• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
What happened to that Ness player that won the early smash 4 tournament we had on gaf? did he make it here? I remember karsticles used to be pretty active as well back in the day, and someone with a Jinbei avatar. I never have posted a lot (and switched names since then) but I remember having a good time with this community. it would be cool to host one of these tournaments again (though I imagine that was a lot of work).

Yeah we can never go back to Smash 4.

Oh yeah this looks really weird now.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Had a truly awful online experience last night when I thought it was fine before then
My internet is rock solid so it was just a matter of being matched with people with bad connections, for the entirety of the 2 hours I played. What a shit show
Got disconnected once too and got a warning for it

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Played my first 4p match online today. Guess I've been lucky so far to not get these.

It wasn't a FFA, it was 3 stock

After playing a bit with Ivysaur, trying to play Ivysaur like normal, I got fed up, hit Down Special and went full on FFA smash attack scrub with Charizard and managed to make it to second place, and probably could have won if I played more careful after it got down to 1v1 (I should have switched back to Ivysaur)

And then the next game I got matched 1v1 with the winner from the 4p match. We went to her stage choice, which was hazardless Mushroom Kingdom II. I footstooled her into a hole and she couldn't get out (she was Peach) and then she rage quit. Like... it was your stage! If you don't want jank, don't pick hazardless stages!

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
What happened to that Ness player that won the early smash 4 tournament we had on gaf? did he make it here? I remember karsticles used to be pretty active as well back in the day, and someone with a Jinbei avatar. I never have posted a lot (and switched names since then) but I remember having a good time with this community. it would be cool to host one of these tournaments again (though I imagine that was a lot of work).

Oh yeah this looks really weird now.

You are talking about Shamrock I believe. The insane Ness and Lucas player. Haven't seen him in ages. I don't think he came over. Karsticles isn't here either but I did add him to my Switch friends list. But because I don't frequent Neogaf I haven't talked to him. If he is there I will go see him.

As for Jimbei avatar that was me. I'm still playing semi competitively but except for one person I haven't played anyone here yet. By the time I found the discord it seemed to have dried up.

I'm happy to play anyone here as often as I can. I'm mostly a 1vs1 player but I enjoy Free4Alls as well.

5936-4189-3002

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Went online yesterday after a few days of not play and dropped from 2+ million to like, 500k. It's okay I'm not crying...

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of prefer playing team battles online. I only like playing 1 v 1 with my cousin.

The Nintendo Online phone app is still dumb, but the voice chat works

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Also I notice that while Melee is faster I think the knockback looks slower in that game as well. Maybe it's just me though

E6AyJsh.gif

scRggY2.gif

i don't know

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I fought like 14 different chroms today in 1 vs 1 -_-

Getting sick of Chrom already

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I wish people would stick around and give me a set in Quick Match. My Ridley put in some work today and I could tell the people on the other end didn't see it coming. I won the majority of my matches against some really good people. It's not like I stomped them bad, most matches were pretty even but I imagine since I threatened their GSP they didn't even want to find out if they could take me.

However one Mario stuck around for fight after fight even when I was clearly the better player. He wanted to test his metal so I let him try for 4 matches before I moved on. Unless time is really an issue I wish most players could offer a courtesy similar to that.

Played a Zero Suit Samus who completely speed blitzed me with a near zero to death stock. I kinda realized what was going on, adapted and pulled ahead for the win. She didn't see that off stage Down Air coming from Ridley at all. If the blast zone floor is low enough Ridley can catch people down their recovering and still fly on back without a suicide.

Which one of yawl want to slap leather with me? I need to get better and I'm sure some of you will throw me for a loop.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I wish people would stick around and give me a set in Quick Match. My Ridley put in some work today and I could tell the people on the other end didn't see it coming. I won the majority of my matches against some really good people. It's not like I stomped them bad, most matches were pretty even but I imagine since I threatened their GSP they didn't even want to find out if they could take me.

However one Mario stuck around for fight after fight even when I was clearly the better player. He wanted to test his metal so I let him try for 4 matches before I moved on. Unless time is really an issue I wish most players could offer a courtesy similar to that.

Played a Zero Suit Samus who completely speed blitzed me with a near zero to death stock. I kinda realized what was going on, adapted and pulled ahead for the win. She didn't see that off stage Down Air coming from Ridley at all. If the blast zone floor is low enough Ridley can catch people down their recovering and still fly on back without a suicide.

Which one of yawl want to slap leather with me? I need to get better and I'm sure some of you will throw me for a loop.

I'm not particularly great but I've got like 30-40 mins if you wanna play?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
lol exactly 40 minutes later I manage to see this. But it would have been no good anyway. My family is completely awake all on their stupid smart devices. Despite being wired if everyone is streaming it would make the connection bad. Maybe next time.

Hahaha no worries, I was checking the thread to see if you were around. I only play at night because I'm wireless and late at night is the only time the connection is really good. I am literally about to hit the hay though but yeah, another time.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished Century Smash with everyone (in the base roster).

Best time was 1:56.20 with Pokémon Trainer.

What's your best time, Smash Era?
Darn, so close. I'm at 1:56:36 with Ike. I still haven't finished it with all characters though. Maybe I'll find one that does better. My second best is with Peach at 2:08. I don't even really play any of these characters, but I do play more Pokemon Trainer and my best time for him is 2:34.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my internet is good enough to play online :( I tried a bunch of matches and it just doesn't feel anything like playing offline. Captain Falcon in particular just didn't respond to my input fast enough, it was really hard to play as him, I couldn't land any air attacks or follow up anything. I switched to DeDeDe and had a lot more luck, I think because it's harder to reflect Gordos when there's a delay.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of fighting Fire Emblem characters and Palutena in elite smash, K. Rool and Ganon just aren't good enough for that matchup if the other player is even close to the same skill as me.

I wish we could change characters without having to back out of matchmaking, because I'm doing really well vs. those characters with Ness.

Dec 1, 2017
I'm okay in neutral and attack, but I suck at defending. What do you do to get out of a chase or a juggle (eg. how do you fast fall after you get hit)?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In my time online, Lucina is probably my most fought character
And Shantae the most used icon.

Super Smash Waifus Ultimate confirmed.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I hate Cruel Smash, as soon as they combo you are done, your best option is to pick a character who can counter.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I hate Cruel Smash, as soon as they combo you are done, your best option is to pick a character who can counter.
Cruel Smash is the same as it's always been

"Find a cheese strat to get the milestone/challenge and then never look back"

I found a strategy online of using Lucario's recovery to get them to suicide. Got my 5 kills for the challenge (3) + milestone (5) and never looked at it again.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Cruel Smash is the same as it's always been

"Find a cheese strat to get the milestone/challenge and then never look back"

I found a strategy online of using Lucario's recovery to get them to suicide. Got my 5 kills for the challenge (3) + milestone (5) and never looked at it again.

Yeah, it was always rough, I already did the three, but maybe I will give that a try.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm having trouble playing against King Krool. He's edge cheese with cannon and crown is annoying.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
9-Volt & 18-Volt can fuck right off. What is this bullshit!! It's cheating. Why it's me only who gets damage from the assist!

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I never noticed how much Bowser's colors changed between games. He looks like a bootleg now. I think this is closer to how he is in Melee & Brawl?

Weirdly his render uses the old colors
250px-Bowser_SSBU.png

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Been playing around with Ken and I wanted to ask y'all a question. Any good guides on how to play as him? I've played with him a bunch in training room so I think I got some good stuff happening there. But I am a cautions man and I'd like to see/hear a few other opinions.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
How are you supposed to fight Ganon? In all the times I've faced him in Classic Mode, I got game over twice except on the Toon Link route where you get allies. He's too difficult to jump over and by the time that happens, he flips around. Link is one of my worst scores because of this.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
How are you supposed to fight Ganon? In all the times I've faced him in Classic Mode, I got game over twice except on the Toon Link route where you get allies. He's too difficult to jump over and by the time that happens, he flips around. Link is one of my worst scores because of this.

I just double jump and directional air dodge. Works with any character. Ganon is very slow and you can easily get one or two forward smashes in.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was an "only matchmake with people on wired connection" option. Would rather play with items on than have a game with insane lag.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mii Swordfighter has served me well, but looking at my characters played list is depressing, with like 99% Mii Swordfighter and a drop of Bayonetta and Zero Suit Samus. So the first suggestion to this is the character I will be next...