• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed that the game seems to get a pass on the semingly awful online mode. I mean it could be so much more than a couch-game to only play with your friends, and should be judged with that in mind.

Online hasn't been enabled for reviewers. It's probably only been live for a couple hours now. Where are you hearing that it's awful?

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed that the game seems to get a pass on the semingly awful online mode. I mean it could be so much more than a couch-game to only play with your friends, and should be judged with that in mind.

What makes you say its awful? The streams I'm watching look 100% playable; ive seen maybe one match that was bad.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Do characters unlock randomly?

Yes and no I believe. From what I read in reviews, you can unlock everyone randomly by just playing and beating the "A new challenge approaches" random fights. But you can also unlock specific characters by going down specific paths in the World of Light mode (no idea if you can find them all there, or just some).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say port. I said Deluxe port. Like MK8D. MK8D added an entire battle mode and included all DLC tracks, plus new characters, plus new karts and wheels and gliders, plus Labo support. Thats a Deluxe port. With Smash, they took the already huge WiiU game, added 6 fresh characters and another handful of returning or echo characters. What else did they do? Spirits and WoL. Thats like a whole new mode, like battle arena for MK8D (except way less liked than MK8D battle arena). Oh and they tweaked the stats for all the moves, to mix up the meta. I watched 4 reviews today and most mentioned the reused assets and lack of freshness. They still like the game, as will I, just as I liked MK8D. But "Deluxe Port" is probably the most accurate way to describe the game.

Remodeled characters, remodeled characters, reworked mechanics. What more could they possibly do? Cel-shade the game?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I didn't say port. I said Deluxe port. Like MK8D. MK8D added an entire battle mode and included all DLC tracks, plus new characters, plus new karts and wheels and gliders, plus Labo support. Thats a Deluxe port. With Smash, they took the already huge WiiU game, added 6 fresh characters and another handful of returning or echo characters. What else did they do? Spirits and WoL. Thats like a whole new mode, like battle arena for MK8D (except way less liked than MK8D battle arena). Oh and they tweaked the stats for all the moves, to mix up the meta. I watched 4 reviews today and most mentioned the reused assets and lack of freshness. They still like the game, as will I, just as I liked MK8D. But "Deluxe Port" is probably the most accurate way to describe the game.
Lmao still

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Just so this is absolutely clear, if all of that content isn't enough for you, then listen to the best Smash 4 player in the world share his thoughts. This was back in July. 2:30 onwards

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
The game fundamentally plays different. They didn't just take Smash 4 and slap on new characters and a couple of "modes". Plus you're completely discounting new assets made from the ground up because there are some older assets included. Ultimate is more of a sequel than Galaxy 2, IMO.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
So I asked for this game for Christmas so I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can get my hands on it. Whats the preorder bonus character and what are the chances it'll be available for purchase later?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I asked for this game for Christmas so I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can get my hands on it. Whats the preorder bonus character and what are the chances it'll be available for purchase later?

The Piranha Plant is the bonus character and it's not just for preorders, you can get it for free if you buy the game before January 31st I believe.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There is no pre-order bonus character. There is an early-adopter character (Piranha Plant), but you have until the end of January to register your game to get that character for free. After that you'd need to pay.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The game fundamentally plays different. They didn't just take Smash 4 and slap on new characters and a couple of "modes". Plus you're completely discounting new assets made from the ground up because there are some older assets included. Ultimate is more of a sequel than Galaxy 2, IMO.
There's no sense in arguing with them anymore, they have obviously made up there mind what this game is. They are wrong but that doesn't seem relevant to them.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Opens thread, sees port, backs out.

Has anyones game shipped yet if they preordered? I never preorder but got it cheaper from Amazon in August. Gonna be annoyed if it comes saturday or later...

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
There's no sense in arguing with them anymore, they have obviously made up there mind what this game is. They are wrong but that doesn't seem relevant to them.
Eh, they can believe what they want. It's silly that the sentiment is still roaming around like a bad rumor after a defamation case has been closed.

Jul 20, 2018
Opens thread, sees port, backs out.

Has anyones game shipped yet if they preordered? I never preorder but got it cheaper from Amazon in August. Gonna be annoyed if it comes saturday or later...

Maybe irrelevant to you specifically but I pre-ordered from Best Buy and it shipped yesterday and is expected to arrive tomorrow. Haven't received a game late from them or from Amazon when I used to pre-order there. I'm in the US if it's important.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Eh, they can believe what they want. It's silly that the sentiment is still roaming around like a bad rumor after a defamation case has been closed.
Yes it's been open and shut, it's really the only thing detractors of the game can point too because everything else is so overwhelmingly positive. It's too similar to old games but people don't want the fundamentals to change, anyone who does should just play something else lol

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

All of this confusion stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what was actually developed.

Here's an example: How many "brand new" stages were added in Ultimate? At a glance, you'd say the answer was 4. And that's kind of true, but it's not really true.

How many brand new stages were actually made for Ultimate? 85. There were 85 new stages developed for Ultimate. All of the stages from 64, Melee, Brawl, and 3DS had to be remade from scratch.

22-stage-comparisons-between-super-smash-bros-brawl-wii-u-and-ultim.jpg

This is why people get so annoyed by the "It's just a deluxe port" argument. Because it's not. If anything, it's much closer to a remake than a port.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's been open and shut, it's really the only thing detractors of the game can point too because everything else is so overwhelmingly positive. It's too similar to old games but people don't want the fundamentals to change, anyone who does should just play something else lol
I would be so sad if they changed things like movesets and stages entirely for the sake of making people not think it's just a new coat of paint.

One thing I'm seeing more is the complaint of having to unlock characters and that it only appeals to the diehard fans and pushes away those who want an accessible party game, but I honestly don't think the latter will care that they can't play as obscure beloved characters like King K.Rool right away.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really, really regret pre-ordering physical. It shipped today and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow some time before 11pm. So I'll probably be waiting on this all day and night.

Who is delivering your game? Mine is the USPS, and usually the delivery time is by 8 or 9 (I forget which), but my guess is that either/combination of HW's funeral and simply being the holiday season, I think the mail service is working longer hours.

My mail has been arriving pretty consistently the past few days; but it has been later in the day compared to the start of the year. Not sure if you're familiar with what time the postal service usually delivers to your home.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I haven't seen this in any of the reviews yet: How long has it taken people to unlock all the characters? I know people said WoL took them 20+ hours, but did they unlock the whole roster well before that?

Hello! I reviewed the game, so - FWIW, 'naturally' with no cheesing, I think around 10 hours. You can probably take that down to around 6 if you knowingly make some adjustments to how you play. If you really want to cheese, there's a method you can do that'll bring it down to around 2 hours.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate won't be a true sequel until it's a space flight simulator instead of a fighting game

Oct 27, 2017

Comparing Ultimate to MK8D is embarassing

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hello! I reviewed the game, so - FWIW, 'naturally' with no cheesing, I think around 10 hours. You can probably take that down to around 6 if you knowingly make some adjustments to how you play. If you really want to cheese, there's a method you can do that'll bring it down to around 2 hours.
Thanks!

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Its a weird argument to have that this is a "deluxe" version of the Wii U Smash. The new features, characters, and stat balances are literally what make a fighting game sequel.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017

You conveniently leave out the fact that the gameplay is different. Significantly different. MK8D plays the same as MK8.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018

This is desperation to prove a point, I love it!

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
The Ignore button is a great feature guys, don't let one poster derails the thread with their bad opinion.
Feels like it will take at least to see how online shakes out. Just because online is open now doesn't mean it's under the best condition considering 90% percent of the world can't play it yet.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Remodeled characters, remodeled characters, reworked mechanics. What more could they possibly do? Cel-shade the game?
Thats what makes it Deluxe.

Melee felt like a substantial sequel because the graphics were so much better, plus side B added
Brawl looked similar to Melee, but had Final Smash as a brand new mechanic plus a grand Single player adventure plus online
WiiU/3DS was the HD upgrade, plus a portable option on 3DS or off-screen on WiiU pad. Up to 8 players on screen possible
Ultimate is like Brawl in that it looks quite similar to the previous title. However unlike Brawl nothing new has been added to the core experience, and the SP campaign looks overly long and cheaply made. There isn't anything here that really advances the series either graphically or gameplay wise, which hasn't been the case for any other Smash title ever.

There are lots of things they could do to change it up. Go full 3D gameplay. Epic destructable stages. Physical liquid/object/smoke effects (nothing pre-scripted). 3 levels of final smash. Team combos like MvC. Pseudo 3D arcade brawler mode like Final Fight or Double Dragon. The possibilities are endless.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Who is delivering your game? Mine is the USPS, and usually the delivery time is by 8 or 9 (I forget which), but my guess is that either/combination of HW's funeral and simply being the holiday season, I think the mail service is working longer hours.

My mail has been arriving pretty consistently the past few days; but it has been later in the day compared to the start of the year. Not sure if you're familiar with what time the postal service usually delivers to your home.
I just checked, and mine is also being delivered by USPS, which is good news. Typically they come by two or three in the afternoon.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, Ultimate just seems like a port of the N64 game. I know they added a ton of content but its still the same game basically /s

These review scores are making this wait unbearable.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats what makes it Deluxe.

Melee felt like a substantial sequel because the graphics were so much better, plus side B added
Brawl looked similar to Melee, but had Final Smash as a brand new mechanic plus a grand Single player adventure plus online
WiiU/3DS was the HD upgrade, plus a portable option on 3DS or off-screen on WiiU pad. Up to 8 players on screen possible
Ultimate is like Brawl in that it looks quite similar to the previous title. However unlike Brawl nothing new has been added to the core experience, and the SP campaign looks overly long and cheaply made. There isn't anything here that really advances the series either graphically or gameplay wise, which hasn't been the case for any other Smash title ever.

There are lots of things they could do to change it up. Go full 3D gameplay. Epic destructable stages. Physical liquid/object/smoke effects (nothing pre-scripted). 3 levels of final smash. Team combos like MvC. Pseudo 3D arcade brawler mode like Final Fight or Double Dragon. The possibilities are endless.

No offense intended, but this is deluded.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, BotW is just a Deluxe port of NES Zelda.

Just don't think too much about it or the comparison won't work doe

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Ironically, Smash is one of those highly anticipated games that would be perfectly OK to not review too favourably.
Smash is a perfect example of a game "not for everyone". A 7/10 to Smash would be much less clickbaity than the same score given to Breath of the Wild. I, for one, never enjoyed Melee and would have dropped Smash completely if not for multiplayer.
A 7/10 works as long as the arguments are good. However, in most cases they're just simply wrong or plays on the reviewer's biases/impatience.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
So many reviews following the scheme "amazing game, best of the series, incredible content, remarkable, unforgettable" -> 9/10

Tough....

julian

Oct 27, 2017
All stages are unlocked from the start.

Characters are unlocked every 10 minutes of playing. If you want to do it even faster, reset the console after unlocking a character to reset that 10-minute timer.

I don't get it. Why wouldn't the counter reset itself after 10 minutes? What does exiting the game do?

Also, debating just downloading this. My physical copy is in the mail....must....resist....

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im 35 and i have seen a lot of shit in this industry, i was in the room when melee was revealed and was a die hard smash bros fan even on that day as a result of 64. Smash 64 ——> melee transition is a once in 15-30 year or even lifetime event. It just doesnt happen. And youre talking about the right creator coming along, seeing how to improve his and iwatas own experiment and then going full throttle crazy creative. Comparing anything to the smash 64 ————> melee transition is truly absurd IMO.