• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been sleeping hard on Roy just because Chrom is the new hotness. Turns out Roy's still my boy

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I was Today(actually Yesterday) years old when I found out that the Carmen Sandiego originated as a video game series. I'm now an advocate for Carmen Sandiego for Smash Bros.

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I unlock main Spirit that has power level 1000 (500 attack / 500 defense) is there a way to determine how good that Spirit is when it is upgraded to level 99?

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any tips on how to consistent short hop using the joycons? I only hit it about fifty percent and less if I'm trying to move forward.

Also, how do I go about using a short hop bair? That seems to be a very frequently used tech by the pros but I can't get a bair out when facing someone. Even if I turn round, I end up turning back around in the air and throwing out a fair. Also when I do get a bair out it whiffs over the enemie's head.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Can spirit bonuses be removed from amiibo? Added a lvl 99 raiden to a lvl 50 FP I had trained to see what would happen, but I prefer it without the increased stats. Is my only option to retrain from scratch?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If I unlock main Spirit that has power level 1000 (500 attack / 500 defense) is there a way to determine how good that Spirit is when it is upgraded to level 99?
There's probably charts online, but in-game no. The star rating will give you a general ballpark for where their stats end up at max level (with 1-stars being less than, say, 5k, and 4-stars being at or near 10k or beyond and the others in the middle.)

It also varies a bit based on dojo training, character synergies (spirits and characters from the same series get a boost), and of course their affinity against the opposing type of the opponent.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
take the stats at Lv. 1

If it's a Novice, multiply by 5
If it's Advanced, multiply by 4
If it's an Ace, multiply by 3
If it's a Legend, multiply by 2.5

Last edited:

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's probably charts online, but in-game no. The star rating will give you a general ballpark for where their stats end up at max level (with 1-stars being less than, say, 5k, and 4-stars being at or near 10k or beyond and the others in the middle.)

It also varies a bit based on dojo training, character synergies (spirits and characters from the same series get a boost), and of course their affinity against the opposing type of the opponent.

Thanks a lot!

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good third party cheaper switch pro controller knockoffs? 60-80 a controller is way too much.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I don't understand online gaming, as I rarely play online until Smash, but this happened.

Match in four player. They all beat me, then proceed to spend the remaining time repeatedly ducking, taunting and jumping around, not fighting, until the time expired. I don't understand? Is there some joke? How is that fun?

And then another match where a fellow beats the rest of us in 4 player smash like three times in a row. Then he loses one badly (as in, out really quicky, first one to lose), we suddenly get a "connection error". Does that mean he quit in anger and it ruins the entire match connection?

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good reason why Squad Strike isn't more commonly used by the competitive community? And Stage Morph, too. I get why the Final Smash Meter isn't used, but what's wrong with Squad Strike and Stage Morph? They would make things a lot more interesting, at least.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good reason why Squad Strike isn't more commonly used by the competitive community? And Stage Morph, too. I get why the Final Smash Meter isn't used, but what's wrong with Squad Strike and Stage Morph? They would make things a lot more interesting, at least.
I'd argue the following are the main reasons, descending in order from most to least important. It's 90% time/scheduling considerations, but the rest doesn't help

1. It takes longer, not much but every bit counts, especially considering how big most of these early tournaments have been and how they have already been going longer due to the large legal stage lists, miis,names/controller setups, etc. all taking a little bit longer than normal.
2. People want to play doubles more than Squad Strike/stage morph so if there are time/space considerations they will be the first thing to go
3. Squad Strike makes matches more likely to feel unfair, i.e. unfamiliarity with more obscure character matchups making for odd situations that can lead to players feeling shortchanged, also SDs feel more significant in it than in normal tournament play. If you're going to drown in pools losing to surprising situations often adds insult to injury for players. What makes things more interesting for spectators often makes them less satisfying for the players involved
4. Stage Morph is mostly due to a combo of people feeling salty about the lag that can take place when the stage transitions and because no one's quite sure how to make it work with choosing stages.
5. Lack of meaningful strategy to either mode. This is somewhat of a chicken and egg situation, but players haven't really come up with much in terms of unique counterpicks and strategy yet, such as what kind of characters to pick for your 1st/2nd/3rd picks, how to pick 1st/2nd stages for stage morph etc., basically making them only marginally different to normal tournament play. There's a reasonable argument that if these things don't lead to players playing them significantly differently then how much do they really add?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Stage Morph can also get pretty wacky at the best of times. It's not terrible in terms of lag but i can happen and I've seen casual matches get screwed over because of how it spawns/despawns things while shifting stages.
I'd also argue that, with the competitive stage list, stage morph would also be kind of boring? Like, if you really want to play Pokemon Stadium you are probably going to pikc Pokemon Stadium and then Kalos. Or other similar-ish layouts.
There's also nothing stopping you from going double battlefield or double final destination. In fact if yo uwant final destination you would have to pick double final destination. That's just obnoxious in its own right, but more to the point its boring and accomplishes nothing but an awkward transition 1-2 minutes into the match.

Squad Strike makes everything more complicated by the fact it'd probably still be 3 stock and you don't know who will go out first and also you can pick multiple of the same thing. It's needlessly adding that complexity for no real gain? I guess it'd be fine as a side tournament, I think they did similar things at previous smash events, but I can see why they would want to keep it simple.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
So uh... I beat someone online and gained 0 GSP. I noticed that at the very end of the match there was a big hiccup. Did they quit? lol

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Won a 1v1 against a superior-but-annoying Cloud as Ganondorf. He kept abusing the side-B against me because I couldn't figure out a way out. I managed to get him down to 1 stock on my last stock at 150% and he got cocky and tried to spike me while I was offstage and flubbed his recovery, so I won without even touching him on the third stock.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Squad Strike makes everything more complicated by the fact it'd probably still be 3 stock and you don't know who will go out first and also you can pick multiple of the same thing.
I think this would need to be addressed somehow.

It's not a problem with some characters, but having a team of Marth/Lucina/Chrom isn't a stretch and it more or less defeats the purpose of Squad Strike.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think this would need to be addressed somehow.

It's not a problem with some characters, but having a team of Marth/Lucina/Chrom isn't a stretch and it more or less defeats the purpose of Squad Strike.
I don't just mean picking assorted clones, I mean squad strike lets you pick multiples of the same character. Like you want to go in with 3 Bowsers? Go for it.
otoh forcing everyone to come into a tournament with 3 characters is also questionable, even if echoes and derivatives didn't throw it into more disarray.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Squad Strike Tag Team is an extremely common and popular side tournament format around here (Atlanta). People are more into it than Doubles.

Stage Morph largely isn't used because of the feeling that it tips what should be a completely neutral pick for game 1 into an advantage for whichever player gets their chosen stage to appear first.

IMO, FS Meter should be played around with more than it currently is (i.e. never), but Smashers largely don't want to learn new things.

I mean squad strike lets you pick multiples of the same character.
No, it doesn't. Not in the one sub-mode (Tag Team) that people are usually referring to when they're talking about Squad Strike, anyway.

If that was the case, some of the tournaments around here would likely be using that mode for their main Singles brackets.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squad Strike makes everything more complicated by the fact it'd probably still be 3 stock and you don't know who will go out first and also you can pick multiple of the same thing. It's needlessly adding that complexity for no real gain? I guess it'd be fine as a side tournament, I think they did similar things at previous smash events, but I can see why they would want to keep it simple.

You have no idea what Squad Strike is, do you?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DxUDAjmXcAAKFMi.jpg:large

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FS Meter should be played around with more than it currently is (i.e. never), but Smashers largely don't want to learn new things.
Final Smashes aren't balanced, that's why nobody wants to use them. Peach and Daisy have unreasonable overpowered Final Smahes (healing and a free charged Smash Attack), while others are completely useless in a 1:1 environment.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Final Smashes aren't balanced, that's why nobody wants to use them. Peach and Daisy have unreasonable overpowered Final Smahes (healing and a free charged Smash Attack), while others are completely useless in a 1:1 environment.

I think they're aware of that. I would still agree that it's weird there isn't many side events with it still. It wouldn't be the first game with ridiculously imbalanced supers.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I think they're aware of that. I would still agree that it's weird there isn't many side events with it still. It wouldn't be the first game with ridiculously imbalanced supers.
It's not just that they're strong, Peach and Daisy (and Zelda, depending on the player) are absolute win conditions. There's no uphill battle against them so they become the only viable options.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea what Squad Strike is, do you?
Squad Strike, the game mode where you either do the Elimination style no one cared about where people swap off the selected characters between rounds or the Tag Team battle where you pick 3 or 5 characters in one continuous match ala Smash Tour's final round. After which you select the order Pokemon Stadium style

I was totally off base with selecting multiples of the same character. Totally misremembered that one, I think I got thrown off by it still letting you highlight it with your little token. So that's my bad.

But that fuck up aside, I'm not really wrong, am I? You'd need to come in with 3-ish characters, you don't know who will be out first since hte inputs don't show who goes where and then there's the whole added metagaming of figuring out what your stock load out should be to help fight their 3. And maybe stage pick meta would get more complex?I Dunno enough on that.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
They're not really interesting enough to be worth it even as a casual thing. I'd rather there be a side event with the final smash ball than the meter.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just that they're strong, Peach and Daisy (and Zelda, depending on the player) are absolute win conditions. There's no uphill battle against them so they become the only viable options.
I know how strong the FS's are jesus christ lol. I just think there should be more side events anyway. Let it develop and if it overwhelmingly becomes a Peach/Daisy fest like we expect, then ban them in that format.

It's not like I'm advocating for this to replace the normal 1v1 format, just would like seeing more experimental rulesets like Glitch has in general.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I know how strong the FS's are jesus christ lol. I just think there should be more side events anyway. Let it develop and if it overwhelmingly becomes a Peach/Daisy fest like we expect, then ban them in that format.

It's not like I'm advocating for this to replace the normal 1v1 format, just would like seeing more experimental rulesets like Glitch has in general.
But then we're dealing with a homogeneous side event that would need testing and approvals and probably just become a banfest. There's limited space at these events, so why waste the time when everyone would rather be playing doubles or Squad Strike anyway?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Final Smashes while i was doing another squad strike to double check the selection thing, I had a fun interaction with Mario's final smash where it did not set off a bobomb because it managed to spawn in the exact safe spot of the move.

bobomb is a shmup master

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
But then we're dealing with a homogeneous side event that would need testing and approvals and probably just become a banfest. There's limited space at these events, so why waste the time when everyone would rather be playing doubles or Squad Strike anyway?

I know, I've ran events before. I'm moreso talking about smaller tourneys like locals. Of course the bigger issue is that there is little demand for it, but I was more commenting generally on the lack of the community wanting to experiment at all.

Shoot I just want to see more Squad Strike events in general.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to consider is how you get meter.

Because you can get meter by doing nothing, I could easily see matches that last for ages with characters camping different sides of the stage wiffing normals and not actually engaging once they have enough meter to reasonable get it full from just waiting. It'd be the worst matches from 3S and MvC2 with a timer that lasts way longer.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to consider is how you get meter.

Because you can get meter by doing nothing, I could easily see matches that last for ages with characters camping different sides of the stage wiffing normals and not actually engaging once they have enough meter to reasonable get it full from just waiting. It'd be the worst matches from 3S and MvC2 with a timer that lasts way longer.
Yeah I know but would love to see it more in practice instead of people just theorizing. Anyway again wasn't really commenting specifically on FS meter, I know how problematic it can potentially be, but just moreso how the Smash community outside of a few events have little experimentation.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squad Strike, the game mode where you either do the Elimination style no one cared about where people swap off the selected characters between rounds or the Tag Team battle where you pick 3 or 5 characters in one continuous match ala Smash Tour's final round. After which you select the order Pokemon Stadium style

I was totally off base with selecting multiples of the same character. Totally misremembered that one, I think I got thrown off by it still letting you highlight it with your little token. So that's my bad.

But that fuck up aside, I'm not really wrong, am I? You'd need to come in with 3-ish characters, you don't know who will be out first since hte inputs don't show who goes where and then there's the whole added metagaming of figuring out what your stock load out should be to help fight their 3. And maybe stage pick meta would get more complex?I Dunno enough on that.

It's far less complex than you're making it out to be. Or rather, what you say about the order of characters being unknown until the fight begins is accurate but not as complex as you are trying to make it out to be. There have been multiple 3 v 3 fighting games including King of Fighters which has that exact meta you're describing. And since Smash doesn't use a meter, it's not even as complex as you don't need to worry about batteries to build your meter up and instead just need to focus on where your anchor should be.

And, since you didn't watch the Smash Squad before saying how this is just too complex for the common fighting game fan, let me fill you in, stage selection meta was easy as everyone just choose Pokemon Stadium 2 for 99% of the matchups. There isn't much meta for the stages as you are selecting 3 different characters and because of the level of play, there isn't a secret combination of characters that are unbeatable. You are making a mountain out of a molehill here because the meta for Squad Strike is hardly more complicated than any other meta unless you overthink it.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so basically Squad Strike and Stage Morph aren't used mostly due to logistics/preference. Pretty much what I expected I guess, and still disappointing. But I guess the competitive scene's just always gonna be disappointing to me.

And I know Stage Morph isn't going to provide that much variety in your typical competitive tournaments where so many stages are banned anyway, but personally I love using it when I'm playing random Battlefield & Ω stages because if I'm already gonna be limited in stage layout variety, I may as well get as much variety in the scenery and music as I can! And even shifting from Battlefield to Final Destination and vice versa is a pretty decent mixup. Honestly, if I were to host another competitive Smash tournament someday, I'd probably use just that for the stage ruleset (random Battlefield stage set to morph to random Ω stage at a set interval, probably 2:00 or 2:30 minutes in). Seems fair and simple enough (way more simple than the whole strike/counterpick system), and so much more interesting than seeing Pokémon Stadium 2 over and over again all day.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It's far less complex than you're making it out to be. Or rather, what you say about the order of characters being unknown until the fight begins is accurate but not as complex as you are trying to make it out to be. There have been multiple 3 v 3 fighting games including King of Fighters which has that exact meta you're describing. And since Smash doesn't use a meter, it's not even as complex as you don't need to worry about batteries to build your meter up and instead just need to focus on where your anchor should be.
It is still more complex by definition, especially in a game that for years didn't have this KOF-styled option.

And, since you didn't watch the Smash Squad before saying how this is just too complex for the common fighting game fan, let me fill you in, stage selection meta was easy as everyone just choose Pokemon Stadium 2 for 99% of the matchups. There isn't much meta for the stages as you are selecting 3 different characters and because of the level of play, there isn't a secret combination of characters that are unbeatable. You are making a mountain out of a molehill here because the meta for Squad Strike is hardly more complicated than any other meta unless you overthink it.
good to know about the stages, I should have guessed it'd be all pokemon stadium, really.

Also I merely said (or at least, that was my intent) it was added complexity for not much gain, not that it was too complex for fighting game fans. I'm not that naive to think smash fans are unable to wrap their heads around it. But it's a change that adds more layers to the game to juggle, I can see why they'd stick with the tired and true for most tournaments instead of shifting over to a different format entirely.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
After playing as Roy (the Koopaling) for a few hours, I really feel like his back air should KO at a much much lower percent and that his forward throw should also be a kill throw. His forward throw is a meaty punch, but... it kinda sucks

Poor guy can rack up damage pretty well with his n-air and jab, plus his decent other attacks, but sealing the stock is pretty annoying and usually requires either a large percent + jab finisher, a risky up special wand hit or fishing for Smash attacks that are slow and very punishable.

I really think the Koopalings could be good characters with a few buffs. I actually got my highest GSP while playing Roy, at 3.1 million, but I somewhat attribute that to people never really fighting any Koopalings and not knowing how to handle them. If I was matched against anyone who knew what they were doing, I got beaten... badly.

Also the alt color glitch is really annoying. No, I do not want to play Bowser Jr, I want to play as Roy Koopa and his amazing sunglasses.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A little bummed I haven't seen a single K Rool at Glitch... Has he really fallen that fast?

Oct 25, 2017
After playing as Roy (the Koopaling) for a few hours, I really feel like his back air should KO at a much much lower percent and that his forward throw should also be a kill throw. His forward throw is a meaty punch, but... it kinda sucks

Poor guy can rack up damage pretty well with his n-air and jab, plus his decent other attacks, but sealing the stock is pretty annoying and usually requires either a large percent + jab finisher, a risky up special wand hit or fishing for Smash attacks that are slow and very punishable.

I really think the Koopalings could be good characters with a few buffs. I actually got my highest GSP while playing Roy, at 3.1 million, but I somewhat attribute that to people never really fighting any Koopalings and not knowing how to handle them. If I was matched against anyone who knew what they were doing, I got beaten... badly.

Also the alt color glitch is really annoying. No, I do not want to play Bowser Jr, I want to play as Roy Koopa and his amazing sunglasses.

Koopalings are probably the worst character in the game. The only real thing they have going for them is some air juggles/confirms, and that they are hard to kill. He has so few kill moves, though, mostly Back Air, juggling off stage, the spin-out on the kart, and a decent selection of safe edge-guarding (cannon to force them to come in low, and once they are in that habit just run off the ledge and up-B to drop the clown car in their path.

GSP has a separate ladder per character, so getting up to 3.1 isn't that surprising. Less played and bad, so it takes a lower rating to get an equivalent rank. That's about where I'm at, and I'm fighting people hundreds of thousands of points lower typically because their GSP ladders are more competitive. Matchmaking to other players to get a 50% win rate is like the only thing keeping Bowser Jr. from being widely regarded as the worst character. He is just absolute trash tier.

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I can't believe that this early, with a roster of 70+, competitive Ultimate has such a seemingly small pool or characters at tournaments. Rooting against every Palu and Snake I see.

Oct 27, 2017
So euh... i am quite frustrated.

This is my first ever Smash game. I just started it and i have no clue what to do. I went for 'Smash' and its just random matches. Then i checked spirits and it explains everything about spirits but nothing else.

Can somebody tell me where i'm supposed to find a tutorial on the basics of the game? What the buttons do, what the percentage represents, what i should do if someone kicks me from the board?
Does this game really not have any kind of explanation or tutorial on the basics? As a newcomer, my first match was frustrating as hell. I dont understand why kirby ran faster sometimes, i dont know how pikachu did his special move on me,.... how do you even do these flashy moves?

Anyway... 1000 songs, 100 characters yet no tutorial? Or did i just not find it?

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Any Ken mains on here? I'm uh finding it really difficult to try and do anything with him online because of the delay while I can usually pull off his combos offline.

I recently just started playing with him and I'm finding it pretty tough to approach my opponents. Any tips would be great!