• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
While checking dark samus on a whim I learned that apparently, Samus got a hitbox on her back thrusters that happen during her final smash. Dark Samus does not have this hitbox because she doesnt have the thursters.

Weird!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's not any hackers in this like splatoon is there? I faced someone playing mario and he definitely seemed to be moving faster than other people that play Mario

I may be mistaken but he was all over the map

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I was playing on Fourside tonight and realized something about the stage

It kinda sucks

It looks great and it's cool to have to back, but that layout is... not good

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
got smash on launch, forgot to redeem my points until now. Am I not able to get my piranha plant for free?

You're probably shit out of luck. You can try and get in touch with Nintendo support and show them a receipt, but I wouldn't bank on them being able to help.
It's not like Nintendo was particularly subtle about it, either.

It kinda sucks

Most of the stages are, honestly. Like, all this time I thought "man it's awesome stage X is back, let's play on it!" and then I play on it and it sucks ass. There's so many stages like that lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to endlessly shit on Brawl and Smash For Wii U's stages for being bland and lifeless. Now thanks to hazard toggle I find myself drawn to them for being so simple and raw.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I used to endlessly shit on Brawl and Smash For Wii U's stages for being bland and lifeless. Now thanks to hazard toggle I find myself drawn to them for being so simple and raw.
I tend to play mostly on Brawl and 64 stages.

I think my most played stage is hazardless Norfair or Frigate Orpheon. Frigate Orpheon was always a favorite of mine in Brawl. Hyrule Castle is probably up near the top as well.

Ultimate made me realize that Melee had some pretty junk stages (Fourside, Venom, Brinstar Depths, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Yoshi's Island). Bringing back only the "good" 64 stages every game (DL, Kongo Jungle) also kinda made me forget 64 also had a few duds (like Mushroom Kingdom).

I think Brawl is the big winner with the hazard toggle, though. I find myself on those stages the most, I think. Yoshi's Island and Pokemon Stadium 2 are top tier stages.

I still think Smash 4 Wii U's stages are pretty mediocre, though. I only really play on Skyloft and Kalos League.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to play mostly on Brawl and 64 stages.

I think my most played stage is hazardless Norfair or Frigate Orpheon. Frigate Orpheon was always a favorite of mine in Brawl. Hyrule Castle is probably up near the top as well.

Ultimate made me realize that Melee had some pretty junk stages (Fourside, Venom, Brinstar Depths, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Yoshi's Island). Bringing back only the "good" 64 stages every game (DL, Kongo Jungle) also kinda made me forget 64 also had a few duds (like Mushroom Kingdom).

I think Brawl is the big winner with the hazard toggle, though. I find myself on those stages the most, I think. Yoshi's Island and Pokemon Stadium 2 are top tier stages.

I still think Smash 4 Wii U's stages are pretty mediocre, though. I only really play on Skyloft and Kalos League.

I used to play Melee for fun so the chaotic and organic levels appealed to most, but since I'm trying to play seriously I'm only interested in levels with as little business as possible.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone?

So I'm a Smash newbie, and so far I'm having a good time. My biggest challenge so far is how to engage opponents edge-grabbing— should I wait by the edge and prepare a certain action? If so my timing is always off or I'm trying the wrong action. I find myself automatically going for a smash attack, but it always backfires. Any recommendations?

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a Smash newbie, and so far I'm having a good time. My biggest challenge so far is how to engage opponents edge-grabbing— should I wait by the edge and prepare a certain action? If so my timing is always off or I'm trying the wrong action. I find myself automatically going for a smash attack, but it always backfires. Any recommendations?
A lot of what you should do depends on the character you've picked. Usually you only want to use a smash attack in that situation if you anticipate your opponents to get up straight into it. It shouldn't be what you default to. Throwing out quick moves is often much better because they are harder to punish.

Saw this video posted here some time ago and thought it taught the basics of ledgetrapping pretty well. I reckon it'd be helpful to you.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of what you should do depends on the character you've picked. Usually you only want to use a smash attack in that situation if you anticipate your opponents to get up straight into it. It shouldn't be what you default to. Throwing out quick moves is often much better because they are harder to punish.

Saw this video posted here some time ago and thought it taught the basics of ledgetrapping pretty well. I reckon it'd be helpful to you.

Thank you for this!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

It kinda sucks

I'm surprised it took you this long to notice!

Stages with a lot of small areas to stand/fight on scattered about in general tend to be clumsy as hell, its spiritual predecessor Saffron City knew to have a big slab o' rooftop to stop the entire fight being a nudge fest.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I found it quite opposite and I actually like Fourside stage. It was quite fun to play on if you aren't completely too serious when you're playing. I had it off if I want to play competitive.

That's a good thing about new additions where we could save our rulesets which made it easier to select the type of battles.

Edited: I understand that some people couldn't enjoy the stages because they probably want to play the games seriously so it's easier to find flaws with the stages. When I played with people that are all fun and laid back; it's opposite.

I'm probably only person here being happy with the fact all stages we have are back.

Last edited:

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really hate the GSP system. It makes me realize that I'm glad I'm not a gambler. I crawl my way out of 80k GSP all the way to 3 mil, and then I start auto piloting, and then I start making dumb mistakes, and then I start losing games I shouldn't, and then I get frustrated and keep trying to play and down down down goes the GSP.

Also I regret buying the Gamecube adapter and Gamecube controller... I much prefer using the Pro Wireless

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate the GSP system. It makes me realize that I'm glad I'm not a gambler. I crawl my way out of 80k GSP all the way to 3 mil, and then I start auto piloting, and then I start making dumb mistakes, and then I start losing games I shouldn't, and then I get frustrated and keep trying to play and down down down goes the GSP.
Isn't that the same with any skill-based, point ranking system in competitive games?

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that the same with any skill-based, point ranking system in competitive games?
I dunno, I guess I haven't really played much competitive online games. I mean, like in Halo or CoD all you do is get higher levels right?

But with GSP its like, "Oh Im only better than 80k people. I wanna be better than 3 million people". Its stupid and arbitrary and I hate myself for falling into it lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about new mains is having to relearn how to deal with basic bitch Chrom and Roys.

Anyway, how are you supposed to deal with Dedede as, well, any character? I feel completely locked down from Gordo Toss and any projectile I throw gets sucked up.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The worst part about new mains is having to relearn how to deal with basic bitch Chrom and Roys.

Anyway, how are you supposed to deal with Dedede as, well, any character? I feel completely locked down from Gordo Toss and any projectile I throw gets sucked up.
I usually just do a smash attack at the Gordo if I see it coming.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ness' Forward Smash legit has reflective properties, so you should be able to reflect the Gordo rather than just deflecting it.
Reflecting Gordo with an actual reflector is dangerous because Dedede can suck it up and send it right back, making the Gordo double-reflected and kill at absurdly low percents.

As Ness, it's better to just n-air it. Extremely quick option that covers his entire body, and doesn't require you to commit to anything.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reflecting Gordo with an actual reflector is dangerous because Dedede can suck it up and send it right back, making the Gordo double-reflected and kill at absurdly low percents.

As Ness, it's better to just n-air it. Extremely quick option that covers his entire body, and doesn't require you to commit to anything.

I can use NAir for that? Man I have been sleeping on too many of Ness' options.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone want to explain how to stop a really good captain falcon player that keeps charging you and grabs you everytime you land on the ground?

In some cases I felt like I was grabbed even a millisecond before I touched the ground

Every where I landed on the map he was there waiting for me
I air dodge right before I hit the ground he followed my dodge and grabs me after the dodge

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone want to explain how to stop a really good captain falcon player that keeps charging you and grabs you everytime you land on the ground?

In some cases I felt like I was grabbed even a millisecond before I touched the ground

Every where I landed on the map he was there waiting for me
I air dodge right before I hit the ground he followed my dodge and grabs me after the dodge

The best way to counter that kind of thing is to mix things up. Which character are you playing? Most have a good aerial that allows you to counter people dashing up to you to grab you.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best way to counter that kind of thing is to mix things up. Which character are you playing? Most have a good aerial that allows you to counter people dashing up to you to grab you.
I tried multiple characters, cloud, rob, yoshi, plant, wolf

It's not like I'm a bad player either I've gotten to elite with 3 chars, the most stock I could ever take from him was 1, and most of the time I couldn't even do that most fights ended with him having 3 stocks

Last edited:

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it sucks that the Mario sports songs are on the regular Mario stages instead of the Mario Kart stages

It kinda sucks

I played online a couple of nights ago against a Roy whose rules were set to 3 stock/3 minutes that went to Fourside

they got a stock off me but ended up SDing between the buildings twice, so the last thirty seconds ending up being me standing on the left and the other guy standing over on the right, and I won because he didn't even try coming after me

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine a world where Mr. Game & Watch is actually a really good fighter? I wish I lived in that world.

The game was totally trolling me with GSP gains just now. While trying to get over the 3m barrier again, the game really did not want to give it to me. I thought I getting it, but then the game was like "nah, you're still 1,647 points away." Well, I lose and climb back up, and again the game tells me "my dude, you still need to get 35,528 points to be on that level." And again after that, I fall short with 1,647 points of 3 million GSP. Had to take a screenshot everytime because I just could not believe it.

Did manage to get it after that, but few things in this game are as frustrating as getting so close to reaching whatever arbitrary goal you've set yourself, and then the game refusing to give it to you.

Feb 10, 2018
Am I bad or are the people who play online really good ?

I main Little Mac and Piranha Plant and can't reach 4 000 000 points, when I get around that high, I get wrecked. And I know I don't play the "top tier" characters... is there a point when you really HAVE TO play the best characters to win ?

And I hate those who are really mean, like when they have one more life than you and like 1 or 2 minutes left will only escape you and taunt you (by getting down) all the time, I don't understand how you can enjoy doing that

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I bad or are the people who play online really good ?

I main Little Mac and Piranha Plant and can't reach 4 000 000 points, when I get around that high, I get wrecked. And I know I don't play the "top tier" characters... is there a point when you really HAVE TO play the best characters to win ?

And I hate those who are really mean, like when they have one more life than you and like 1 or 2 minutes left will only escape you and taunt you (by getting down) all the time, I don't understand how you can enjoy doing that

Think of GSP as a measure of your own skill level rather than a goal to surpass. If there's a point where you just can't go higher no matter what you do, then that's where you've hit your plateau. I myself only really average out 3.5 mil with my mains.

Can you imagine a world where Mr. Game & Watch is actually a really good fighter? I wish I lived in that world.

I don't think I've ever won against G&W lol

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he is a really weird character so I get it. I also don't know what characters you're using.

He's pretty good against projectile heavy characters like the Mother boys. The bucket is by far his best move, but unfortunately that's not useful against everybody.

A lot of non-projectile characters can be trouble though. Especially fast ones like Captain Falcon, if they're playing really aggressively. Ganondorf on the other hand is completely free.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried multiple characters, cloud, rob, yoshi, plant, wolf

It's not like I'm a bad player either I've gotten to elite with 3 chars, the most stock I could ever take from him was 1, and most of the time I couldn't even do that most fights ended with him having 3 stocks

I'm not familiar enough with Cloud to know which moves he can use, but for Wolf, use landing FAirs and NAirs. Try to mix it up along with regular landings, and landing with airdodges, but keep attacking if your opponents tries to dash at you for a grab. FAir comes out faster, NAir stays out for 500 years.
With Yoshi, any aerial that isn't FAir should be coming out fast enough to allow you to attack an oncoming grabber. For Plant, I'd say NAir and UAir work well, and you also can use neutral B to spit a ball right in front of you to cover the space in front of you. ROB doesn't have all that many great options for landing attacks (FAir's alright), but because his movement is so easy to change up with BAir to delay your fall, Up B a bit to change your positioning and so on, you don't need a great landing aerial.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar enough with Cloud to know which moves he can use, but for Wolf, use landing FAirs and NAirs. Try to mix it up along with regular landings, and landing with airdodges, but keep attacking if your opponents tries to dash at you for a grab. FAir comes out faster, NAir stays out for 500 years.
With Yoshi, any aerial that isn't FAir should be coming out fast enough to allow you to attack an oncoming grabber. For Plant, I'd say NAir and UAir work well, and you also can use neutral B to spit a ball right in front of you to cover the space in front of you. ROB doesn't have all that many great options for landing attacks (FAir's alright), but because his movement is so easy to change up with BAir to delay your fall, Up B a bit to change your positioning and so on, you don't need a great landing aerial.
I did all that, he just shielded my air attacks then grabbed me right after my attack animation ended

Feb 10, 2018
Think of GSP as a measure of your own skill level rather than a goal to surpass. If there's a point where you just can't go higher no matter what you do, then that's where you've hit your plateau. I myself only really average out 3.5 mil with my mains.

I'm trying to unlock Elite Smash but I never managed to :'( if only they told you a goal to reach!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine if you have over 4 million gsp and think your pretty good, then you face someone in the arena that you can't even take 1 stock from

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Go back to my first post. You were able to kill with Peach easier in the older games...

The reason I brought this up is the percentage of losses I got because I made single mistakes each match in which the person just one smash hit me after building up opponents to over 140% to sometimes 160% each match. I know I'm not the the best Peach player but the average person can probably barely kill anyone with Peach...

Edit: Lolking at one post above, what do you even consider "killing really early" with FAir?

You realize she has combos into her few kill moves...right? It's also a edgeguard heavy game, and she has numerous tools to do so.

Like I know it's still relatively early in the meta, but she's typically considered #1 in the game. She's not easy to use, but there's many reasons why Peach/Daisy are considered at the top.

If you even just peek your head at the #SSBU_PEACH hashtag on Twitter, you can easily see the potential of the character. Don't complain about the lack of kill moves when you don't understand the character.

Here's an example.

There's not any hackers in this like splatoon is there? I faced someone playing mario and he definitely seemed to be moving faster than other people that play Mario

I may be mistaken but he was all over the map

No.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I watched a video on captain falcon and he can grab you before you touch the ground, doesn't this need to be fixed?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I watched a video on captain falcon and he can grab you before you touch the ground, doesn't this need to be fixed?

Edit: idk why this posted twice

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
You realize she has combos into her few kill moves...right? It's also a edgeguard heavy game, and she has numerous tools to do so.

Like I know it's still relatively early in the meta, but she's typically considered #1 in the game. She's not easy to use, but there's many reasons why Peach/Daisy are considered at the top.

If you even just peek your head at the #SSBU_PEACH hashtag on Twitter, you can easily see the potential of the character. Don't complain about the lack of kill moves when you don't understand the character.

Here's an example.

No.

Now show me a video where someone used that in an actual fight.

BTW, arguments so far confirm her terrible kill move potential; no one has refuted that.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
That's normal. I think everyone can grab you from air, although shorter characters have a harder time doing it. Pretty sure it's not new to this game either.

If this is related to what you talked about earlier; someone shielding your aerial and then grabbing you after the animation ended, maybe try moving away from when you notice they're shielding. I'm not too familiar with most of the characters you brought up in the earlier post, but at least with Yoshi's air mobility you should be able to get away, I think.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Now show me a video where someone used that in an actual fight.

BTW, arguments so far confirm her terrible kill move potential; no one has refuted that.

Did you even watch the Samsora matches linked by other people? Or the Twitter hashtag? You can look at it and see that bits and pieces are used. Even if she did just literally only have fair as a kill option, why would this be a bad thing when her neutral is great, damage output is bonkers and she has true combos into it? If you're consistently killing only at high percents with Peach, your edgeguarding and ledge trap game needs work. This really isn't that different from Peach in previous games, except now her combo game is crazier.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Did you even watch the Samsora matches linked by other people? Or the Twitter hashtag? You can look at it and see that bits and pieces are used. Even if she did just literally only have fair as a kill option, why would this be a bad thing when her neutral is great, damage output is bonkers and she has true combos into it? If you're consistently killing only at high percents with Peach, your edgeguarding and ledge trap game needs work. This really isn't that different from Peach in previous games, except now her combo game is crazier.
Yes and those videos still had player killing at high percentages most of the time. I'm not arguing her combo potential (though as I said, she is harder to combo with) I'm arguing her terrible killing potential...her forward grab used to kill people for God's sakes...

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and those videos still had player killing at high percentages most of the time. I'm not arguing her combo potential (though as I said, she is harder to combo with) I'm arguing her terrible killing potential...her forward grab used to kill people for God's sakes...

The problem is that you think you're playing a different game. All characters rack up damage fast and getting 100, even 200% is no longer the impossibility it once was. This is why people are countering your every mention of "but earlier games have her kill early". It is far easier to get people to the kill percentile than past games.