• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, today has been one of those "why am I doing this to myself" days. Constant bad match ups, lag, and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
The game is so good literally the only change I would make is change victory themes so they sound melee orchestral style over the midis and give aech character their own.

Everything else is so good.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Man, I'm trying to have fun online but I'm just losing every, single, match. It seems like I'm only pitted against better opponents. The fun level is dropping fast

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Man, I'm trying to have fun online but I'm just losing every, single, match. It seems like I'm only pitted against better opponents. The fun level is dropping fast

Whenever I start losing a lot I like to save a replay and watch it. Often times you'll be embarrassed of how predictable/clumsy you are, it's a good way to pick out your own habits and think about what you could have done better. Take breaks, you'll go on a winning streak soon enough.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it sucks that the Cloud amiibo doesn't do anything in FFVII

and that Ryu doesn't do anything for the SF collection

stay winning, Bayonetta

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
it sucks that the Cloud amiibo doesn't do anything in FFVII

and that Ryu doesn't do anything for the SF collection

stay winning, Bayonetta
I feel like Ryu & Ken's Amiibos would do something for a new SF game (see Mega Man 11). A shame that USFIV & SFV have Sony exclusivity deals and SFVI will probably never hit the Switch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are we hoping for in terms of buffs/nerfs in Patch 3.0.0?

I'd like it if Lucas got some major buffs.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
So what are we hoping for in terms of buffs/nerfs in Patch 3.0.0?

I'd like it if Lucas got some major buffs.

Hopefully no nerfs, or at least any major ones. From playing and watching competition I don't think anyone looks downright oppressive. Would like to see small buffs given to mid-high tier and big buffs given to those with huge flaws.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a great session with Lucas tonight when the last few days have been a disaster, so to celebrate I'm gonna give Mother 3 another shot. Stupid angry guitar boss.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
comic609.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=040819

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got into Elite Smash with Lucas and made some headway, proceeded to lose it all. Ness is absolutely my worst match up and I'm enough of a moron to constantly fall into Ganondorf's Smash attacks.

Fuck Incineroar's Revenge. He should not be able to do 80+ damage off a single hit. That's bullshit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucas is the most worthless character in the game holy shit

Why am I doing this to myself

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lucas is a pretty solid character, some rough matchups sure, but nothing unwinnable. You should head to the lucas discord if you are feeling like you arent making any progress.

Lucas has so many options once he gets you off stage, d-smash on ledge, pk freeze, pk thunder, fair off stage, bair off stage, pk fire. Almost any one of those is a kill. As for neutral, short hop fair and retreating pk fire are great. nair is good out of shield and full hop dair can catch alot of people.

Lucas feels best at mid range, I find I lose with him alot if im going in too much.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucas is a pretty solid character, some rough matchups sure, but nothing unwinnable. You should head to the lucas discord if you are feeling like you arent making any progress.

Do you have a link? I've tried youtube tutorials but there aren't really any.

Lucas has so many options once he gets you off stage, d-smash on ledge, pk freeze, pk thunder, fair off stage, bair off stage, pk fire. Almost any one of those is a kill. As for neutral, short hop fair and retreating pk fire are great. nair is good out of shield and full hop dair can catch alot of people.

Lucas feels best at mid range, I find I lose with him alot if im going in too much.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted some thoughts as well to help out, as for the link

https://smashcords.com/smash-5#

just scroll down and click on lucas. I was considering maining lucas for a bit so I was in the discord for a bit and there is some good resources there.

Thank you kindly.

I tend to try and zone with Lucas using PK Fire and ZAir, but I think my issue is that he feels like too much effort for little payoff. People keep falling out of DAir which leads to punishes, and he feels like he doesn't have a lot of options to approach, and what he does have is slow and unafe. Like whenever I fight Donkey Kong, as an example, I can't get close without getting wrecked.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like plant needs some better aggressive aerials. She needs to be able to discourage opponents from simply running and camping her. With that being said I think plant could actually be pretty good in doubles.

Thank you kindly.

I tend to try and zone with Lucas using PK Fire and ZAir, but I think my issue is that he feels like too much effort for little payoff. People keep falling out of DAir which leads to punishes, and he feels like he doesn't have a lot of options to approach, and what he does have is slow and unafe. Like whenever I fight Donkey Kong, as an example, I can't get close without getting wrecked.

Yeah, my personal take is lucas definitely struggles if people get on top of him, which is why he isnt high tier. That being said, resetting the neutral isnt too hard for him and his zone where he is dangerous is definitely scary for alot of opponents. Lucas rewards people who are patient enough to crack open their opponent without getting too aggressive. IMO

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like plant needs some better aggressive aerials. She needs to be able to discourage opponents from simply running and camping her. With that being said I think plant could actually be pretty good in doubles.

Yeah, my personal take is lucas definitely struggles if people get on top of him, which is why he isnt high tier. That being said, resetting the neutral isnt too hard for him and his zone where he is dangerous is definitely scary for alot of opponents. Lucas rewards people who are patient enough to crack open their opponent without getting too aggressive. IMO

That's probably the crux of my issues then. While I try to be patient with Lucas I vastly prefer rushdown and constant pressure, which is probably why I have better results with Ness, who can zip around the arena throwing out damage and PK Fire traps.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Plant's decent, but has some major issues. He's a fast faller, but has a weird jump that doesn't take advantage of it. Plant's attacks that would be decent for neutral are all very short range. Decent aerials in a vacuum, but with their fall speed they just end up being awkward to hit with.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had a Pushblock analysis since before launch, blast from the past

I will miss the Landing Lag Lightning Round but that was so nice. Recreating G&W's congratulations video was also a cute touch. I hope he does Bayonetta next just because...wow, what a change.

Also the crouch segment reminds me of this great video from smash 4

wow that's the thumbnail huh

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this 3.0 update gives my piranha plant some buffs, the app better be included in this too, taking too long for just an app

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Remember that one time they had Infantry and Tanks as a spirit battle and the battle was exclusive to the event because I&Ts is a store exclusive?

They haven't did that again, which is a shame. Stuff like that would make these more interesting. I'd love to see what Majora's Mask's spirit battle is.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You know it occurred to me, what if there's actually 3 modes being added in the 3.0 update?
Like yeah the teaser only (seemingly) teased 2 modes, but I started thinking about how there's all these left over bonus game/race to the finish layouts

And, hey, what if those weren't left over ideas and instead planned for their own mode? Seems about as relevant as the left over homerun contest & stage builder listings you know?

Remember that one time they had Infantry and Tanks as a spirit battle and the battle was exclusive to the event because I&Ts is a store exclusive?

They haven't did that again, which is a shame. Stuff like that would make these more interesting. I'd love to see what Majora's Mask's spirit battle is.

It's possible that the Infantry & Tanks spirit battle is just accidentally marked to not show up in the spirit board and they never fixed it?
Which is to say they probably haven't done it again because the other spirits don't have spirit battles just sitting around.

The answer is clear, 3.0 should:
-add new spirits
-give a spirit battle to every spirit who doesn't have one
-put the WoL exclusive spirit battles on spirit board OR, at least, put them in special events. Like Ho-oh has one but I am pretty sure that was not in the recent Flying spirit board event.

Oh by the way, the Smash Art Dojo results are in the news posts now. I love Sakurai's comment on the best shot.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Little Mac seems like one of those characters that's difficult to balance for 1v1 without breaking him in FFAs

idk what Plant's excuse is

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TIL Lucas and Ness can absorb all of Snake's specials, making him basically useless against them.

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can I just point out how much I love the new Electroplankton song?

Olimar has like 1 move, can't stand him. Awful character.

PP isn't even in the same universe as Olimar. I'm not a huge Lil Mac fan either but I'd play him a million times before I play Olimar.

I mean, you can hate Olimar all you want, most people share the sentiment because a good Olimar is really annoying to fight against.
But he's easily one of the best characters in the game. Piranha Plant is fun, but in terms of viability, it is terrible.