• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright! I leveled every single spirit up to level 99! :D

It is more likely "Hero", representing multiple DQ games with different outfits that aren't just palette swaps.

Given the precedence we have with Cloud and Joker, I think that Erdrick is the most likely, seeing how he is the most prolific and well-known DQ character, he's kind of the Cloud of the series. If it's not Erdrick, then it's the MC of the latest Dragon Quest game, which would be 11, and would be congruent with Joker, being the most recent and relevant character of the Persona franchise. That would also go together with DQ11 releasing on the Switch in 2019.

So I don't think we'll be getting an amalgamation of all DQ games (beyond perhaps colour palettes), nor do I think we'll be getting, say, a Slime as mascot character.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping "Brave" is revealed as well. I just need that confirmation. (We all think it's Erdrick, right?)
Not 100% convinced it's Erdrick mainly because Joker's codename was a little bit more loose and not obvious whereas Erdrick/Dragon Quest is what everyone jumped to as soon as they saw the codename.

Not exactly sure who else it'd be but at the same time that should be the point of the codename should it get leaked out as with the datamine

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not 100% convinced it's Erdrick mainly because Joker's codename was a little bit more loose and not obvious whereas Erdrick/Dragon Quest is what everyone jumped to as soon as they saw the codename.

Not exactly sure who else it'd be but at the same time that should be the point of the codename should it get leaked out as with the datamine
It would be weird if it wasn't Erdrick at this point after the game supervisor posted that tease of Kirby with Erdrick's shield.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would be weird if it wasn't Erdrick at this point after the game supervisor posted that tease of Kirby with Erdrick's shield.
Dude who posted that doesn't even work on the game. He supervised Smash 64 and has no relation to the current Smash team. It's suspiciously timed but I would chock it up to the Cristina Vee Tweet in that it's most likely not Smash related

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not super convinced it's Dragon Quest either, but if it is Dragon Quest, then it's for sure either Erdrick or the DQ11 MC.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Has anyone figured out how many randomly generated layouts there are for the Mario Maker stage? I'm trying to count them but if it's a ridiculously high number I might as well stop wasting my time.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how stern Nintendo is with NDAs I really doubt that instagram post was a hint. No one from Nintendo or Sega/Atlus hinted at Joker, no one from Nintendo or Square hinted at Cloud, no one from Nintendo or Capcom hinted at Ryu (excluding datamines but those are more like accidents), no one from Nintendo or Konami hinted at Simon and Richter. Someone suddenly hinting at a DLC smash character like this is unprecedented regardless of who Brave is

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I just activated my NSO trial and played a few quickplay games. I lost like three matches in a row and my GSP absolutely tanked. Then even in the trench I'm still getting matched with people harder than I fought when I had a higher GSP. Aside from the one Captain Falcon I played who absolutely trashed me, like he was getting 60% combos absolutely on cue, every time.

It's also exposed how awful I am at "engaging," my opponent 90% of the time comes out on top, and if I do, then it just feels lucky.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Pretty nice list, although I think Wario might be a bit higher tier than that. ROB seems a bit low, as well.

Ganondorf still being underrated cause mostly scrubs online use him.
Ganondorf is a destructive force in this game. Once Nairo finally starts taking him to tournaments, it will change people's minds

There's no way Simon/Richter and Mii Swordfighter are that low. Mii Swordfighter up b kills at ridiculous low percent, the tornado is busted and chakram gives them solid neutral

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone figured out how many randomly generated layouts there are for the Mario Maker stage? I'm trying to count them but if it's a ridiculously high number I might as well stop wasting my time.
I don't think there's a real finite number you can seriously count, it doesn't seem to be a stage with predefined variants but rather something that is actually truly randomly generated (within set parameters).

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Alright! I leveled every single spirit up to level 99! :D

Given the precedence we have with Cloud and Joker, I think that Erdrick is the most likely, seeing how he is the most prolific and well-known DQ character, he's kind of the Cloud of the series. If it's not Erdrick, then it's the MC of the latest Dragon Quest game, which would be 11, and would be congruent with Joker, being the most recent and relevant character of the Persona franchise. That would also go together with DQ11 releasing on the Switch in 2019.

So I don't think we'll be getting an amalgamation of all DQ games (beyond perhaps colour palettes), nor do I think we'll be getting, say, a Slime as mascot character.
DQ11's hero is basically retcon'd into being Loto/Erdrick as well. So it would be very likely Loto/Erdrick would be DQ3 male, female, and DQ11's protagonists with some alt colors referencing other DQ heroes thrown in.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I only saw same layout only very few times which said a lot based on how much we played in that stage. (speaking about smash 4)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
We're starting to get hitbox visualizations going (more at meshima's twitter) and i love these just for pointing out how stretched and skewed these models can get

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think there's a real finite number you can seriously count, it doesn't seem to be a stage with predefined variants but rather something that is actually truly randomly generated (within set parameters).

Seems like it.

Good lord!

I only saw same layout only very few times which said a lot based on how much we played in that stage. (speaking about smash 4)

Same.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Asking as someone who doesn't watch competitive Smash: Why's Ryu so low? And do good players main a Mii?
Ryu is low for a couple reasons, he's slow, he is great at building up percents but bad at killing, and he's too difficult to play effectively at his best, given that everything he can do has a variety of possibilities unlike any other character. Ken is above him because his recovery is a little better and he can kill a little earlier. I'm not sure they deserve to be that low, but no one has performed well with them at tournaments so there's not much data to work with.

Miis are used by some decent players but they don't have much to show outside of weeklies and are being dropped in favor of more typical meta picks. It seems like some of their tricks can be pretty easily countered (stuff like Swordfighter's tornado side b to whirlwind up b combo which is not scary at all once you know to just hold shield) and frankly some players just don't feel like having to set up their loadout at every setup they play on. Of all of Genesis 6, there were only 2 matches with Miis on stream

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
We're starting to get hitbox visualizations going (more at meshima's twitter) and i love these just for pointing out how stretched and skewed these models can get

DunWBATUUAAS47j.jpg

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
1v1 GSP is not equal to 4 ups GSP. Amazed at the skills of the 1v1 pool. GSP hardly matters, someone under a million can give a serious work out. It's like take the win and deuces to you sir

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1v1 GSP is not equal to 4 ups GSP. Amazed at the skills of the 1v1 pool. GSP hardly matters, someone under a million can give a serious work out. It's like take the win and deuces to you sir
Under a million? I'm finding good players at under 100k though I'm a scrub so what do I know?

How do you guys deal with losing close games you think you should have won? I just lost to a Peach that was on 150 and I was on about 90 and it put me in a bad mood for a half hour. Seriously, it just makes me fed up.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Oh the zelda series should be fun, glad we're not waiting too long on those. 4 of them got complete visual overhauls, young link is comparing to the gamecube and also toon link is there.
lol Toon Link

Enjoy your new forward Smash little buddy. That's... all you get.

I think TL's new Forward Smash is a nerf to him and it's kinda ruined how I played TL, so I don't play TL anymore after being one of my mains for Brawl and Smash 4

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
lol Toon Link

Enjoy your new forward Smash little buddy. That's... all you get.

I think TL's new Forward Smash is a nerf to him and it's kinda ruined how I played TL, so I don't play TL anymore after being one of my mains for Brawl and Smash 4
We can't even look at increased expressiveness because Smash 4 Toon Link was already one of the more expressive haracters in the game.

And yeahhhh, that new forward smash isn't great. Feels more like a tilt. Should have made it the skull hammer.....

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Under a million? I'm finding good players at under 100k though I'm a scrub so what do I know?

How do you guys deal with losing close games you think you should have won? I just lost to a Peach that was on 150 and I was on about 90 and it put me in a bad mood for a half hour. Seriously, it just makes me fed up.

Sometimes being down a stock is nothing if you know you've been just going through the motions up to that point. This game is very much a "it's not over til it's over" type thing and you'd be surprise what can be pulled off when backs are against the wall

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Toon Link's forward Smash feels off because it's just a single hit move. When every link in every game before has had a double hit forward smash

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Maybe they'll re-release Pikmin 3 in the upcoming Direct and then announce to celebrate they're going to upgrade Alph into an echo and replace Olimar's Alph alts with his old Brawl alts.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they'll re-release Pikmin 3 in the upcoming Direct and then announce to celebrate they're going to upgrade Alph into an echo and replace Olimar's Alph alts with his old Brawl alts.

Unlikely. If anything, they'd go for another captain like Louie (probably not if it's to tie into Pikmin 3 tho) or Brittany/Charlie (hopefully Brittany).

Maybe Brittany with a non boring pikmin moveset is the next DLC tie in!

Unlikely. If anything, they'd make her an Echo and release that as free DLC.

And frankly, I really hope they'll add 3 DLC Echoes. That way, both the character select with Echoes stacked and the one with them having separate slots are evened out.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ganondorf still being underrated cause mostly scrubs online use him.
Ganondorf is a destructive force in this game. Once Nairo finally starts taking him to tournaments, it will change people's minds

There's no way Simon/Richter and Mii Swordfighter are that low. Mii Swordfighter up b kills at ridiculous low percent, the tornado is busted and chakram gives them solid neutral
I'm thinking Ganon is a mid tier until parrying gets more developed. He's finally fast enough to capitalize on poor mistakes and he's powerful enough to delete stocks with those mistakes.

He has a tough time dealing with projectiles and has a bad recovery but he is legitimately decent due to how good he is at capitalizing on momentum.

Oct 26, 2017
I just now registered my game card even though I bought the game at midnight release. Am I shit out of luck with Pirhana Plant?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So - I'm an easily frustrated guy and this game is frustrating as hell for me. I just do not seem to get better at it. It's my first smash game and I'm primarily playing against friends who have been playing it for almost 20 years and they just kick my ass every time. I've unlocked every fighter but I can't seem to find one that really gels with me. I can safely beat the cpu at level 7, but I've sort of hit a wall and I'm not nearly having as much fun as I'm supposed to be having since this game just oozes greatness.
How have you handled Legend-Tier spirits on the Spirit Board because...
Is it me or are these Spirit Board challenges tough?
Yes! Some of the Legend ones, at least where the opponent doesn't have a major advantage, can be satisfyingly tough. They can play so well and it just forces you to keep up. Probably the closest thing I'll have to PvP in a while.

I think I'm nearly done with Adventure Mode. I'm at the part after the second cutscene. And with about 1100 spirits, I'm nearly done with that too. I finally played all the newcomers in some way, except Dark Samus. And I've nearly finished Classic Mode with every character.