• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I fucking did it
I fucking did it
I fucking did it

I got Little Mac into Elite Smash solely on his merits and not on the back of other characters. It took me 961 battles but I fucking did it.
I got "the worst character in the game" into Elite Smash, even after some horrible losing streaks and many frustrating setbacks.
Hell my win % is only 53%, so it's not like I'm great or anything but I'm inline with those numbers Sakurai gave so I'm at least average lol

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Umm excuse me sir. You play a version of Smash that has a stage that literally transforms throughout the match. I mean I don't have a problem with that but you forfeit the right to complain about a tilting stage.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Who's bright idea was it to call Isabelle's Classic Mode "Best in Show?"

I thought it would be all animal opponents but... Yikes.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have asked few questions in a few different posts so far but im gonna respond to this one in particular.

First off, if there are people who are actively interested in getting better i'd be happy to play sometime and do some 1v1s and see if I cant give any advice/pointers

Now for the edge guarding question. Edge guarding is both incredibly simple and incredibly difficult. Simply put edge guarding is anything you to stop the opponent from getting back to the stage. Doing it is the hard part.

Being able to edge guard essentially asks a two questions

1. What tools does your character have to edgeguard?
2. What tools does your opponent have to recover?

To get answers to these questions, the fastest way is to go to character discords. For example, the ridley discord just finished a big weeklong discussion with the pichu discord where they they spent an entire day talking about this particular topic. Lots of matchups are still being discussed but there is still a ton of information done by people who are labbing all this out.

With all that being said, your ability to edgeguard is going to largely depend on how quickly and accurately you can answer those two questions stated earlier during any given match. There are alot of characters and alot of nuance to it all so thats where the "just play a ton" mindset comes in, because an incineroar recovering high vs a wolf recovering low are two very different situations.

To wrap some thoughts up here are some questions and practice ideas for ya.

Questions to ask yourself

1. Do you know every characters recovery works?
2. How far off stage can you and your character go and still make it back?

Practice ideas

1. Go to training and pick an opponent with a very straightforward/exploitable recovery
2. Pick any tourney legal stage
3. set them to like 60, hit them off the stage and try preventing them from getting to the stage/ledge.

See what works and what doesnt. Get comfortable with your tools and what you can get away with.

Hope this helps!

EDIT:
One of many examples of someone who knows the tools of their character AND how their opponent is going to try and recover

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaintImportantStarSSSsss
Hey thanks. That was actually really helpful and I'll definitely try practising edge guarding like that next time I'm in training mode.

I'd take you up on the offer of some 1 vs 1 but the times when I get even 30 mins to play in one sitting vary so much.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Hey thanks. That was actually really helpful and I'll definitely try practising edge guarding like that next time I'm in training mode.

I'd take you up on the offer of some 1 vs 1 but the times when I get even 30 mins to play in one sitting vary so much.

Those are very nice tips he gave you, plus the three characters you mention are not only good at edge guarding, but also at ledge trapping opponents, with how Ultimate works I'd recommend to pay attention to this concept just as much, as sometimes edge guarding gets trickier depending on the matchup.

Ledge trapping is much more about 50/50s and how you condition your opponent and it's very safe. I don't think you can lab those out since it's very hard to do so against CPUs, but this guide provides the basics

Zero uses Chrom and Lucina, which is basically Marth, so it might translate even better to you. Also, don't forget that you can two frame people, you can probably find some examples on twitter, just look up this hashtag: #SSBU_NameOfYourCharacter. There's a lot of techs, combo vids and a bunch of resources being uploaded for almost everyone in the game.

Edit: The new patch made matchmaking in this game somehow worse and way more discouraging. Trying to level the GSP of a new character is way harder since you're rewarded mere peanuts when facing a rival around your GSP, however, more often than not I'm running into circumstances where I'm either pitting my 2.1M JIgglypuff against people on the below 1m bracket which

a)Is not fun
b)Literally nets me like 13k or so GSP

Or people that are in Elite Smash with 3.7M or somewhere below. Not only that, if I somehow do manage to win against these people you are not rewarded accordingly with a substantial GSP gain.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, after today's reports, I decided to see if my data was alright. And it was!

Phew!

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017

Umm excuse me sir. You play a version of Smash that has a stage that literally transforms throughout the match. I mean I don't have a problem with that but you forfeit the right to complain about a tilting stage.

There aren't enough viable stages in Melee to ban more of them

(and people have been trying to freeze Stadium for years, but daddy Nintendo won't even let them use UCF much less further mods)

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Question: I was 1-1 using Lucina vs Ike. He beat me no contest. I had no way to counter his constant charge attacks. Even if I blocked it, he still got his follow up jabs in before I could. It was like my controller was stalling on me. Even if I dodged it he would somehow end up behind me and jab away.

I tried to low attack when he charged towards me but it did nothing.

How do I counter this line of attack with Lucina? I had mild success with dancing blade, but that's about it.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Question: I was 1-1 using Lucina vs Ike. He beat me no contest. I had no way to counter his constant charge attacks. Even if I blocked it, he still got his follow up jabs in before I could. It was like my controller was stalling on me. Even if I dodged it he would somehow end up behind me and jab away.

How do I counter this line of attack with Lucina? I had mild success with dancing blade, but that's about it.

Lucina can up b out of shield incredibly fast. By charge attack you mean dash or a smash attack? Charge is pretty easy to shield but his jab comes out faster than most (frame 4 or so) so that's why you could be falling for it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Lucina can up b out of shield incredibly fast. By charge attack you mean dash or a smash attack? Charge is pretty easy to shield but his jab comes out faster than most (frame 4 or so) so that's why you could be falling for it.

Sorry I meant dash attack. He charges up his dash attack and waits for me to approach. Thanks for the tips.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The argument is: why do it if you don't have to?
Because I prefer to play the game that I have instead of listening to other people complain that it's not the game they wish they had.

I feel this way about a lot of the things that players tend to ban. Sometimes I wish they'd drop the pretense and make tournaments Battlefield-only, because I really don't feel like they actually care about stage mastery in the first place.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to elite smash with incineroar. Wasn't that hard due to the fact GSP for my other characters are high even through i play maybe with 3 of them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
With DLC characters getting Guidances, I'm not really too sure we'll get any "bonus" echoes added in a patch or whatever. There's a new added step and cost to an echo.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
With DLC characters getting Guidances, I'm not really too sure we'll get any "bonus" echoes added in a patch or whatever. There's a new added step and cost to an echo.
Piranha Plant might be the exception, if it was originally planned as part of the base game and moved to DLC as a result of deadlines.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what were the guidances named and placed as? I only ever had the music files, not the audio. I'm curious if there was a gap left for PP that got filled (like the fanfare) or if it just got kicked to the end.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Out of curiosity, what were the guidances named and placed as? I only ever had the music files, not the audio. I'm curious if there was a gap left for PP that got filled (like the fanfare) or if it just got kicked to the end.
The guidance text files just use character names for the file names. They didn't need to leave a gap.

EDIT: OH, you meant the audio files. Smash 4 ordered hem by first Smash appearance (besides Mii Fighters, who are first) but the order is different from the one used in Ultimate. The file names used numbers, so they might've left space for Piranha Plant in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017

Doesn't lucina's down b literally counter? Wouldn't this be applicable?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Any advice for a Mewtwo/Olimar/Snake main against Inkling? I've been switching to Corrin because it's a slightly better matchup imo, but I have a lot of trouble dealing with Inklings. Even basic ones can combo me to hell and I can't ever seem to mash out of the roller

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any advice for a Mewtwo/Olimar/Snake main against Inkling? I've been switching to Corrin because it's a slightly better matchup imo, but I have a lot of trouble dealing with Inklings. Even basic ones can combo me to hell and I can't ever seem to mash out of the roller
I would love to know some general advice against inklings too, they're so fast and their dash makes them so hard to see.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'll give some thoughts after work

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Leffen says he's still gonna play PT as a secondary but as his mains he's looking at Inkling and Pichu. He doesn't think Armada and Cosmos play Inkling right, and he thinks Void has only slightly tapped into Pichu's potential

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Jr hasn't changed much, other than cleaning up some animations to make them a bit smoother and making the Clown Car have more personality

Weirdly the clown car no longer cries when being hit or hanging off the ledge

I like how the Car is so vibrant now. An improvement over the shinier look it had last game, I think.
And the new ledge animation is great. The flailing legs adds a lot of personality.

He's going in roughly the Smash 4 roster order so next shoudl be...oh dear. DK.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still getting "Clears" on spirit battles and man
Piranha Plant's side special is just nasty for stamina matches