• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Only hammer I used so far was the Ken special one, that's the kind of gimmick no one wants to actually do.

I finished off the online wall earlier, no hammers required.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm surprised that everyone vetoed the Ken challenge of all things.

I thought it was pretty easy. Up B Side B all day.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Goddammit, just did quite well with Chrom's Classic Mode but because I got KO'd once I only got to 9.7 instead of 9.9.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find Ken's too bad, but I also knew to avoid accidental wake up attacks while doing it.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
This 9.9 challenge is stressing me out. Wish it was easier and the amount of difficulty isn't randomized. Fuck that
the amount of difficulty isn't totally random, it's based on performance during the battle. Generally speaking, finishing fights faster and with lower damage will give more than taking a long time or taking a lot of damage

Plum

May 31, 2018
So what's the maths behind exploration activities? In the Toadette one it feels like it's just random. I can put in one Lvl 99 legendary of each type and get 1,800 but then do the same with different Spirits and only get 800.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
the rest of the challenges are pretty easy, so I had a bunch of hammers leftover so I just hammered ones I was impatient with (200 online games) or couldn't be bothered (Robin jab kill and Ken challenge)
I found Robin's super easy (thanks to SSD and walk-offs).

Only other hammer I used was the "Eat 5 recovery items in a single run of Classic" (because that sounds really annoying waiting for stuff to spawn if you don't know what Kirby's Classic mode entails, which I didn't).

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Can somebody give me some advice how to tackle the Robin challenge the best and easiest way?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Man, I wish the Mii Fighter images weren't so horribly low-res. I get that they can't render every Mii you make at the stupid-large resolutions the regular character portraits are rendered at but surely some anti-aliasing and a slightly higher resolution could work...

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Man, I wish the Mii Fighter images weren't so horribly low-res. I get that they can't render every Mii you make at the stupid-large resolutions the regular character portraits are rendered at but surely some anti-aliasing and a slightly higher resolution could work...
They almost seem lower res than they were in Smash 4...

I actually wouldn't have minded if they just used the blanked out face renders they use for the Vs loading screen

Plum

May 31, 2018

I actually wouldn't have minded if they just used the blanked out face renders they use for the Vs loading screen

Yeah, I created a 'Nia' (from Xenoblade Chronicles 2) Mii Brawler and the appeal is kinda lost seeing how horrible her portrait looks. I still like creating the Miis, though, I seem to be a lot less negative on them than most other people I've seen.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

The problem with that is that you wouldn't know what they looked like unless you remembered how you made them (or gave them the names of the characters they're supposed to be).

Probably not a big issue if you're the one that made them, probably a huge hassle if you're a guest.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I've used all of my hammers on the Online page because I'd rather not pay for online play.

I'm knocking out the remaining ones through the free trial.

Goddammit, just did quite well with Chrom's Classic Mode but because I got KO'd once I only got to 9.7 instead of 9.9.
Stock up on Classic Tickets ahead of time, play well on the earlier stages so that you can get to 9.9 relatively early (before starting the boss stage at minimum), and use the tickets if and only if you've already hit 9.9 during the run.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have no idea how to beat Cloud with any character. He has so many cheap shots I feel like. His seems like a free kill, his moves have crazy priority, and he's fast with long range. Any tips?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
For summoning spirits, domthey all use unique cores? (Apart from the grab/defense/attack cores)?

I want to summon, but I'm worried I will waste a core.

Are any characters only available via summon?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
For summoning spirits, domthey all use unique cores? (Apart from the grab/defense/attack cores)?

I want to summon, but I'm worried I will waste a core.

Are any characters only available via summon?
A lot of characters are only available via summon. Most need at least one unique core, many need two.

Some of the summons, such as Ho-oh, are available in World of LIght.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just made a Spirit design template if you wanna make one of your own:

7GitAkK.png

I know it's not exactly the most well-made but it should do the job!

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'm surprised that everyone vetoed the Ken challenge of all things.

I thought it was pretty easy. Up B Side B all day.
It's super easy to finish off the mob without touching the attack button, but items or get up attacks make you have to do the whole thing over again and it's hard to tell until you finish if that happened or not.

Does anyone know if it works if they hurt themselves with items? I thought that was the only reason I failed and why I gave up on it, but maybe I just never noticed a getup attack or being the one to set off an item.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It's super easy to finish off the mob without touching the attack button, but items or get up attacks make you have to do the whole thing over again and it's hard to tell until you finish if that happened or not.

Does anyone know if it works if they hurt themselves with items? I thought that was the only reason I failed and why I gave up on it, but maybe I just never noticed a getup attack or being the one to set off an item.
I'm pretty sure I cleared that challenge even after they KO'd each other with items.

I just disabled the attack and grab buttons to be extra careful.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not that I have seen so far. I'm not all the way through it yet, but I'm pretty far. I beat the first two bosses and am at the part where
if you win two many fights against light enemies it makes the dark stronger, and vice versa.

I'm not there yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is the 'easist' primary legend to get is? My roster is 3 Stars. But it feels like I've run into a situation.where I can't get any legends

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not there yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is the 'easist' primary legend to get is? My roster is 3 Stars. But it feels like I've run into a situation.where I can't get any legends

My first one was trevor, who I won on the spirit board. My second was baby Mario, also from the spirit board who was a level 3 that I upgraded to level 4. That's the easiest way to do it. Find level 3 (and even some level 2) spirits that will upgrade to level 4.

And make sure you get your ACEs all the way to level 99 and play against weaknesses.

Get the gym unlocked if you haven't yet and use it to level up characters for you while you're sleeping, at work/school, etc.

2 star characters that enhance to 4 star:

Young Zelda
Skull kid
Dark suit (Metroid)
Nightmare's Power Orb - maybe the easiest to find? I think I see this all the time.
Keldeo-original form
Diancie
Elincia
Medussa
Bulborb
Zero (zero buster)
Mumkhar
dj Octavio (can be summoned)
Frog & Snake
Dr. Kawashima

Source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/faqs/76708/spirit-list

Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
The douchebags that set the 3 stock 3 minute ruleset shouldn't be allowed online.

Literally 90% of my encounters with them revolves around them running away with their last stock at high percentages while I'm trying to finish things up then waiting to luck out on sudden death.

I have no idea how to beat Cloud with any character. He has so many cheap shots I feel like. His seems like a free kill, his moves have crazy priority, and he's fast with long range. Any tips?

Clouds biggest weakness is his poor recovery options. It can be easy to gimp him if you play around edges.

Then again, his neutral game is too strong against some characters, who are you using mainly?

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been having so much fun playing as Wario lately! Thinking he could actually end up being my main. Going through Classic mode is really opening my eyes to characters that I would otherwise be just looking over. (as in the past)

Question, though: Is using his bike a viable way to try to edgeguard?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Just had probably the worst match I've ever played online

Me as Dark Samus vs a laggy Duck Hunt on Hazardless Fourside

He just camped the entire game and I couldn't approach because the stage is set up weird and perfect for Duck Hunt's shenanigans.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played a dreadful Duck Hunt last night as well. Camped on the extreme ends of the stage and would just spam the can, frisbee and cowboy summons. Fucked him up in Sudden Death though, thank goodness.

Fucker had like 2.9 million GSP too.