• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Not sure if this has been asked here yet but whats the best way to unlock characters and stages in Smash? I usually run through the single player for that type of thing but is this also something I can do by grinding them out in multiplayer?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people tend to look at the Mortal Kombat or Injustice games as a high mark for single player in these kinds of games, but besides an admittedly high quality story scenario (that you'll likely play once or just watch on YT), what exactly do those games offer that this does not in the single player department?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not sure if this has been asked here yet but whats the best way to unlock characters and stages in Smash? I usually run through the single player for that type of thing but is this also something I can do by grinding them out in multiplayer?
All stages are unlocked from the start.

Characters are unlocked every 10 minutes of playing. If you want to do it even faster, reset the console after unlocking a character to reset that 10-minute timer.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I disagree on the animations part. While they did change a good chunk of them, a lot of the animations look ripped from Smash Wii U (or Brawl in the case of characters like Snake). That's not knocking on Ultimate at all, but to say that all of the animations are different is false (though I think only Street Fighter starts from scratch for numbered sequels these days, 2D-to-3D transitions aside). Even for sound, a lot of voice clips are reused from previous games (Ex: Snake from Brawl, Lucina from Wii U/3DS, etc.).

In short, while the "Smash Ultimate is an enhanced port" narrative is false, so is the "Everything in Smash Ultimate was redone from scratch" narrative.
Ultimate was definitely built off of the skeleton of Wii U, but my point was if you look at certain characters side to side, you see the differences at first glance. There is more than enough evidence at first glance to say this is a new-looking game, and does not resemble a port in any way.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I really, really regret pre-ordering physical. It shipped today and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow some time before 11pm. So I'll probably be waiting on this all day and night.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Funny thing is, some reviews say that Ultimate is "only the best version of Smash", like if the game needs to change lots of things to achieve a bigger scores. The same reviewers gave RDR2 10s, a game that aside from the graphics and some changes to make it more slow and realistic, plays like any R* game from 8 or 10 years ago.

It's hard for me to understand how their minds work.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Best Smash Bros this month, and what's looking to be possibly the best Resident Evil next month

WE LIVING THE DREAM, FAM

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely suck at Smash, so I'll be renting it and staying away from online. Excited about the World of Light single-player mode though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I really, really regret pre-ordering physical. It shipped today and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow some time before 11pm. So I'll probably be waiting on this all day and night.
I had to cancel mine with the amazon discount because I forgot to change the address until it was too late(was going to my parents house 6 hrs away) so I'm braving Walmart or GameStop tomorrow(well I needed to pickup my copy of genesis classics anyways)

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't follow the game much because this is a mandatory buy for me, since I never bought any Smash game, only played them a lot on my brothers/nephews systems.

What I read in one of the reviews about WoL is music to my ears. I mean I loved the SSE mode in the previous game (my nephew at the time was really young and had a hard time finishing the mode so I helped him and loved the mode), but the concept of the spirits fights with stages and mechanics adapting to represent a character is wonderful imo and it looks like it's really well done. This seems to be the perfect "work commute mode" :)

Didn't know there was like a 100 stages, this is awesome, the soundtrack must be insanely good :)

Really can't wait to play this and finally start smash online after all this time, but also and especially can't wait to bring friends home on sunday and start brawling locally :)

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Surprised there isn't a 6-7/10 yet. There's always gotta be that one reviewer...

Misterman

Jun 10, 2018
Funny thing is, some reviews say that Ultimate is "only the best version of Smash", like if the game needs to change lots of things to achieve a bigger scores. The same reviewers gave RDR2 10s, a game that aside from the graphics and some changes to make it more slow and realistic, plays like any R* game from 8 or 10 years ago.

It's hard for me to understand how their minds work.
Yeah, I really don't get it. The reviews of RDR2 are so great but I can't help but feel the game is just good, not great. Compared to other games rated similarly I don't think it compares. I feel like it only got that rating from hype and popularity of Rockstar. Maybe afraid people wouldn't take them seriously if they rated it lower? I think I'm just tired of Rockstar's formula.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Best Smash Bros this month, and what's looking to be possibly the best Resident Evil next month

WE LIVING THE DREAM, FAM
GAMECUBE IS BACK!

tenor.gif

Lol, it's true...

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Oh god this week I had a delivery arriving between 8am and 8pm (ugh).
It finally turned up at... 7:55pm.
I was so annoyed I couldn't even look at the delivery man, my brother (who had just arrived) took the parcel in lol.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
All I am waiting for is digital foundry. Would love to see a tech analysis

"Smash is a portable marvel but is held back from looking good on your 4K TV due to it being on the underpowered Switch. But let's imagine what it would be like on Xbox One X or in 8K with the rumoured PS5 specs"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people tend to look at the Mortal Kombat or Injustice games as a high mark for single player in these kinds of games, but besides an admittedly high quality story scenario (that you'll likely play once or just watch on YT), what exactly do those games offer that this does not in the single player department?
The quality story scenarios and cutscenes are specifically what is desired. Of course the gameplay will always be basically the same.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like the typical Era console warrior than DF
This. Don't know why the more immature gaming enthusiasts have something against deep dives into tech; it shouldn't be utilized to espouse hyperbole or build false narratives, it's merely fascinating to learn about the game's technologies and progressions from previous titles. Having some type of issue with tech dives exposes that one may have some fairly disturbing and regressive views towards educating one's self about their hobby, if for no other reason than the mere joy of learning.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"Smash is a portable marvel but is held back from looking good on your 4K TV due to it being on the underpowered Switch. But let's imagine what it would be like on Xbox One X or in 8K with the rumoured PS5 specs"

More like

"we saw some dips in fps here and there, more noticiable when playing 8 player ice climbers match on great cave offensive. Overall making it into a flawed but enjoyable experience"

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
This. Don't know why the more immature gaming enthusiasts have something against deep dives into tech; it shouldn't be utilized to espouse hyperbole or build false narratives, it's merely fascinating to learn about the game's technologies and progressions from previous titles. Having some type of issue with tech dives exposes that one may have some fairly disturbing and regressive views towards educating one's self about their hobby, if for no other reason than the mere joy of learning.

Perfect