• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Review Thread

Nov 2, 2017
Smash has some incredibly consistent Metacritic scores.

Melee: 92
Brawl: 93
Wii U: 92
Ultimate: 93

Are there other series that have gone for 4+ games in a row with only a 1-point difference in Metascores?

Oct 27, 2017

Are there other series that have gone for 4+ games in a row with only a 1-point difference in Metascores?
That's because they're all ports of each other. Of course they score similarly. :p

Seriously though, nice to see it is getting good reviews! Also liking what I'm hearing about the aerial options in this game. Less landing lag, etc. I don't enjoy the footsies that much in this game, would love to see more aerial approach options.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say port. I said Deluxe port. Like MK8D. MK8D added an entire battle mode and included all DLC tracks, plus new characters, plus new karts and wheels and gliders, plus Labo support. Thats a Deluxe port. With Smash, they took the already huge WiiU game, added 6 fresh characters and another handful of returning or echo characters. What else did they do? Spirits and WoL. Thats like a whole new mode, like battle arena for MK8D (except way less liked than MK8D battle arena). Oh and they tweaked the stats for all the moves, to mix up the meta. I watched 4 reviews today and most mentioned the reused assets and lack of freshness. They still like the game, as will I, just as I liked MK8D. But "Deluxe Port" is probably the most accurate way to describe the game.
Jesus christ.

Thats what makes it Deluxe.

Melee felt like a substantial sequel because the graphics were so much better, plus side B added
Brawl looked similar to Melee, but had Final Smash as a brand new mechanic plus a grand Single player adventure plus online
WiiU/3DS was the HD upgrade, plus a portable option on 3DS or off-screen on WiiU pad. Up to 8 players on screen possible
Ultimate is like Brawl in that it looks quite similar to the previous title. However unlike Brawl nothing new has been added to the core experience, and the SP campaign looks overly long and cheaply made. There isn't anything here that really advances the series either graphically or gameplay wise, which hasn't been the case for any other Smash title ever.

There are lots of things they could do to change it up. Go full 3D gameplay. Epic destructable stages. Physical liquid/object/smoke effects (nothing pre-scripted). 3 levels of final smash. Team combos like MvC. Pseudo 3D arcade brawler mode like Final Fight or Double Dragon. The possibilities are endless.
Oh wow, it got even worse.

What you're asking for is a different game. "Add a 3d brawler mode, while I ignore that they added a much more sensible expansive rpg lite mode".

I can't wait to see your reaction when mario kart 9 isn't a proper sequel too, because they didn't pivot to an entirely different genre, let's say a professor layton type puzzle game. If mario kart 9 doesn't have us moving matchsticks around using the switch touch screen to complete a puzzle to get some local to give us some information, it's not a real sequel to mario kart 8.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

The closest I can think is God of War

God of War 94
God of War 2 93
God of War Chains of Olimpus 91
God of War 3 92

Edit:Yeah GTA too

GTA Vice City 95
GTA San Andreas 95
GTA 4 98
GTA V 97

Oct 30, 2017
Brawl earned that 93. It's the most ambitious Smash game until ultimate, arguably more so. they just fucked up on a lot of gameplay decisions.
It wasn't until this year that i realized how true your statement is

Smash 4 had the best fan service, but it felt safer with the lack of single player options. Was the first one where i wasn't inclined to complete classic with every character. Only Master Core kept it from being ignored

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Here’s a blast from the past for everybody

1/10 for Smash Bros 64

http://web.archive.org/web/20080611160626/http://www.elecplay.com/reviews_article.php?article=411

Vic will probably give it a 10 on his YouTube channel. How far Smash has come lmao.
This is amazing.

"The funny thing is, Super Smash Bros. is doing quite well on both the rental and the sales charts in spite of my disapproval. I assumed "everyone" could perceive Super Smash Bros. as a cheap cannibalisation of games and characters whose days of glory are long past..."

LOL

This is amazing.

"The funny thing is, Super Smash Bros. is doing quite well on both the rental and the sales charts in spite of my disapproval. I assumed "everyone" could perceive Super Smash Bros. as a cheap cannibalisation of games and characters whose days of glory are long past..."

LOL
Yeah, y'all, Link was so damn past his prime a year after Ocarina

There's seriously something hilarious about an author saying this approximately one-third of the way into most of those characters' current run, and a matter of months after Pokemon blew up in the West

Oct 25, 2017
Scores looking good! Can't wait to play.

I will say this... Smash Ultimate is definitely not a port, but I will agree that in terms of gameplay and aesthetics, it looks to be the smallest jump in between iterations of the franchise. Going from 64 --> Melee, or Melee --> Brawl, or Brawl --> Smash 4 had massive changes in terms of technology and game mechanics. Smash 4 --> Ultimate's progress is a little more subtle, but I also think that Smash 4 had a winning formula, and I'm glad Ultimate builds on it.

But I suppose I should play it first :P

Oct 27, 2017
Nov 2, 2017

Melee felt like a substantial sequel because the graphics were so much better, plus side B added
Brawl looked similar to Melee, but had Final Smash as a brand new mechanic plus a grand Single player adventure plus online
WiiU/3DS was the HD upgrade, plus a portable option on 3DS or off-screen on WiiU pad. Up to 8 players on screen possible
Ultimate is like Brawl in that it looks quite similar to the previous title. However unlike Brawl nothing new has been added to the core experience, and the SP campaign looks overly long and cheaply made. There isn't anything here that really advances the series either graphically or gameplay wise, which hasn't been the case for any other Smash title ever.

There are lots of things they could do to change it up. Go full 3D gameplay. Epic destructable stages. Physical liquid/object/smoke effects (nothing pre-scripted). 3 levels of final smash. Team combos like MvC. Pseudo 3D arcade brawler mode like Final Fight or Double Dragon. The possibilities are endless.
Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's a deluxe port. It fucking isn't. It's a whole new physics engine. And it has a whole new 30 hr plus single player mode. Whether it sucks or not isn't relevant.

You're just completely wrong here. If you're not trolling, then you have problems thinking through your own claims because if you logically follow them through, then almost every sequel is a port.

Want to say the game is too similar to previous versions? That's fine. That's your opinion.

But you can't say it's a fucking deluxe port. We have those. No one is saying mk8d or nsmbud isnt an enhanced port. They are.

Smash ultimate, even without the brand new 30 hour single player still wouldn't be a port.

Oct 28, 2017

So, adding content that Melee elitists and competitive players are largely going to ignore/hate anyways?

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl earned that 93. It's the most ambitious Smash game until ultimate, arguably more so. they just fucked up on a lot of gameplay decisions.
As a casual player, the only thing that annoyed me was tripping. The game had tons of content, a huge cast, a ton of stages, smash ball, a full single-player, boss rush, it's a really great game.

Oct 28, 2017
Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's a deluxe port. It fucking isn't. It's a whole new physics engine. And it has a whole new 30 hr plus single player mode. Whether it sucks or not isn't relevant.

You're just completely wrong here. If you're not trolling, then you have problems thinking through your own claims because if you logically follow them through, then almost every sequel is a port.

Want to say the game is too similar to previous versions? That's fine. That's your opinion.

But you can't say it's a fucking deluxe port. We have those. No one is saying mk8d or nsmbud isnt an enhanced port. They are.

Smash ultimate, even without the brand new 30 hour single player still wouldn't be a port.
The funny thing is, if Nintendo ported Smash 4 with no WoL and no gameplay or physics changes at all but adding a cell shaded coat of paint to drastically change the look, nobody would be saying it's a port, lol.