• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elider

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
So I've been doing absolutely horribly online. I thought I was half-decent at Smash 4, and during my first online day of Ultimate, I actually managed to reach Elite with Lucas after a few games. Since then, though, I have lost almost every single game I played. I could blame the online lag, but it's more like I'm not used to Ultimate's new mechanics (nor input lag, which may or may not be in my head?).

For this reason, I obviously had mixed feelings about going to a live tournament – my hometown just started doing monthlies, and I felt I should be there since this was sorely missed during the Wii U era – but in the end, I went and did surprisingly well! I came in fourth (out of 17 participants) and feel that maybe I can pull this game off after all. Looking forward to playing with Era once I get the opportunity between work and studies <3

But hey, that's not actually the reason I'm writing. I have an extra Piranha Plant code that I hope somebody could take off my hands. First come, first serve, and please tell if you grab it.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Man, I'm having the fuckest of times beating Claus on the Spirit Board. These Legend 4-star spirits can eat a dick (or two). I finally beat Sukapon by cheesing it. I used Ridley and simply skull-dragged the Mii Fighter off the side of the stage. I lose to just about every Legend spirit that pops up on there but Claus is the one I really, really want to finally bury. I've tried super armor with Kirby and his hammer smash. I've tried Konkey Dong and his down + B temper tantrum. I've tried Kuroudo and his side + B slice spam. I think next time, I'm gonna start the battle with a Franklin Badge equipped and just go to town on their asses. I typically can get to metal Lucas and once I seem close to beating him, he PK Clusterfucks me off the stage. Every time.

Most of these Legend spirits end up knowing which way I'm going to attack so they quickly roll to the other side of me and it pisses me off. They have an answer for everything. I get juggled, I get juked, I get projectile spammed...maybe I just need to git gud.

Edit: Also, holy shit at World of Light. I've already beaten
Galeem
so things have gone dark. And now I've beaten the bottom left corner of the map. But it seems I still have a long ways to go. I just want to reach that Zero spirit T_T

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we expect Nintendo to recyle spirit board events so we have a second chance to win exclusive spirits?
Are all stages unlocked from the start for everyone?

Man, I'm having the fuckest of times beating Claus on the Spirit Board. These Legend 4-star spirits can eat a dick (or two). I finally beat Sukapon by cheesing it. I used Ridley and simply skull-dragged the Mii Fighter off the side of the stage. I lose to just about every Legend spirit that pops up on there but Claus is the one I really, really want to finally bury. I've tried super armor with Kirby and his hammer smash. I've tried Konkey Dong and his down + B temper tantrum. I've tried Kuroudo and his side + B slice spam. I think next time, I'm gonna start the battle with a Franklin Badge equipped and just go to town on their asses. I typically can get to metal Lucas and once I seem close to beating him, he PK Clusterfucks me off the stage. Every time.

Most of these Legend spirits end up knowing which way I'm going to attack so they quickly roll to the other side of me and it pisses me off. They have an answer for everything. I get juggled, I get juked, I get projectile spammed...maybe I just need to git gud.

Edit: Also, holy shit at World of Light. I've already beaten
Galeem
so things have gone dark. And now I've beaten the bottom left corner of the map. But it seems I still have a long ways to go. I just want to reach that Zero spirit T_T

Yes, some of these legend spirits are just too hard. Sucks that some of them are timed exclusive.
And then when you do win, the fucking spinning-game at the end is so ridiculous that you could still lose out.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we expect Nintendo to recyle spirit board events so we have a second chance to win exclusive spirits?
Are all stages unlocked from the start for everyone?

Well, the Mario Party event that brought the golden mushroom, the Mario Party die and the raft minigame spirits wasn't repeated, but the spirits were made available regularly on the board. Same for the Let's Go! partner spirits, which didn't have an event.

And yes, all stages are unlocked from the start, for everyone. There is no unlockable stages. Only exception are likely going to be the DLC stages.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Unlocking all characters was absolutely delightful. Looking at the complete roster makes me realize how great the gaming universe is.

I haven't tried World of Light yet, but I'll get my ass kicked I'm afraid.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unlocking all characters was absolutely delightful. Looking at the complete roster makes me realize how great the gaming universe is.

I haven't tried World of Light yet, but I'll get my ass kicked I'm afraid.

I specifically tried to clear World of Light first because I knew that unlocking the characters regularly wouldn't make them available in WoL, but the other way around it would. Unfortunately, a big chunk of the roster isn't available until veeeeery late into the mode.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There aren't any exclusive spirits anymore (other than Plant's fighter spirit is exclusive to owning it, obviously), the Mario Party ones were patched to just be regular battles now. They appear just like any other Spirit Battle on the board.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I specifically tried to clear World of Light first because I knew that unlocking the characters regularly wouldn't make them available in WoL, but the other way around it would. Unfortunately, a big chunk of the roster isn't available until veeeeery late into the mode.

That's an efficient time-saving approach. Is the spirit mechanic hard to master? I've never been that good at strategizing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, the Mario Party event that brought the golden mushroom, the Mario Party die and the raft minigame spirits wasn't repeated, but the spirits were made available regularly on the board. Same for the Let's Go! partner spirits, which didn't have an event.

And yes, all stages are unlocked from the start, for everyone. There is no unlockable stages. Only exception are likely going to be the DLC stages.

There aren't any exclusive spirits anymore (other than Plant's fighter spirit is exclusive to owning it, obviously), the Mario Party ones were patched to just be regular battles now. They appear just like any other Spirit Battle on the board.

Good to know, thanks all!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's an efficient time-saving approach. Is the spirit mechanic hard to master? I've never been that good at strategizing.

Nah.
You just use the biggest number you have and then slot in supports that will help. If you use a 3-slot primary and use Metal + Giant, you steamroll almost every challenge quite easily, with the exception of maybe some Legend level ones, and ones that have an obnoxious stage hazard (there mainly the strong wind and floor is lava ones were the problematic ones).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Rather than metal/big, I find super armor Smash attacks (Hector/Dracula) + Victini's Smash attack boosts + a character with really strong Smashes (Ganondorf, Bowser, Chrom) is by far the best way to trivialize spirit battles.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rather than metal/big, I find super armor Smash attacks (Hector/Dracula) + Victini's Smash attack boosts + a character with really strong Smashes (Ganondorf, Bowser, Chrom) is by far the best way to trivialize spirit battles.

Victini is my go-to 1-slot spirit when I don't use the metal/giant combo because of the stage hazard stuff. I've been thinking of ditching metal, tbh, because it screwed me a few times since you fall so much faster. But at this point, I have every spirit (and all of them leveled to 99), and am only doing the occasional fight to have the Clear on the spirit board lol.
I used to mostly use Ganondorf, but I found Bowser being more agile and having a ranged attack makes him a bit easier to use for those fights than 'dorf.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Nah.
You just use the biggest number you have and then slot in supports that will help. If you use a 3-slot primary and use Metal + Giant, you steamroll almost every challenge quite easily, with the exception of maybe some Legend level ones, and ones that have an obnoxious stage hazard (there mainly the strong wind and floor is lava ones were the problematic ones).

I'm not too worried then. Thanks a ton!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I still stand by Big + Hyper Smash + Some power boost for whatever kind of attack it is. I stopped bothering with Big + Metal once I got KIU Medusa.

With Ganon you're looking at ~80% per forward smash which will kill anything that isn't giant or metal.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Captain Falcon, Richter and, funnily enough, Piranha Plant all are good options for the 9.9 thing, since all of their fights are 1v1s.
There's also the ones that give you a partner, like Dark Samus, Chrom or Donkey Kong, that make things a bit easier.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It took me two months, but I finally have every individual spirit in the game, including enhanceable and non-enhanced ones. With every other challenge (except the online ones) done, I can say this felt much more enriching than Smash 4 in the single player department. Still wish there were more to do and I hope future DLC adds more spirits, but alas.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Did Zero give up on tourney play? I remember him going to one big tournament.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Zero give up on tourney play? I remember him going to one big tournament.

Sorta.
He wants to focus on his stream and YouTube stuff (which, in the end, is what most pro players aim for, anyway, these days), and only attend certain tournaments, because going to tourneys a lot would cut into his revenue from his non-tourney content, because he can't stream as regularly.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I finally gave in and switched right stick to Tilt Attack, because I'm trying to get better with Falco and he relies so heavily on tilts. Now I just gotta unlearn 17-ish years of C-Stick == Smash Attack. >_>

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a fucking depressing sentence to say about a brand new, super popular competitive game.

Going to tourneys will mean he's not going to be able to stream for several days. Almost every successful Twitch streamer can tell you that if you miss a few days, your sub count drops significantly. This also comes coupled with the costs of traveling, hotel, and entry fees. And if he were going to a lot of tourneys, there would be a lot of downtime. And obviously there's no guarantee on how much money you will end up making - sometimes, you don't place high enough to even get anything out of the pot, even if you're great, because you have a bad day or whatever.

Tournament winnings simply do not pay out enough to cover the loss of income combined with the expenses of going to them. The fact Ultimate is popular and new doesn't change that fact. So I don't see how it's depressing.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Tournament winnings simply do not pay out enough to cover the loss of income combined with the expenses of going to them. The fact Ultimate is popular and new doesn't change that fact. So I don't see how it's depressing.
It's depressing because tournament winnings should pay enough to cover the loss of subscribers. Big Smash tournaments have pathetic pot sizes that are way below average for other fighting games, much less other esports like CSGO and LoL.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's depressing because tournament winnings should pay enough to cover the loss of subscribers. Big Smash tournaments have pathetic pot sizes that are way below average for other fighting games, much less other esports like CSGO and LoL.

Ah, fair enough I guess. I thought you were saying that it's depressing that ZeRo is prioritizing his streaming career over being a pro-player.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, fair enough I guess. I thought you were saying that it's depressing that ZeRo is prioritizing his streaming career over being a pro-player.
Yeah, I have no animosity for him doing what he has to do to get paid.

I can't think of anyone that could make a living off of Smash tournament winnings alone. Probably couldn't even pay for travelling to them.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Here's Doc's changes

(most of these are just changes Mario got that Doc inherited)

Doc is still robbed of a proper home stage that he was meant to get in Smash 4

Seems like the physics on the stethoscope & coat got changed to be more wild and less wild respectively.

I wonder why they didn't change his downsmash animation. The Mario DDR breakdance kick looks ridiculous on Dr. Mario and probably would have been something I'd change before, say, the super sheet.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys!
Sooo anyone knows how to get out of that cheap af ganon combo move? The one with the grab and then the kick in the ground?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys!
Sooo anyone knows how to get out of that cheap af ganon combo move? The one with the grab and then the kick in the ground?
You just tech it. Granted he could still get a follow up if he reads it but if the Ganon is constantly kicking then he knows you're not teching it and taking the free follow up. If that shit was guaranteed then Ganon would be way better than he is now but it has counterplay.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Hello guys!

Last Ganondorf I remember playing tried to follow up with a down-smash instead of a kick, it was amusing as I wasn't sure if he was doing it by accident or not.

I beat all of the spirits in World of Light. The Boss went down to my Pac-Man and a level 99 4-star spirit on my corner.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you guys, i'll try.

Still, think maybe i'm not made for this game. I tend to get so frustrated playing online, it reminds me of some high level splatoon2 sutuations i lived that left me stressed out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason I find teching super difficult when playing online. For Ganon's side-b in particular I can get it almost 100% of the time when playing offline but it's 50/50 at best when playing online. Hard to tell if it's genuinely related to the internet connection or if it's just because I'm getting tilted and sick of fighting the same Ganondorf strategy over and over

Last Ganondorf I remember playing tried to follow up with a down-smash instead of a kick, it was amusing as I wasn't sure if he was doing it by accident or not.

I beat all of the spirits in World of Light. The Boss went down to my Pac-Man and a level 99 4-star spirit on my corner.
Ganon's down smash will hit every time if they roll backwards or roll up after missing the tech and can hit if they do tech but don't act immediately, so while not ideal it's a decent mix-up and can kill even earlier than f-tilt.