• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This looks cool, thank you!

I do have an important related question for SmashERA: is it worth it to buy the Switch wired Internet adapter? How much of a difference does it make for (amateur) competitive play?
Huge difference. I can immediately tell when someone is playing wireless. If your goal is to become competitive offline, then wireless isn't going to come close to simulating that kind of environment.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Hey guys, remember how I made a sad post complaining about me being an idiot and missing the qualifying finals for the Nintendo Open tournament?
It seems that my Discord-illiteracy has doomed me.

Remember how I mentioned two weekends ago how I qualified for the finals for my region in the Nintendo tournament? Turns out I was supposed to provide extra info about myself as of a week ago. Thing is, I tried to figure out if I had to do anything extra to make sure my registration was finalized, but I never received any direct help in that regard.

Or, at least, I didn't think I did. Turns out that I was DM'ed on the 19th from one of the organizers who wanted to inquire about my info. I just simply never noticed because I almost never use Discord and could not tell apart a DM notification from a Discord group one.

I was also e-mailed, but I didn't see the e-mail until now because it was filtered. I literally had to type "Nintendo" into the search bar to find it. I only did that because I had an ominous suspicion that something was wrong.

So now I'm basically trying to appeal to the organizers to let me get my registration done, since I did earnestly try to figure out how to do it and the waiting period between the this qualifier and the final is 2 weeks instead of 1 week like it is for the others.

I hope for the best here, but my expectations are rock-bottom. It's just awful knowing I threw away a chance like this due to my own incompetency. Sure, there's one more qualifier I can participate in, but even disregarding the jank ruleset my mental state is completely shattered right now. v_v
Well, I somehow managed to work my way, again, into the last qualifying finals for this thing! And this time I MADE SURE to not mess up my registration.

It was quite a wild ride for me this week since I didn't actually make it to top 4 initially, but I won the runner-up bracket and became first in line to replace someone, and luckily for me someone from my region did not check in on time, so now I am officially in the top 4!

Wish me luck on Saturday! I'm going to do my best to not let this chance slip away again.

Oh, and go cheer on Anonymous Tipster too, since he's again in the qualifying finals for his region.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't take Battlefield only anymore so I switched to Hazardless Random. Patch 3.0.0 seriously needs to bring in a stage select for online.

Tried some more characters tonight.

Greninja: He feels really tricky. I see lots of good Greninjas online so there's obviously a lot of meat to the character but I feel like I'm floundering with him.

Meta Knight: Does this character do any damage at all? I'm not even sure how I KO with him lol. I'll keep at it in the hopes of discovering his combos and KO options but he feels like a little too much effort.

Cloud: If I stick with any character out of this experiment it'll be Cloud. He feels really raw and simple to grasp yet he has so many good options.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there was another recent topic about it, it's not meant that way since other black spirit fighters/characters are also represented by other character than the Kongs and some of the white spirit fighters/characters (Sumo Brothers for example) are also represented by the Kongs. But it's unfortunate that such a history exists that can (and for many does) make it look really bad.

Edit: Here's the recent topic, was already a few pages back:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/it...he-racist-stereotypes-in-spirits-mode.105190/

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god Dedede is so fucking fun aaaaaahhhh

The only thing I don't like is that his dash attack and FSmash are too deceptively slow.

Think my line up from now will be Ness, Cloud, Inkling, Dedede and Greninja.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Has there been any datamining saying they're overhauling the online to not be complete shit? The GSP system is so bad, I can't fathom how anyone thought this was a good solution

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Hey guysm. I need your advice.

Been playing online today and it has been nothing but losses. My GSP is at 90,000 and honestly I'm feeling pretty sucky right about now. Honestly I didn't think my skills were this bad.

The worst part is, the more I lose, the worse I feel and the worse my reflexes become. It is a vicious cycle.

For example, there was this Lucas that did nothing but spam pk fire and pk freeze... and he won. I mean, that hurts.

Guess I just need to vent a little. But any advice to getting better would be welcome.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what prompted my interest in the character, but recently I've really been diggin' Incineroar. I tried him out for a few matches when the game first launched, but he didn't really "click" with me. Lately, though, I'm quite enjoying wrapping my head around this grappling bruiser cat, who's a bit more methodical in his approach than expected.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not understand how datamining works?...
In all seriousness, this may not be obvious.

Suppose, hypothetically, that Bamco pulls a Mortal Kombat XL and replaces the netcode with something else. (Yeah, I have that in mind because of the Mortal Kombat XL netcode GDC presentation thread.) This would likely not involve any additional assets whatsoever. Some other company could hypothetically roll it out as an option, but not Nintendo. Therefore, the only place where this could show would be code structure involving things common between old and new system, as stuff very specific to the new system would likely get optimized out by the compiler (it's incredibly unlikely they would do that part in a higher-level, slower interpreted script language, that is if Ultimate has any in the first place, I read on TCRF they systematically eliminated one out of Smash 4). This is extremely hard to notice except in hindsight.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guysm. I need your advice.

Been playing online today and it has been nothing but losses. My GSP is at 90,000 and honestly I'm feeling pretty sucky right about now. Honestly I didn't think my skills were this bad.

The worst part is, the more I lose, the worse I feel and the worse my reflexes become. It is a vicious cycle.

For example, there was this Lucas that did nothing but spam pk fire and pk freeze... and he won. I mean, that hurts.

Guess I just need to vent a little. But any advice to getting better would be welcome.

I would recommend going into smash mode one player, and do 4-player smash on level 7 or 8 (not the highest). Record your matches to see where your weaknesses are.

I know the tough feeling losing so much :( Ended up finding a new main because I found I was taking way too many losses simply falling off and being too scared fighting on stage ends (Cloud, with his poor recovery).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it known if there are some online players that don't go to tournaments that are better than tournament players?

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
Not quite sure how this has happened, but I've become addicted to watching competitive Smash.

I have barely paid attention to esports for my entire life. 15 years ago in high school I was really into Day of Defeat, played in cal-invite and did a couple locals, and even then I didn't really care enough to watch the best players. Meanwhile I'm terrible at Smash but find these tournaments completely engrossing.

Before the Switch I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the NES. So all these stupidly good first party franchises are new to me. I probably put ~250 hours into Mario Kart 8 deluxe (incredible) and now Smash is the new obsession.

Since getting into competitive Smash, I tried to watch other fighting games to see if I would like them. Nope. Whether it's the huge roster, speed and unpredictability, personalities, idk man but nothing compares. I started out just watching the Grand Finals of Genesis and now I'm streaming pools in non-majors, things have gotten out of hand.

My favourites so far: Marss, VoiD, Awestin, Tea, Samsora, Wishes

Oct 25, 2017
I WON!

I earned myself a free trip to PAX East! =D

Congrats to Poltergust for getting a spot in. Sorry that Tipster didn't.

Saw a match with my brother as Incineroar and won his shot into the PAX Finals.
Lemme tell you, I only won against him 5% of the time.

This will be his first PAX event and 3rd Nintendo tournament (1st was Kid Icarus Uprising, 2nd was Smash 3DS)

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Congrats, especially for having to deal with the ruleset + Smash online lol.

You use Yoshi the whole time?
Yup. Yoshi is top-tier for this because:

-It's online.
-Yoshi is really good with items due to his overall fantastic mobility. He can avoid Pokemon/ATs pretty well, too.
-He has several ways to kill-confirm into his Final Smash (I even demonstrated this in my first set against the Lucas player).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's an online tournament going on by JL gamers right now with a 70$ prize how do I get into something like this?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In some more sadder competitive news, Lima and Tamim have completely retired from competitive Smash, mainly for personal reasons and general community disdain. Tamim closed his Twitter account, Lima posted this Twitlonger.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqr80q

I'm going to move on from the smash community. I've been thinking about how frustrated I've been getting with this game and the people in it for months and finally I realized I could just leave.

Every day I feel like this game wasn't meant for me more and more. At first I thought I could make bayo work if I just stayed dedicated, 4 months later and a long story short it isn't going to happen. Truly thought I could just go from top tier to top tier at the snap of my fingers but I guess in the end I actually did love bayo more than anyone else and switching was impossible.

The sudden influx of people who like watching me helped a lot at first but then I realized it's just because I manage to win games with... her. Now I really just feel like a circus act when I play on stream, not a real competitor.

The main reason I want to leave though is the community. A year ago today I'd say "The hate is strong but I've made so many great friends who help me get past it..!"
But lately I'm realizing that shit is really not normal at all. Why am I supposed to just hold that? I never wanted smash to be a career and never will.

I came into the smash community watching compilations and playing online, I just wanted to hit cool combos and be fun to watch. That's it. I became good at it by chance but I never signed up for whatever this is.

Top players that people idolize and I thought were my friends told me people only played me for bayo practice and just cut me off immediately when Ultimate came out. Others are predatory creeps but no one will say anything because connections > being a decent person.

Meanwhile a bunch of other people I thought were my friends talk bad about me the second I'm not looking. I could get sad about it but in reality... why entertain this shit when I can just exit?

Basically the community stopped clicking for me and the game didn't click even once. I'm not in the situation that made me adore smash in the first place so it's best that I just go, bye everyone!

Bayo representation is pretty much dead now.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Holy shit is shulk the hardest character to use? There has got to be a better way to change powers...

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Are you holding the B button down? You can switch to any art that way pretty easily.
Ty! I kind of figured it out but I be also been backslash while trying to selected a power. This problem could be from having an issue with joy con not fully going in run when I jab to the right, all it does if tilt so the character moves slow and does attacks I don't want...any ideas on fixes?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ty! I kind of figured it out but I be also been backslash while trying to selected a power. This problem could be from having an issue with joy con not fully going in run when I jab to the right, all it does if tilt so the character moves slow and does attacks I don't want...any ideas on fixes?
Uh, could you rephrase that?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
In a series reboot, what would be changed about the returning characters?

Honestly, I think those veterans are fine on their owns. I know some people want a huge revamps for many characters but I think they are good on their owns. Some characters meant to be base enough for newcomers to try and learn how to play Smash.

However, can they give Snake his mine move back please!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

New animation comparison, this one is all about the win poses for the original 12. ned_ballad has brought up before how even the same psoes have gotten some touch up in Ultimate, but I never appreicated how each game touches them in some ways. I always took it for granted that they were just 1:1 since Melee where applicable. Donkey Kong's chest beat is a great example, changing how he'll face the camera, his expressions, what he does after the end of the animation and adding (& changing) sounds.

I'm sad that Mario doesnt' say "Letsa goooo" anymore.

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
Nairo immediately became one of my favs after that, jesus

The tension with Ganon is so intense, feels like death is always imminent

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
That was one of the most hype things I've seen in Smash history... Especially against LIGHT! He can be just downright oppressive. That was absolutely incredible.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone found a genuine difference between Peach and Daisy and thankfully it means that Daisy is worse than Peach, albeit barely

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That set is the stuff of legends... Nairo choosing Ganondorf had become a kind of running gag in the chat, but lo and behold, after losing his first 2 games, threw caution to the wind and brought out the Great King of Evil, and actually managed to get a win over Light's crazy oppressive Fox.

And then another win.
And ultimately (heh), he won the set.

Freaking incredible.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, Ganondorf may have worked against Fox, but ZSS can recover much more safely. It was a great effort though.