking forward to the sequel of a game, knowing that content is going to be axed isn't exactly something one looks forward to.

Also, as someone who has lost his most favourite character going from Brawl into Smash 4 - Wolf - believe me, it's not easy to realize that the character you really enjoyed playing all this time is gone now. Not being able to play Wolf made Smash 4 almost completely wither away for me (it didn't help that the game was kind of forgettable itself, but eh).
I lost my main with Roy missing out in Brawl.
And now that he's back I get to sit through people begging for him to be cut. :/

Yeah, cut speculation kills the Smash hype cycle for me.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody's denying Ice Climbers is a dead series, but for all we know, some time in the next few years, Nintendo suddenly releases a revival of the series and has a huge success and suddenly everyone saying the Ice Climbers should be cut cause they're no longer relevant look incredibly foolish (as an exaggerated example, of course).
Can you really call this an exaggerated example when this is basically what happened to Kid Icarus?

After Brawl released, if you told people that there should be more KI characters, they'd call you crazy. And I saw more than one person saying that Pit shouldn't stick around for too long because his series was dead. But as soon as KIU was announced, suddenly it became a foregone conclusion that Palutena should get in at minimum.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Empty_Roster.png

Echoes with low priority

No Wonder Red? Booooooo!

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Man I've got an issue with inputs. I've noticed since the game has been out that I constantly input wrong to the right. I feel like the slightest input to the right will turn my character around like B-Reversing or Forward-Airing when I intended to Back Air.

I can't believe how well I've been doing despite this but it is super annoying. I swear I input a quick tap of the stick to dash and my character just steadily walks.

I've always felt like my inputs weren't always being properly read ever since Brawl and into 3DS/Wii U but this is something different all together.

This is just me right and my Gamecube controller? I do have a bunch more that I more or less retired but I will pull them out and see if I get the same results.

You're not only one. Maybe you should try to set your stick sensitivity to high and see what happens.

I have few weird errors like sometime when I tried to recover and it occasionally turns my character to face the opposite direction.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I always find certain cut discussion to be amusing because apparently "such and such is a dead series, the character shouldn't come back" only applies to characters that person doesn't like

Mention that F-Zero is deader than dead and Captain Falcon is an easy cut from Smash, and you get "no way, they'd never cut Falcon, he's a staple of Smash!!"

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game, but honestly my #1 complaint is team battles in solo quick play. Absolutely no reason to have this mixed in with free for all.

Nov 8, 2017
I love this game, but honestly my #1 complaint is team battles in solo quick play. Absolutely no reason to have this mixed in with free for all.

I'm finding that when I want to do 2v2 team battles I wind up in a 4 player FFA a third of the time, sometimes up to half. It's kind of annoying as I prefer the team battle. I'd rather wait a little longer than play all these FFAs.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
going to my first ultimate tournament this thursday. going straight mk.

my region has an amazing pichu and an amazing mewtwo and I feel like mk struggles with those two pokefucks

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I generally don't have problems against Inkling as Dark Samus. I can mostly just hang back away from her and remain in the air a lot to avoid the roller.

But Fox... Fox is not a fun fight for Dark Samus...

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
January 21 would be a great release date for Piranha Plant. It's close to February, and it's Smash Bros.' 20th anniversary. (Piranha Plant technically debuted in the first Smash Bros.)

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I could see there being a 20th anniversary Spirit Event containing new Spirits of the original cast using their Smash 64 artwork.

sL119Hv.png

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I could see there being a 20th anniversary Spirit Event containing new Spirits of the original cast using their Smash 64 artwork.

sL119Hv.png
Yeah we talked about possibilities in the last thread. I'd love these

If absolutely nothing else I'd love these to be added
194px-SSBCast.jpg

Smash_Bros..png