• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It probably doesn't mean anything. Smash 4 had a bunch of DLC placeholder slots that went unused.
Is that true? From what I remembered, there were only three after the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update, which was the final number we ended up getting.
stageslots.png

Regardless; unlike Smash 4, they already have a clear number of characters planned. I can't see the point in leaving in so many placeholder slots (here, and elsewhere in the game where there are even more dummy characters) if they aren't future-proofing for anything.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Is that true? From what I remembered, there were only three after the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update, which was the final number we ended up getting.
stageslots.png

Regardless; unlike Smash 4, they already have a clear number of characters planned. I can't see the point in leaving in so many placeholder slots (here, and elsewhere in the game where there are even more dummy characters) if they aren't future-proofing for something.
I might just be thinking of Ultimate. I think someone found a bunch of placeholder slots elsewhere in the game a few months ago.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I might just be thinking of Ultimate. I think someone found a bunch of placeholder slots elsewhere in the game a few months ago.
Yeah, they found 30 placeholder slots elsewhere in the game. I'm definitely not expecting all of these slots to be filled up this time, but the existence of these placeholder slots makes me a little more confident in content beyond the Fighters Pass (even if we just get some additional echo fighters or something), or that they are at least considering it internally.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
So, there are 16 dummy slot in the adventure mode. It's weird that there is 16 dummy slots (including Piranha Plant) in Adventure Mode but yet there are 30 dummy slots in another location. Would you think they would be more consistent with that?
The other list definitely has some unselectable stuff, like individual Ice Climber. So it kinda makes sense to expect more there.

On the other hand I don't understand why do they make these reservations at all. Extending the list while adding to it sounds dumber, but that's what I would do...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
The other list definitely has some unselectable stuff, like individual Ice Climber. So it kinda makes sense to expect more there.

On the other hand I don't understand why do they make these reservations at all. Extending the list while adding to it sounds dumber, but that's what I would do...
Probably makes it easier internally. Replacing files instead of outright adding them can make things easier in the long run. Every little bit counts!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

ARRRRRRAAAGGHHHHHAAAA

Warlock Punch has one of my favorite voice lines in every game

I do wish Ganondorf had a Melee costume, though. Or at least Melee colors. The giant grey cape would have meant they could have mostly left the other colors on his armor the same.

Anyway, Ganondorf is mostly entirely redone. Even simple animations like landing from a jump were remade. Ultimate is the best Ganondorf has ever looked in Smash. And I kind of wonder if someone's first game was Ultimate if they'd even realize the dark secret about Ganondorf's moveset origins.

Also apparently they snuck Metroid Prime music in Hyrule Warriors (I didn't actually know where that song came from, had to look it up)

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

ARRRRRRAAAGGHHHHHAAAA

Warlock Punch has one of my favorite voice lines in every game

I do wish Ganondorf had a Melee costume, though. Or at least Melee colors. The giant grey cape would have meant they could have mostly left the other colors on his armor the same.

Anyway, Ganondorf is mostly entirely redone. Even simple animations like landing from a jump were remade.

I didn't get the vibe of mostly entirely redone. I think shifting his posing to the camer a little and the new design kind of gloss over all the stuff that's the same:
His idles, his crouch, ledge animations (surprising, since a lot of characters changed from one arm pull ups), his rolls, his jumps, get ups (I NEVER NOTICED HO WHILARIOUS HIS GET UP ATTACK IS), tilts, jab, nair, dair, fair, neutral special, side special, up special, grab break away, down throw

not to say it's all 1:1, of course:
They altered his run so he had longer strides, gave him a new side step & dizzy animation, his uair seems to have some extra flourish, down special (especially on the start up and down air's end lag). The grabs except down throw are slightly redone (albeit with the same actions) so he faces the screen
And obviously his smash attacks now use the sword.

But over all I'd say they kept more than they threw out. Since he is still Ganondorf, after all.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
his question/point/observation was why are there dummy slots at all, not that there's 16 or 30 of them

No. That's what I meant.

I wonder why they aren't consistent with the numbers all over the map. If they actually had a plan for like 16 characters then there would be 16 slots in few different locations. Nope, this time, we got 30 slots in another location, and 16 slots in Adventure files structure.

I just find it interesting.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that Ganondorf is still so derivative when Ridley and K. Rool are in the game as completely unique characters. Ganondorf should be the highest priority villain after Bowser. I'd be content with just the magic projectile and a few more unique normals. The projectile is such an integral part of his most iconic boss fight that he doesn't feel right without it.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
No. That's what I meant.

I wonder why they aren't consistent with the numbers all over the map. If they actually had a plan for like 16 characters then there would be 16 slots in few different locations. Nope, this time, we got 30 slots in another location, and 16 slots in Adventure files structure.

I just find it interesting.
I didn't reply to you, though, I replied to Stan, specifically this part

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Falcondorf is better because fighting him feels like taking on an overwhelming, all powerful force of destruction befitting that of a boss than any wizard Ganondorf could muster.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like where Ganondorf is in Smash

His Nair is the one of the only moves from Captain Falcon that I think still looks kinda weird.
It is kind of funny how defined he is by a tech demo, though.

He finally gets his sword and it's one he technically never actually used
Although, could you imagine if he had kept the TP aesthetics? He'd probably have gotten Marth's smash attacks

Feb 10, 2018
Is it me or are there a lot of assholes online ?

People spamming projectiles and escaping, or people escaping when they have one more life than you, trying to win thanks to the timer ?

I don't get the enjoyment they get from doing that.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
The only thing I wish they changed about Ganondorf is his neutral B. They should have made it a projectile similar to MewTwo's, in line with the move he uses during the final boss fight in Ocarina of Time.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017

People spamming projectiles and escaping, or people escaping when they have one more life than you, trying to win thanks to the timer ?

Welcome to fighting games. People will try to win, even if it's by using tactics that are grating to you.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, but this is scrub quotes material. If you're going to be playing in the competitive 1v1 format, then some of the win conditions and goals for certain characters and playstyles is to relentlessly annoy you or play keepaway. That doesn't make them an asshole, and zoning can be quite enjoyable.

I thought this would be more about actual BM, or how it seems Smash players are some of the saltiest when it comes to fighting games in general.

Feb 10, 2018
Sorry, but this is scrub quotes material. If you're going to be playing in the competitive 1v1 format, then some of the win conditions and goals for certain characters and playstyles is to relentlessly annoy you or play keepaway. That doesn't make them an asshole, and zoning can be quite enjoyable.

I thought this would be more about actual BM, or how it seems Smash players are some of the saltiest when it comes to fighting games in general.

Well, if you have characters such as Kirby or other flying ones in big stages, they can fly around with you ever being able to reach and fight them, am I really "salty" for finding such a strategy not really interesting or respectful of the opponent ?

I totally get that some characters use strategies that can be annoying/frustrating, but that's not what I'm talking about, it's part of the game. Here I talk completely avoiding the fact and running/flying around for 1 or 2 minutes to win the match.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you have characters such as Kirby or other flying ones in big stages, they can fly around with you ever being able to reach and fight them, am I really "salty" for finding such a strategy not really interesting or respectful of the opponent ?

I totally get that some characters use strategies that can be annoying/frustrating, but that's not what I'm talking about, it's part of the game. Here I talk completely avoiding the fact and running/flying around for 1 or 2 minutes to win the match.
On some level, I get it, but FGs aren't about respecting your opponent. It's about winning. It crosses the line when someone is being deliberately disrespectful with actions like teabagging or relentlessly taunting, but if it's about playstyle? Whatever works goes.

And the thing is that there are always ways to beat it, just need to think and train on how. If it's about people running away when they get a lead? Try to ensure they don't get that lead. If they do? Focus on their movement as they run away and punish them for it.

Running down the clock is totally a valid way to play in any FG out there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying out some new characters today.

Richter: Not a fan of his recovery but he's still fun. Packs a huge punch but I'm not sure how to KO at low percentages. Thank god he's faster than Simon.

Ridley: He's too goddamn big. He can do crazy damage but he feels like a pinata.

Roy: Ha just kidding I'm not that basic.

Luigi: Luigi is weird. His jump is weird. His attacks are weird. Everything about him is weird. I feel like if I put in the work with him I can make something that shines.

Falco: He's supposed to be low tier or something right? He honestly feels like the best of the Star Fox characters. Not as strong as Wolf but at least his recovery isn't trash.

Lucario: Lots of fun. Kinda feels shallow like Falco and I'm not sure how to KO, but he feels good to play.

Last edited:

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Falco: He's supposed to be low tier or something right? He honestly feels like the best of the Star Fox characters. Not as strong as Wolf but at least his recovery isn't trash.
I think I've seen people place him in upper half of mid tier for the most part. Still lowest of the of the spacies.

I hated playing Falco at first, but I've grown to like him more. He's got a good combo game and he's good off stage.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've seen people place him in upper half of mid tier for the most part. Still lowest of the of the spacies.

I hated playing Falco at first, but I've grown to like him more. He's got a good combo game and he's good off stage.

I like him. It feels like landing a bunch of precise rapier thrusts.

Feb 10, 2018
On some level, I get it, but FGs aren't about respecting your opponent. It's about winning. It crosses the line when someone is being deliberately disrespectful with actions like teabagging or relentlessly taunting, but if it's about playstyle? Whatever works goes.

And the thing is that there are always ways to beat it, just need to think and train on how. If it's about people running away when they get a lead? Try to ensure they don't get that lead. If they do? Focus on their movement as they run away and punish them for it.

Running down the clock is totally a valid way to play in any FG out there.

Well, I just had a match with one of these assholes. I play little Mac, he plays lucina, and I got him : we're about to finish the match, he's got only one life, around 100% and 2mn left.

He decides to go at the top of the stage and hop from one platform to another. He knows that as a little Mac I have now way to reach him fast and beat him. His aerial play is way better than mine. He starts tea bagging too

hg05Kk8.jpg

But I notice a pattern in the way he jumps so I managed to get some punches, but it's very slow and the clock is ticking

YvcujsB.jpg

I eventually manage to win... And of course he disconnects and I get no points.

01iUpMt.jpg

This is the kind of asshole I'm talking about.

I'll never get my 4 million points, I'm stuck with 3.9 aaaaaah

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Had echoes been on the CSS based on when they were revealed, instead of being next to their base characters, would Dark Pit have been between Palutena and Pac Man, or between Shulk and Bowser Jr?

Palutena's trailer showed/teased him, but he wasn't officially confirmed as a character until after the 3DS version came out on the official site

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Had echoes been on the CSS based on when they were revealed, instead of being next to their base characters, would Dark Pit have been between Palutena and Pac Man, or between Shulk and Bowser Jr?

Palutena's trailer showed/teased him, but he wasn't officially confirmed as a character until after the 3DS version came out on the official site
Between Shulk and Bowser Jr.

Speaking of which, a customizable drag-and-drop character (and stage) select screen is near the top of my wishlist for this game.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I think they would go with when the character is revealed to be a fighter, rather than as a tease.

The closest thing we have to a Dark Pit situation is probably Melee's opening secretly teasing Ganondorf & Pichu (& Jigglypuff but that's a different thing), but the secret characters still go by VS match unlock order.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Speaking of which, a customizable drag-and-drop character (and stage) select screen is near the top of my wishlist for this game.
That's really my dream addition to the game (more so on the character select; I don't mind the stage select layout honestly). Though, if they did it (which I don't have much faith in), I hope I can fully separate the echoes in order to make the layout exactly how I want it.

The Melee intro sure is something.

TKKFE9K.png

#justiceforgoroh
Imagine if Smash 4's opening used a clip of Chrom from Lucina/Robin's trailer lol.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's weird, but as a kid, I didn't actually assume those three were playable, despite being in the intro

Probably a combination of not knowing who Ridley was and also because a bajillion Pokémon that never appear in the game, even as trophies, appear in the intro.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
For fun, though, I think here is what the numbering would look like if numbering was based on first appearance in the series period.
Strictly speaking the opening chooses one random one for the start and then the characters flash by before being "properly" introduced. We'll ignore the first one since otherwise everyone and no one is #1 but for the second it's
1. Samus
2. Fox
3. Mario
4. Pikachu
5. DK
6. Link
7. Yoshi
8. Kirby
9-12 we'll keep the same, since they all show up on screen at the same time in the opening.
After that I figured stages would matter first since you can instantly select those
13. Ridley. Samus comes before Kirby, so Ridley's stage cameo will come before...
14. King Dedede.
15. Piranha Plant. Comes last because the stage is unlockable
16. Charizard. I will accept arguments to before PP since the stage is unlockable.

The presence of arwings could mean Falco can be renumbered too, but since you can't see in the cockpit I'm living him out! Could be anyone in there!

Melee we'll go Opening, Unlockable characters not in the opening, Trophies in numerical order. I don't think there's any early cameos in the stages. There are unlockable trophies but that's just a pain to put numbers to so even Olimar will be placed by number. I probably should have gone with the special e3 cut of the melee opening but I forgot about that until now so oops!

17. Peach
18. Bowser
19. Young Link. There is a brief second in the OOT screenshot role where you see young link so sure.
20. Sheik. The opening has a bunch of screenshots of....young zelda! Which I'm willing to accept arguments counts as Zelda until she doesn't but it's funnier if Sheik just keeps shwoing up before Zelda.
21. Zelda. Hand is in the triforce, comes in just ebfore ganondorf and she's starting roster anyway so I'll give her priority.
22. Ganondorf. Hand is in the triforce bit too
23. Ice Climbers
24. Wolf. You see other arwings but still cant make out a falco so alas he takes another L
25. Pichu
26. Dr. Mario
27. Falco
28. Marth
29. Mewtwo
30. Roy
31. Mr. Game & Watch
32. Squirtle. Trophy 123
33. Wario. Trophy 204
34. Daisy. Trophy 206
35. King K Rool. Trophy 218
36. Meta Knight. Trophy 240
37. Olimar. Trophy 274.
38. Pit. Trophy 283

Duck Hunt's only trophy was the random ducks so alas
Brawl will be Reveal Trailer, Dojo, Unlockables, Trophies...icons....

39. Zero Suit Samus
40. Snake
41. Villager. Smashville is shown on the dojo with Villager in the background
42. Palutena. Surprise! You see Palutena in the screenshots showcasing the SSE
43. Ike
44. Ivysaur
45. ROB. There's an SSE post about the army showing rob-as-ancient-minister and the rob squad. Counts!
46. Diddy Kong
47. Lucas
48. Sonic
49. Little Mac. Had his own Assist post
50. Lucario
51. Toon Link
52. Bowser Jr. Trophies aren't given exact numbers this time, so I'm going in default order
53. Dark Samus
54, 55, 56. The Miis. Well. You can use Miis as an icon for online stuff.

Smash 4 goes by trailers, then trophies, then DLC
57. Mega Mn
58. Wii Fit Trainer
59. Rosalina
60. Greninja
61. Dark Pit. Not counting the fallen angel colors from Brawl, sorry
62. Pac-Man
63. Lucina
64. Chrom
65. Robin
66. Shulk
67. Duck Hunt
68. Isabelle. Assist trophy
69. Ryu
70. Ken. Trophy came with purchase of Ryu.
71. Inkling. The costume and trophies were made available alongside Ryu
72. Cloud
73. Corrin
74. Bayonetta

Ultimate
75. Simon
76. Richter
77. Incineroar
78. Joker

I think that's it...I probably missed some background details. Trophy orders are up for debate.

TrainerLyra

Jun 21, 2018
SmashERA has been welcoming and awesome to play with, thank you all for that! But does anybody know of a place where you can consistently find 1v1 matches for serious training to be the very best like no one ever was?

If anyone here wants a training partner like myself for a few times a week at most that'd be lovely too! Just DM me if interested.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
SmashERA has been welcoming and awesome to play with, thank you all for that! But does anybody know of a place where you can consistently find 1v1 matches for serious training to be the very best like no one ever was?

If anyone here wants a training partner like myself for a few times a week at most that'd be lovely too! Just DM me if interested.
Check out Anther's Ladder.