• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why does the GameCube controller feel blocky and wooden online? Is there some extra added input delay?

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
How on earth do you get to a million GSP from 70k when each win gets about 4k? It's gonna take me ages and that's if I never lose again.

Is it impossible if you wreck your starting score?

This, I've been playing with Sheik which was around 70k and winning a few ones and have only moved to 73k.

But when I played with Kirby with a 1.8M score, I lost one and downgraded like 300k and then won and gained 350k, like wtf?

Also did they revamped Zelda move set and gave the old one to Palutena but with new animations?

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Today's a sad day, I'm gonna stop maining robin. I feel like compared to using my other mains wolf and shulk every match with robin is so much harder, there's a few things he really needs buffed to be viable I think.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished for now on 70199. My win rate in the last ten is 40%.Is it just me or are there a lot of good players at around 70k? Where are all the scrubs?

Why is there such a lack of help and helpful content for such a huge game. People just say 'keep playing and you'll get better' but I'm not. That's now how you'd learn a guitar. You could play for hours and not get any better unless you knew what to do. This is like that, I will keep sucking at edge guarding, recovering, neutral unless it's explained what I'm supposed to do and how I'm supposed to practice. How do you even practice edge guarding for example? The training mode sucks!

I feel like I'll be stuck on 70 GSP forever with a sub. 500 win rate and it'll be thirty hours later and I'll be no later as I'll be just repeating the same mistakes over and over. And what's with this community? No help whatsoever. Bb tag and bdfz communites help much more, this is just oh you'll get better somehow ephemeraly or something. When? How? You don't just get better at something.

This game tilts me like no other and it's a shame as a love watching it but playing it is so random. So I throw out a fair? A forward tilt? Do I dash in? Block? Who knows because neutral is a flipping random load of crap. There is no correct answer so I'm just guessing and mashing and no guides I've seen help at all. It's all bollocks.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Tried to have a game with a Bowser, no lag, but we both immediately noticed the atrocious input lag we had while trying to play, literally inputs came almost half a second later, so we just stood there trying to figure what to do until I just said fuck it and SDd thrice and apparently you can get banned for being unsportsman, lol.

Didnt lose GSP tho. So that's okay I guess.
This, I've been playing with Sheik which was around 70k and winning a few ones and have only moved to 73k.

But when I played with Kirby with a 1.8M score, I lost one and downgraded like 300k and then won and gained 350k, like wtf?

Also did they revamped Zelda move set and gave the old one to Palutena but with new animations?

When you start racking up wins with Sheik your GSP will increase exponentially faster, at lower levels it's a grind but once you hit certain marks they start rewarding you more and more. Also if you've never played Kirby before, your GSP will be even more volatile until you play a certain number of matches and you get placed around a mark the game deems you belong.

And what's with this community? No help whatsoever. Bb tag and bdfz communites help much more, this is just oh you'll get better somehow ephemeraly or something. When? How? You don't just get better at something.

This game tilts me like no other and it's a shame as a love watching it but playing it is so random. So I throw out a fair? A forward tilt? Do I dash in? Block? Who knows because neutral is a flipping random load of crap. There is no correct answer so I'm just guessing and mashing and no guides I've seen help at all. It's all bollocks.

Who do you play? Have some games recorded people could watch? How do you expect people to know how to help you if you don't seem to provide any contextual information about your gameplay other than 'help me get good please'.

If you think neutral is random in Smash you're already showing lack of basic knowledge of your character, the game overall, and some matchups. Pretty sure a lot of people in the thread would love to help.

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried to have a game with a Bowser, no lag, but we both immediately noticed the atrocious input lag we had while trying to play, literally inputs came almost half a second later, so we just stood there trying to figure what to do until I just said fuck it and SDd thrice and apparently you can get banned for being unsportsman, lol.

Didnt lose GSP tho. So that's okay I guess.

When you start racking up wins with Sheik your GSP will increase exponentially faster, at lower levels it's a grind but once you hit certain marks they start rewarding you more and more. Also if you've never played Kirby before, your GSP will be even more volatile until you play a certain number of matches and you get placed around a mark the game deems you belong.

Who do you play? Have some games recorded people could watch? How do you expect people to know how to help you if you don't seem to provide any contextual information about your gameplay other than 'help me get good please'.

If you think neutral is random in Smash you're already showing lack of basic knowledge of your character, the game overall, and some matchups. Pretty sure a lot of people in the thread would love to help.
I play Marth at the moment, but also dabble with Mario and Luigi. Well, I've asked specific questions in here that get ignored. For example, what should I be doing when edge guarding and how do I lab it?

Mar 9, 2018
It kinda sucks that it seems hard to find non-serious free-for-all Smash matches for elite Smash characters. At least in my area. Also kinda sucks that those matches count for the ranking.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I play Marth at the moment, but also dabble with Mario and Luigi. Well, I've asked specific questions in here that get ignored. For example, what should I be doing when edge guarding and how do I lab it?
I'm not sure what your skill level is but the easiest way to learn how to play well with your favourite character is to watch how the pros play, I like Jtails who also has a new marth video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-iVsqn24ok
If you dont know how to short hops and other stuff like that he also has a movement video which covers all the basics.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Did they fix the fruit issue on Yoshi's Story?

Where no matter your item settings, Shy Guys always carry food?
I turned off al items and checked it out

With Hazards off, I didn't see any shy guys at all.
With hazards on...Shy Guys still show up with food.

I decided to double check Yoshi's Island (Brawl) too, since I had the rule set up. No Shy Guys at all with hazards off, hazards on has shy guys but they wont carry food if you have it disabeled.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I turned off al items and checked it out

With Hazards off, I didn't see any shy guys at all.
With hazards on...Shy Guys still show up with food.

I decided to double check Yoshi's Island (Brawl) too, since I had the rule set up. No Shy Guys at all with hazards off, hazards on has shy guys but they wont carry food if you have it disabeled.
So it's still broken. Oh well

In other news

What has he unleashed

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So it's still broken. Oh well

In other news

What has he unleashed

for what it's worth, they might have fixed that weird issue where the game had trouble loading between the two versions of Obstacle Course

...maybe. I wasn't sure what caused that glitch anyway, so I might have just not triggered it

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what your skill level is but the easiest way to learn how to play well with your favourite character is to watch how the pros play, I like Jtails who also has a new marth video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-iVsqn24ok
If you dont know how to short hops and other stuff like that he also has a movement video which covers all the basics.
OK cool, I'll check that out. I like jtails and watched his movement one. The new patch really helped me short hop. I still don't find it helps as much as other fighting games. I do watch tournaments, been watching the one on now but I don't find it that helpful.

What do people actually practice in training mode? How do I approach with Marth? What's safe on block? Feels like everything! How do I whiff punish? As when they whiff the recovery is so quick that I don't get time to run up and punish... The list of questions goes on but apparently I just need to watch pros and just absorb this somehow.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
So, erm. Does anyone know of a good Mii repository? My attempts at making anything in Switch Mii editor are futile.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I do have such hardware but I guess the emphasis is more on stuff existing than anything. I wouldn't even mind rewriting Mii "recipes" step by step.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I should feel bad for completely outclassing my coworkers with my little Mac but good god is it fun. We all play this shit pretty often (not at a competitive level) but all the cheap comments from them make me feel like I should change lol

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't know you could get a perfect in the Bonus Game in Classic Mode. Also, I got my first 2 million score in Classic as Shulk. Shulk seems fun to play.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Just something I've been throwing around in my head, but with the next Direct taking so long to happen, do y'all think Joker will be ready to show in a playable state? It's been 2 months....

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Just something I've been throwing around in my head, but with the next Direct taking so long to happen, do y'all think Joker will be ready to show in a playable state? It's been 2 months....

The first two DLC characters for Smash 4 that you had to spend money for (Mewtwo was free if you bought both versions) were both released almost exactly 9 months after the launch of the 3DS version in Japan, and a bit under 6 months after the Wii U version was released in North America. They were also released about a month and a half after Mewtwo. That being said Piranha Plant came out way earlier then Mewtwo did, even if you're just counting the latest Wii U release date and not the 3DS release date, so turnaround for the DLC might be a bit quicker this time around. Don't get your hopes up though, Mewtwo hadn't even been really begun development when they had first teased him whereas Piranha Plant seemed to already have a lot of work done on them when they were first teased about a month before the game's launch which would explain the massively different release dates.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Whenever I turn on the console from sleep mode with the game open, I am forced to close it due to an error. I think this happens to me since the last update. Anyone experiencing the same? Thanks.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The first two DLC characters for Smash 4 that you had to spend money for (Mewtwo was free if you bought both versions) were both released almost exactly 9 months after the launch of the 3DS version in Japan, and a bit under 6 months after the Wii U version was released in North America. They were also released about a month and a half after Mewtwo. That being said Piranha Plant came out way earlier then Mewtwo did, even if you're just counting the latest Wii U release date and not the 3DS release date, so turnaround for the DLC might be a bit quicker this time around. Don't get your hopes up though, Mewtwo hadn't even been really begun development when they had first teased him whereas Piranha Plant seemed to already have a lot of work done on them when they were first teased about a month before the game's launch which would explain the massively different release dates.

I don't think Joker will be released for a while (I think April), I just think there's a chance he'll be shown in a playable state.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
my guess is the first batch of Fighters Pass DLC will come around the beginning of June

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
We need some good mii gunner outfits, ones that hide the miis actual faces.

Basically give me my motherfudgin' Proto Man back!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the Monster Hunter costumes to come back.

We have Monster Hunter content in the base game now! There's no reason not to bring them back.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I do think Joker gameplay will be shown in the next Direct. It will have been enough time to get something going even if it's janky. Remember, Piranha Plant was shown with gameplay nearly 3 months before release

I just want the Monster Hunter costumes to come back.

We have Monster Hunter content in the base game now! There's no reason not to bring them back.
Fuck the costumes give us an actual Hunter as a character with alts.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Smash getting a palico over a hunter, not saying I expect it, but the possibility is there after Generations made Prowlers with various gimmicks a thing.

I'd prefer a hunter of course.
Yet I can't shake how well a felyne's arsenal would apply itself to smash.

Today's a sad day, I'm gonna stop maining robin. I feel like compared to using my other mains wolf and shulk every match with robin is so much harder, there's a few things he really needs buffed to be viable I think.
I was gonna respond to this the other day, mostly to say how sad it is when the character you want to main just can't cut the mustard, and also how the one time I tried taking him for a spin online, I went from win to loss to completely downloaded and I just couldn't figure out how to make any headway.

I'm responding now though because I decided to give him another spin online earlier, and hoo boy, I'm beginning to think his Fire Emblem gimmick isn't limited weapon usage, but actually the feel of playing lunatic mode in smash bros.
I'm now very intrigued to read up on what the consensus is on him, because while I don't see him mentioned as being particularly poor, he feels very limited with a counter productive gimmick and lacking in areas like speed/grabs/tilts.

To a think a friend of mine considers him too potent because Levin Sword, cripes, I don't want to imagine him without it!

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Smash Ultimate officially became my most played Switch game yesterday at 220 hours+ passing the 215 hours+ I spent with Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Still don't have Little Mac in Elite but I will someday soon

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How on earth do you get to a million GSP from 70k when each win gets about 4k? It's gonna take me ages and that's if I never lose again.

Is it impossible if you wreck your starting score?
I was stuck at around 60k before the patch. Then after patch 2.0, I jumped 3 million points, and now I have 3.67million. I knew something was wrong because even though I had 60k, I was only paired with people 3 million above me.
I thought the issue was resolved with the patch, but if you're experiencing still it, I'm now worried I can nosedive back to where you are.

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
People online who die way too early in team battle then take one of my stocks only for me to get eliminated soon after are the bane of my existence. Why is this a thing?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I thought I was really improving over the last month and was going to destroy my brother, but he beat me in every match yesterday except for the ones where I picked Wolf or Piranha Plant...

I never won as Ganondorf, Dark Samus and for Piranha Plant I only won half the time. And I'm pretty sure I only won as Plant because he didn't know how it worked.

The last time I played against him was a month ago...

Either he's been secretly training, or I haven't really improved as much as I thought I had.

...Unless I pick Wolf. I guess I clearly need to just always play Wolf lol

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they tease "Brave" when they show off Joker. Feels weird to only officially know one DLC character, lol.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You have asked few questions in a few different posts so far but im gonna respond to this one in particular.

First off, if there are people who are actively interested in getting better i'd be happy to play sometime and do some 1v1s and see if I cant give any advice/pointers

Now for the edge guarding question. Edge guarding is both incredibly simple and incredibly difficult. Simply put edge guarding is anything you to stop the opponent from getting back to the stage. Doing it is the hard part.

Being able to edge guard essentially asks a two questions

1. What tools does your character have to edgeguard?
2. What tools does your opponent have to recover?

To get answers to these questions, the fastest way is to go to character discords. For example, the ridley discord just finished a big weeklong discussion with the pichu discord where they they spent an entire day talking about this particular topic. Lots of matchups are still being discussed but there is still a ton of information done by people who are labbing all this out.

With all that being said, your ability to edgeguard is going to largely depend on how quickly and accurately you can answer those two questions stated earlier during any given match. There are alot of characters and alot of nuance to it all so thats where the "just play a ton" mindset comes in, because an incineroar recovering high vs a wolf recovering low are two very different situations.

To wrap some thoughts up here are some questions and practice ideas for ya.

Questions to ask yourself

1. Do you know every characters recovery works?
2. How far off stage can you and your character go and still make it back?

Practice ideas

1. Go to training and pick an opponent with a very straightforward/exploitable recovery
2. Pick any tourney legal stage
3. set them to like 60, hit them off the stage and try preventing them from getting to the stage/ledge.

See what works and what doesnt. Get comfortable with your tools and what you can get away with.

Hope this helps!

EDIT:
One of many examples of someone who knows the tools of their character AND how their opponent is going to try and recover

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaintImportantStarSSSsss

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, a tier list worth paying attention to

e: Probably should have watched this all the way since "autistic spasm attack" is worth at least a yikes

Last edited:

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I keep trying to watch those funny tier lists and they always make some awful joke halfway through.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
UM.

Check out the Nintendo First-Party thread. We may or may not be looking at some hints towards a future DLC character.

Banjo.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how to use Lucina well, I can't decide which is the best way to edge guard or play neutrals with her