• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Mute City is also 2D, which is interesting because it wasn't in Smash 4
Checking it out, they weirdly didn't alter the camera controls for it. All the other 2D stages make it so you can only pivot slightly to see the effect (& gives everyone a fun "holographic" feel due to the lighting engine) or lock the z axis entirely on Super Mario Maker. But F Zero gives full 180 degree camera control like a standard stage. I wonder if at one point they wanted to make all the "sprite" stages (75m, Balloon Fight, Mario Bros) into 2D stages? 75m's new default camera and layout imitates Balloon Fight, feels like something they might've toyed with.

DreamLand GB is also kind of weird because it makes it into a diorama. The stage actually has depth to it! And all the characters billboard towards the camera like sprites, where they don't do that in the other 2D stages. It's a pretty neat effect, I guess it was made with the 3DS' 3D in mind?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Best piranha plant play ever

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
ngl I'd buy color packs, provided they weren't overpriced. Like, not even fancy alternate costumes, just new colors.

Though, I wonder how much that'd worsen the loading problems on the CSS...
Well they could start by not requiring the CSS to pre-load hundreds of 10k x 10k images for a 600x600 sized box

I wonder if it has to do with loading the VS screen giant images. I think it probably uses those for both the CSS and the VS screen, but there's probably a better way to do it

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Well they could start by not requiring the CSS to pre-load hundreds of 10k x 10k images for a 600x600 sized box

I wonder if it has to do with loading the VS screen giant images. I think it probably uses those for both the CSS and the VS screen, but there's probably a better way to do it
I think they use different images. Uh let's see here I think this is the one used on the CSS.
gtPgsI9.png

But this is the one used on splash screens, more of the full body.
81Af18u.jpg

the CSS one could probably cut off more (it's still larger than what's displayed in game, though that's standard iirc), but i dunno if it would be noticeably faster.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
oh no, not the POKEMON

Pikachu actually has quite a few new animations and all of his old animations have been adjusted to be slightly facing the camera

Also Pikachu's tail is a different shape entirely in Ultimate for whatever reason

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
oh no, not the POKEMON

Pikachu actually has quite a few new animations and all of his old animations have been adjusted to be slightly facing the camera

Also Pikachu's tail is a different shape entirely in Ultimate for whatever reason

Huh yeah, there's more new and pretty tweaked animations throughout. I'm surprised. I do maintain that Smash 4's Pikachu coloring is better than Ultimate's. All the other Pokemon I feel are improved (& boy will we have a solid 2 months to see that in motion) but Pikachu's just a bit too pale.

Also a great stage to showcase the new lighting engine. Look at those shadows!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Huh yeah, there's more new and pretty tweaked animations throughout. I'm surprised. I do maintain that Smash 4's Pikachu coloring is better than Ultimate's. All the other Pokemon I feel are improved (& boy will we have a solid 2 months to see that in motion) but Pikachu's just a bit too pale.

Also a great stage to showcase the new lighting engine. Look at those shadows!
Yea, Pikachu being so pale is even more jarring because Pichu is in the game

Ultimate's lighting makes Pichu and Pikachu appear to be the same color, even if Pichu is supposed to be paler than Pikachu.

Its coloring was better in 4, although on some stages Pikachu ended up looking a little too green. But the overall higher saturation made Pikachu's colors look better.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So about the final section in World of Light, I'm guessing I don't need to have defeated the exact same number of black/white dots? Because I have like 4 more dark beaten than light but the background still show the dark half overtaking more of the screen. Does it just need to be balanced in the middle for the true/best end?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So about the final section in World of Light, I'm guessing I don't need to have defeated the exact same number of black/white dots? Because I have like 4 more dark beaten than light but the background still show the dark half overtaking more of the screen. Does it just need to be balanced in the middle for the true/best end?
If you beat everything you'll be fine.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm getting frustrated with myself because I'm always on the cusp of Elite but I can never break the final barrier. I'm at 4 million GSP now and apparently Elite is in the neighborhood of 4.2. Breaking 4 million was a personal accomplishment as I've been stuck in the 3.7-3.9 range for weeks, but I'm feeling like I'm peaking in my skill ceiling. I'm a self taught player, so maybe I need to look up techs and stuff, but keeping in mind advanced strategies while playing is difficult and takes away from the fun. Maybe that's just what it takes though.

I'd like to at least get K. Rool into Elite for bragging rights, but the higher I go the harder it is to deal with tiny, fast characters who can juggle him easily. Or people with bullshit set-ups; earlier I almost broke 4 million but got a match up with Little Mac on Pac-Land with items. After a couple of more matches I was able to do it for real, but now I truly think it's going to be difficult to keep ranking up. Maybe I don't play as much as I need to for that skill level (150 hours), but it'd be at least a nice personal accomplishment if I could get my main into Elite.

please give him some buffs in 3.0 so I can break the ceiling

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Fun Dr. Mario facts. In Smash 4, they applied multipliers to everything Mario had. So a universal x1.22 attack buff and an assortment of 0.xx multipliers on his Jumps, Ground Speed & Air Speed.
For Ultimate they seeemed to have gotten rid of the universal attack buff multiplier (each attack now has a different power to it) but kept the other multipliers for Jump/GS/AS. And by kept I mean changed them from ie x0.82 to 0.7942 so now Dr. Mario's already wonky numbers look like this: 1.397792
At some point surely it'd be easier to just hardcode in his stats.

OK everyone! Smash is going to start very soon for the PAX East event! Tune in and cheer me on!
=D
good luck dude

And hey here's the stream for everyone https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I felt that wii fit trainer final smash in my soul, poltergust

but damn that pac-man was good

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
After playing FF7 for awhile (11 hours) I now know why people are so annoyed there's so little music from the game in Smash

The soundtrack is out of this world

...and Dissidia and Advent Children both have plenty of remixes they could have added for some more variety.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely not a picture of a figurine, but the render is gonna be used for the Joker amiibo anyway.
And it isn't overdetailed, it has about as many details as any other Ultimate render of realistic-styled characters. The only reason it looks "plastic"-like is because of the coat being leather and thus being more reflective.

Take a look at Cloud's render:
i1548906552968734.png

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Okay then, let me phrase it straight: companies that make money on other companies' products are liable to have their jokes reference these products. This part doesn't ring any bells to me, the timing and the flatness of the information do.

If Best Buy made a post "revealing" that Fighters Pass will feature Joker, Master Chief, Donald Duck, Goku and Best Buy CEO, I would consider that somewhat funny.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watching a tournament where melee took over the main stage and it's puff vs. iceys and people in the chat are antsy for ultimate

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
watching a tournament where melee took over the main stage and it's puff vs. iceys and people in the chat are antsy for ultimate

It's funny because in the Top 16 for Ultimate of that tourney, there was a solid amount of hype for the ICs player that made it super far. :D
That player is still in the Loser Bracket, if I recall right.

Sakurai made the right decision leaving the balance to his team this time around, and it absolutely shows. Almost the entire cast is viable. In a 70+ roster. It's nuts just how much variety there is in Ultimate tournaments, even several months after its release. By this time in Brawl and Smash 4, the top dogs had already heavily established themselves.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because in the Top 16 for Ultimate of that tourney, there was a solid amount of hype for the ICs player that made it super far. :D
That player is still in the Loser Bracket, if I recall right.

Sakurai made the right decision leaving the balance to his team this time around, and it absolutely shows. Almost the entire cast is viable. In a 70+ roster. It's nuts just how much variety there is in Ultimate tournaments, even several months after its release. By this time in Brawl and Smash 4, the top dogs had already heavily established themselves.

yeah it's really awesome. sure, some s-tier characters have revealed themselves already but it still feels like anything can happen in terms of the overall roster. on any given day you can have strong showings from any number of characters. I also love that the balance has a lot of match up dependent character switches going on too. feels like you have to at least have 2 characters that you're good with and character switches are way more frequent than I've seen in past smash tournaments.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
There's no notice about replays being deleted so it's probably just some bug fixes unrelated to gameplay