• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Century Smash with everyone (in the base roster).

Best time was 1:56.20 with Pokémon Trainer.

What's your best time, Smash Era?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'll never get over the absurd visuals.
Dviz_4xU8AEnrBN

Dviz3E3UYAAAXQw
Du7hazaU8AEBgXg
Dvi0GhzUYAATti8
Dvi01QHUcAADxqo
Dvi1A6uUwAIm6o-
Dvk3HijUYAA5DkI
DwDPygMUcAAwHba
DwDQGOVU0AEmqA6
DwDP7aaU0AAQaEV
Dvi0O70UUAA28mX

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I have to make my daily "I hate team battles in quickplay" post.

Why does a free for all rematch directly go into team battle? My team was winning but my dumbass teammate SDs meaning he automatically lost two stocks so I am left two on one. When I rematch does it go back to free for all? Nope, team battle again.

I do not get 4 player matches when I set it to 1v1 or 1v1 when I set it to free for all, I have no idea why it wants to go to team battles so often. Team battles are not fun at all with randoms since you need some degree of coordination which you cannot pull off without any sort of communication for synergistic character picks. It just devolves into "I hope my teammate doesn't die before I do."

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how do I pay footsies in this game. I'm not really sure how to get in. I'm playing Mario and think I'm relying on jumping on and spamming down a. Other than that I just run in and do a slide kick. Neither seem any good.

The lack of structure bothers me a bit, in other fighting games the options are clearer defined. Here it seems a bit random.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So how do I pay footsies in this game. I'm not really sure how to get in. I'm playing Mario and think I'm relying on jumping on and spamming down a. Other than that I just run in and do a slide kick. Neither seem any good.

The lack of structure bothers me a bit, in other fighting games the options are clearer defined. Here it seems a bit random.
I think this might help? It helped me get over my "roll around all the time for any movement" phase that was really holding me back

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this might help? It helped me get over my "roll around all the time for any movement" phase that was really holding me back

OK great thanks for this. I'll take a look.

I'm trying to me dodge a bit and wait for them to do a move with lots of recovery and then punish. Sitting at around 50k gsp with Mario which is rubbish I know.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I doubt that's going to happen at this point. They've been completely legal for a while now, and even with their most optimal movesets they're (well, Swordfighter and Gunner, RIP in peace Brawler) only high-tier at best.
Yeah at absolute worst (which is highly unlikely) we'd just get 1111 Miis which are actually pretty good overall in this game honestly (at least mid tier).

Which Swordfighter are you using btw? I'm liking 3231 lately. Thinking Gale Strike is a bit overrated even if it is very good in a lot of matchups.

Been highly debating just doing 3 Links + Lonk (Swordfighter) for the fun of it for tourney.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Anyone else really hate playing against miis?
They seem to be the spammiest characters in the game and the people who play them online tend to be the most annoying (no offense)
Just played a sword fighter that was just spamming the hurricane thing, right after facing a Gunner spamming the missiles, both which do 15+ damage per hit.
Not to mention, theres no cohesiveness with their designs and movesets, because they're damn miis.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The only issue I have facing Miis is that a few of Sword Fighter's costumes make it hard for me to judge his range.

Notably, I struggle against the broom on the maid costume

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else really hate playing against miis?
They seem to be the spammiest characters in the game and the people who play them online tend to be the most annoying (no offense)
Just played a sword fighter that was just spamming the hurricane thing, right after facing a Gunner spamming the missiles, both which do 15+ damage per hit.

If you're losing against spam, you can only blame yourself. Notably, both tornado and missile have a lot of startup so shield more or jump over them.

The only issue I have facing Miis is that a few of Sword Fighter's costumes make it hard for me to judge his range.

Notably, I struggle against the broom on the maid costume

Yeah this is why I don't blame TOs only allowing Guest Miis.

Though I wish more major tourneys would at least allow the default Miis from WoL (people have recreated them on Reddit).

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
If you're losing against spam, you can only blame yourself.
I won. But it was a very unfun series of games.
Those hurricanes and missiles are harder to deal with when spammed than any other projectile in the game, barring maybe Simon's/richters (which I find tolerable personally)

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah at absolute worst (which is highly unlikely) we'd just get 1111 Miis which are actually pretty good overall in this game honestly (at least mid tier).

Which Swordfighter are you using btw? I'm liking 3231 lately. Thinking Gale Strike is a bit overrated even if it is very good in a lot of matchups.

Been highly debating just doing 3 Links + Lonk (Swordfighter) for the fun of it for tourney.

If you're not using Gale Strike you're not playing Mii Swordfighter optimally lol. It's a ridiculously good pressuring tool that combos into multiple kill confirms, allows you to control horizontal space, create ledge-trap situations, and grant additional edge-guard options. It's by far his best special in general.

I use 1332, but 1331 is fine for match-ups where a Mario Cape isn't warranted (like with some sword characters that don't have projectiles). Chakram is ridiculously good because it both essentially acts as a R.O.B. laser (that you can keep throwing over and over!) and as a hard punish option because the light throw allows you to combo into anything, including f-smash. It can even gimp, or at the very least make landing Gale Strike off-stage much easier to land if it disrupts a recovery. Up-angled Chakrams are really good at catching jumps, too.

Yeah this is why I don't blame TOs only allowing Guest Miis.

Though I wish more major tourneys would at least allow the default Miis from WoL (people have recreated them on Reddit).
I think TOs also allow the default Miis if they're unlocked. I mean, it's literally what they look like in the official render, so there shouldn't be any issue there.

By the way, for all the defaults I use these voice options:

Brawler - 10 Low
Swordfighter - 5 Normal
Gunner - 8 High

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Using a voice on Miis feels weird to me, so I don't do it

I generally only play the WoL defaults anyway, other than Brawler, because Brawler's defaults are bad

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

I generally only play the WoL defaults anyway, other than Brawler, because Brawler's defaults are bad
I like how the Miis have more individual voice clips than every newcomer/previously absent veteran combined lol.

Also, I didn't just choose these voices haphazardly. It took me a while (there are technically 36 voices to sample through...), but these all feel very appropriate to me. It's funny since the even numbered voice clips are supposed to be female, yet voice 10 sounds so good on default Mii Brawler.

(Anyone that wants to troll online with Miis should use voice 12. I laughed for a good few seconds when I first heard it.)

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh, one more thing that I like about Gale Strike is that it shield pokes rather easily, meaning opponents will usually either need to parry it or jump over it (giving you a positional advantage). I'll post a match I did on stream yesterday when it's up on Youtube, but you can see me shield poke a Wario with like a 70% healthy shield in the second game.

Oh, and it can even 2-frame. Man, this move is soooooo good haha.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not using Gale Strike you're not playing Mii Swordfighter optimally lol. It's a ridiculously good pressuring tool that combos into multiple kill confirms, allows you to control horizontal space, create ledge-trap situations, and grant additional edge-guard options. It's by far his best special in general.
I'm aware of how good it is dude LOL (I know it can 2 frame, pokes shields, confirms into upB3/uair, etc), but messing around with his neutral special 3, it has ridiculous kill power and its anti air hitbox is amazing. Been messing with it a lot in matchups where Gale Strike isn't as useful. You should mess with it. I obviously know Gale Strike is the best optimal special but I think people are sleeping on some of his other specials.

And meant Chakram (3) for my original post. I use Chakram, haha. I usually use 1331(2 for projectile characters) as well.

Also fun fact: The chakram and Gale Strike used to go full screen before the day 1 patch. I get why they didn't let him keep those, it gave him better zoning tools than Gunner.

I actually use:
Brawler - Voice 1, Gunner Voice 2, Sword Fighter Voice 3 for my Miis.
Voice 1 is too good on Brawler because giving him the command grab gives him a hilarious "ORRRYAAAA" that tilts people instantly.

Optimal Gunner should actually use no voice since her Explosive Flame like sideB is pretty similar in function/strength to Palutena's but has no voice clip if you turn voices off. A great alternative to missile imo.

Brawler's defaults aren't that bad, but Flip Kick gives him a much needed recovery mixup tool. UpB1 has better vertical distance than his other recoveries, and OOS is also very useful, can kill similar to Ike/Chrom's upBs.... and DownB1 actually kills really early and can be utilized similar to Yoshi's downB. Shotput hits at an angle that is useful for sniping character's recoveries, and his sideB1 is good for reading tech options to kill early as well. Generally I go 1112 or 1312 if I feel like using his command grab (gets rid of another kill option for him though since he has issues killing)

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey FSLink and Poltergust, can you bless me with some quick knowledge on how to play Mario? You seem to have an insane knowledge of the move, such as what's safe etc.

What would you say is a need to know about Mario?

Thanks!

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Hey FSLink and Poltergust, can you bless me with some quick knowledge on how to play Mario? You seem to have an insane knowledge of the move, such as what's safe etc.

What would you say is a need to know about Mario?

Thanks!

He's pretty similar to Smash 4 Mario but you don't fish for grabs as much since he doesn't really have as much guaranteed stuff out of throws. Watch like, Izaw's Art of Mario video on or something for Smash 4 (ignore the grab/utilt combo stuff) and work on your movement for Ultimate. He's a very fundamentals character and there really isn't anything too crazy about him.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's pretty similar to Smash 4 Mario but you don't fish for grabs as much since he doesn't really have as much guaranteed stuff out of throws. Watch like, Izaw's Art of Mario video on or something for Smash 4 and work on your movement for Ultimate. He's a very fundamentals character and there really isn't anything too crazy about him.
OK good to know I can use some smash 4 resource.

I think that's why I'm maining him at the mo, it's not that I really want to, it just gives me the highest chance of winning and that's what I'm really interested in.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You know, if they added a Federation Marine costume for Gunner, it'd basically be like having another Metroid rep, since the proportions are the same and there's plenty of customs that would work perfectly.

metroidprimefederationforce1280jpg-7b17ff_400w.jpg

Bonus points if the costume changes color based on your Mii's color

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
There was once a post in the old OT how many songs they were for each stage/franchise. Does anybody here have the list at hand and could post it here?

I'm asking since songs have stopped to appear in the shop, so I have to be close to completing them. I think there was also a list how to get some certain songs that had some special unlock requirements.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
There was once a post in the old OT how many songs they were for each stage/franchise. Does anybody here have the list at hand and could post it here?

I'm asking since songs have stopped to appear in the shop, so I have to be close to completing them. I think there was also a list how to get some certain songs that had some special unlock requirements.
Your sound test will look like the following:
876 songs in total
Smash - 113 (not all of these are in my music)
Mario - 91
Mario Kart - 15
DK - 28
Zelda - 45
Metroid - 25
Yoshi - 14
Kirby - 38
Star Fox - 18
Pokemon - 33
F-Zero - 26
Earthbound - 14
Fire Emblem - 41
Game & Watch - 2
Kid Icarus - 13
Wario - 11
Pikmin - 14
Animal Crossing - 21 (counts the 6 KK Slider performance songs, stages only have 15)
Wii Fit - 10
Punch-Out - 5
Xenoblade - 11
Splatoon - 26
Metal Gear - 11
Sonic - 20
Mega Man - 31
Pac-Man - 11
Street Fighter - 38 (counts the 2 Player Select themes that are not available on the stage)
Fian Fantasy - 2
Bayonetta - 11
Castlevania - 34
Other - 104

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks a lot! I am at 875 and it seems like I'm missing one from the Fire Emblem franchise.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Is it normal to lose 2 stock in the Balloon Fight level when dragged down by the fish? Just cost me the game in a 3 stock match when I had 2 stock left and that surprised me.

I've always felt that I die too quickly on that stage but never looked into it

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Here's this weekend's event

It's different, but not really terribly interesting. The Spirit Board is the slowest way to early SP, and doubling the paltry amounts you get doesn't really help (oh boy, 40 instead of 20!).

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Here's this weekend's event

It's different, but not really terribly interesting. The Spirit Board is the slowest way to early SP, and doubling the paltry amounts you get doesn't really help (oh boy, 40 instead of 20!).

It builds up fast when you're just clearing out spirits. It'll add up

But no one is going to grind spirits here. The dojo exists and snacks are right there. Arguably double exp is more annoying since if you're using lower leveled spirits its to keep power parity

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
I hope technical support is welcome here.

Has anyone had any issues using the Gamecube controller with this game? I tested my controller with Mario Kart and DK TP, seemed fine. I can navigate the menu fine in Smash but once a match begins I can not move my character or jump, only A and B work.

Moreover, when I go to controller settings I can test the controls and there I can at least jump. Makes no sense to me that I can navigate the menus but can not play.

I just deleted the game and reinstalled and downloaded the patch and still same issue.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with those anyway? I unlocked one and couldn't find any stage that it actually plays on, do they just exist to listen to in the Music menu and that's it?
I am pretty sure at least one plays in the World Tour area of World of LIght
I am not sure if both play there. Like if it choose randomly or switches between rounds.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
how to beat me online: knock me into the air and wait for me to flail around and take 100+ damage before I finally land.
Juking in situations like that is one of the few things I feel I'm good at in this game.

how to beat me online: Throw out random slow strong moves and wait for me to idiotically walk right into it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That 'Beat Century Smash with Ken using only Special Moves' challenge is so BS. There's always some random item or something that comes in and fucks everything up at the last minute.

I'm also terrible enough that the 'Beat Snake's 5.0 Intensity Classic Mode' challenge is nearly insurmountable to me. I get to the 'mob smash' stage and always end up dying.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
That 'Beat Century Smash with Ken using only Special Moves' challenge is so BS. There's always some random item or something that comes in and fucks everything up at the last minute.

I'm also terrible enough that the 'Beat Snake's 5.0 Intensity Classic Mode' challenge is nearly insurmountable to me. I get to the 'mob smash' stage and always end up dying.
You don't have to start at 5.0 for the Snake challenge, just have to end above it, if that helps.

Ken's challenge is really annoying. I still don't have it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You don't have to start at 5.0 for the Snake challenge, just have to end above it, if that helps.

Ken's challenge is really annoying. I still don't have it.

Ah, thanks for that tip. I can easily beat stuff at around Levels 5 or 6 but after that it's a total crapshoot if I win or not. I'm awful at this game lol

I think I'll just use a hammer on that challenge, then. Too many times have I gotten to 10 left and then a POW block or bomb comes in and ruins everything.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
battle 1: 7 minute, 3 stock, free for al (happened to be 3 players). Hey cool, I'll do a few rounds in thsi room
battle 2: 3 minute, 3 stock, 4 player team battle

but