• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Brawl victory animation time

Sonic's emerald looked best in Smash 4

Wolf's new victory animation that replaced his arm crossed one is boring

Why is Sakurai obsessed with pigs for Toon Link

I never noticed how off the voice line for "This is Snake, I'm done here" is in Ultimate since Snake doesn't even use his earpiece until he's done talking

Most of these Brawl animations are shorter and stiffer than I remember them being

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Do you ever think how weird it is that they gave Meta Knight actual voiced lines while kirby makes baby noises and dedede ... does.... whatever those noises are supposed to be. Even the Zelda characters dont actually speak
Meta Knight's second pose in Smash 4 seemed to be mistimed. It's clearly supposed to happen when he unfurls his cape (like in Ultimate) but theres a beat between that and the red effect. I love the extra part of the entrance in Ultimate. I think the third pose was best in Brawl, showing the back to the camera is a lot cooler than it following his face.

I love how much more animated Wario's laugh pose is in Ultimate.

Sad that Snake's box pose got changed to him doing kicks

They got rid of Ike fighting for his friends, how could they....at least they still get no sympathy from him, just on a different pose.

I forgot how fucking huge Squirtle was in brawl. The Pokemon Trainer comparison(s) are going to be great.

I never noticed that Lucas's needle had a model change. I wonder why, the needles in Mother 3 were closer to brawl.

Southern twang Wolf rest in peace, we'll never forget you

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Swole Ike fights for his friends when he does the Aether victory animation
Do you ever think how weird it is that they gave Meta Knight actual voiced lines while kirby makes baby noises and dedede ... does.... whatever those noises are supposed to be. Even the Zelda characters dont actually speak
I never liked how it sounded like a bad imitation of his 4Kids voice. Just go all the way with the 4Kids voice if they wanted that sort of voice. I think his Japanese voice actor is his anime voice actor.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Swole Ike fights for his friends when he does the Aether victory animation
Oh they did more costume voices, I like when they do those. Pokemon Trainer, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin & even Little Mac gets in on it.

Alph & Wario should differ too
I never liked how it sounded like a bad imitation of his 4Kids voice. Just go all the way with the 4Kids voice if they wanted that sort of voice. I think his Japanese voice actor is his anime voice actor.
I think the smash voice is way better than 4kids inexplicably vaguely spanish accented metaknight.
I also don't think they sound that similar at all, even the pitch of the two voices is pretty different.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sonic's emerald looked best in Smash 4

Wolf's new victory animation that replaced his arm crossed one is boring

Why is Sakurai obsessed with pigs for Toon Link

I never noticed how off the voice line for "This is Snake, I'm done here" is in Ultimate since Snake doesn't even use his earpiece until he's done talking

Most of these Brawl animations are shorter and stiffer than I remember them being

rip "saur, saur saur SAUR"

rip Lucas's third animation actually being PK Love hexagons

King Dedede's third animation is a marked improvement throughout

tbh mostly I'm just looking at how wretched the Brawl models are and how much they've been improved upon

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
It's not a very good move

uhhh... if a Ganondorf is side b'ing you, it can stop it, so I guess there's that utility?

Oh, and you can kinda scoot along in the air using the dodge function, as it doesn't count as an air dodge.

lmao what

Can anybody help me out: when do you use Joker's neutral special? What's the utility?

if you do the rainstorm version (neutral b, down in the air) it's super useful since you can combo out of it and do some decent damage, as well as edgeguard when the opponent is off the stage

you can also do neutral b on the ground, then hold jump + left/right to cancel into rainstorm and move very quickly. grounded neutral b + jump version into fastfall can combo into upsmash and kill at certain percentages

the gunslide isn't awful, and can be useful in neutral sometimes

arsene version is crazy

overall it seems like a good multi-use move

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
about a million away from outselling Smash 4 combined, but it'll definitely hit that within a year, given the update cycle

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a very good move

uhhh... if a Ganondorf is side b'ing you, it can stop it, so I guess there's that utility?

Oh, and you can kinda scoot along in the air using the dodge function, as it doesn't count as an air dodge.
This is just flat out wrong.

It's a pretty good move. You can gimp a lot of recoveries with it (Just test the downward variation against a Fox off-stage for example), good for mobility, and you can use it OOS to footstool or move to escape situations. Plus of course it's a projectile.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've just had a nearly non-stop losing streak as Mario. Maybe I don't have it anymore? Or the average player is better than they were before? Either way, I seem to win more often with Bowser Jr. now lol. I've joined some arenas where it's on a Twitch stream. That's kind of interesting.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just had a nearly non-stop losing streak as Mario. Maybe I don't have it anymore? Or the average player is better than they were before? Either way, I seem to win more often with Bowser Jr. now lol. I've joined some arenas where it's on a Twitch stream. That's kind of interesting.
I just slightly before getting Elite with Mario and the character is easy to play and hard to master. You really need to learn the basic approaching tools to win with Mario on a higher level. This means forward moving back-airs from a run, crossing shields to land behind opponents and B-Reversals with Fireballs. Then you need to master his grab-game and combo moves to get the most out of a the few times, you break through your opponents. Then play smart in using Cape and FLUDD to gimp, put people in disadvantage and win Neutral. Finally learn to mix-up your recoveries.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
As of a couple minutes ago I have all the spirits again

The Labo spirits being limited to 1 per hour was kind of annoying (and it's only ONE per hour, you only get 1 possible Labo spirit per hour, if you want duplicates you have to wait until the next cycle)

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As of a couple minutes ago I have all the spirits again

The Labo spirits being limited to 1 per hour was kind of annoying (and it's only ONE per hour, you only get 1 possible Labo spirit per hour, if you want duplicates you have to wait until the next cycle)
they respawn sometimes if you already got them

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY wish this game either supported Switch video capture or had a way to hold the capture button to save the replay in the middle of the game. Anything where you didn't have to remember to do it on the results screen.

I had a moment that I am kicking myself for forgetting to save. I was Joker and got knocked down, and didn't have Arsene yet and was too low to make the grappling hook recovery. Then right before I hit the blast zone, I got Arsene, recovered, came back and won. It even did the cut in of Joker's face that time and looked incredibly dramatic.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In general, what do people consider most useful for C/Right stick? Smash attacks or tilts?
I've never been able to really narrow down my preference outside stick tilts for Belmonts

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Ike finally get a redub is one of the more underappreciated things about Ultimate. Good riddace to that flatly delivered "I fight for my friends".

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
In general, what do people consider most useful for C/Right stick? Smash attacks or tilts?
I've never been able to really narrow down my preference outside stick tilts for Belmonts
I like being able to throw out instant smash attacks and, i dont know about anyone else, but i have issues with angled smashes. So often it reads it as a downward input. So my right stick smashes comin out at one angle helps

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I made a stage based on Sub-Zero's old victory pose. Probably not competition legal anytime soon, but I wanted to share:

6d25hQp.jpg

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
most people that I know set it based on whether they accidentally input tilts when trying to smash (in which case they set it to smash) or if they accidentally input smashes when trying to do tilts (in which case they set it to tilts)

if you don't touch the c-stick because your muscle memory with the d-stick is perfect then it doesn't matter, but if you're c-sticking tilts with the Belmonts you may as well c-stick tilts for everyone

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the Goggles in the shop and on the board outside of the event, so I think this update is adding them as regular spirits

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I've seen the Goggles in the shop and on the board outside of the event, so I think this update is adding them as regular spirits
People had been getting them as Classic Mode rewards before the event even happened, as well

I haven't seen them on the board as normal spirits, though. I used all my refreshed testing a bug report for 3.0.0, though so I can't check right now until the shop has more. Read a rumor the let's go spirits stopped spawning after 3.0.0 so I wasted 20 or so refreshes just to check (they still show up, the rumor was false)

I'll do some checking after the event ends to see if they still spawn

No reports of Peachette appearing anywhere

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People had been getting them as Classic Mode rewards before the event even happened, as well

I haven't seen them on the board as normal spirits, though. I used all my refreshed testing a bug report for 3.0.0, though so I can't check right now until the shop has more. Read a rumor the let's go spirits stopped spawning after 3.0.0 so I wasted 20 or so refreshes just to check (they still show up, the rumor was false)

I'll do some checking after the event ends to see if they still spawn

No reports of Peachette appearing anywhere
I meant during the event I've been getting them

It might only be if you already have them, though? IIRC the Let's Go spirits never showed up in the shop even if you had them already until 2.0.0

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The sharing stuff is all handled confusingly. So the app doesn't let you search or see share codes, but you can see your own submitted content. But the game doesn't show you your own submitted content, but you can search for IDs? Why is it like this? Or am I misunderstanding something? I just posted some videos, but they're apparently lost in the void now.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The sharing stuff is all handled confusingly. So the app doesn't let you search or see share codes, but you can see your own submitted content. But the game doesn't show you your own submitted content, but you can search for IDs? Why is it like this? Or am I misunderstanding something? I just posted some videos, but they're apparently lost in the void now.
From what I heard there is some catalogue of your uploaded stuff in the game, it's just placed within creator search or somewhere equally unusual. Could you check that?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Everyone's T-Poses (except Miis because the glitch doesn't work with them)
rY1WQjQ.jpg

as i mentioned briefly in my post about a pokemon trainer custom stage glitch, if you pause on frame 1 of resetting the custom stage test, you can see pokemon trainer T-posing. well i tested some more and theres actually a lot of weird things you can see on frame 1 of resetting the custom stage test.
The most interesting one being if you reset while a character is in kirbys mouth or in yoshis egg, they'll be t-posing!

So here's every character T-posing, minus miis.
the glitch also works with resetting while in a cannon, which would probably be the best way to do it, but i didnt find that out until i already took a screenshot of every character so... yeah.
In case it's not clear how to do the glitch, go into stage builder, make a stage, test it, and have the character you wanna see t-posing in kirbys mouth from neutral B, yoshis egg from neutral B, or a cannon from the stage builder, then hit L+R+A to reset, but pause right as/after you do, if you pause on frame 1 of the reset, you'll see the character t-posing

tl;dr: ridley t-posing is funny just look

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/bi5aaw/every_character_tposing_in_smash_ultimate_minor/

Ridley is TALLLL

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
You can find your own stuff ingame easy enough by using the keyword search and entering your name, I find all my stages by simply searching 'mrpanic' for example. But yeah, that method might not be as useful depending on your username. It's kinda ridiculous there isn't a build in feature that just lists stuff that you made and uploaded yourself, but then again you can't even update or delete stuff you uploaded yourself so the lack of functionality isn't that surprising.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way in smash ultimate to play battlefield/omega version of all stages along with a custom selection of other "acceptable" stages? Doesn't seem to be unless I'm missing something. Basically would just love to be able to, during local play, have a selection of like 10 stages, but whenever final destination or battlefield comes up it chooses a random omega/bf form for music/art variety. Seems possible with stage selection, but not possible with random stages.

Its one thing that has always bugged me about smash, I feel like the options are just short of what I want. Like, I really wish I could set stage hazards on/off on a stage by stage basis, or set stages to omega/battlefield individually. The "all or nothing" options are pretty lacking imo.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way in smash ultimate to play battlefield/omega version of all stages along with a custom selection of other "acceptable" stages? Doesn't seem to be unless I'm missing something. Basically would just love to be able to, during local play, have a selection of like 10 stages, but whenever final destination or battlefield comes up it chooses a random omega/bf form for music/art variety. Seems possible with stage selection, but not possible with random stages.

Its one thing that has always bugged me about smash, I feel like the options are just short of what I want. Like, I really wish I could set stage hazards on/off on a stage by stage basis, or set stages to omega/battlefield individually. The "all or nothing" options are pretty lacking imo.
Kiiiiiind of?
If you select Random after toggling FD or BF, it will randomly select a stage set to that standard. And then you can just set the random stage select to the stages you'd like to see.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Cool glitch allows us to get huge views of stages

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._glitch_reveals_how_big_each_stage_really_is/
  1. Start a VS mode match with 2+ human players (one must be Joker, the other can be anyone with a camera adjusting FS. Also enable FS meter)
  2. Charge up FS for both players.
  3. Have the non-Joker player pause the game, and go to camera controls.
  4. Hold Z to advance frames, and have Joker use his FS during this.
  5. Un-pause the game, and the camera will be messed up after Joker's FS finishes.
  6. Have the other character use their FS to make the camera do various things. (Pac-man for example fixes the camera in one spot, Snake makes the camera slanted, etc.)

The scale of the stages' backgrounds is amazing. I love how some stages have little details behind mountains and stuff that you'd never be able to see in-game.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Darn, I was hoping to find a camera glitch with the advancing trick at one point. I think for some assist trophies, you can bypass their camera lock by advancing. The final boss lets you do this, too, to keep an unlocked camera. But then you have assist trophies like Devil that never unlock your camera for the duration of the battle.

You can find your own stuff ingame easy enough by using the keyword search and entering your name, I find all my stages by simply searching 'mrpanic' for example. But yeah, that method might not be as useful depending on your username. It's kinda ridiculous there isn't a build in feature that just lists stuff that you made and uploaded yourself, but then again you can't even update or delete stuff you uploaded yourself so the lack of functionality isn't that surprising.
Yeah. The app already does this, too. And after uploading something in-game, it suggests you can check, too. It's bad user experience all around. Or you can keep refreshing on the New sort waiting for your content to appear like you're in the airport baggage claim.
Did you know on one of the tabs, the sort menu suddenly gains one more option? But you wouldn't know that unless you opened the menu in each tab. Ridiculous! Back to the drawing board, guys!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I think I found the best use of Last Surprise in a video edited by the in-game video editor.

(I'm the Joker)

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever give a reason to why they disabled taunting in quickplay? It never really made much sense to me.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Close (and sloppy) 1v1 Samus v Samus Elite Smash WAR. I love the end. Definitely looks cool.

Then I messed up what should have been a solid 3 stock with a really unfortunate wrong button press against the same player.

This ended up being a pretty nasty 2 stock.

Ps. Repeating hard hits and KOs in your replays is sooooooo cool looking.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever give a reason to why they disabled taunting in quickplay? It never really made much sense to me.

Considering they went from letting you do a few taunts per stock -> no taunts from Smash 4 -> Ultimate, they probably removed them to prevent people from trying to tilt other people.

Except now people just teabag instead, and you can't taunt kill with Luigi lol. So good job Nintendo.